Forum » FFXI » General » Parrying skillups
Parrying skillups
 Shiva.Kilkus
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: kilkus
By Shiva.Kilkus 2010-02-20 10:10:11
Link | Citer | R

I'm in the process of capping parrying and im just curious as to.. how have people done it before? Whats the quickest way? Currently I am on my 75 PLD just taking hits with an earth staff and some damage down gear.. but would dual swords be better? any input is appreciated, im current 191.3 / 225 (Cap for pld)

Thanks

~Kil
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-20 10:22:41
Link | Citer | R

Just tanking should get you up there in the least painful way. Like tanking hundred fisting mobs with sentinel up so you don't die would be awesome. Ie dynamis

Things that hit frequently are good. Having phalanx also helps alot with stacking -pdt and def gear. Mandy type mobs will be what you are looking for.

If I remember right for combat skillups if you find out what lvl you would've capped at that skill then the mob would have to be that lvl or higher to recieve skill ups.

So the lower lvl mandys in the tree will stop 208 for pld though will slow down a bit at 194. But as a rdm/blu I could litterally hold 20 at a time with genbu shield so you should be able to hold alot to as a pld/rdm.

Should be able to hold 2-3 korrigans at once and that can take you to the cap but will slow down at like 217 so might want to move to the ones in Den of rancor which is what most guides say.
 Cerberus.Quintow
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Quintow
By Cerberus.Quintow 2010-02-20 10:27:02
Link | Citer | R

From what I've seen 2 swords wouldn't make it any better - I've never seen a parry proc from the offhand. Also, a parry procs before anything else (or maybe evasion first, probably, but hard to tell and makes no difference really), so feel free to use sword/shield combo, or whatever combo you'd like really. I'm pld main, and parry is the only thing I've yet to cap (221/225). I have gotten very close tho from farming Alky's bracelets as sam/dnc in delkfutts tower. Martial master weeks being the best of course, not to say you'll be guaranteed any skillups either way tho, it is very random. All I know is the more you parry the more chances you have to skill up period. If you have boxer's mantle I'd use that, then whatever else you feel would be good. Things like hauby have - 5 agi which suck for parry also means -20 evasion so more chances to parry as well. Good luck to ya.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-20 10:32:49
Link | Citer | R

Yeah evasion check is first. Then parry. Then blink then gaurd/shield. Which is why parry is so horrible on my thf with capped evasion.

2 swds would only help if they gave +parrying skill otherwise it doesn't matter what you wear as long as you have a weapon that can parry in your main. Ie not h2h.

Agi will help your chances to parry but also your chances to evade... generally +agi +parrying and -evasion is somewhat smiled upon provided you can still survive. +evasion=bad

Currently I just mostly afk against crabs and let drain samba do all my healing and eventually get skill ups. Or just get some from soloing random ***
 Shiva.Kilkus
Serveur: Shiva
user: kilkus
By Shiva.Kilkus 2010-02-20 10:51:01
Link | Citer | R

Hmm, alright then guys, thanks for the input - I'ma head out and try it :P thanks!

~ kil
 Ragnarok.Inga
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Inga
By Ragnarok.Inga 2010-02-20 10:57:31
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yeah evasion check is first. Then parry. Then blink then gaurd/shield. Which is why parry is so horrible on my thf with capped evasion.

2 swds would only help if they gave parrying skill otherwise it doesn't matter what you wear as long as you have a weapon that can parry in your main. Ie not h2h.

Agi will help your chances to parry but also your chances to evade... generally agi parrying and -evasion is somewhat smiled upon provided you can still survive. evasion=bad

Currently I just mostly afk against crabs and let drain samba do all my healing and eventually get skill ups. Or just get some from soloing random ***

other way around, guard is last, shield/parry is before it, guard is way harder to cap then parry, as of right now tho my MNK is 69 trying to keep it capped or close to has proven much harder then it has for shield and parry when I was leveling PLD and SAM / NIN
 Remora.Mataniah
Serveur: Remora
user: Mataniah
By Remora.Mataniah 2010-02-20 11:05:57
Link | Citer | R

imo and exp, i've always went with parry+ eqp as rdm (swords, hands, neck) and gotten a better proc rate as skill boosted & gone up. even with a better proc rate vs steelshells i haven't gotten much. I get more of a skill up off Lv75-80 NM's when the proc kicks in. I've tryed the mandies but noluck with those for me.

But i'd suggest try adding more +parry skill. hope this helps (even tho i'm not pld but rdm><)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-20 11:13:37
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Inga said:
other way around, guard is last, shield/parry is before it, guard is way harder to cap then parry, as of right now tho my MNK is 69 trying to keep it capped or close to has proven much harder then it has for shield and parry when I was leveling PLD and SAM / NIN
Well it's not like you can shield and gaurd in the same setup so no way to really prove if shield comes before or after gaurding. And shield and gaurd is still after parrying AND blink/utsesmi/3rd while parrying is right after evasion

wiki said:
Guard only works when the player is using a Hand-to-Hand weapon (or barehand). The higher your Guarding Skill, the better the chance that it will activate

Guard Activation and Effect
Opponent's attack must bypass character's evasion, shadows (Blink/Utsusemi), and counter for this trait to trigger

To activate your shield skill, you must fail your evasion and parry checks, and you must be facing the mob (under ~60 degree angle).

To activate parrying skill you must:

Face the mob (within a ~60 degree angle).
Have your weapon drawn.
Fail your evasion check.
Parrying skill can activate while casting spells. Parry can activate during a ranged attack so long as you are facing your auto-attack target. Parry can activate even if you have the effect of of Third Eye, Utsusemi, or Blink (Status Effect) active.