Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Problem with HDD data? - Updating
Problem with HDD data? - Updating
First Page 2 3 4
 Odin.Godofgods
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-02 14:02:25
Link | Citer | R

I swear, nothing is going right anymore.

Just formatted HDD, and reinstalled OS. Ran updates and put applications back on. Now working on FFXI since it takes a long time since my copy is from 2007.

Installed directx, pol, ffxi, three expansions, wotg, Soa. Trying to run updates. But every time i keep getting a message like this

Different file each time. Irritating the heck outa me.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Serveur: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-02 14:39:59
Link | Citer | R

Happened to me once. It was the harddrive cable. But then at the time I had a PATA harddrive.

Is it a SSD ?

PlayOnline Viewer does MD5 or SHA1 of it's files (not sure what it does but it's a very good way to check for corruption). The fact each time is a random file could mean you're having the files corrupt as they're being written to the disk.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-11-02 14:42:33
Link | Citer | R

You can try reinstalling it one more time. If it happens again, yes it can be very well the HDD you're installing it on.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-02 15:03:30
Link | Citer | R

with everything going wrong with this thing lately, i would be quite pissed if i had issues with the hdd now.

Its the same hdd the game was already on. And i have had no issues with downloading/installing anything else after the reformat.
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-02 15:04:19
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Godofgods said: »
with everything going wrong with this thing lately, i would be quite pissed if i had issues with the hdd now.

Its the same hdd the game was already on. And i have had no issues with downloading/installing anything else after the reformat.

If you formatted and the problem has gone away it was a virus.

Edit: Didn't you get hacked in FFXI recently ? Viruses are a gateway for that I can tell you.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-02 15:18:08
Link | Citer | R

no i havnt.

i had ffxi on this hdd since i got the unit. Yesterday i reformatted the HDD and reinstalled the OS. Today i installed ffxi from my disk. POL viewer had to be updated through there system before i could get on as well. All of that didnt have any problems like this. Only this update.

Im uninstalling ffxi now and will try reinstalling. See if that helps any :/
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-11-02 15:21:53
Link | Citer | R

no i havnt.

i had ffxi on this hdd since i got the unit. Yesterday i reformatted the HDD and reinstalled the OS. Today i installed ffxi from my disk. POL viewer had to be updated through there system before i could get on as well. All of that didnt have any problems like this. Only this update.

Im uninstalling ffxi now and will try reinstalling. See if that helps any :/
It's possible you have some bad sectors have you done a disc check?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-02 15:39:36
Link | Citer | R

ran chkdsk - this was the result

Said it found problems but nothing in bad sectors. I ran chkdsk/f which it needed to restart to run. But even after that the results of another chkdsk are the same.
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-02 15:40:16
Link | Citer | R

I asked if it was a SSD because flash memory on SSDs fails "all at once" due to how it works. It use a math algorithm called "wear leveling" to make sure all the flash regions get the same average degree of use. So when sectors start to fail, the SSD is truly at the end of it's useful life.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-02 15:42:39
Link | Citer | R

sry forgot to respond to that. No SSD. its a WD Black HDD iir. Should be less then 1 year old
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-02 15:45:11
Link | Citer | R

Now im getting annoyed. Now my browser is freezing up again. Just like before i reformatted. More specifically, 95% of the time it was freezing was when i clicked submit on this site after editing a message.

edit: i swear, nothing is working anymore. Everything is failing all at once over here...
edit2: maybe its something with palemoon. Just tried several times with firefox and it hasn't happened yet. - of course i originally left firefox because of issues it was giving me a long while back.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-02 15:58:10
Link | Citer | R

ran chkdsk - this was the result

Said it found problems but nothing in bad sectors. I ran chkdsk/f which it needed to restart to run. But even after that the results of another chkdsk are the same.

guess that's a little better. doesn't say it found anything now.

Ragnarok.Sekundes
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-11-02 16:11:10
Link | Citer | R

It's possible there is some sort of corruption in the OS itself. If everything keeps giving you problems, it wouldn't be a bad idea to install again but often times issues that reoccur after a fresh install tend to be hardware related but that doesn't eliminate the possibility of it being a software problem either.
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-02 16:19:52
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
It's possible there is some sort of corruption in the OS itself. If everything keeps giving you problems, it wouldn't be a bad idea to install again but often times issues that reoccur after a fresh install tend to be hardware related but that doesn't eliminate the possibility of it being a software problem either.

