White House Gives In On Bush-Era Tax Cuts

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » White House gives in on Bush-Era Tax Cuts
White House gives in on Bush-Era Tax Cuts
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-13 11:06:55
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
@Spicy, I've always used the words as synonyms of each other, I'm kind of surprised that they aren't direct ones, I'll file a request to the dictionary people later to correct it, since they have a common one. Until then, good night and have a wonderful day.

fixed, damn I was tired when I wrote that.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-13 11:09:18
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Milamber said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
@Spicy, I've always used the words as synapses of each other, I'm kind of surprised that they aren't direct ones, I'll file a request to the dictionary people later to correct it, since they have a common one. Until then, good night and have a wonderful day.

That word doesn't mean what you think it does...

indeed, was tired. Fixed now.
 Phoenix.Darki
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-11-13 18:21:15
Link | Citer | R

I hear how people whine over paying taxes for poor people, yet they don't realize they have to pay taxes regardless poor people get help or not, and if poor people don't get help from taxes, guess who's shoving all that money in the pockets? no, they aren't going to invest it to make the world a better place, no they aren't giving it back to you, yes they are going to somehow shove it down their pockets.

Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-14 02:03:38
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Darki said:
I hear how people whine over paying taxes for poor people, yet they don't realize they have to pay taxes regardless poor people get help or not, and if poor people don't get help from taxes, guess who's shoving all that money in the pockets? no, they aren't going to invest it to make the world a better place, no they aren't giving it back to you, yes they are going to somehow shove it down their pockets.

More or less, you are right, (typically).
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-11-14 07:34:43
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Obama's plan to make the lower- and middle-income tax cuts permanent would add a little more than $3 trillion to the national debt over the next decade, according to congressional estimates. Extending tax cuts for the wealthy would add $700 billion more.

The sticker shock of adding nearly $4 trillion to the national debt has some Democrats wary of making any of the tax cuts permanent, especially after Obama's deficit commission issued a report last week outlining painful spending and tax proposals to rein in the government's finances.

Republicans are less concerned about adding to the debt through tax cuts, despite criticizing deficit spending.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Luz
By Luz 2010-11-14 08:10:52
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Quote:
Obama's plan to make the lower- and middle-income tax cuts permanent would add a little more than $3 trillion to the national debt over the next decade, according to congressional estimates. Extending tax cuts for the wealthy would add $700 billion more.

The sticker shock of adding nearly $4 trillion to the national debt has some Democrats wary of making any of the tax cuts permanent, especially after Obama's deficit commission issued a report last week outlining painful spending and tax proposals to rein in the government's finances.

Republicans are less concerned about adding to the debt through tax cuts, despite criticizing deficit spending.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

I thought that was Republicans touting 2010 as a referendum on smaller government when so many voted because the government isn't doing enough to stimulate job (and thus economic) growth :O

Nothing says hypocrisy like we oppose auto bailout that saved an jobs and an industry that is now turning profits for 81b, but we support tax cuts to people making over $250k that will cost $700b a year (that figure only accounts for the $250k+ extension).

If you truly support free market principles then that's fine, oppose the bailout. It was a reasonable stance imo. But people wanting smaller government AND the government to generate jobs are kidding themselves thinking opposing the auto bailout would do any good for their situation with more people out of work to compete against them for jobs, with more people that have no income to stimulate economic growth.

That is some damn good hypocrisy :(
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-14 13:36:02
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Quote:

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Are these numbers even accurate? even if by chance they are, lol.
 Phoenix.Excelior
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-14 13:39:50
Link | Citer | R

Too bad that the tax cuts create jobs. Obama's people need to take some economics courses, and realize that you're losing cash by way of the tax cuts, but since business will expand and people will spend more you the taxes back in sheer volume. /facepalm.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-14 13:41:38
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Too bad that the tax cuts create jobs. Obama's people need to take some economics courses, and realize that you're losing cash by way of the tax cuts, but since business will expand and people will spend more you the taxes back in sheer volume. /facepalm.

prove it. Prove that they won't take the money to their overseas interests and say "*** you America," just because they live here, doesn't mean they want to invest here.
 Luz
By Luz 2010-11-14 13:45:13
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:

Um... wasn't that the principle behind the Bush tax cuts to begin with. Pretty sure it didn't work out that way since they did add to the debt. Tax cuts do help create jobs (says the CBO) but even the CBO admits they are low on the list of efficient ways to stimulate job growth. I'll find the link, one sec.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-14 13:45:14
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
prove it. Prove that they won't take the money to their overseas interests and say "*** you America," just because they live here, doesn't mean they want to invest here.

