Stun Locking!!!

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Stun locking!!!
Stun locking!!!
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-04 20:24:54
Link | Citer | R

I like fry pan. It's pretty fun. Especially when surrounded by chigs
 Sylph.Sindri
Serveur: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-04-04 20:28:20
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
I like fry pan. It's pretty fun. Especially when surrounded by chigs
I use it to kill Chigoes when I'm soloing Marids because the Stun saves my *** :)
[+]
 Fairy.Basilo
Serveur: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-04-04 22:28:06
Link | Citer | R

Your item set is dumb tbh. I only had to glance at that to see youre using way too much macc gear for a physical spell where regular acc or attributes would of been better and give more per slot. Macc is mainly for magical blu spells for a blue mage I pretty much have all ***u listed in that set but wouldnt use half of it for headbutt.

Stun locking as blu would be pretty iffy imo anything that hardcore that needed stun locking would probably have a high defense or eva meaning youd have to gear accordingly of course to lower resists. Rotating between frypan/tailslap/headbutt I assume is what youre looking to doing. Cant really see a safe/practical use for it imo. But thats my 2 cents anyway. I just felt compelled to post after seeing a pretty dumb macc build for headbutt.
[+]
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-04-04 22:30:21
Link | Citer | R

Also lol at penitents rope/cape for int for blu spells nothing points to suggesting int helps at all. And lol again for nashira hands, morri btw have 5 macc, but again id only use for magical blu spells not headbutt.
[+]
 Odin.Lowblow
Serveur: Odin
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-04-04 22:35:04
Link | Citer | R

Physical spells are effected by your Acc and blu skill.
As for dmg, thats based on main hand wpn dmg/skill, blu skill and modifiers.

Enough of this Int effecting headbutt BS.

And id like to see another job get a 4-6sec recast on a stun -.-
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-04 22:39:24
Link | Citer | R

For also people doing the whole anythign worth doing it on isn't acheiveable blah blah blah please read the OP at the least the rest of the read at most.

I've already gone over the things I want to use it for it lands fine and will be very helpful for
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-04 22:41:59
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Lowblow said:
Physical spells are effected by your Acc and blu skill. As for dmg, thats based on main hand wpn dmg/skill, blu skill and modifiers.
Main hand weapon has jack to do with spell dmg. Go ahead use a 1 dmg swd and a 50+ dmg staff. Assuming you hit and there are no stats on either dmg will be the same. Your blu skill is what counts as your base dmg instead. Though each spell has a cap though the stronger ones are as higher or higher than what is currently achievable. Fstr is still used too. And mob def in some sort of pdif that hasn't been fully figured out
[+]
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-04-04 22:43:10
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Lowblow said:
Physical spells are effected by your Acc and blu skill. As for dmg, thats based on main hand wpn dmg/skill, blu skill and modifiers. Enough of this Int effecting headbutt BS. And id like to see another job get a 4-6sec recast on a stun -.-

Pretty much what I kinda said/meant to say, additionally though ohysical spells are effected by Macc aswell as skill and regular acc but you have to *** the piece to decide weather to use macc or acc. For example enkidu mitts or homam id use for headbutt over my morri hands because one gives acc and haste , and one gives 5acc and 4str and dex which is superior to 5macc of morri even if the effects of macc vs regular acc on headbutt are 1/1 ratio.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-04-04 22:45:01
Link | Citer | R

Ya, except the base dmg on weapon having any effect.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-04-04 22:49:29
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
For also people doing the whole anythign worth doing it on isn't acheiveable blah blah blah please read the OP at the least the rest of the read at most. I've already gone over the things I want to use it for it lands fine and will be very helpful for

Wasnt trying to knock BLU mine is ok, youre prolly on yours on more whereas im always doing low man ***as blm. Not saying stun locking wont work or wont be useful if performed by a blu just I am curious where exacty this has proved to be useful or where exactly you had planned to implement it.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-04-04 22:51:18
Link | Citer | R

I await the day they introduce a sword with the property of "Enhances the effect of Heat Butt".

