Why Is It So Difficult To Criticize Islam Without Angrying It Deeply?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Why is it so difficult to criticize Islam without angrying it deeply?
Why is it so difficult to criticize Islam without angrying it deeply?
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 21 22 23
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 18:09:54
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Jack Ruby did it for a Lee's Klondike Bar, too. I'm sure of it.

Sorry, lol. Was a joke I came up with in History, in HS. BTW, is it bad that I know what kind of rifle Kennedy was shot with? My dream job was Gunsmithing. >.>

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 18:14:10
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Jack Ruby did it for a Lee's Klondike Bar, too. I'm sure of it.
Sorry, lol. Was a joke I came up with in History, in HS. BTW, is it bad that I know what kind of rifle Kennedy was shot with? My dream job was Gunsmithing. >.>
I think it's worse that I'm now imagining all sorts of Klondike bar commercials with the most inappropriate news events ever.. good times.

Mannlicher-Carcano, think it was a 6mm bullet (6mm Carcano, IIRC) known to be one of the worst, most inaccurate sniper rifles of the time. I think it was Italian.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-05-03 18:15:25
Link | Citer | R

Every religion gets upset when you criticize it. Because for most people, their sense of life purpose and identity are so wrapped in their beliefs, any criticism of it is pretty much a direct attack on the person themselves.

The difference is, the political situation in the world right now is such that a lot of nations with strong Islamic populations are theocracies. There is no separation of church and state. As such, there is no filter or downward pressure to suppress the crazier, more nationalist or violent parts of the religion. In fact, in many countries, playing up these negative feelings is a shortcut to power and winning elections.

There are parts of the Bible calling for genocide and slaughter of non-Jews and non-Christians. There are a great deal of horrible atrocities that are now downplayed. Why? Because the nature of most modern Western (Christian) societies is for secular pressure to push these parts off the table of valid positions, and instead, Christianity now tends to focus on only the good parts.

It has not always been this way. Medieval Christian countries, without the separation of church and state, were just as violently touchy as modern Islamic theocracies. (And used the nastier parts of the Bible to back themselves up.) But by the same token, there are primarily Islamic, secular democracies today as well, where criticism of Islam is tolerated exactly the same way criticism of Christianity is tolerated here.

It's not the religion. It's the political climate and the culture around it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 18:16:06
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Lol nice. but SHHHH! We're interrupting their God talk and stufffff.

It needs to be interrupted, getting too outta control.
 Fairy.Maimed
Serveur: Fairy
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-05-03 18:16:10
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Korpg said:
Fairy.Maimed said:
Asura.Korpg said:
I think what bothers people about Muslims the most is, there is no camp training people to spread the word in any religion, there is no camp training people to enjoy life, but there are camps in Afghanistan and possibly other places we don't know of that are training radicals.

Islam has the largest radical/rational population in all religions. You can't deny that.

What do you call Southern States? Catholic Schools? etc.. Come on, do you honestly believe half the people in our red states are all about cultural tolerance or closet racists desperately trying to cling to maintaining their circles of like-minded individuals?
Now you are just generalizing.

Every southerner is a radical? When did that happen?

I didn't say there were no such things as radicals outside of Islam, I said that there are more radical/rational people in Islamic communities than there are in any other religion.

You are assuming too much, go back to doing whatever you were doing before you came here on this thread.

Care to substantiate with actual proof? You've got idiots like John McCain happily endorsing the Arizona immigration law and you want to point fingers at the very small yet vocal population of the radical muslim population and claim we're all one and the same.

You forget about Neo Nazis, Ku Klux Klan, malaysian commerical pirates, and other such organizations. Do you think they are truly that few in number compared to the radical muslims that attract our current news media?

Tally it up, you'll see the world consists of morons of all shapes & sizes. Yes, you'll see a proportionately larger number from more popular relgions, cultures, races, and such.

You insist your argument is a simple statement yet anyone with half a brain that can put together the rhyme and reason of your comments can figure out you're basically implying Islam is an evil religion that promotes violence.

I love how you have zero knowledge on the subject yet fight tooth and nail trying to prove a point that you belong in this forum.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 18:20:12
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Every religion gets upset when you criticize it. Because for most people, their sense of life purpose and identity are so wrapped in their beliefs, any criticism of it is pretty much a direct attack on the person themselves. The difference is, the political situation in the world right now is such that a lot of nations with strong Islamic populations are theocracies. There is no separation of church and state. As such, there is no filter or downward pressure to suppress the crazier, more nationalist or violent parts of the religion. In fact, in many countries, playing up these negative feelings is a shortcut to power and winning elections. There are parts of the Bible calling for genocide and slaughter of non-Jews and non-Christians. There are a great deal of horrible atrocities that are now downplayed. Why? Because the nature of most modern Western (Christian) societies is for secular pressure to push these parts off the table of valid positions, and instead, Christianity now tends to focus on only the good parts. It has not always been this way. Medieval Christian countries, without the separation of church and state, were just as violently touchy as modern Islamic theocracies. (And used the nastier parts of the Bible to back themselves up.) But by the same token, there are primarily Islamic, secular democracies today as well, where criticism of Islam is tolerated exactly the same way criticism of Christianity is tolerated here. It's not the religion. It's the political climate and the culture around it.