Prove that they wont. Prove that Obama won't try to spend it on something worthless? You can't. Most of economics is theory and prediction.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-14 13:46:37
Link | Citer | R

Luz said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Um... wasn't that the principle behind the Bush tax cuts to begin with. Pretty sure it didn't work out that way since they did add to the debt. Tax cuts do help create jobs (says the CBO) but even the CBO admits they are low on the list of efficient ways to stimulate job growth. I'll find the link, one sec.

There were more factors than just that. The Tax cuts didn't create the deficit spending did. If you spend less and cut taxes then you create jobs and have a stronger budget. Obama's problem is he wants to keep tax cuts and keep spending.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2010-11-14 14:07:39
Link | Citer | R

People who keep repeatedly mentioning how tax cuts create jobs, provide proof and cite sources. Right now you are merely parroting political talking heads who know this makes them sound good to voters.

During a recession/depression companies do not want to spend money hiring people or investing in infrastructure because they feel this is risky. In order to combat this governments provide some sort of stimulus (many different ways to do this as bailouts, New Deal, etc) to show that their country is not a risky place and the encourage private businesses to invest. This is part of John Maynard Keynes's models that were developed during the Great Depression.

Going back to these tax cuts -that have been in place for a few years- they have not provided more jobs. Just by keeping them in place does not miraculously provide new jobs. In fact these tax cuts are for individuals and not businesses so I'm super confused as to how people think this will automatically create jobs.

These tax cuts are provided to increase spending.....you know to make people go out and buy stuff.

However, people have not been doing that, they have been saving because they feel the country has too much risk and they want to keep their money. Which brings into play the whole "paradox of saving" but that is something else.

So you want the country to get better then go spend your money! This has been the mantra from the US government since John F. Kennedy in the 1950's. It's why every year, every president encourages people to go out and buy stuff during the xmas season. This is a consumer driven economy, not a product driven economy.

Luz
By Luz 2010-11-14 14:11:29
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Luz said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:

There were more factors than just that. The Tax cuts didn't create the deficit spending did. If you spend less and cut taxes then you create jobs and have a stronger budget. Obama's problem is he wants to keep tax cuts and keep spending.

Obama wants to keep tax cuts for people making under $250k. What exactly do Republicans want to cut? I'm curious because I may be for it too but I never hear them say what they want cut because they're afraid to lose their fear-based voters if they say anything.

I feel like I might be getting something mixed up here so correct me if I am wrong...

On the CBO's front page it says the 2010 deficit was $1.3t, letting the cuts expire for the upper class is not going to thrust them into the middle class... $700b off $1.3t is over half the deficit for 2010 for example. I agree that's not enough, we would still be adding $600b a year onto the debt.

I want to hear why these cuts will be devastating to the upper class who live comfortably and will probably invest the money anyway... and I want to hear what we should cut because I agree spending does need reduced. I hear nothing about what should be cut though, beyond the wasteful spare parts program the military has.

I think the military should have spending cut drastically, it is such a huge amount of our budget... We're spending far more than we were during the Cold War and have no global power that opposes us (maybe China for those of you with Xenophobia) with power projection (China doesn't have blue water navy) and any incentive to want to go to war with us (US is as important to China as they are to us).

