WAR TANK?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » WAR TANK?
WAR TANK?
 Odin.Sheelay
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-02-26 00:52:43
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Zoltar said:
THF and MNK tanking pretty much makes nobody want WAR tanking anyway, mostly bc of TH

Though I look forward to partying outside of Abyssea and KCNMs. WAR will be handy for those

MNK doesn't have TH so if you have to pull it out in a WAR topic then you better give other reasons to it, like DoT, Base HP or Subtle Blow.

THF and MNK tanking are pretty different since one tends to evading enemy hits and dealing considerable damage within Abyssea (thanks to Atmas) VS the other, constantly dealing decent amomounts of damage (enough to hold hate, except for hate reset moves) and having big chunks of HP to back any move used by the enemy whenever they have TP for tem.

WAR tanking is viable due to te good damage output granted by the "relatively" new Retaliation JA (which allows WAR to build TP and WS faster) and the increased WS capability which, combined with Atmas, grant WAR enough damage pitential to take and hold hate.

The damage output is of great help to the natively available "Hate Building" moves that WAR has (Provoke, Warcry, Bloodrage + Enmity Gear, not to forget the fair availability of both PDT and MDT gear).

As for this:

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Nothing wrong with WAR tanking in Abyssea. You can ramp up your HP quite high with Atma and Cruor buffs ... and since a decently-geared Abyssea WHM with near-bottomless MP can cure 2500 HP every 8 seconds or so ... yeah WAR can tank.

I doubt WAR will be a very good endgame tank @ 99, presuming level 90-->99 endgame content will not be Abyssea-based. But for now, yeah, no reason a WAR can't tank.

I'm sorry, but your motivations are too vague and flawed. According to your opinion WAR could only tank within Abyssea, and the tanking potential would only depend on the skill of the WHM cure bombing the poor soul that is your targeted WAR.

WAR could tank stuff back at 75 and handle just fine. It all depended on the WAR's skill and dedication, not simply on their healer's work.

Unfortunately, thanks to the direction this game has been turning to since the release of Abyssea, neither your nor my opinion matter/differ, since the game is ***easy and a paraplegic dropping down a flight of stairs while blindfolded could achieve what everyone else can in the game right now with no sweat, but IRL.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Lunatone
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Lunatone
By Gilgamesh.Lunatone 2011-02-26 01:10:41
Link | Citer | R

war WAS the taank back when we merited off birds back before abyssea, and even now in abyssea on NMs i still have the War in my shell tank he does an awesome job at it as war/sam, great tanking potential but half the wars are retards who just wanna put out high numbers cause it excites them
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Katori
user: agroyboy
By Gilgamesh.Katori 2011-02-26 02:01:57
Link | Citer | R

it's funny how we keep repeating ourselfs. can war tank yes. is it smart? i dont think so but some may believe they can. i have straight tanked giants war/sam. but that was pretty much blood tanking lucky somehow IV cure kept me alive. could have been the gear i had also. and you yes back in merit days war/nin were tanks but those mobs died in what 30 secs maybe. shoot i have tanked mobs as rng/nin back in merit party days. also tanked zone bosses as rng/nin. on my server there's one war that i know of that can tank and still out DD everyone.

well i say to anyone that was to try war tanking and good luck and best wishes. i believe anyone can do anything if have the right skills and right partners.
 Asura.Echandra
Serveur: Asura
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2011-02-26 02:10:56
Link | Citer | R

I think we should all reflect on every bit of info on warrior from 2004 to present, regurgitate it, over analyze it some more, add some flavor to it (no don't add bacon), make sure we hesitantly state the obvious, then truly decide....

CAN WAR TANK!?

I need more examples....
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Gilgamesh.Katori
user: agroyboy
By Gilgamesh.Katori 2011-02-26 02:15:34
Link | Citer | R

hey echandra long time no see. you still in tribe/tribewtf. problemly dont remember me but it's agroyboy/shawnr from back in the days.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-02-26 03:06:56
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Asura.Echandra said:

I think we should all reflect on every bit of info on warrior from 2004 to present, regurgitate it, over analyze it some more, add some flavor to it (no don't add bacon), make sure we hesitantly state the obvious, then truly decide....

CAN WAR TANK!?

I need more examples....

WAR can only tank sub WHM.
They're only trying to tank as well as a pld ca- lawl I can't say it, I just can't
[+]
 Asura.Echandra
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2011-02-26 08:28:33
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Asura.Echandra said:

CAN WAR TANK!?

I need more examples....

WAR can only tank sub WHM.

oh. weeeeeell i was going to start /drk for stun but if I /whm I guess I'd have haste now. Reraise for if I get killed too....
 Odin.Zicdeh
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-02-26 09:01:55
Link | Citer | R

One detail you're forgetting about Outside-abssyea tanking.
 Fenrir.Jumeya
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Jumeya
By Fenrir.Jumeya 2011-02-26 09:36:58
Link | Citer | R

You can wear a 50% PDT set, throw in phalanx and still have good DD potential as WAR on top of it's decent/good JAs

No reason not to use it as a tank if that's what someone wants to play as.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-26 09:41:18
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Jumeya said:
You can wear a 50% PDT set, throw in phalanx and still have good DD potential as WAR on top of it's decent/good JAs

No reason not to use it as a tank if that's what someone wants to play as.

