New Games Suck... Or Is It Just Me?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » New games suck... or is it just me?
New games suck... or is it just me?
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 20 21 22
By Drayco 2024-09-11 11:49:28
Link | Citer | R

I don't think you know what that word means.
 Asura.Iamaman
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-09-11 11:50:50
Link | Citer | R

Afania said: »
Asura.Iamaman said: »
I'm personally deeply offended by the lack of dad-bod bearded gingers in video games these days.

If you make a game featuring dad-bod beared gingers, I'll support you.

Creativity ftw.

Sunscreen Simulator 2024
[+]
By Afania 2024-09-11 11:54:43
Link | Citer | R

Drayco said: »
I have never met a single man who thinks Alien would be better if Ripley was a guy because they can't relate.

Alien is a movie not a game. It is probably easier to be more "detached" from a story if you are watching a movie. Playing a game is a different deal.

Self-insert capability also isn't 100%, everyone has different degree of self insert capability. Some male have np playing as female, not everyone is the same.

Also I wasn't lying for DEI narrative, I've legit heard multiple male gamers said that on forums.

Several marketing data somewhere that I've read also suggested female gamers are likely to accept male protagonist but the reverse doesn't apply to male gamers.

You have too much politics in your eyes if you think the data are fake because of politics. Don't view everything with a political lens, read information as it is.
By Drayco 2024-09-11 11:57:05
Link | Citer | R

You have too much politics in your eyes if you think the data are fake because of politics. Don't view everything with a political lens, read information as it is.
Believe everything you read... got it.
By Afania 2024-09-11 12:00:09
Link | Citer | R

Drayco said: »
Believe everything you read... got it.

I didn't advocate "believe everything you read", part of the marketing job is to collect and analyze data. You should draw your own conclusion from data.

I said don't immediately assume it's always politics if you see a claim that doesn't support your view.
 Asura.Qibble
user: KibbleK
By Asura.Qibble 2024-09-11 12:05:34
Link | Citer | R

If Alien was released today you would get the same chuds complaining about Ripley being a Mary Sue or whatever lol. They did it 10 years ago when Fury Road came out.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-09-11 12:12:15
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Qibble said: »
If Alien was released today you would get the same chuds complaining about Ripley being a Mary Sue or whatever lol. They did it 10 years ago when Fury Road came out.

If you get to make up your opponent's behavior, it's pretty easy to call them hypocrites.

If there were unique content coming out with strong but balanced female protagonists, maybe we could evaluate your theory. But, instead we get uninspired gender-bent remakes, actual mary-sues like Rey, and a relentless trope that characters of 'oppressed' gender or race must be flawless to avoid unintentional stereotyping or discrimination.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-11 12:20:27
Link | Citer | R

Rips said: »
you should expect to see us in video games.
Metroid is a shitty franchise because the main character is female.
Tomb Raider is a shitty franchise because the main character is female.
Horizon is a shitty franchise because the main character is female, and lesbian.
GTA 4 & 5 are terrible games because the main character is black.
Mario is a shitty franchise because the main character is Italian.

Actually, none of the above statements are true. Those are all very successful franchises, the gender or race are irrelevant.

Nynja likes to play as Peter or Miles like an average dude heroes but I don't want to, I want another character that's closer to me irl in terms of background.
What?
One is white, one is black. I have literally zero in common with Miles Morales:
He's black/puerto rican, I'm Canadian white
He's spiderman, I'm a man
He known sign language, I know the middle finger
He speaks espanol, I speak francais

Don't cancel other people's games and ideology. That's reducing creativity, not the other way around.
You dont seem to understand what "dont cancel other peoples games and ideology" means. Rejecting the product isnt canceling, thats capitalism. If a company puts out a shitty product laced with propaganda and the people refuse to spend their money on it, thats their business. Sony canceled Concord because no one bought the game.
We went over this.
Companies can spend their money however they want. The consumers can choose to spend their money on that product if they want. They have no obligation to buy a shitty product they wont like.
[+]
By Afania 2024-09-11 12:23:45
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Those are all very successful franchises, the gender or race are irrelevant.

In other words, Star war outlaw having Kay Vess doesn't matter, it is ubisoft gameplay that ruined the game, not manly woman.

What?
One is white, one is black. I have literally zero in common with Miles Morales:
He's black/puerto rican, I'm Canadian white
He's spiderman, I'm a man
He known sign language, I know the middle finger
He speaks espanol, I speak francais

But you like them right?

Rejecting the product isnt canceling, thats capitalism.

You aren't rejecting a product because the product is bad though, you are rejecting a product because "EGS fund/Blackrock" "SBI" "Kay Vess has manly face features".

