Job Discussion: How Do YOU Play Your Cor.

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Job Discussion: How do YOU play your Cor.
Job Discussion: How do YOU play your Cor.
First Page 2
 Remora.Dubont
Serveur: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2008-12-07 19:12:24
Link | Citer | R

I personally have a sword/dagger setup with relic body legs and feet as well as ACC gear, Joyeuse and Str macros for Savage blade For farming, merit parties and some dynamis. I also have a ranged setup with just about Racc in every slot as well as AGi for almost every slot for Slug Shot. I have no Full support setup b/c i hate playing Cor like a brd so a ton of MP gear is a no no for me. I have every possible subjob for Cor including whm rng war drk nin sam drg etc. so I can easily switch to either depending on the party setup and situation. Just wondering how other Cor play out there b/c to me this is the best way for me to get the most from the job and use all of its abilities and skills to the top
 Unicorn.Nitsuj
VIP
Serveur: Unicorn
user: framerate
By Unicorn.Nitsuj 2008-12-07 19:36:10
Link | Citer | R

I try and play it like this:

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=28227
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2008-12-07 19:46:57
Link | Citer | R

aside from a few things, my cor gear is almost just like that. I dont use barb legs b/c i use relic. I dont use martial gun, i still use hexa but im in the process of getting Coffin and i dont use Chiv chain i use PCC. I dont use rajas or the amnesia, i use 2x woodsman and macro in the lv 72 str+4 rings on both fingers for ws. I use Vision earring and AGI+3 earring fulltime...coz im gimp.
 Asura.Shamaya
Serveur: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2008-12-07 21:46:35
Link | Citer | R

I realize cor actually does damage, but when my cor is 75 I'm going to most likely play it like a pulling (not a support /whm) bard in merit parties. The merit parties I run with have simply phenomenal, well buffed DD's and I wouldn't have it any other way. Compared to the damage that they do, I can help the party more by aggressive pulling and support as opposed to extra damage output.

This includes pulling with darts, full time powder boots for gathering fast pulls when necessary, swapping to gun and ammo for idle, and focusing on sleeping and dispelling as opposed to normally doing damage. Faster pulls and more mobs supplied means better exp/hour, so I choose to prioritize this first, to take parties above and beyond their traditional capabilities.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2008-12-07 21:51:02
Link | Citer | R

I point, shoot stuff.

I roll the die and hope for a 11

I laugh at BRDs cause I used to be one.

Thats all from my COR12 or so.
[+]
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2008-12-07 22:02:38
Link | Citer | R

Well pulling as cor is all fine and dandy but most of the merit parties i have been in want me as cor/whm for full support or cor/rng for added DoT. A brd or thf puller is preferred in merit ptys b/c..well face it, Cor *unless u use the lol peace maker* pulling is slow. High delay weapon and high delay ammo. Not saying its wrong but from my experience, the xp/hour is slower with cor puller than with brd or thf. Just throwing that out there.
 Asura.Shamaya
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2008-12-08 02:21:06
Link | Citer | R

eww@having a dd pull in merits. Well if a party is having a thf or another dd pull in merits, then that means that the damage the cor puts out actually matters. So I suppose I'm not talking about those parties, mainly at least.

But in a bardless party w/ a cor (if cors do do parties without bards) the cor might as well leave camp early to execute the age-old pre-pull while the other DD's do what they do best, instead of the other way around. Leave camp early enough and the delay on the weapon doesn't matter quite so much.
 Unicorn.Nitsuj
VIP
Serveur: Unicorn
user: framerate
By Unicorn.Nitsuj 2008-12-13 16:27:31
Link | Citer | R

Dubont said:
aside from a few things, my cor gear is almost just like that. I dont use barb legs b/c i use relic. I dont use martial gun, i still use hexa but im in the process of getting Coffin and i dont use Chiv chain i use PCC. I dont use rajas or the amnesia, i use 2x woodsman and macro in the lv 72 str+4 rings on both fingers for ws. I use Vision earring and AGI+3 earring fulltime...coz im gimp.

I have Coffinmaker, Quicksilver and Martial Gun. If you're a Joyeuse or M. Kris Corsair with a good haste/accuracy TP set and a separate set for your WS, I really recommend you look at Martial Gun.

Two common myths with the COR gear setup that I've tried to test out myself, and my conclusions:

1) /nin Joyeuse only vs Joyeuse/anything else. I have a Phantom Fleuret I like to keep in my off hand. A lot of people like to offhand a R.Acc Dagger. If you're serious about getting TP, don't do this. For fun, sure. Everyone likes to Dual Wield (I do it in Nyzul and sometimes in Dynamis to keep myself entertained). But even with Supp. and other Dual Wield gear it *does* slow down your TP gain when you're using a multi hit weapon.