No reason to wear PDT gear all the *** time either.
Macro it in when you'r in trouble, or if you'r really careful, when Third eye or Utsusemi is down.
Most of the time, atleast in abyssea, your WHM should be totally fine with curing you alot.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jumeya
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Jumeya
By Fenrir.Jumeya 2011-02-26 09:46:19
Link | Citer | R

Because swapping gear makes all the difference, in abyssea.

Depends what your fighting.

You make it sound like you can't kill anything without putting on your e-peen zomg gear, when in reality, you got those e-peen gear wearing other things.

It helps, it's not necessary.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-26 09:49:23
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Jumeya said:

You make it sound like you can't kill anything without putting on your e-peen zomg gear, when in reality, you got those e-peen gear wearing other things.

What?
Since when is normal tp-gear epeen and pdt gear not? :P
Gearswapping helps alot, if you dont do it, learn how to.
[+]
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-02-26 13:39:52
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Fenrir.Jumeya said:
You can wear a 50% PDT set, throw in phalanx and still have good DD potential as WAR on top of it's decent/good JAs No reason not to use it as a tank if that's what someone wants to play as.
No reason to wear PDT gear all the *** time either. Macro it in when you'r in trouble, or if you'r really careful, when Third eye or Utsusemi is down. Most of the time, atleast in abyssea, your WHM should be totally fine with curing you alot.
There comes a point when cure bombing gets utterly rediculous IE Dragua w/ 2 tanks on it. I was Cure V/VI spamming so much that I hardly had time to do anything else, and had to ask for a Refresh II on top of that.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-02-26 13:42:02
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Jumeya said:

wat
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-26 13:47:07
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Fenrir.Jumeya said:
You can wear a 50% PDT set, throw in phalanx and still have good DD potential as WAR on top of it's decent/good JAs No reason not to use it as a tank if that's what someone wants to play as.
No reason to wear PDT gear all the *** time either. Macro it in when you'r in trouble, or if you'r really careful, when Third eye or Utsusemi is down. Most of the time, atleast in abyssea, your WHM should be totally fine with curing you alot.
There comes a point when cure bombing gets utterly rediculous IE Dragua w/ 2 tanks on it. I was Cure V/VI spamming so much that I hardly had time to do anything else, and had to ask for a Refresh II on top of that.

But that's not all the time :P
 Bahamut.Dasva
Serveur: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-26 13:47:09
Link | Citer | R

I don't always swap gear but when I do I'm clearly epeening.

On a less sarcastic note most jobs I start doing gear swaps by lvl 30. By lvl 75 I probably bring at least 30 peices of armor that I switch in and out of... and that was back when I was just using ig maccros on melee jobs. The difference is rediculous to lolfulling everything
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-02-26 18:14:01
Link | Citer | R

I start gear swaps at level 14, str rings for WS.

Every DD should have PDT/MDT sets makes life so much easier
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-26 18:14:30
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Neisan said:
I start gear swaps at level 14, str rings for WS.
Why would you do that?
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-02-26 18:16:48
Link | Citer | R

One hit WS don't need anything else I'm wearing.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-26 18:17:14
Link | Citer | R

You misunderstood my question.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-02-26 18:18:48
Link | Citer | R

Flew right over me then :/
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-26 18:20:24
Link | Citer | R

Ring 1:
Ring 2:
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-02-26 18:22:50
Link | Citer | R

Were never on AH when I was leveling that low, had to use courage rings. This was back in 2008? Most of my jobs were around 30+ by then, or at least the ones I cared about.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-26 18:24:07
Link | Citer | R

even then, I don't see macroing them in. Str rings would be next in line to use. So they'd be fulltimed, not macro'd in.
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-02-26 18:26:56
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Ring 1:
Ring 2:

Doesn't the enchantment last 30 minutes =.=a, making wearing 2 a redundancy as 1 ring can maintain the stat boost permanently (Zone change/dying permitting...) and just put a STR+2 and/or the Acc-enchant one on the other finger?

(Though i see your point in all this :|)
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-02-26 18:27:27
Link | Citer | R

Back then I also thought defense did something, I know better now.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-26 18:27:46
Link | Citer | R

Mighty rings do stack w/ one another.
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-02-26 18:28:20
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Mighty rings do stack w/ one another.

So you can wear two Mighty rings and get Attack+10 In total and they count as separate buffs?

Thats....... Awesome, and i never knew it.

Theres someone on Asura (Manalol) that always sells these for really cheap (49/50 Charges and she cuts the price to sell em). I always would buy 1 when i went past here thinking they didn't stack.

Now i know D:
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [38 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-04-05 17:11:04
Link | Citer | R

I'm gonna bump this up to ask a small question :P
What would be better for a PDT set, NQ darksteel cap or twilight helm?
I'm gonna guess twilight helm, but I'm not sure about how much 20ish defence is gonna do vs -1% PDT.