users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Problem with HDD data? - Updating
Problem with HDD data? - Updating
 Odin.Godofgods
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-19 20:25:21
Link | Citer | R

i dont have anything that streams online thats not windows based. I do have a galaxy s4 (i think it was, i forgot to bring it home) which is android based. But i only got it to take pictures with. Iv used it once for a Smartglass app for a damn fable achievement, but other then that i dont rly do anything online with it.

As for calling verizon about this issue... i think thats on my list of things to do; right past setting my on house on fire. I had tried calling them back when i was living in jersey about connection issues on there dsl. Holy ****... the level of incompetence... Years of dealing with it (different then this) and it never did get solved.

---

On the other hand, i do have some more information. I found the replacment router/modem they sent me a while back. So i switched everything over to that one and the problem was still the same.
I also went up to my brothers today to see if i could update my laptop through his connection. And sure enough, it worked perfectly. Never stalled out once. Took several hours but i got through all my updates. - I did learn however that uninstalling and reinstalling only the ffxi part and leaving all the expansions on does not work as i hoped it might. I was hoping that maybe it would still work like that after the update, but sadly it did not. Yet or some reason the game showed CoP ToAH as installed and working but none of the others. Found that a bit odd.

of course that means i have to reinstall those expansions which means more updates on this stalling connection -_- ><
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-26 12:00:43
Link | Citer | R

To continue the info in the last post; it was looking to me like more of a connection issue of some kind, but i got my galaxy s4 phone which runs android and hooked it through the same wifi as my laptop. The videos i watched on the phone worked perfectly. No stall outs or anything. So maybe its some kind of configuration on all of my comps and the connection?
 Asura.Pintseyes
Serveur: Asura
user: yurmy123
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-26 20:59:55
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Godofgods said: »
On the other hand, i do have some more information. I found the replacment router/modem they sent me a while back. So i switched everything over to that one and the problem was still the same.
I also went up to my brothers today to see if i could update my laptop through his connection. And sure enough, it worked perfectly. Never stalled out once. Took several hours but i got through all my updates. - I did learn however that uninstalling and reinstalling only the ffxi part and leaving all the expansions on does not work as i hoped it might. I was hoping that maybe it would still work like that after the update, but sadly it did not. Yet or some reason the game showed CoP ToAH as installed and working but none of the others. Found that a bit odd.

This just ruled everything out. It's your ISP and/or a router between you and SE. Lets sort of test that.

go here: http://www.monitis.com/traceroute/
Use this IP as the test IP

Scroll to the bottom of the page to see results. How many time-outs are there? How high is the highest MS you get?

As it stands I did the same test for you to compare. In the results you will notice Europe and Asia as options to view the results of. Only Europe has any issues for myself. Highest MS was 8.

Next redo the test but this time use microsoft.com as the IP. How were the results?
 Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-26 21:10:01
Link | Citer | R

Lastly go here: http://www.pingtest.net/
It will load a virtual map with pyramids on it. Click on a pyramid that on the west coast, once done do the samething but test a site near your locale.. East coast I presume.

How were the results?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-27 15:22:39
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Pintseyes said: »
This just ruled everything out. It's your ISP and/or a router between you and SE. Lets sort of test that.

Not just SE im assuming, since everything from videos to download to updates the connection stalls on.

Use this IP as the test IP

US

EU

Asia

Microsoft.com has drastically different results. (Not positive on reading these, but i think its drastic anyway)
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-27 15:27:26
Link | Citer | R

microsoft.com test

US

EU

Asia

Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-27 15:33:27
Link | Citer | R

Lastly go here: http://www.pingtest.net/
It will load a virtual map with pyramids on it. Click on a pyramid that on the west coast, once done do the samething but test a site near your locale.. East coast I presume.

How were the results?

I get this error message on both west coast and east coast pyramids. Even with AV/Firewall off.

Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-27 15:53:21
Link | Citer | R

Well, you're looking good testing a direct route to playonline (that was the 71. IP) As far as other routers in between you and them, also looking good. As far as some of the time-outs you had, that can be normal as some routers will reject icmp/ping etc, thus you get timed-out. Only router I seen that "may" cause packet-loss was testing to MS.com, 80 was a pretty high response, but that has nothing to do with your current issue or SE. This is definitely either Fios or hardware within your home/neighborhood. Considering how newer Fios is, just for the fun of it I'd call Fios and ask them to test your line, explain what's happening that brings you to calling them. Otherwise they may try to play you as "stupid user". Explain you have tested every piece of hardware in your home and even moved it to another locale. Don't let them play your laptop,microsoft windows or clouds in the sky. They may try to pawn it off on the next guy. There is no next guy. It's them!

This is starting to sound like a individualized problem at your telephone pole that only services you (Your line). Had there been a issue outside your line you "may" have seen it in the traceroute as "timing out" thing is the pyramid (Router) would be pretty close to your home location, thus you would see a stall in everything you do. Those tests didn't reveal any routers within your locale that seem to be slow or time out. Now that tells us that between your home and the very first router in the trace, your problem lies, else you would see the first router in your trace (no matter who/where you trace) it would have a horrible MS or simply time out no matter what IP you trace.

Give Fios a call, stand your ground don't let them blame something else, be insistent that you have checked all other items and this is your last resort.
 Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-27 15:58:29
Link | Citer | R

Packet-loss window is a little concerning as I did not get that error and I am 100% not firewalled.