2) Coffinmaker vs Martial Gun. I always said I didn't need Martial Gun, my Coffinmaker was good enough. But then I read up on it and did some research. Using the Martial Gun adds an addition 100% TP to the weapon skill you perform with it. In the case of Slug Shot (Which you're probably using) 100% more TP is going to do wonders for your accuracy on the shot. The nature of Slug is that it's very inaccurate in exchange for 4x damage. So the the TP bonus will help ensure you hit every time. If you're using Detonator, 100% TP is 150% damage, 200% TP is 200% damage, and 300% TP is 250% damage!. So getting to 100% TP and shooting your weaponskill with martial gun, you're going to be doing 50% more damage than if you shot with Coffinmaker.

That being said, If you're *not* a Joyeuse/M. Kris Corsair and you shoot for TP, then Coffinmaker may very well be your best bet. That's an entirely different setup, though. You'll have more Ranged Accuracy gear in more slots, and probably use Relic hands instead of Blood hands (Snapshot is like haste for ranged attack). Using Coffinmaker would allow you to trade in some more STR for your normal shots, doing more damage per shot in exchange for slightly less damage on the WS. Even though I don't do it, if you can afford it, a ranged attack COR *should* easily be able to outparse a joyeuse COR with the right gear. But it'd be close :)

Hope that helps.

(p.s. I'm not hating on anyone else's play style. I'll sub /whm, /war/, /thf, /rdm, /brd, /dnc, /blm, /rng, /sch or /nin . Whatever the situation needs, I'll fill the roll the best way I can. Just if someone chooses to play similar to myself, I wanted to offer some ideas :) )
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [382 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Eirwen
Serveur: Odin
user: dhkite
By Odin.Eirwen 2009-12-30 16:07:02
Link | Citer | R

While slowly working my way up to the better rare/exp gear, I've geared my COR (75 since a few days) towards dealing damage. Through the help of some friends with DD jobs, (my other mains aren't exactly DD types), I've managed to set up in interesting gear setup that gil can buy. Garrulous Ring is one of the items I like, for it gives the STR+3 for damage dealing, and AGI for a quick Quick Draw.

If I need to shoot a bullet, then I've got 20 (2 rings, behemonth and scorp+1) R.ACC macroed in the range macro, adding up to a nice number thans to the R.ACC in the gear I already wear, like Corsair's Tricorne, Spectacles, and for now, my Trump Gun.

When I go in for the Slug Shot, I'm stacking as much R.ACC as I can (without the change of weapons ofcourse), then switch bac to my melee gear.

My attacks won't match up with any real DD jobs, but I'm not doing bad. Even got some compliments after battles.

That is the style I like to play. Usually with /NIN, but at times with other subjobs as well.

Ofcourse, I've also prepared for other duties and styles, so I'm always prepared. I've got some nice gear for /WHM and for when I'll be spamming bullets, like for that one NM of ASA that can only be damaged with Ranged Attacks.
 Pandemonium.Rathz
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: Rathz
By Pandemonium.Rathz 2009-12-30 16:30:42
Link | Citer | R

Necro bump, GOOOOOOOOO
 Odin.Eirwen
Serveur: Odin
user: dhkite
By Odin.Eirwen 2009-12-30 17:13:49
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Rathz said:
Necro bump, GOOOOOOOOO
Very observant of you!

382 days... Outside the warranty?
*goes back to making COR item list*

SNEAK EDIT: DONE!
Here's my basic set!
 Fenrir.Shindo
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-12-30 17:18:25
Link | Citer | R

My COR is currently sitting on high 20's. I made a promise to myself that I would never ever use /WHM or play it strictly like a BRD, so for the moment I'm leveling my crafts to make bullets cheaply. All I really need is to raise my smithing sub. But I intend to /RNG and play it a lot more like RNG/BRD than BRD/whatever.

I also have a Quicksilver and Coffinmaker waiting in my safe. I'll also need to get a PCC.
 Pandemonium.Rathz
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: Rathz
By Pandemonium.Rathz 2009-12-30 17:37:52
Link | Citer | R

To far outside the warranty, sorry Eirwen.
 Bismarck.Narayan
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Filiros
By Bismarck.Narayan 2009-12-30 17:47:24
Link | Citer | R

Was I on anything? "Guess the drug". - A. Anderson.
 Bahamut.Evilswine
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Evilswine
By Bahamut.Evilswine 2009-12-31 00:48:33
Link | Citer | R

My COR is 48 atm so i dont really bother with gear setups (for 75) yet.

But in almost every party there's a discussion about:

1.) Double-Up on 6
2.) Double-Up on Unlucky number

I personally double-Up both of them cause if i bust its only like 40~50 secs w/o a buff before i can put up a new one (except i have a bust on me already, then i dont double-up at 6 or unlucky). So i personally prefer "No buff for 40~50 secs and try again > a lame buff" cause thats what COR is all about --> Gambling!

most of my pt members think the other way: "lame buff > no buff" even heard that from a 75 COR in the last pt ; ;

anyway i'm keeping up my style of playing the job, wether the rest of the pt likes it or not cause thats what i'm in the pt for, give f***in awesome buffs!
 Carbuncle.Callicantzaros
Serveur: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Callicantzaros 2009-12-31 01:28:32
Link | Citer | R

In all honesty COR can be played many ways. It more or less depends on how you want to play it. I play COR many different way depending on the occasion. COR is a job that can do many things in any party depending on what is needed. I have my COR geared for /whm /rng /nin. Each gear set for what its needed. I Have more gear sets for My cor then I do for any other job atm. I have different gear sets for each depending on just what I am doing. May to much gear for one job. But that is just Me. Its all User preference if You doing it for you. The job is very versatile and decent DD job thou it is not always seen that way.

