Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Problem with HDD data? - Updating
Problem with HDD data? - Updating
 Odin.Godofgods
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-17 11:46:58
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Pintseyes said: »
Sorry, big walls of text up there, I didn't read through everything. You got it fixed or? Whats up now?

not fixed no. Both desktop and laptop already had xi uninstalled and reinstalled from the 2007 disks. So running tons of updates now. No HDD issues yet. But the DL keeps stalling. After a little while (can vary greatly) the dl just stops and doesnt start up again. - This is the one issue however that extends past pol/xi. Alot of my dl's or videos do that. Its incredibly annoying and highly inconvenient.
 Asura.Pintseyes
Serveur: Asura
user: yurmy123
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-17 11:51:12
Link | Citer | R

Wireless or wired connection? Wifi is known to do this here is why.
A wifi router will check the "area" it's in for other wifi routers and their channel. If they find another router on their channel they change channels. If you are in fact using Wifi, I would suspect this first and foremost. If you are wired I would suspect your ISP/Modem and or router hardware itself.

If this was a HDD issue you would only notice it on one Device, not all.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-17 11:58:42
Link | Citer | R

If this was a HDD issue you would only notice it on one Device, not all.
Thats what i think as well. It was to be something thats present on all my computers for it to happen to them all at the same time.
Edit: And it only happens when i have to update XI.

Wireless or wired connection?
Both. My desktop is wired. Laptop is wireless. Both have the same issue. I tried putting my laptop on a wired connection (it is right now) and the same issue still persists.
Edit: Where as this issue happens with everything, XI and others. And they dont even happen at the same time. I have both comps running updates, one can stall while the other one keeps going. But both will eventually stall in time.
 Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-17 12:09:24
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Both. My desktop is wired. Laptop is wireless. Both have the same issue. I tried putting my laptop on a wired connection (it is right now) and the same issue still persists.

This removes the HDD from being the issue. It would be a huge coincidence for them BOTH to go out like this at the same time.

Is this a new issue? I understand you're using the 2007 disk, as am I <-- I can personally say it's not the disks. Did this start with the Sept update?

Considering you mentioned wired/wireless, have you changed your router config to accommodate POL? This really sounds like you're firewalling and/or packet filtering. Considering again it's happening on multiple devices you have narrowed it down to being a router/modem/ISP issue.

A quick way to make sure it's not Port forwarding or anyother router feature. Look in you config around the port forwarding are for DMZ Host. Set either the lappy or PC up as DMZ, put their local 192.168. IP in their. Try your download. This will remove whichever PC you put in there from behind the firewall and port forwarding needs.

Again, if you're using windows firewall a anti-virus or windows defender, turn them all OFF during your downloads.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-17 12:22:35
Link | Citer | R

Not a new issue no. First post in this thread was form the end of 2014.
I have AV and firewall off but it still happens.
As for configuring the router for pol i cant say i rly know how to do that.
 Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-17 12:57:48
Link | Citer | R

Here is POL info you will need.

http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=11865&id=447&la=1&ret=faq&pv=20&page=4&c=0&sc=0&so=0

Here is guides on Forwarding.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/

It's pretty straight up. It'll ask the IP, PORT or Port range to forward and which Transmission I.E. UDP or TCP which is explained in the SE guide which to use for which ports.

Side question. Within FFXI do you ever get black screens when logging in or changing zones or a non responsive AH query, can't enter moghouse etc?

Edit: You would be best to test my theory. I suggest taking your laptop to a friends house and using their router/modem/ISP to test if this issue persists. If it does not, you know it's within them devices in your home. If it does persist you know it's more than likely software related, windows,ffxi something to that effect.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-17 13:00:41
Link | Citer | R

Side question. Within FFXI do you ever get black screens when logging in or changing zones or a non responsive AH query, can't enter moghouse etc?
only when there servers are going/gone down. Otherwise i never have issues with that.
 Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-17 13:05:07
Link | Citer | R

Edit: You would be best to test my theory. I suggest taking your laptop to a friends house and using their router/modem/ISP to test if this issue persists. If it does not, you know it's within them devices in your home. If it does persist you know it's more than likely software related, windows,ffxi something to that effect.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-17 13:13:10
Link | Citer | R

I suggest taking your laptop to a friends house and using their router/modem/ISP to test if this issue persists.