Might I throw in the Salem Witch Trials as an example of these atrocities committed, based on beliefs. In those days, having a good luck charm was considered witchcraft and you could have been tried and killed for it.

EDIT: IIRC, that was due to Christian belief.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Darki
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-03 18:32:26
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
This thread is out of control. Stop making such heated topics. Talk about something less controversial like abortion.

Or Female Genital Mutilation.

I didn't have an abortion, so now I'm stuck 5 months and a half pregnant with anemia. :< damn kids.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 18:34:45
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Mabrook said:
I mean everyone here is already grown and have their own mind-set but think of the children in the generations to come if people in today's world teach hatred not only from the extremists in Islam but everywhere else. Keep in mind, every person that says even the slightest bad thing about a group of people in front of their children is another 50-100 years putting gas on the flames.

Which is why I can't stand seeing a baby/kid on one of those Klan documentaries. The kid doesn't have much of a chance being taught pointless hatred from birth.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 18:35:46
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Darki said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
This thread is out of control. Stop making such heated topics. Talk about something less controversial like abortion.
I didn't have an abortion, so now I'm stuck 5 months and a half pregnant with anemia. :< damn kids.

You're pregnant. You can't be half-pregnant. lrn 2 biology.

EDIT: OH, I read that wrong. But my statement is valid. You can't be half-pregnant.
Serveur: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Sorrowandpain 2010-05-03 18:44:16
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Every religion gets upset when you criticize it. Because for most people, their sense of life purpose and identity are so wrapped in their beliefs, any criticism of it is pretty much a direct attack on the person themselves.

The difference is, the political situation in the world right now is such that a lot of nations with strong Islamic populations are theocracies. There is no separation of church and state. As such, there is no filter or downward pressure to suppress the crazier, more nationalist or violent parts of the religion. In fact, in many countries, playing up these negative feelings is a shortcut to power and winning elections.

There are parts of the Bible calling for genocide and slaughter of non-Jews and non-Christians. There are a great deal of horrible atrocities that are now downplayed. Why? Because the nature of most modern Western (Christian) societies is for secular pressure to push these parts off the table of valid positions, and instead, Christianity now tends to focus on only the good parts.

It has not always been this way. Medieval Christian countries, without the separation of church and state, were just as violently touchy as modern Islamic theocracies. (And used the nastier parts of the Bible to back themselves up.) But by the same token, there are primarily Islamic, secular democracies today as well, where criticism of Islam is tolerated exactly the same way criticism of Christianity is tolerated here.

It's not the religion. It's the political climate and the culture around it.

I understand your point but in fact the western Secular values originate from ancient greece when they were rediscovered during the Renaissance period and this was Europe's ticket of the dark ages, Religion has nothing of good, what usually is good is religious people with good intentions and this is different, remember that one of Religion's main tools is to work on people's self-esteem and slowly destroy it , remember it was Jesus who 1st brought the idea of we are all born with sin and only trough him we can find salvation and only god can love us and blah blah blah, the works...... sounds like a husband using mental manipulations on his wife.
Besides having such poor self-esteem after how many years into this indoctrination leaves people extremely dependent, it is their drug per say, which is why when u criticize it it hurts them, also religion has no morals because it is a system where the believers must obey the supreme authority, after all they are taught that way since they where kids or at least when they were converted so whatever their god tells them to do the people will do it and this is how religious leaders use "Revelation" to cause the believers to cause such atrocities and genocide.......

To sum it all up, Religion should plainly disappear!! People should become more educated, practice critical thinking and obtain mental tools to strengthen their self-esteem to be able to deal with every day's life.

Yes I am an atheist, and it is the only logical way for it is the default position.
By RamenGirl 2010-05-03 18:52:42
Link | Citer | R

These guys have been killing people for thousands of years, I think its safe to say alot of people don't have a sense of humor lol. Talking to ignorant people is like banging your head against a mountain to make it move... you won't make it move only give yourself a really.. really, bad headache.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-03 18:54:05
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:

You're pregnant. You can't be half-pregnant. lrn 2 biology.