Only to find that it reduces the MP cost of the spell by 5%.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-04-04 22:51:58
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Korpg said:
Correct me if I'm wrong (not a level 75 BLU) but isn't the stun duration for all BLU spells vastly inferior to even DRK stun? I know that I can get a good 7 second stun as BLM on most anything, so why would people want to stun lock as BLU when it lasts for less than a second if it procs at all? All this going by my experiences as a 54 BLU on regular mobs.

"I know that I can get a good SEVEN second stun as blm on MOST ANYTHING" Funny stuff korpg, 7 seconds wtf lol.
[+]
 Odin.Lowblow
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-04-04 23:09:58
Link | Citer | R

either way sword skill/ blu skill / phsyical acc.
Is all you need to worry about on your HEadbutt setup.

Use your Haste gear + AF body (assuming you got sigil/refresh) and your golden.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-04 23:36:45
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Basilo said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
For also people doing the whole anythign worth doing it on isn't acheiveable blah blah blah please read the OP at the least the rest of the read at most. I've already gone over the things I want to use it for it lands fine and will be very helpful for
Wasnt trying to knock BLU mine is ok, youre prolly on yours on more whereas im always doing low man ***as blm. Not saying stun locking wont work or wont be useful if performed by a blu just I am curious where exacty this has proved to be useful or where exactly you had planned to implement it.
Naw I'm not usually blu. However hundred fist on a mobn that cant be stopped from running at 150% movement speed with only 2-3 people blm wont get to go lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2010-04-04 23:59:05
Link | Citer | R

I have personally stunlocked both T2 VNMs in Xarcabard as solo blu. Haste gear + magic acc merits + blu skill merits + haste + march + refresh + Sushi. Our party was BLU, RDM, PLD, and BRD. It is possible, though you cannot overlap the stun effect, and must wait for it to wear before recasting, or you're wasting 5 seconds.
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-04-05 02:53:05
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Basilo said:
Your item set is dumb tbh. I only had to glance at that to see youre using way too much macc gear for a physical spell where regular acc or attributes would of been better and give more per slot. Macc is mainly for magical blu spells for a blue mage I pretty much have all ***u listed in that set but wouldnt use half of it for headbutt.

Stun locking as blu would be pretty iffy imo anything that hardcore that needed stun locking would probably have a high defense or eva meaning youd have to gear accordingly of course to lower resists. Rotating between frypan/tailslap/headbutt I assume is what youre looking to doing. Cant really see a safe/practical use for it imo. But thats my 2 cents anyway. I just felt compelled to post after seeing a pretty dumb macc build for headbutt.

Well you're HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, plain and simple. The situation at hand is a BLU stun-locking these VNMs, not a general situation, and not the best way to defeat these NMs because there's obviously better. The item set was designed to gear towards less resists, Head Butt may be a Physical spell but the Additional Effect is very much Magic Based. Most of these NMs seem to have very low evasion, so with Sushi and capped sword, landing the physical portion should not be a problem.

Something you seem to have totally ignored is the Magic Accuracy. You seem to be implying that I assumed Magic Acc. is for all Blue Magic spells, and that is not at all the case which I am aware of. What YOU don't seem to be aware of is that Magic Accuracy will affect duration and process rate of Additional Effects on said Physical spells. When your Blue Magic Skill and/or Magic Accuracy is too low, you see a knockback animation on Head Butt and the monster is not stunned.

Regarding cycling through the stun spells, that's just a bit too risky. Should open up with Temporal Shift because it's by far the most reliable form of Stun Blue Mage has, then switch to your gear set and cast Head Butt whenever the Stun effect wears off.

To sum it all up, things you attempted to troll me for but you yourself forgot:

1) Magic Accuracy affects the Stun which is what the spell is being cast for
2) Dasvah does not have Tail Slap
3) All of the Stun spells except for Head Butt have DRASTICALLY long recasts, and it is not possible to consistently cycle through them
4) The original purpose of this thread

Edit: Swapped out Nash. Turban for Homam Zucchetto because completely forgot about it when making the set.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-04-05 09:09:49
Link | Citer | R

Honestly, I have strong doubts that anything effects proc rate on head butt (or any blu additional effect) outside of blue magic skill. Even blue magic skill I'm not so sure on. The only thing I can think of off hand for my third category (from my earlier post), is Einherjar bosses. I have had Head Butt proc on these several times, but is it reliable? *** no. Are you going to risk the whole alliance by relying on a blu as main stun? *** no! No matter what you do, are you ever going to get Head Butt on these mobs to 100% reliability? No. So why bother? That's my whole point, rather than *** around trying to make your head butt more reliable on mobs that are known to occasionally resist it, the smart thing to do is rely rely on something else.