Honestly, if you just type "I am not buying this product because game design/story is boring to me" then we won't even need to have discussion like this at all. I'll agree with you that boring products shouldn't be bought.

But you started a conversation complaining Kay's face that's how your point became much harder to agree with.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-11 12:24:40
Link | Citer | R

Hey
Hey remember when the SBI idiots mixed up Puerto Rico and Cuba??

good times.
 Asura.Qibble
By Asura.Qibble 2024-09-11 12:25:15
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Thorny said: »

If you get to make up your opponent's behavior, it's pretty easy to call them hypocrites.

If there were unique content coming out with strong but balanced female protagonists, maybe we could evaluate your theory. But, instead we get uninspired gender-bent remakes, actual mary-sues like Rey, and a relentless trope that characters of 'oppressed' gender or race must be flawless to avoid unintentional stereotyping or discrimination.

Furiosa came out earlier this year and people were saying it was too woke and that's why it flopped.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-11 12:28:35
Link | Citer | R

You should draw your own conclusion from data.
I did
I presented data showing that western game companies are incapable of making good looking female characters but have no problem making good looking male characters. This was blamed on "technical issues and limitations". Somehow eastern companies are not running into these "technical issues and limitations" that western companies are.

You called me a conspiracy theorist over it.
By Afania 2024-09-11 12:30:38
Link | Citer | R

You should draw your own conclusion from data.
I did
I presented data showing that western game companies are incapable of making good looking female characters but have no problem making good looking male characters. This was blamed on "technical issues and limitations". Somehow eastern companies are not running into these "technical issues and limitations" that western companies are.

You called me a conspiracy theorist over it.

I didn't call you a conspiracy theorist over technical issues at all, I said nothing about technical issues. Why do you put words in my mouth?

I only said Western art direction are different from Asia.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-11 12:30:48
Link | Citer | R

Furiosa came out earlier this year and people were saying it was too woke and that's why it flopped.
https://www.metacritic.com/movie/furiosa-a-mad-max-saga/
79 meta score
7.3 user score

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/furiosa_a_mad_max_saga
90% tomatometer
89% popcornmeter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-09-11 12:30:53
Link | Citer | R

I didn't watch it (not because I assumed it was woke, because I didn't watch any of the franchise and it didn't catch my attention). I can't fairly comment on it.

I'm not really sure what could be taken from this comment even if I had, if it is objective truth that it flopped then perhaps it being woke did play into it? Are you arguing that it was objectively as good compared to the competition as Alien was, and it's the social environment that caused it to fail? That's an awfully tough case to make if so, there are an immense number of components to what makes a film good.

Are you arguing that because a couple streamers blamed it being woke that all 'chuds', however you define that, feel the same? I'm sure you can find at least one or two people willing to call anything woke, but that doesn't make it a wider trend.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-11 12:38:24
Link | Citer | R

I didn't call you a conspiracy theorist over technical issues at all, I said nothing about technical issues. Why do you put words in my mouth?

I only said Western art direction are different from Asia.

Hmm?
The second part is conspiracy theory though.
My bad, you called Thorny a conspiracy theorist when he mentioned that western devs are being told to make women in games ugly.

However, Thorny was following up on what I had just posted after showing evidence of western devs being unable to make female characters look normal, so that comment was targeted at me as well.

So no, I'm not putting any words in your mouth. Of course, you probably dont see the correlation, because you somehow think a lead video game developer saying "those weirdos wont have any games at all" wasnt targeted at the millions of gamers who didnt buy Concord.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-11 12:41:47
Link | Citer | R

Jenna Ortega ruffled some feathers on this very topic, and she's right.

Stop gender swapping every established IP.

inb4 someone says: "ur just mad because ur not being represented as a male anymore."

No dipshit, its *** unoriginal and lazy.
By Afania 2024-09-11 12:42:38
Link | Citer | R

My bad, you called Thorny a conspiracy theorist when he mentioned that western devs are being told to make women in games ugly.

Yeah, I see no evidence. Western artists have been making ugly female and male characters (using Asian kpop/anime as standard) since forever. So I believe Western artists make ugly characters because it's an art style that they like, not necessarily political.

This is based on long time observation of Western media art style.

I am also not involved in Western woke v.s anti woke political war because I don't vote in the west. So if you want convince me, you need a stronger evidence.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-11 12:43:35
Link | Citer | R

I see no evidence.
Dis u:
By Afania 2024-09-11 12:46:30
Link | Citer | R

I see no evidence.
Dis u:

If one day Western artists all make male characters kpop BTS face but leave females face like Kay then Ill believe that they uglify females lol.