If that test is correct it would be implying one of two things.

1. you have turned off all firewalls in windows but your routers firewall is still on blocking connections still.

2. NAT (Network Address Translation) is not setup or working properly within the router. This is also referred to as Port Forwarding. <--- Forwarding works similar to firewall, if you do not tell the router to allow a certain service, it will be denied at the router.
 Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-27 16:04:12
Link | Citer | R

By the way. For someone who claims to be inexperienced with a pc, you're kicking *** following direction. I've had much tougher times with people who claimed to be educated =))
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-27 16:22:06
Link | Citer | R

By the way. For someone who claims to be inexperienced with a pc, you're kicking *** following direction. I've had much tougher times with people who claimed to be educated =))

i have a very very basic knowledge base for comps (at least compared to a lot of the ppl iv gotten help form on this site.) But i am usually good with following directions and figuring things out; unless the directions are rly bad or missing a key step, or its something i rly have no clue on.

Looks like ill have to add verizon to the list of calls i have to make tomorrow. Can only pray *pun intended* that they are more competent then when i dealt with them back when i was in jersey.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-29 14:22:31
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Godofgods said: »
As for calling verizon about this issue... i think thats on my list of things to do; right past setting my on house on fire. I had tried calling them back when i was living in jersey about connection issues on there dsl. Holy ****... the level of incompetence... Years of dealing with it (different then this) and it never did get solved.

well it certainly seems nothing has changed. Got jerked around for an hour or so with there support. I explain all this stuff to them and then i still get the series of dumb *** questions and suggestions. 'try unhooking the coax cable and reconnecting it' 'try resetting the router' 'what color is the lights on the router'.
Then they claim to run a test on the line that showed nothing there for it must be my devices and they cant do anything else. So after yelling at them they then say they can send a tech out to my place but they have to charge me for it... ><

I hate dealing with these ppl. Every single time its like talking to a 2 year old. They should take all those ppl and send em back to Mcdonalds where they found them.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-30 17:57:54
Link | Citer | R

well after waiting 6 hours and a number of rescheduled times, the verizon tech came out. But hes just an older tech guy thats trained in setting up there hardware. Not much comp knowledge outside that. So he didnt have a clue what was going on. He said to call back tomorrow to try and get someone else out here.

So back on the topic of the problem a bit more, weve seen the issue of it stalling out on my desktops and laptop, but why isnt it happening on my galaxy s4 phone (running android)? It runs wirelessly through the same thing as my laptop. (or at the very least i havnt noticed it on the phone yet)
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-10-02 16:55:12
Link | Citer | R

next tech scheduled monday evening
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-10-16 14:37:04
Link | Citer | R

techs came out and tested/replaced a lot. They said they dont think its on my side. But they need to get authorization to use the laptop to test everything to be sure before verzion will considering doing anything or there end.

They said the guy would call me about it and gave me his number. He never called, never answered my calls, and never returned my messages. So i was on chat with verizon today to get this taken care of.

Id like to be optimistic that they did this right, but its hard when when this is the talk im receiving...

[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-16 14:42:30
Link | Citer | R

Kancharla? lol...
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-10-21 18:07:12
Link | Citer | R

this always seem to take a turn...

The tech came out to day with there laptop to confirm this stalling out issue wasnt on my end. Both my desktops and laptop are having this issue. The 2nd techs phone had the issue through my connection. And my laptop worked perfectly fine off of my brothers internet connection when i was up as his place. And with everything else we went through in here, i was expecting it to be a simple confirmation.

I should of known better..

Sure enough he was getting things to work fine on his company laptop. He reran the basic diagnostics and found the same results on my system. But his worked. So he called the second tech to confirm details about when he used his phone and had the issues. Because that seemed out of place to me. If it is indeed on my end, it wouldnt effect him. And since it was effecting the 2nd tech, why isnt it effecting the current techs.

After talking with him my tech ran the test through his phone a number of times and it worked fine. (Which was one question i never got answered. Because my phone appeared to work as well.)

After all was said and done his only conclusion at the moment was that perhaps it was indeed the age of my systems. (Iv mentioned before im still running xp. So no more updates on programs and what not.) That it was likely that verzion and changed something on there end at some point that no longer was completely compatible with my older soft/hardware. Which then brought back the question of the phones. The second techs phone was a galaxy3, an older model (so im told). Mine is a 4 and the current tech was a 5. So it does fit the age pattern.

So its possible i guess that it could be a compatibility issue between my older hardware vs what there current systems support. Trouble is its hard for me to test that without getting a new computer thats more updated and test whether or not it works through my connection. The only person i know that could probably assist in that is a good 2.5-3h drive away; so that rly wont work.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-21 18:12:17
Link | Citer | R

What models are your computers again?

Can PM the service tags if they're dells, I can look them up just the same.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-10-21 19:03:51
Link | Citer | R

the two desktops are dells. The laptop my friend gave me a few years ago is a Toshiba satellite.

The oldest (end of 2002) is a dimension 3000 (xp home edition)
The one im using now (2007-2008) is a inspirion 530s (xp home edition)
The laptop is a satellite A105 - s4384 (xp MCE)

Ill send you the tag#'s jet momentarily.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-10-21 19:35:33
Link | Citer | R

sent, though iv made an upgrade or two over the years. Tho nothing to drastic that i recall. New hdd, ram sticks, maybe a graphics card on the older one.