simple gear for a simple player
 Kujata.Argettio
Serveur: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-18 05:45:27
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Assumed value for base AGI as I have no idea.

FFXI Stat Calculator

Favourite that *** :D
 Asura.Artemicion
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-18 05:47:13
Link | Citer | R

Ah well the theory of the relationship between STR & attack that I've been going by for ages has been the old potato/potato sack theory which an old friend taught me. Not sure how accurate it is to actual in game calculation but it basically says:

STR = potato sack
Atk = potatoes

Doesn't do much good to have a gigantic sack and no potatoes to make any use of it. Nor does it help to have a tiny sack and 93058235098 potatoes going to waste.

inb4testiclejokes
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-18 05:49:12
Link | Citer | R

Kujata.Argettio said:
Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Assumed value for base AGI as I have no idea.

FFXI Stat Calculator

Favourite that *** :D

Oh ***! That one looks way better..

I use this one that I found ages ago.. It's wrong by a few numbers on lots of occasions >_>;
 Hades.Kvazz
Serveur: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-18 05:51:33
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Artemicion said:
Ah well the theory of the relationship between STR & attack that I've been going by for ages has been the old potato/potato sack theory which an old friend taught me. Not sure how accurate it is to actual in game calculation but it basically says:

STR = potato sack
Atk = potatoes

Doesn't do much good to have a gigantic sack and no potatoes to make any use of it. Nor does it help to have a tiny sack and 93058235098 potatoes going to waste.

inb4testiclejokes

Nice one, just remember that with y/g/k you get a huge amount of potatoes and you need a big sack to fill it :P
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-18 05:55:02
Link | Citer | R

Haven't played in ages and memories of in game calculations and whatnot seemed to have been washed way, so I wasn't aware Y/G/K gave an attack bonus upon their use. Thanks for the info guys :D
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-18 05:59:09
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Artemicion said:
Haven't played in ages and memories of in game calculations and whatnot seemed to have been washed way, so I wasn't aware Y/G/K gave an attack bonus upon their use. Thanks for the info guys :D

Most (but no all) high end single hit WS have a large attack and accuracy boost.

Which is why SAM can get away with WS in pure STR builds.

Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-18 06:00:18
Link | Citer | R

Also why assuming the samurai has a good TP build with proper additions of haste and necessary accuracy can full time meat for overall increase in dps during both WS & TP phases.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-18 09:16:07
Link | Citer | R

Tachi: Yukikaze, Gekko and Kasha.

Dynamis would be one of the very few situations I would /NIN on SAM, so pulling hate shouldn't be a bad thing.

Don't forget too, that mobs shouldn't last long at all for a decent sized Dynamis LS. ~18 people in a zone and mobs should be dying every 30s ~ 1min max.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-18 09:17:29
Link | Citer | R

Tachi: Kasha
Tachi: Gekko
Tachi: Yukikaze

'The big 3 SAM WS' aka g/k/y (or some combination there of)
 Ramuh.Tousou
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-02-18 09:25:07
Link | Citer | R

Swapping has the advantage of specialization, which you probably already know by now. Really, there are some people who take this far and have macros for every little thing possible. I prefer to be minimalist with what I do. Keep it simple, keep it fun.

If you play on PC, Windower can make your life easier and make macros seem like much less of a hassle.

As Raen said, Samurai/Ranger is polar, which will provide quite a problem should you avoid gear swaps. I believe if you're really apt to continue the road and truly enjoy playing, you should take the time to develop macros suited for the combination.

As has already been suggested: A TP set and a Sidewinder/WS set would be a good minimum. (TP, WS, and a Standing set are all I ever use, personally)

The suggested sets on Page 1(?) will provide you with the speed to build TP, as well as the accuracy and power to ensure each arrow you shoot goes unwasted.

Edit: Yeah yeah, the Mithra gets credit, too :p
 Carbuncle.Kyhira
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Kyhira 2010-02-18 10:24:56
Link | Citer | R

Summary:

Q: Hi I want suggestions for easy to obtain hybrid AH gear for my sam/rng, because I dont like gear swaps.

A: blah blah gearswap, blah blah more gearswap, blah blah GK WS blah blah more GK WS, blah blah sky gear, blah blah salvage gear, and more gearswap again.

Almost looks like no one actually read the question before answering it. Except for maybe Zephyran who actually tries to help OP build a set based on what they said in their first post.

But again, guess that's what makes this forum fun to read.

"Liten to meeee!! I R best!! Although I havent learned to read yet"

Post deleted by User.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-18 11:03:27
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Agles said:
(also id be willing to do 1 gear swop, so if you see something to swop please say)

Why 1 swap

Even a simple 5 line macro would allow 4 swaps.
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-02-18 11:04:24
Link | Citer | R

Kujata.Argettio said:
Siren.Agles said:
(also id be willing to do 1 gear swop, so if you see something to swop please say)

Why 1 swap

Ingame macros have 6 lines lol.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-18 11:04:58
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Enternius said:
Kujata.Argettio said:
Siren.Agles said:

Why 1 swap

Ingame macros have 6 lines lol.