-_-

the closest person i know since moving here is an hour drive away (one way)
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-17 13:55:24
Link | Citer | R

The conenction stalling out isnt indicative to pol tho. Its the one issue that happens with everything. Pol update, dl, video on youtube, all of it. They all stall out and stop loading. And i either have to refresh the page (youtube), pause and unpause (dl), or start over (pol). Not that im having any luck doing it, but would port forwarding affect it all like that or only specific things?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-17 14:05:32
Link | Citer | R

i was in nj. i had to move over to pa after my father died tho.

i dont know if it would do any good but i do have another router device. (if i could find it) Verizon is full of ****ups. And they sent me a 2nd one for no apparent reason. I never took it out of the box tho.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2015-09-17 14:08:07
Link | Citer | R

There's several network tools to determine if/how you're losing packets and where, have at it and see, report and then contact the ISP and be like look here ***.

But honestly I wouldn't be too surprised if your hardware is also buggy, considering it's age.

I have an extra PC that I'm not using, I can see how XI runs on it and if you send me a box w/ return shipping and it's yours.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-17 14:21:15
Link | Citer | R

wow, hell of an offer. And much appreciated.

i wouldnt be surprised if my hardware was buggy either. But since both issues started on all 3 comps at the same time, i dont think its solely a hardware issue.

Im not sure if its due to me reinstalling XI or turning the anti virus off, but so far i have not had any of those HDD error messages yet today. So theirs at least a small chance that might be it. Since im still trying to run updates, i can toggle on/off and see if i can find anything. (I still have the third comp which hasnt been turned on in months that i can use as a tester as well)

Jetackuu said: »
There's several network tools to determine if/how you're losing packets and where, have at it and see, report and then contact the ISP and be like look here ***.

Iv already had a few of those phone calls with verizon. Even before this issue came up. Iv had nothing but shitty service with them and even worse support. And that was before coming to fios.

The conenction stalling out isnt indicative to pol tho. Its the one issue that happens with everything. Pol update, dl, video on youtube, all of it. They all stall out and stop loading. And i either have to refresh the page (youtube), pause and unpause (dl), or start over (pol).
Right now i just want to figure this part out. (sad that my main issue has now taking a back seat, heh)
 Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-17 14:21:30
Link | Citer | R

The conenction stalling out isnt indicative to pol tho. Its the one issue that happens with everything. Pol update, dl, video on youtube, all of it. They all stall out and stop loading. And i either have to refresh the page (youtube), pause and unpause (dl), or start over (pol). Not that im having any luck doing it, but would port forwarding affect it all like that or only specific things?

It could yes. Think of your router as a hardware firewall. If you don't tell the router what can or can not pass-through (port forward) it will be stopped at the router, the pc/laptop will never get the data.

What Jetackuu is saying above is a good idea. I would suggest using CMD Tracert command buuuut, No offense I'm not too sure you'll understand the whole process. Though there are many websites that can test for packet-loss that may help. Tracing your route directly to SE would be your best bet.

Here's something local at your home you may do to try to remove a item from the problem list. Un-hook your router completely. Run the wire from your cable modem straight into a PC/Laptop. Does the problem persist? If not, your router config or hardware itself is the issue. You're down to it being Modem/ISP/Software related.
By Jetackuu 2015-09-17 14:22:49
Link | Citer | R

He has fios, I'm assuming it's a combo router/modem. The bane of my existence.
 Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-17 14:30:10
Link | Citer | R

This sounds like a TTL issue. Being anything that "streams" seems to die out mid-stream.

Few more options.