If blu is all you have on the day, use Temporal Shift and Head Butt, but don't OPEN with Temporal Shift, what's the point? Save it for a particularly nasty spell or tp move that definitely needs stunning, and use Head Butt for all the lesser stuff.

In regards to Frypan, tailslap, Temporal Shift and Blitztrahl, I'd use Temporal Shift, but wouldn't really bother with the rest, except maybe Frypan. Head Butt spam, Temporal Shift for the important stuns, Frypan for the important stuns when Temporal Shift is down. I can't say I've done much testing, but I don't think Frypan is much more reliable than Head Butt. Tailslap is just an mp sink and average damage, and Blitztrahl takes way too long to cast. If you have a good haste build, with haste and even march, then your headbutt recast will be up again in less time than it takes to cast Blitz.

So for T2 VNM, from the only one I've fought (but I've fought it a few times, skele in Xarc/Beauc), your best bet is haste and acc (tp build). I've never had a head butt land and not proc, so obviously you just want to be able to pump out as many as you can, and make them land. Again, if you're in a situation where head butt is landing but not proc'ing, then blu isn't the right job for stunning that mob, end of story.

So yeah, this is my "Head Butt Build"

(Using Erlking's/Beast Slayer atm)
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-04-05 12:10:01
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Sindri said:
Fairy.Basilo said:
Your item set is dumb tbh. I only had to glance at that to see youre using way too much macc gear for a physical spell where regular acc or attributes would of been better and give more per slot. Macc is mainly for magical blu spells for a blue mage I pretty much have all ***u listed in that set but wouldnt use half of it for headbutt. Stun locking as blu would be pretty iffy imo anything that hardcore that needed stun locking would probably have a high defense or eva meaning youd have to gear accordingly of course to lower resists. Rotating between frypan/tailslap/headbutt I assume is what youre looking to doing. Cant really see a safe/practical use for it imo. But thats my 2 cents anyway. I just felt compelled to post after seeing a pretty dumb macc build for headbutt.
Well you're HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, plain and simple. The situation at hand is a BLU stun-locking these VNMs, not a general situation, and not the best way to defeat these NMs because there's obviously better. The item set was designed to gear towards less resists, Head Butt may be a Physical spell but the Additional Effect is very much Magic Based. Most of these NMs seem to have very low evasion, so with Sushi and capped sword, landing the physical portion should not be a problem. Something you seem to have totally ignored is the Magic Accuracy. You seem to be implying that I assumed Magic Acc. is for all Blue Magic spells, and that is not at all the case which I am aware of. What YOU don't seem to be aware of is that Magic Accuracy will affect duration and process rate of Additional Effects on said Physical spells. When your Blue Magic Skill and/or Magic Accuracy is too low, you see a knockback animation on Head Butt and the monster is not stunned. Regarding cycling through the stun spells, that's just a bit too risky. Should open up with Temporal Shift because it's by far the most reliable form of Stun Blue Mage has, then switch to your gear set and cast Head Butt whenever the Stun effect wears off. To sum it all up, things you attempted to troll me for but you yourself forgot: 1) Magic Accuracy affects the Stun which is what the spell is being cast for 2) Dasvah does not have Tail Slap 3) All of the Stun spells except for Head Butt have DRASTICALLY long recasts, and it is not possible to consistently cycle through them 4) The original purpose of this thread Edit: Swapped out Nash. Turban for Homam Zucchetto because completely forgot about it when making the set.

Dont call me HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE *** im telling you macc for headbutt over regular acc is stupid where there is alot more regular acc available for the same slot. I handt *** forgotten stun is affected by macc. Youre a total *** who shouts some HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ***around Sylph.