Shows how often i use them lol

Post deleted by User.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-18 11:07:38
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Kyhira said:
Summary:

Q: Hi I want suggestions for easy to obtain hybrid AH gear for my sam/rng, because I dont like gear swaps.

A: blah blah gearswap, blah blah more gearswap, blah blah GK WS blah blah more GK WS, blah blah sky gear, blah blah salvage gear, and more gearswap again.

Almost looks like no one actually read the question before answering it. Except for maybe Zephyran who actually tries to help OP build a set based on what they said in their first post.

The guy was asking for gear advice on a job combo can not be effectively be played with a single gear set.

If the OP wants to 'get away' with 1 gear set then they need to do SAM/WAR, but even that wouldn't be pretty.
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-02-18 11:09:46
Link | Citer | R

Kujata.Argettio said:
If the OP wants to 'get away' with 1 gear set then they need to do SAM/WAR, but even that wouldn't be pretty.
Easy.

Wyvern Helm and DOMARUUUUUU
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-18 11:11:14
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Enternius said:
Kujata.Argettio said:
Easy.

Wyvern Helm and DOMARUUUUUU

Don't forget your axe grip.
 Leviathan.Webjester
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2010-02-18 11:12:31
Link | Citer | R

SAM/RNG Sidewinder (RACC +84 / WCACC +10 / AGI +15):

Ramuh.Tousou
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-02-18 11:13:18
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Kyhira said:

The irony is this:
Zephy said:
Ninja Edit: You guys don't even have SAM leveled... /facepalm.

Now:
Agles said:
i never been a player thats big on equipment swopping and such. i know with SAM those seem to be bad words. but i make do and doing is well.

anyhow, im wondering what equipment i should look at getting. i dont have alot of gil nor do i do much inturms of endgame other then dyna. so im pretty much looking at AH gear. also, have rng lvled to 69. so i could have some rng ear i could pull off it as well.

Edit: Not once have I stated that I am the best. I've offered suggestions to a fellow Samurai on how to better themselves at the job they do, and in the most minimalist way.
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-18 11:29:01
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Agles said:
ok, so far ear i got so far. whats your thoughts?

Weapon - Soboro
Sub - Rose Strap
Range - Shigeto Bow
Ammo - Demon
Head - O-hat
Body - Hachiman
Hand - Hachiman
Legs - Siphahi Zerahs
Feet - Hachiman
Neck - Jagd Gorget
Belt - Saotome Koshi-ate
Back - Amenet Mantle
Ear 1 - Beater's Earring
Ear 2 - Vision Earring
Ring - Behemoth Rings
Looks about right. But really, you'd do better with the Axe Grip for more STR. You can exchange 4 sTP for 3 STR and still retain the 6 hit after using Sidewinder (5 swings from Soboro (80ish TP), after the Sidewinder (20ish TP)).

Also you can use the Amemet Mantle (NQ/HQ) for DNC as well. I'm not really sure if Commanders is any good, maybe for BLU, but not sure for DNC and the other jobs that can sport it.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-18 11:39:23
Link | Citer | R

It's possible that the animation and attack round overlap, I occasionally get ~35 TP when I use GK ws's, and it shows in the log that I WS then hit, but the animation hasn't finished.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-18 11:40:39
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Summary:

Your challenge should you choose to accept it is to build a hybrid gear set with no swaps which will make an effective SAM/RNG. If you can do this then you are much better than me.

This is -almost- like asking how I'd make a hybrid DRK enfeebling magic build and weaponskill build or tp build without gear swapping. Not even worth thinking about unless you're prepared to swap...
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-18 11:43:27
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Agles said:
after a number of sidewinders last night, i found myself with 60tp? why did i endup with all that tp if your saying 20ish. meditate was not active. so i dont know why.

would i still be meleeing during the ws hitting? if soboro proct in that time. could answer why. but idk o.O
Hacks, Lol.

Yeah, your Soboro is swinging during the WS's animation. Happens a lot if you /dnc too and use a Samba/Waltz, you'll swing while still dancing and hear the whole "Hiyah!" and see random numbers appear over the target's head, Lol.
 Carbuncle.Kyhira
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Kyhira 2010-02-18 11:44:52
Link | Citer | R

If you can't answer OP's question based on what they want, then don't answer?

I sure as hell can't but atleast I'm not throwing the whole "Gear swap or GTFO" crap at them when they made it clear already that they're not intrested in it. Meanwhile you're bashing the one guy that is actually trying to help the OP based on how they asked the question.