Completely un-hook the cable modem. Co-ax cable, power, rj-45. On the back where these cables are "should" be a little hole or button. This is the reset button. Use whatever to press the button and hold it in for 10 seconds. Re-wire the modem, let it boot up, reboot the PC/Laptop.

If you do in fact have a separate router, also un-plug it from the power, also pressing the button on it's back for ten seconds to reset it. IF you have a router, plug-in and power on the modem first followed by the same with the router, in that order.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-17 14:36:40
Link | Citer | R

combo indeed. The coax cable hooks into it. and the ethernet cable run out of it to the pcs.

Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-17 14:40:27
Link | Citer | R

Gohead and unhook it all. Can't miss the reset button on that lol. When re-wiring it, start with co-ax, power,rj-45's. Remember to hold reset for at least 10 seconds.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-17 14:53:35
Link | Citer | R

ill get rdy to try that. Was waiting for my current update to finish (fail). Since reinstalling XI and disabling my virus software i hadnt received the HDD error. So i reenabled it after the last stall out and sure enough, both desktop and lap top got and HDD error pretty quick. So its looking like it could very well by the AV software doing that.

Now ill see about reseting this router. I remember it going horribly wrong last time i did that. To long ago to remember what or why, only that it took a good while to fix. So heres hoping for better results this time.
By Jetackuu 2015-09-17 14:55:31
Link | Citer | R

What AV are you using?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-17 15:05:39
Link | Citer | R

well that went without incident. yay for small miracles. Updates running, well see if it still stalls out.

What AV are you using?
eacceleration/stopsign
By Jetackuu 2015-09-17 15:11:21
Link | Citer | R

stopsign
o.O?

Did you fish that up on your own, or was that from your ISP?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-17 15:15:27
Link | Citer | R

i forget exactly how i can across it. It was many many years ago. Probably around 10~. It wasnt from the isp tho. Theyve worked pretty well for me. Iv had to have them make some custom cures for my machines several times.
By Jetackuu 2015-09-17 15:16:18
Link | Citer | R

Hmm.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-17 15:32:32
Link | Citer | R

was going good for a little bit. Seemed to be going faster even. But it stalled out :(

Edit: tho after restarting so many times, my desktop is down to its last 5k files or so. Laptop still at 23k tho.
 Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-17 16:07:14
Link | Citer | R

Did you fish that up on your own, or was that from your ISP?

^ Priceless. Just lol. I too would think twice about this AV. Doesn't sound familiar at all. Not that that's a bad thing, there's a great handful I've never heard of. But there are in fact viruses out there called "Fake Anti-virus". May wanna think on how you came across this AV. Considering you seem to reinstall it with your formatted windows, you would constantly have that problem IF it is in fact that AV.

When you say disabled your AV. What are you disabling? Monitoring, active scanning, network scanning? I ask because there's a few components that may cause it. Monitoring and network scanning. Thing is if you were having a AV issue it would be from the starting of a DL, not mid stream or just throttling out. Your AV should prevent anything from even beginning.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-09-17 16:42:44
Link | Citer | R

The AV is a legeitiment service. When i disabled it, i shut down everything. But that only effected the HDD error issue. The stalling issue was the same with or without it being active.
 Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-18 11:25:17
Link | Citer | R

Ok, Someone suggested to call Verizon. With your limited PC knowledge (NO offense!) this maybe a good idea. Explain your problem and have them test your line. This could also be a problem to that effect. Assume at your intersection of streets nearest your house that your signal is 99DB, a problem in the line from your street to your house could cause it to weaken, drop, just simply be slow or sometimes non responsive. If it is something in your neighborhood like such but is only effecting your home, verizon would never know unless a customer called.

If that is not the issue I would ask for a replacement Modem. Being this happens on all your devices, this seems most likely to be network related. Do you have a phone, TV Xbox that can also go online? Do they also stall out while streaming? If you do have another device like such and they also stall, it's 100% network related. The idea here is to use a device that doesn't use Windows like the lappy/PC. You will be able to again rule out it being a PC based problem and/or HDD.