Either way your ideal headbutt build on 1st page is *** DUMB get over the fact you dont know how to build a job u have at 75 not my problem.

Also lol @ wall of text, learn to fkin paragraph.
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-04-05 12:15:09
Link | Citer | R

Head Butt as per wiki

DescriptionSpell cost: 12 MP
Monster Type: Beastmen
Spell Type: Physical (Blunt)
Blue Magic Points: 3
Stat Bonus: DEX+2
Jobs:

Blue Mage Level 12
editTimersCasting Time: 0.5 seconds
Recast Time: 10 seconds

editNotesBlunt damage.
Secondary modifiers: STR: 20%, INT: 20%.
Additional Effect: Stun does not always process. Blue Magic Skill and INT affect its processing rate.
Appears to cause a Knockback effect when the Stun effect does not process.
Will not overwrite, and is not overwritten, by any other Stun effect, including its own. Therefore, it is not possible to layer Stuns; the effect must wear off before it may be re-applied again.
Monsters that are resistant or immune to Stun are usually resistant or immune to the Additional Effect from this spell as well.

I'm with the guy who lol'd at using Macc for phsy spells.
Macc for MBlu spells only or GTFO
[+]
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-04-05 12:18:44
Link | Citer | R

Ty someone who agrees with me, tbh Sindri you can use w/e the *** you like if you wanna be brain dead for headbutt but I own alot of gear that u have in that MAcc item set and I ONLY use them for magical spells mpdrainkiss sheepsong reguritation(sp)etc.
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-04-05 12:30:02
Link | Citer | R

i'd say set fast cast, use lac. earing,refuling or outside haste + march, eat acc food,neck and rings int,homam legs,hands,relic body,walmart hat,swift belt or better,and denali feet. I don't think you'll do better than this. GL
[+]
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-04-05 23:53:38
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Basilo said:
Sylph.Sindri said:
Fairy.Basilo said:
Your item set is dumb tbh. I only had to glance at that to see youre using way too much macc gear for a physical spell where regular acc or attributes would of been better and give more per slot. Macc is mainly for magical blu spells for a blue mage I pretty much have all ***u listed in that set but wouldnt use half of it for headbutt. Stun locking as blu would be pretty iffy imo anything that hardcore that needed stun locking would probably have a high defense or eva meaning youd have to gear accordingly of course to lower resists. Rotating between frypan/tailslap/headbutt I assume is what youre looking to doing. Cant really see a safe/practical use for it imo. But thats my 2 cents anyway. I just felt compelled to post after seeing a pretty dumb macc build for headbutt.
Well you're HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, plain and simple. The situation at hand is a BLU stun-locking these VNMs, not a general situation, and not the best way to defeat these NMs because there's obviously better. The item set was designed to gear towards less resists, Head Butt may be a Physical spell but the Additional Effect is very much Magic Based. Most of these NMs seem to have very low evasion, so with Sushi and capped sword, landing the physical portion should not be a problem. Something you seem to have totally ignored is the Magic Accuracy. You seem to be implying that I assumed Magic Acc. is for all Blue Magic spells, and that is not at all the case which I am aware of. What YOU don't seem to be aware of is that Magic Accuracy will affect duration and process rate of Additional Effects on said Physical spells. When your Blue Magic Skill and/or Magic Accuracy is too low, you see a knockback animation on Head Butt and the monster is not stunned. Regarding cycling through the stun spells, that's just a bit too risky. Should open up with Temporal Shift because it's by far the most reliable form of Stun Blue Mage has, then switch to your gear set and cast Head Butt whenever the Stun effect wears off. To sum it all up, things you attempted to troll me for but you yourself forgot: 1) Magic Accuracy affects the Stun which is what the spell is being cast for 2) Dasvah does not have Tail Slap 3) All of the Stun spells except for Head Butt have DRASTICALLY long recasts, and it is not possible to consistently cycle through them 4) The original purpose of this thread Edit: Swapped out Nash. Turban for Homam Zucchetto because completely forgot about it when making the set.

