AGI Or EVA?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » AGI or EVA?
AGI or EVA?
First Page 2
 Caitsith.Silvaria
Serveur: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-07-05 04:07:44
Link | Citer | R

I'm not good at figuring out math, so I implore those of with mathematically oriented brains to please explain to me why AGI or EVA is better, if campaigning as COR77/RNG38 and obviously not intending to pull,just buff, use cards, and Slug Shot.

Not interested in knowing THE best set up, just curious about which is better in this particular instance...AGI, or EVA? Or are they both screwed and something else entirely would be better?

Thanks to everyone who replies, albeit helpfully or sarcastically. 8D
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-07-05 04:09:49
Link | Citer | R

2 agi = 1 eva. agi will also help w/ parry (though idk to what degree). If you can get double the agi or more of eva in a slot, use agi, if not then use eva
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-05 04:10:58
Link | Citer | R

Of course Evasion skill is better than both, to some extent.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-07-05 04:12:08
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Enternius said:
Not this ***again. No noticeable diff between eva and eva skill
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-05 04:15:56
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Siren.Enternius said:
No noticeable difference between 4% and 5% haste either.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-07-05 04:23:20
Link | Citer | R

Except for you can actually math the difference out and tell the exact difference.

Can you tell me the exact difference between 10 eva skill and 10 eva? It's not the same. By no noticeable difference, I mean you can't actually tell the difference in effectiveness.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-07-05 04:41:32
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Enternius said:
There is no noticable difference between 4% and 4% haste either

Fixed.
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-07-05 04:47:35
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Siren.Enternius said:

Don't want to sound like a total douche...this is a serious question...

if there is no noticeable difference between evade+ and evade skill+ why are melody earrings a latent effect and elusive earrings standard? (meaning its a lot harder to activate said skill+ than having just plain evade+)
 Leviathan.Rihoko
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2010-07-05 04:48:44
Link | Citer | R

AGI is important when you use ranged attacks often, eg. RNG COR. AGI is the most important archery, marksmanship weapon skill modifier and AGI increases ranged accuracy. Also for some jobs such as THF and NIN depending on your game style or situational purposes you may go for ranged attack build where AGI again carries important role.

For straight combat evasion+ equipment is more important, you evade more which helps with shadow recasts, spells, survival, etc..

If you have to go for straight combat and ranged attacks at the same time, you need to increase both AGI and evasion, which would be really costly but rewarding.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-07-05 04:51:50
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Siren.Enternius said:

Don't want to sound like a total douche...this is a serious question...

if there is no noticeable difference between evade and evade skill why are melody earrings a latent effect and elusive earrings standard? (meaning its a lot harder to activate said skill than having just plain evade )
Because it's placebo effect. There is no current known formula for eva skill, or you could tell exactly what it gives you
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-07-05 04:55:45
Link | Citer | R

gotcha Tiger..as always very helpful...thx cap'n

I was always under the impression that mob accuracy checked on your evade skill rather heavily (hence why I merited evade 4/4..seems to help..but i was thinking about getting rid of these for 4/8 h2h lol go go pup!)
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-07-05 04:56:03
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Don't want to sound like a total douche...this is a serious question... if there is no noticeable difference between evade and evade skill why are melody earrings a latent effect and elusive earrings standard? (meaning its a lot harder to activate said skill than having just plain evade )

Why does everyone think that items that are more expensive, and/or harder to obtain, are better???

[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-07-05 04:57:11
Link | Citer | R

lol actually on my server, elusive earrings are much more expensive than melody earrings....and no i dont think that way...good try though lol
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-07-05 04:58:51
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
lol actually on my server, elusive earrings are much more expensive than melody earrings....and no i dont think that way...good try though lol

You didn't say it, but you implied it.
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-07-05 05:02:51
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
if there is no noticeable difference between evade+ and evade skill+ why are melody earrings a latent effect and elusive earrings standard? (meaning its a lot harder to activate said skill+ than having just plain evade+)

You implied that evasion skill must be better because the latent effect on a melody earring is "a lot harder to activate" than just plain evasion from an elusive earring.

But you're not 100% sure, which is why you wrote it in the form of a question.
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-07-05 05:05:20
Link | Citer | R

ya, cuz i thought evasion skill was better...until Tiger (whom I trust on his FFXI maths as he's helped me on a lot of topics) said that there wasn't too great a difference.. (which btw is the much cheaper item....so i think your theory is debunked)
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-07-05 05:12:29
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
ya, cuz i thought evasion skill was better...until Tiger (whom I trust on his FFXI maths as he's helped me on a lot of topics) said that there wasn't too great a difference.. (which btw is the much cheaper item....so i think your theory is debunked)

My theory had nothing to do with how expensive the item was.

YOU implied that evasion skill MUST be better since the latent effect on a melody earring was so incredibly hard to activate.