EDIT: OH, I read that wrong. But my statement is valid. You can't be half-pregnant.

tsktsk :<

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Garuda.Mabrook said:
I mean everyone here is already grown and have their own mind-set but think of the children in the generations to come if people in today's world teach hatred not only from the extremists in Islam but everywhere else. Keep in mind, every person that says even the slightest bad thing about a group of people in front of their children is another 50-100 years putting gas on the flames.

Which is why I can't stand seeing a baby/kid on one of those Klan documentaries. The kid doesn't have much of a chance being taught pointless hatred from birth.

I'm glad to realize these things at a very early age so I can teach my son these things aswell but with out hatred, the curse we set on our children is the hatred we hold... if sometimes we sacrificed ourselves a little and hold it in, they might be free from our hatred and live a healthier life.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 18:54:10
Link | Citer | R

RamenGirl said:
These guys have been killing people for thousands of years, I think its safe to say alot of people don't have a sense of humor lol. Talking to ignorant people is like banging your head against a mountain to make it move... you won't make it move only give yourself a really.. really, bad headache.

Depends on which head you're using.
 Seraph.Rafik
Serveur: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-05-03 18:54:31
Link | Citer | R

People should have faith. Faith and Religion is not the same thing.

Now think if all of these religions did not exist. How many less problem we could have avoided.

How many wars have been fought, because of religion? A lot.

Religion keeps us divided, so do borders and the different languages of the world.

They are just ways to control us all.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-03 18:56:49
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
RamenGirl said:

You have officialy made me think perversive thoughts.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 18:57:43
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Darki said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
RamenGirl said:
You have officialy made me think perversive thoughts.

Post deleted by User.
Serveur: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Sorrowandpain 2010-05-03 19:01:22
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Rafik said:

Now think if all of these religions did not exist. How many less problem we could have avoided.

Religion keeps us divided, so do borders and the different languages of the world.

I agree with you in almost everything except for the whole faith thing, faith is To believe without evidence or despite the evidence, therefore i think people could very well live without faith , make proper choices using logic tho i understand there are instances in life where we have to make a decision and there is no time to think it through but hopefully for the most cases people should be more rational, and like I said, besides that little point i agree with the rest that you said.
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-05-03 19:03:22
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Mabrook said:
God I love that man's face (no homo).

He did kiss the King of Saudi Arabia and was holding his hand.....

edit like French kiss <.<

Post deleted by User.
By RamenGirl 2010-05-03 19:05:24
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Rafik said:

Agree'd.
 Asura.Korpg
Serveur: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2010-05-03 19:06:25
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Maimed said:
Care to substantiate with actual proof? You've got idiots like John McCain happily endorsing the Arizona immigration law and you want to point fingers at the very small yet vocal population of the radical muslim population and claim we're all one and the same.

You forget about Neo Nazis, Ku Klux Klan, malaysian commerical pirates, and other such organizations. Do you think they are truly that few in number compared to the radical muslims that attract our current news media?

Tally it up, you'll see the world consists of morons of all shapes & sizes. Yes, you'll see a proportionately larger number from more popular relgions, cultures, races, and such.

You insist your argument is a simple statement yet anyone with half a brain that can put together the rhyme and reason of your comments can figure out you're basically implying Islam is an evil religion that promotes violence.

I love how you have zero knowledge on the subject yet fight tooth and nail trying to prove a point that you belong in this forum.
Wait, you take one law that only affects one state and assume that every southerner is part of a radical group?

No, I don't say every Muslim is a radical but there are a significant proportion out there, and it is growing.

Yes, there are morons everywhere, I'm quoting one now.

Only bad thing I'm really saying about Islam is its discrimination of women. But you don't see that, you just see my name and automatically troll whatever I said, even if you yourself don't understand what the topic really is.

But what Jaerik said is true to the point.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-03 19:21:05
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Rafik said:
Garuda.Mabrook said:

pics or didnt happen
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-05-03 19:25:21
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Darki said:
Seraph.Rafik said:
Garuda.Mabrook said:

pics or didnt happen

google it the video is out there

I saw it live when it happened on Cnn lol
By Keiya 2010-05-03 19:27:23
Link | Citer | R

Mabrook:

of course a lot of them won't say no for her to work but they won't help her either in raising children or her work in house (there aren't a lot of good men out there)

but .. easiest lives ? .. I don't think so , maybe the people you know are just good ones

Islam for sure respected women there are a lot of lines in holy Quran and Sonah that tells the husband to treat her very well but oh yeah how many people actually do this?

So it's easy to say Islam do respect women and ordered men to treat her very well but a lot of men (yes a lot not all) won't do this.

First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 21 22 23