I don't see how the military spending keeps going up when we're not fighting conventional wars. Can it really be more costly to occupy countries with developing governments than to fight conventional wars? Some money is being wasted on our military I think.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-14 14:15:48
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said:
People who keep repeatedly mentioning how tax cuts create jobs, provide proof and cite sources. Right now you are merely parroting political talking heads who know this makes them sound good to voters. During a recession/depression companies do not want to spend money hiring people or investing in infrastructure because they feel this is risky. In order to combat this governments provide some sort of stimulus (many different ways to do this as bailouts, New Deal, etc) to show that their country is not a risky place and the encourage private businesses to invest. This is part of John Maynard Keynes's models that were developed during the Great Depression. Going back to these tax cuts -that have been in place for a few years- they have not provided more jobs. Just by keeping them in place does not miraculously provide new jobs. In fact these tax cuts are for individuals and not businesses so I'm super confused as to how people think this will automatically create jobs. These tax cuts are provided to increase spending.....you know to make people go out and buy stuff. However, people have not been doing that, they have been saving because they feel the country has too much risk and they want to keep their money. Which brings into play the whole "paradox of saving" but that is something else. So you want the country to get better then go spend your money! This has been the mantra from the US government since John F. Kennedy in the 1950's. It's why every year, every president encourages people to go out and buy stuff during the xmas season. This is a consumer driven economy, not a product driven economy.

I think you mean the "paradox of thrift". Also the tax cuts for $250k and over affect small businesses who are taxed within that bracket.

Also here is information on tax cuts and deficit:

http://www.american.com/archive/2007/november-december-magazine-contents/guess-who-really-pays-the-taxes

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba641

Here's this:

a recent study by Christina D. Romer, one of President Obama's top economic advisers, found that a dollar of tax cuts raises gross domestic product (GDP) by about $3, more than twice the effect of a dollar increase in government spending

Let me know when you want more.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-14 14:18:32
Link | Citer | R

Luz said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Luz said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Obama wants to keep tax cuts for people making under $250k. What exactly do Republicans want to cut? I'm curious because I may be for it too but I never hear them say what they want cut because they're afraid to lose their fear-based voters if they say anything. I feel like I might be getting something mixed up here so correct me if I am wrong... On the CBO's front page it says the 2010 deficit was $1.3t, letting the cuts expire for the upper class is not going to thrust them into the middle class... $700b off $1.3t is over half the deficit for 2010 for example. I agree that's not enough, we would still be adding $600b a year onto the debt. I want to hear why these cuts will be devastating to the upper class who live comfortably and will probably invest the money anyway... and I want to hear what we should cut because I agree spending does need reduced. I hear nothing about what should be cut though, beyond the wasteful spare parts program the military has. I think the military should have spending cut drastically, it is such a huge amount of our budget... We're spending far more than we were during the Cold War and have no global power that opposes us (maybe China for those of you with Xenophobia) with power projection (China doesn't have blue water navy) and any incentive to want to go to war with us (US is as important to China as they are to us). I don't see how the military spending keeps going up when we're not fighting conventional wars. Can it really be more costly to occupy countries with developing governments than to fight conventional wars? Some money is being wasted on our military I think.

Let me put this in perspective for you. My uncle who has no education owns a private construction company. He makes about $1,000,000 a year in income but pays most of that out to his many employees. If he had taxes raised he would have to cut wages and or fire employees. It is better for him, in this example, to have those tax cuts in place so he can keep people employeed and continue to expand. He isn't a minority either. Most small businesses bring in similiar figures.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2010-11-14 15:16:02
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:

Here's this:

a recent study by Christina D. Romer, one of President Obama's top economic advisers, found that a dollar of tax cuts raises gross domestic product (GDP) by about $3, more than twice the effect of a dollar increase in government spending

Let me know when you want more.

Actually, if you read her study (a draft easily available) what they proposed is that economists might try to account for the intent of the legislature that puts the tax change into effect (since mapping the effects of tax changes on an economy is essentially impossible, freely admitted by the authors).

They classified these as two types (exo- and endogeneous), with endogeneous being legislature done to counteract specific economic behaviors, and exogeneous being legislature done not to counteract specific economic behaviors.

Again, what they are trying to study is if the intent behind a tax change has an effect on the tax change impact on the economy.