What the hell does that have to do with the price?
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-07-05 05:13:56
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Magnumatic said:

Why does everyone think that items that are more expensive, and/or harder to obtain, are better???

thats what you said before..thats what it has to do with price...YOU used the term "more expensive"

which melody earring is not only easier to attain, its cheaper...i was just thinking that skill was better as a whole, and used this one particular item as an example..jesus lol
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-07-05 05:15:30
Link | Citer | R

Until I see some concrete evidence, they're about the same. Put on 10 eva, then 10 eva skill, parse 1000 hits each, the damn evade % will be almost identical.

Also, unless there someone does find the actual correct data on eva skill, look at it this way, do you think eva skill is special? is it going to add more to your evasion than eva, when the skill level of weapons add equal amount (1 skill per acc) until 200 skill and 200+, LESS acc than acc gear (since skill at 200+ gives .9 acc instead of 1 acc)
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-07-05 05:22:13
Link | Citer | R

I wasn't refering to the Melody earring when I threw in the part about price. The question was not directed at you personally. You chose to take it personally.. I was refering to every person that ever thought an item was better only because it was harder to obtain, harder to turn on a latent, more expensive, who gives a ***what else?

This:
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
if there is no noticeable difference between evade and evade skill why are melody earrings a latent effect and elusive earrings standard? (meaning its a lot harder to activate said skill than having just plain evade )

Made you fall into that category of people =)
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-07-05 05:25:44
Link | Citer | R

well because it sounds logical lol honestly... do extra work for 1 effect to be active, or do nothing and get the same full time effect for a buff thats worded a little differently... would make sense if the skill+ weighed a lil more due to the nature of having it active in that slot...least to me it sounds that way..

but if such is not the case, such is not the case.. lol

massive derailment of original question by OP..sorry folks ><...but ya OP your question was quite thoroughly answered..for Cor the more agi will outweigh evade+ by itself as a whole as it will help your dmg as well with the racc/stat mod for WS as well as give some evade by itself.
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-07-05 05:31:52
Link | Citer | R

Well, you're right. It does sound logical...

But..

It's like saying, "Ace's Helm MUST be better than Walahra Turban since it is so much harder to get!"

[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-07-05 05:53:58
Link | Citer | R

aww man that aint even close to the same lol...oh well w/e lol
 Alexander.Lacas
Serveur: Alexander
user: Rakasu
By Alexander.Lacas 2010-07-05 06:04:54
Link | Citer | R

I would say Eva over Agi as in most slots it's easier to get higher Eva than the equivilent Eva through AGI but that's if you are only after the Eva. Lowering Enemy Critical hit rate shouldn't be too much of an issue since you are wanting to avoid being hit all together.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-05 07:06:58
Link | Citer | R

What I heard a long time ago, and have been hearing ever since when the question comes up, and that I have personal experience, though no evidence to support, is that Evasion skill works to directly offset a weapon's skill, or in other words, it's a direct lower % chance to get hit, whereas Evasion counterbalances accuracy to create a lower chance to get hit also, but it's a static decrease.

In layman's terms, Evasion affects how often you evade, Evasion Skill affects how often you evade against higher-level mobs, with the focal point being at equal Evasion vs. mob Accuracy. If this were to hold true, if your evade rate is higher than 25%, then Evasion Skill will benefit you more. If it's lower, than Evasion+ will benefit you more. Granted, each +Evasion Skill also adds a presumed .9 Evasion also, so that will take a bit to factor in also.

Again, as a 75 NIN, THF, MNK, PLD, and SAM, I have at least dabbled in EVA testing for all of the above jobs. Had a pretty dedicated set for NIN, THF, and MNK. Was just to mess around with on PLD and SAM. Preliminary tests showed that +Evasion Skill was far more effective on Tough mobs than on Decent Challenge mobs.

Tl;dr, if you really need to evade an NM's attacks (Charybdis, any NM over LV80 really), then you use Evasion Skill. If you're farming, and for some reason want to reduce damage taken to the absolute minimum, use Evasion.
 Asura.Bonlack
Serveur: Asura
user: Bonlack
By Asura.Bonlack 2010-07-05 07:09:49
Link | Citer | R

Evasion doesn't land QD hits. Also evasion isnt a modifier for slug shot as well as any other ranged WS or even ranged attack. So AGI is you best bet for anything as a COR. Now if your pulling then an eva set is nice to bring mob back to camp but for all purposes COR's best friend is AGI.

Also if you're soloing then evasion build would be good but again AGI helps with evasion and parry.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-07-05 07:16:15
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
though no evidence to support

aka, you think that's how it works, not know how it works
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-05 07:18:34
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:
though no evidence to support

aka, you think that's how it works, not know how it works
I never said I know how it works. I said that's what seemed to work for me, and coming from someone that relied wholly on an Evasion set for NIN/DNC to solo Charybdis on occasions, I'd say my experience matters more than someone who's just saying "That's not how it works because no one has tests".
First Page 2