Phoenix.Mogue
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2009-12-31 01:50:27
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Cohan
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Cohan 2009-12-31 03:26:40
Link | Citer | R

Basic Range Attack, i use either Subs or sushi depends on what im aiming for.
And no i dont do the /whm >.>
 Fairy.Disc
Serveur: Fairy
user: disc
By Fairy.Disc 2009-12-31 14:29:35
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus Mantle in Ranged Attack set.
 Sylph.Cohan
By Sylph.Cohan 2009-12-31 15:12:18
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Cohan said:

Basic Range Attack, i use either Subs or sushi depends on what im aiming for.
And no i dont do the /whm >.>
Fairy.Disc said:
Cerberus Mantle in Ranged Attack set.
well yeah, i havent made a sricpt for cor yet and i dont think im going to. so i just put the stuff i need for Range/WS dont feel like changing ***around, unless i do a quick draw, now that set i have set up to blink so the shot is right away.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-31 17:00:31
Link | Citer | R

Amemet Mantle NQ is very very cheap ... at the very least.
Serveur: Titan
By Titan.Nathanielglory 2010-01-04 15:42:44
Link | Citer | R

I solo things, its fun!
 Sylph.Jax
user: MissJax
By Sylph.Jax 2010-01-04 15:58:43
Link | Citer | R

I play it like a mage. :D
 Siren.Pantmonkey
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Pantmonkey 2010-01-04 16:04:39
Link | Citer | R

i use on /rng:
100%
joyeuse
coffin
steel bullets (nq if im just sleeping / dispelling on the cheap)

TP:
head Turban or Ohat depending on VT¬IT.
Neck PCC
earring Brutal and suppanomimi
body SH
hands Dusk or WAR gloves +1 depending on IT or VT
Rings: Rajas and snipers
back amemet
waist swift
legs Pahluwan
Feet: Atm crimson, but wanna change to AF+1 or pahluwans.

WS:
Head AF
neck same
same earrings atm
body AF
hands crimson
rings garulouas and rajas
back same
waist is warwolf, but close to bucaneer's.
legs same
feet AF.

QD is:
head AF
Neck is wing pentand (i know its bad, gonna get ugapeh).
Earring: Suppa (2AGi cant hurt) and moldavite earring.
Body: AF atm, need denali
rings: Garulous ring and Balhrahn's ring
back amememt mantle (wanna change this to comanders tho).
legs war greaves +1
feet AF

For sub /WHM i idle in astral's to give more MP, instead of the TP set with more MP slots, and for /whm my macro's also change the staves im on, obviosly /rng i wanna keeep TP, /whm its not so important.
 Siren.Pantmonkey
By Siren.Pantmonkey 2010-01-04 16:07:16
Link | Citer | R

Also IIRC dual wielding actually slows ur TP gain down if ur using another wep, but solely using joyeuse gets u more tp!

subbing /rng gives u the extra acc trait, which cancels the 200k odd dagger, and adds sharpshot and barrage.
 Remora.Thiefninja
user: Gawdless
By Remora.Thiefninja 2010-01-04 16:18:50
Link | Citer | R

not if your a joy/mkris cor :D

and if you need to sub nin because aoe or some crap then you will use trailers kukri or something to give you range acc..you wont just not put something there...
 Siren.Pantmonkey
By Siren.Pantmonkey 2010-01-04 16:38:05
Link | Citer | R

id put nothing there if i can dd the AoE mobs.
I often do. I dont have Mkris so just main hand joy only.
If i had to stand back, i guess ud put x2 acc daggers but thats so situational for me, if that was the case id just /whm.

Also if u have joy and m kris. wudnt u main hand kris and not use joyuse??

EDIT: or on /rng i'd just stand back as wudnt get AoE'd. >.> Im tired lol
 Ramuh.Lucried
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Lucried
By Ramuh.Lucried 2010-01-04 17:07:14
Link | Citer | R

well i personally like /rdm cause for the most part i only use cor for salvage since i dont typically get earring/ring cells depending on which area we go to. i mostly QD and use joytoy early on if i happen to get a weapon cell before we start fighting any of the nm's.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [105 days between previous and next post]
 Hades.Tripster
Serveur: Hades
user: Lisamarie
By Hades.Tripster 2010-04-19 21:32:47
Link | Citer | R

NECRO BUMP! (I GUESS I NEED TO ASK THIS)

Just dinged COR 31 and I'm wondering if I should use Rajas Ring or stick to a R.Acc+ Ring.

Corsairs, help me out.
First Page 2