Things to note: page 8, last paragraph,
http://www.econ.berkeley.edu/~cromer/RomerDraft307.pdf said:
In identifying a countercyclical motivation, we take policymakers statements at face value.

Also, the quote you are looking for, on page 41:
Our baseline specification suggests that an exogenous tax increase of one percent of GDP lowers real GDP by roughly three percent. Our many robustness checks for the most part point to a slightly smaller decline, but one that is still well over two percent.

By the basis of the study, if you are trying to counteract the current slump this does not apply.

Another tidbit:
The behavior of output following countercyclical tax changes is only moderately different from that following exogenous actions. This suggests that policymakers efforts to adjust taxes to offset anticipated changes in private economic activity have been largely unsuccessful.

Last but not least:
In considering the implications of these findings, it is important to note that our estimates are not highly precise. The overall estimates of the effects on output are overwhelmingly significant, but the confidence interval is substantial. And when we ask narrower questions – such as how a volatile component of output, such as investment, responds to tax changes, or how output behaves following a narrowly defined type of tax change, such as a deficit-driven change the confidence interval is generally quite wide.

Again, please provide proof. You may win a Nobel prize in economics if you can reliably show the effects of publicly elected officals' legislated tax changes on an economy without any caveats, such as trusting politicians statements at face value.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2010-11-14 15:32:59
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:

Let me put this in perspective for you. My uncle who has no education owns a private construction company. He makes about $1,000,000 a year in income but pays most of that out to his many employees.

Unless I am misinformed, the tax cuts are for personal taxes, not companies/incorporates/businesses.

I highly doubt he takes in $1mil USD as personal income, and then expenses his workers.

What is his personal income (how much does he pay himself)?

Phoenix.Excelior said:
If he had taxes raised he would have to cut wages and or fire employees. It is better for him, in this example, to have those tax cuts in place so he can keep people employeed and continue to expand. He isn't a minority either. Most small businesses bring in similiar figures.

Why would he need to cut wages or fire employees, as these tax changes are on personal income and are carried by the employees themselves (unless they also pertain to employer tax matching)?

He may need to increase wages in order to retain employees; if he has the contracts in place and can use the people, he can either renegotiate existing contracts or roll wage increases up into the pricing for outgoing estimates on new contracts.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2010-11-14 15:46:21
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Milamber said:

Unless I am misinformed, the tax cuts are for personal taxes, not companies/incorporates/businesses.

I was misinformed; it appears that they do impact some businesses, but I can't find the cutoff.

Still, there is a lot you can do to offset an increase in tax. Your uncle may now find a reason to buy a new piece of equipment and use it to reduce the businesses tax burden.

If an increase in taxes is going to force you to cut wages and/or fire people, then you need some assistance with your business. Talk with your accountant and see what options are available. But quite frankly, you won't get rid of the people that allow you to perform the contracts you have.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-14 15:48:11
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Milamber said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Here's this: a recent study by Christina D. Romer, one of President Obama's top economic advisers, found that a dollar of tax cuts raises gross domestic product (GDP) by about $3, more than twice the effect of a dollar increase in government spending Let me know when you want more.
Actually, if you read her study (a draft easily available) what they proposed is that economists might try to account for the intent of the legislature that puts the tax change into effect (since mapping the effects of tax changes on an economy is essentially impossible, freely admitted by the authors). They classified these as two types (exo- and endogeneous), with endogeneous being legislature done to counteract specific economic behaviors, and exogeneous being legislature done not to counteract specific economic behaviors. Again, what they are trying to study is if the intent behind a tax change has an effect on the tax change impact on the economy. Things to note: page 8, last paragraph,
In identifying a countercyclical motivation, we take policymakers statements at face value.
Also, the quote you are looking for, on page 41:
Our baseline specification suggests that an exogenous tax increase of one percent of GDP lowers real GDP by roughly three percent. Our many robustness checks for the most part point to a slightly smaller decline, but one that is still well over two percent.
By the basis of the study, if you are trying to counteract the current slump this does not apply. Another tidbit:
The behavior of output following countercyclical tax changes is only moderately different from that following exogenous actions. This suggests that policymakers efforts to adjust taxes to offset anticipated changes in private economic activity have been largely unsuccessful.
Last but not least:
In considering the implications of these findings, it is important to note that our estimates are not highly precise. The overall estimates of the effects on output are overwhelmingly significant, but the confidence interval is substantial. And when we ask narrower questions – such as how a volatile component of output, such as investment, responds to tax changes, or how output behaves following a narrowly defined type of tax change, such as a deficit-driven change the confidence interval is generally quite wide.
Again, please provide proof. You may win a Nobel prize in economics if you can reliably show the effects of publicly elected officals' legislated tax changes on an economy without any caveats, such as trusting politicians statements at face value.