BAD RAM or CMOS is SETUP wrong (bad timing setup making data on RAM be bogus).

Keep in mind that data being copied from the install disc to HDD has to sit on the computer RAM even if it's for a brief while.

On old XP installer had two phases and because the first phase ran on REAL mode (Plain PC-XT like and text mode), it would get you corrupted files on the HDD if RAM was bad.

Now I think Vista and newer install on a new graphical installer which probably runs all the time on "32bit mode".
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-02 18:13:16
Link | Citer | R

i guess it technically qualifies as an improvement...

I uninstalled it all and reinstalled it. Been running updates. It seems to get a little bit into the updates then just stops. Its not frozen or anything but the data transfer is not doing anything. So i have to cancel and start again.

so 25,000 files... hundred or two at a go before its stopping... i should be able to get on around some time next year'
eh, i have a lot to finish up in rl anyway'
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-10 21:30:12
Link | Citer | R

i swear man....

nov-10-14 update. When i run the update on pol viewer, the same damn issue is back. This time, not only on this desktop but on my laptop as well.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-13 12:07:06
Link | Citer | R

now it just happened on my third computer. same f***ing problem.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-11-13 12:11:00
Link | Citer | R

Just curious what OS you trying to reinstall FFXI on? XP?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-13 16:09:35
Link | Citer | R

xp yea. Ive been running 11 on xp since around 07
By Jetackuu 2014-11-13 16:11:13
Link | Citer | R

What version of the POL did you use to install?
 Lakshmi.Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-11-13 16:16:50
Link | Citer | R

Yeah if you ran POL off the CD, you'll need the updated version. Also, I'm sure FFXI runs ok on XP workstations in general. Just an FYI, that OS is no longer supported by MS.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-13 16:17:14
Link | Citer | R

Actually no, he'll need the old version if he's still on XP.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-11-13 16:18:55
Link | Citer | R

No. I was running on XP before as well and ran also the updated POL. The POL on the CD doesn't work.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-13 16:19:56
Link | Citer | R

The "updated" one is for vista+, the old one should function fine on XP, that's rather odd.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-12-10 17:28:10
Link | Citer | R

it installs what ever one is on the 2007 disk. But when u start it up it does say that its out of date and POL needs to be updated.

But i have a different concern now. (shocking right?)

I uninstalled it all and reinstalled it. Been running updates. It seems to get a little bit into the updates then just stops. Its not frozen or anything but the data transfer is not doing anything. So i have to cancel and start again.

I mentioned that when i was having the update issues, but ive noticed that all my videos or anything do the same damn thing. Be it hosted on a random site, or a youtube view or w/e. It gets a certain amount of the way loaded, then just stops completely. And i have to refresh the page to get it to start up again. Its done this on some of my downloads as well. And it occurs both on my desktop and my laptop. - it does not however disconnect me from XI if im logged in. (Which used to happen when i was in NJ 1+ years ago.)

Could this be anything else other then a connection problem? (fios)
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-12-12 21:14:34
Link | Citer | R

I mentioned that when i was having the update issues, but ive noticed that all my videos or anything do the same damn thing. Be it hosted on a random site, or a youtube view or w/e. It gets a certain amount of the way loaded, then just stops completely. And i have to refresh the page to get it to start up again. Its done this on some of my downloads as well. And it occurs both on my desktop and my laptop. - it does not however disconnect me from XI if im logged in. (Which used to happen when i was in NJ 1+ years ago.)

Could this be anything else other then a connection problem? (fios)
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-12-12 21:17:51
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
The "updated" one is for vista+, the old one should function fine on XP, that's rather odd.

The updated POL for Vista WORKS FINE on XP. I've been using that for years on XP and never had any issue with it. It does not support Windows 98 anymore and that's all about it.

I'd say Godofgods is having some kind of virii run rampant on his pc, perhaps ...
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-12-12 21:29:51
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Mariane said: »
I'd say Godofgods is having some kind of virii run rampant on his pc, perhaps ...

i dont know that that is, but as i mentioned in the last post, the problems there (both PoL and videos etc) are happening on both my desktop and my laptop
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-12-12 21:42:11
Link | Citer | R

Virii = plural for virus XD
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-12-12 22:18:03
Link | Citer | R

i dont think so. Separate comps, scans are clean, and it even kept happening when i last had to wipe Hdd and reinstall OS.
First Page 2 3 4