Dont call me HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE *** im telling you macc for headbutt over regular acc is stupid where there is alot more regular acc available for the same slot. I handt *** forgotten stun is affected by macc. Youre a total *** who shouts some HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ***around Sylph.

Either way your ideal headbutt build on 1st page is *** DUMB get over the fact you dont know how to build a job u have at 75 not my problem.

Also lol @ wall of text, learn to fkin paragraph.

Well it is paragraphed... thats why its paragraphed, and if the head butt is landing anyways then theres no point in accuracy... Thats why I dropped around words like sushi and accuracy capped... Do you even read someones post or do you just skim and pretend to know what your arguing about..
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-04-06 06:43:36
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Sindri said:
Well it is paragraphed... thats why its paragraphed, and if the head butt is landing anyways then theres no point in accuracy... Thats why I dropped around words like sushi and accuracy capped... Do you even read someones post or do you just skim and pretend to know what your arguing about..

Look man you just need to face the fact that you posted a terrible head butt build period and either change it or just move on and accept you posted a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE build. You have a Macc build which is only going to work for Mblu spells not headbutt which is a physical spell. The build you posted is just lol sorry. Your making it worst by trying to defend the stupidity.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-04-06 06:57:07
Link | Citer | R

Lol, you got burned by Kalico, that's REALLY gotta hurt.
 Cerberus.Liquidblue
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Liquidblue 2010-04-06 11:01:01
Link | Citer | R

I wonder if I might side-rail this flame train for a minute and ask - Does anyone here do salvage as blue mage? I ran Zhayolm last week and we were targeting Poroggo Madames... All of them were susceptible to head-butt stun and the proc rate was pretty good, >75% at least.

I didn't change anything about my build between then and now and last night the stun rate on frogs was 0%... Has anyone else noticed this? Was there a tiny announcement line in an update recently that I missed? It must have been changed between March 30th and April 5th.
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-04-06 11:08:33
Link | Citer | R

I'm no BLU so forgive this stupid question: Could gameday play a roll in headbutt procing? Whether they're weaker on a particular day or the stun effect is boosted by a particular day?

Though the more I think about it, the less likely there would be such a huge difference between the two runs.

(I understand that it's a physical spell. I'm talking about the stun effect only.)

Meh, nevermind I guess. I have no clue, nor have I seen any update notes about a change.
 Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2010-04-06 11:14:10
Link | Citer | R

The stun effect from Head Butt is lightning elemental, as you can see by trying to stun lighting and earth elementals, but you can stun the rest. (Same principle used to discover that bind is ice, even though regur. is water and blastbomb is fire.)

If the salvage frogs gain certain resistances on certain days, then that could explain it, but I am unfamiliar with those particular salvage NMs
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-04-06 11:21:16
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Job: Black Mage
Family: Poroggos
Weak to: Ice, Lightning
Immune to: Element of day of entry into Zhayolm Remnants

There ya go.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Poroggo_Madame
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2010-04-06 11:25:26
Link | Citer | R

That would explain it perfectly then. They must've entered on lightnings day.
 Cerberus.Liquidblue
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Liquidblue 2010-04-06 12:02:24
Link | Citer | R

Ah yes, I believe we did enter on lightningday... That makes perfect sense now. Thanks for pointing that out. I looked at that page last night but didn't make that connection.

So back to the topic of stun locking, I'll try and change things around a little and see if I can get some testing in tonight - and for sure avoid entering on lightningday...

I'm not familiar with posting the item sets, but for example... I'll use relic head and back, ksi sash, denali boots, etc. and see if that improves the proc rate or duration rather than full haste/acc. Normally, I'd use W turban, Cuch mantle, swift belt, homam feet and that type of thing in those spots.

Edit: Also, in response to Dasva's OP, I love stun locking things, especially big nasty things like Dahak in Nyzul isle or Wyverns in salvage. If your timing is right and haste is sufficient, you can get into a rhythm where every time you stun, you stun a TP move and the stun lasts as long as the HB cooldown.

I do this regularly on the mobs I just mentioned and for good reason - they have nasty tp moves. When you're doing it right, the mobs will immediately try to TP again when they un-stun and your timer will be up so you can cast HB again right when the previous stun wears off.