I have a very limited knowledge in economics. However, liberal economic theory is the most commonly used. If you're asking for how government disenvolvement promotes private sector growth then you're talking about an economist known as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Laffer

The Laffer curve is basically economic theory that shows there has to be a balance between high taxation and low taxation. Many people think that conservatives want to cut all taxes but in fact they are looking for the "ideal range"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_Curve
By Jedigamer 2010-11-14 15:55:01
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Zandra said:
Not at all, I'm dead serious. Keeping more money into the hands of everyone will mean more employment and a better economy than if he taxes them more. Generally, when you lower taxes and thus let people keep more of what they earn, they generally find ways to make more wealth with it. When people make more money, it means they pay more taxes. Conversely, when you take more money from people it generally means that you are making it more difficult to create more wealth, and therefore people tend to create less of it. Because there is less wealth being generated it usually means less tax revenue. It may seem counter intuitive, but it nearly always happens this way.

That's why we had record unemployment after the taxcuts were inacted in 2001? People who say taxcuts spur economical growth don't know what they're talking about honestly.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-14 15:59:37
Link | Citer | R

Jedigamer said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Not at all, I'm dead serious. Keeping more money into the hands of everyone will mean more employment and a better economy than if he taxes them more. Generally, when you lower taxes and thus let people keep more of what they earn, they generally find ways to make more wealth with it. When people make more money, it means they pay more taxes. Conversely, when you take more money from people it generally means that you are making it more difficult to create more wealth, and therefore people tend to create less of it. Because there is less wealth being generated it usually means less tax revenue. It may seem counter intuitive, but it nearly always happens this way.
That's why we had record unemployment after the taxcuts were inacted in 2001? People who say taxcuts spur economical growth don't know what they're talking about honestly.

LOL. You clearly don't understand that economics are subjective and not just black and white. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. That's why there are many economic theories and approaches to each situation. You clearly don't know what you're talking either.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2010-11-14 16:00:48
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
I think you mean the "paradox of thrift". Also the tax cuts for $250k and over affect small businesses who are taxed within that bracket.
It means the same thing, look it up.

Phoenix.Excelior said:
http://www.american.com/archive/2007/november-december-magazine-contents/guess-who-really-pays-the-taxes

Federal Income Tax Brackets For 2010 – Based On Taxable Income

Rate Married filing jointly Most Single Filers
10% Not over $16,750Not over $8,375
15% $16,750 - $68,000$8,375 - $34,000
25% $68,000 - $137,300$34,000 - $82,400
28% $137,300- $209,250$82,400 - $171,850
33% $209,250 - $373,650$171,850 - $373,650
35% Over $373,650Over $373,650

Yep, the the people who make $373,650 a year pay 35%. Personally I feel more for the middle class but hey.

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Pretty much the same news article as above. With the same mis-context quote too.

Phoenix.Excelior said:

http://www.econ.berkeley.edu/~cromer/RomerDraft307.pdf

On page one she starts her abstract telling you what this paper is about. She uses tax data from 1947-2006 and then she uses reports about why this these tax cuts/increases are happening. Those values that are then quoted all over the web is not just empirical data analyzed but also "interrupted".

Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-14 16:03:25
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
It means the same thing, look it up.
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Federal Income Tax Brackets For 2010 – Based On Taxable Income
Rate Married filing jointly Most Single Filers
10% Not over $16,750Not over $8,375
15% $16,750 - $68,000$8,375 - $34,000
25% $68,000 - $137,300$34,000 - $82,400
28% $137,300- $209,250$82,400 - $171,850
33% $209,250 - $373,650$171,850 - $373,650
35% Over $373,650Over $373,650
Yep, the the people who make $373,650 a year pay 35%. Personally I feel more for the middle class but hey.
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Pretty much the same news article as above. With the same mis-context quote too.
Phoenix.Excelior said:
http://www.econ.berkeley.edu/~cromer/RomerDraft307.pdf On page one she starts her abstract telling you what this paper is about. She uses tax data from 1947-2006 and then she uses reports about why this these tax cuts/increases are happening. Those values that are then quoted all over the web is not just empirical data analyzed but also "interrupted".

You're missing the point v.v
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2010-11-14 16:26:00
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
You're missing the point v.v

What point exactly? I think those who are wealthier should be taxed more and I feel more for the middle class who pay only 7-10% less than the "rich". Which means they have less of a real income to use.

I'm not sure about the business tax because I can't find any figures. I'll look for more of those tomorrow.

Maybe when you start working you'll understand my point. Paying taxes suck. But they are necessary to live in society. Do we need to reduce spending? Yes, after we get the situation under control. Do you think the economy is under control?

As to your Uncle who has an income of 1 million, that would be incorrect. When putting together an income statement you must deduct ALL expenses (equipment, depreciation, salaries, taxes, etc) before you have an "income". On top of that he didn't make all the 1 million on his own, otherwise no sense in having employees. Also, businesses have A LOT of deductions they can take and incentives from the government that "normal" citizens can't use. If isn't already using an accountant tell him to get one.

Personally I think the tax system needs an overhaul. It is needlessly complicated.

Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2010-11-14 16:30:46
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:

I have a very limited knowledge in economics. However, liberal economic theory is the most commonly used. If you're asking for how government disenvolvement promotes private sector growth then you're talking about an economist known as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Laffer

The Laffer curve is basically economic theory that shows there has to be a balance between high taxation and low taxation. Many people think that conservatives want to cut all taxes but in fact they are looking for the "ideal range"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_Curve

The Laffer Curve is essentially an optimization thought experiment: for given inputs and conditions, how can you get the maximum output (in this case, how can you achieve the most tax revenue).

There will not be going to be a static point (or even a static range) that can be considered optimal given a dynamic, unstable system.

At least one of Laffer's articles is attempting to directly correlate "high" tax rates/hikes as being sole sources for aggravating existing economic woes ( Great Depression, for one)

This definitely doesn't even go into how socioeconomic benefits affect the willingness for people to pay taxes. For example, I personally am willing to pay 100% of taxes if it means keeping alien invaders from annihilating the human race.
(*edit: clarification: I will pay 100% of my income in tax. I don't make enough to cover everyone ><)

Economic liberalism is a stance involving regulation of markets, not taxation.

Taxation != regulation.

Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2010-11-14 16:47:14
Link | Citer | R

Ok, I found some information on how small businesses would be effected by the re-enactment of these taxes. It's not specifically spelled out in this bill that business owners have to pay more taxes. The problem is with how the IRS defines businesses.

This article gives the broad points:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_40/b4197030541676.htm

Here is what the senator has on his website:

http://mcconnell.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=9ca6fdc1-04a1-4cc2-a69f-82718eb0b6d4&ContentType_id=c19bc7a5-2bb9-4a73-b2ab-3c1b5191a72b&Group_id=0fd6ddca-6a05-4b26-8710-a0b7b59a8f1f

As of right now I can't find the senate memo or paper that was written on July 12th 2010 but I will look tomorrow. running a fever and going to bed.

Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-14 17:12:34
Link | Citer | R

Well right now you're not debating facts, you're debating your ideology. I can't argue your ideology because quite frankly it doesn't matter to me.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-11-14 18:28:16
Link | Citer | R

Renew the cuts for people under 250k.
Let them expire for people over 250k.
It's not going to create jobs, or lose jobs, minimal effect on jobs at most.

/thread
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20