Video Game Music You Can't Get Sick Of! (one Per Post)

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Video game music you can't get sick of! (one per post)
Video game music you can't get sick of! (one per post)
First Page 2 3 ... 89 90 91 ... 93 94 95
By alzeerffxi 2021-12-19 12:50:40
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder

i loved this *** game because of how cheesy the story was translated, But the music in the other hand is incredible, ign gave it 2.4 lol, i loved the combat i think they were on crack or something, or maybe because of n64 controls...
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Xaander 2021-12-20 19:32:12
Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-12-25 22:07:32
Link | Citer | R

It's a long listen. One of those songs that transitions based on the stage of the game. If all you want is a good taste, skip ahead to 08:57.

One of the best parts of the lore overhaul for Riot's universe was how they made the music tie in really closely with the various regions. Bilgewater's theme got one of the best melodies, and the evolving song for the Butcher's Bridge event proved their competence in making music. Sounds like a sea shanty.
By Pantafernando 2021-12-28 18:09:35
Link | Citer | R

[+]
By Pantafernando 2021-12-28 18:14:42
Link | Citer | R

[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Xaander 2021-12-31 14:18:43
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-12-31 17:00:53
Link | Citer | R

[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Xaander 2022-01-05 16:55:46
Link | Citer | R

Two different remixes of the same song. I like the first a little better because it has more going on, but it's ultimately upbeat vs smooth, so can't really go wrong.

[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-01-10 02:33:33
Link | Citer | R

So, today I discovered this great project. Someone called Spaceroast who does game music remixes is currently making an album of lo-fi chill remixes of FFXI BGM!

He has two out so far on Youtube, Windurst and San d'Oria, and his YT description of the first one says "Expect new tracks from Vana'diel Chill weekly throughout this year, and a full album post when it's complete!"

Link to full YouTube playlist (to be updated): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1tXoVcYaLv57QWHLD8jH8jmXme6jWGnk

Windurst:

San d'Oria:

Spaceroast, if you happen to see this: thank you!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Xaander 2022-01-13 16:32:18
Link | Citer | R

[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-01-20 07:55:24
Link | Citer | R

Damn, I wasn't expecting that sax drop a minute in. Took the song from like a 6 to a straight 10 out of 10 there.

Prior to that, it was sort of reminding me of this number from the fan-made sequel to C&C Renegade:

Also, it's really funny watching Snorlax twerking to jazz music XD
[+]
By Mattelot 2022-01-20 09:14:06
Link | Citer | R

I'm probably alone here but I'm a big fan of 8-bit NES music. I have a collection of about 4000 NSF files.

One that comes to mind that I like is Crystalis.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-01-20 09:36:33
Link | Citer | R

Nah, tons of people love the old 8-bit stuff. Though I can't say it holds as special in my heart as 16-bit(EDIT:whoops) just because of when I got my first console.

[+]
By Mattelot 2022-01-20 09:38:26
Link | Citer | R

Megadrive was 16 bit.

You... are fired!

For real though, modern games do have good music but nothing sticks in my head like old school retro stuff. Maybe it's because music in many modern games is a lot quieter vs what you and I just posted which is right there in your face, so to speak.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-01-20 09:51:57
Link | Citer | R

There's a pretty good video to help explain that phenomenon.
In summary, it has to do with how our meaty brains remember music. We write it in our brains as only a single instrument, so if a song is limited to only a couple of sounds at a time, it needs to have a good melody on just one instrument. If you can hum it, you'll remember it.

That said, that doesn't mean all limited songs are memorable, nor does it mean that all modern songs aren't memorable.

[+]
By Mattelot 2022-01-20 10:52:54
Link | Citer | R

Thank you for that, Jess. That was actually a very good watch (and I did watch the whole thing). A lot of that makes sense.

The only 1 thing I didn't completely agree to was when he said "Would you really wanna go back to this *** when we have this ***?"

You could say the same for the graphics of retro games vs modern games. There is still a huge fan following for retro games because they have a certain appeal and for some, nostalgia. The music is no different to me. Modern improvements are good but if we all simply turned the page for it, would most of us still be playing XI? :)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-01-20 11:49:14
Link | Citer | R

Mattelot said: »
The only 1 thing I didn't completely agree to was when he said "Would you really wanna go back to this *** when we have this ***?"
That part was poorly worded, and I think the comments section of that video already let them know that lol

I think as long as the music gels with the style of the game, it really doesn't matter. And I think the point they were trying to make with that section of the video was that it would be jarring to keep the 8-bit rendition of the Final Fantasy theme on modern titles with the hyper-detailed 3D graphics and everything.

That video was also released in 2012, which is before the wave of retro-style indie games exploded. Now the older chiptune style is making a return. It's really fascinating how the limitations of old gaming consoles created an entire field of music out of necessity.

Every console had a completely different sound font back then too. Some games took better advantage of it than others. That's one of the reasons why games ported from Nintendo to Sega often sounded like garbage. But for those composers that knew what they were doing could spin gold out of it.

[+]
By Mattelot 2022-01-20 11:57:27
Link | Citer | R

lol ok, I didn't read the comments because I clicked on your link here.

It does make a lot of sense. I still also think what I said is part of it as well. When you play a game today, most of them (not all) have mild music, quieter music in the background. Back in the NES era, the music was loud and bold. I think a combination of that is enough to ingrain them into your brain.

ingrain in the brain...

Cypress Hill... hmm...

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Now the older chiptune style is making a return

Yes! And I'm glad too.
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
That's one of the reasons why games ported from Nintendo to Sega often sounded like garbage.

Man, the port of Doom between Sega 32x and SNES is a pristine example of that

EDIT: Not sure why my quotes posted out of order I put them in...
By Xaander 2022-01-20 15:23:16
Link | Citer | R

I was hoping to post the version of this song from the official piano collection album, but I couldn't find the solo track on Youtube. This guy's version isn't bad, especially at the end, but check out the song on Spotify for the best version.

And since everyone is having fun with 8 bit, here ya go:
[+]
By Musashi232 2022-01-25 05:54:01
Link | Citer | R

wait for the guitar riff :)
[+]
By Xaander 2022-01-26 18:42:43
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-01-26 20:25:24
Link | Citer | R

Apparently McGroove was taken off the air for a while because the Algorithm(TM) kept flagging his videos for sounding too close to the originals lol

I heard this song again just a few minutes ago. It's a shame it isn't more commonly used. Wings of the Goddess has some truly A-plus music that tends to be criminally underutilized.

Every time I hear it, I like it more.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-01-26 20:29:18
Link | Citer | R

Oh damn I hadn't seen SmoothMcGroove in a minute! Wondered if he just vanished like everyone else seems to into the aether.
[+]
By Xaander 2022-01-27 00:39:42
Link | Citer | R

Apparently he was very sick. Something with his kidneys or liver? I don't remember exactly. Anyway, he found a treatment that worked and finally had the energy to make music again.
First Page 2 3 ... 89 90 91 ... 93 94 95