You can't complain about ugly female if you don't judge male characters using the same kpop standard.
 Asura.Qibble
By Asura.Qibble 2024-09-11 12:49:25
Link | Citer | R

I didn't watch it (not because I assumed it was woke, because I didn't watch any of the franchise and it didn't catch my attention). I can't fairly comment on it.

I'm not really sure what could be taken from this comment even if I had, if it is objective truth that it flopped then perhaps it being woke did play into it? Are you arguing that it was objectively as good compared to the competition as Alien was, and it's the social environment that caused it to fail? That's an awfully tough case to make if so, there are an immense number of components to what makes a film good.

Are you arguing that because a couple streamers blamed it being woke that all 'chuds', however you define that, feel the same? I'm sure you can find at least one or two people willing to call anything woke, but that doesn't make it a wider trend.

This is a lot of words to say you don't understand why a movie whose themes are largely about motherhood and sexual violence would be seen as woke today.
By Afania 2024-09-11 12:52:34
Link | Citer | R

because you somehow think a lead video game developer saying "those weirdos wont have any games at all" wasnt targeted at the millions of not-customers who didnt buy Concord.

Except this is FALSE? I made it clear that she targeted Concord haters who didn't buy Concord.

Stop changing what I said. I literally said the same thing as you did. The only difference being you believe you(and other Concord haters) are customers, I believe you are not.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-09-11 12:52:36
Link | Citer | R

This is a lot of words to say you don't understand why a movie whose themes are largely about motherhood and sexual violence would be seen as woke today.

If you have difficulty reading, you can stick to the first sentence. How would I be able to understand if I didn't see the movie and am not familiar with the franchise? You're not really making any coherent point.
 Asura.Qibble
By Asura.Qibble 2024-09-11 12:53:05
Link | Citer | R

If you have difficulty reading, you can stick to the first sentence. How would I be able to understand if I didn't see the movie and am not familiar with the franchise? You're not really making any coherent point.

Talking about Alien here
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-11 12:58:03
Link | Citer | R

Talking about Alien here

lol

I know theres mention of Alien in the midpoint, but I'm pretty sure the movie about motherhood and sexual violence is Furiosa.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-09-11 12:59:08
Link | Citer | R

You're still inserting a strawman here. Using a specific theme does not make something woke. There is nobody here saying Alien would be woke in 2024, except you. Many of the same people calling current movies woke explicitly cite Alien/Ripley as an example of a strong female protagonist that wasn't made solely to pander to an audience.

Ripley had faults and failures, she grew as a character throughout the series. She made decisions that didn't pan out, and worked from there. Her past experiences lead her to exhibit symptoms of PTSD in the later movies. She is a balanced character that the viewer can feel exists within the story.

If you want to illustrate that the woke mob would have cancelled Alien in 2024, I would like to see an example of a comparable movie of comparable quality that was attacked for being woke. I do not think that Furiosa reaches that bar, because it outright flopped. If it were a quality movie, it would have done well enough with the left wing crowd to still produce a profit.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-11 13:16:57
Link | Citer | R

If one day Western artists all make male characters kpop BTS face but leave females face like Kay then Ill believe that they uglify females lol.

You can't complain about ugly female if you don't judge male characters using the same kpop standard.
I'm judging the male characters faces vs the female characters faces, nothing more.

Once again, even the left leaning gamer publications had to come out and do damage control for how *** up Kay Vess looks, and tried to pin it on "technical issues and limitations". This would be a believable excuse if those same devs had similar technical issues or limitations on male faces, and eastern devs had also had technical issues or limitations on female faces.

You cant pin that ***on "eastern people value beauty, so they put more effort into it". You're pretty much saying western devs with a NINE DIGIT budget (thats a value over 100 million dollars, and granted not all of it goes to development) are lazy.
By Afania 2024-09-11 13:24:51
Link | Citer | R

Once again, even the left leaning gamer publications had to come out and do damage control for how *** up Kay Vess looks, and tried to pin it on "technical issues and limitations".

You need to stop mentioning technical issues articles and over. I didn't say anything about technical issues, someone else did. You should rant at them instead of me.

I don't care about what other articles said, it's not my business.

You're pretty much saying western devs with a NINE DIGIT budget (thats a value over 100 million dollars, and granted not all of it goes to development) are lazy.

I think Western character designs value realism over kpop beauty. That does not make them lazy or bad, it's just a choice or different art style.

Drawing a character looking mid(by kpop standard) because that character is designed to be mid in the story is not lazy.

Don't put words in my mouth, it's honestly tiring that many posts that you made twisted my words into something else, then I had to clarify it.
By Afania 2024-09-11 13:38:46
Link | Citer | R

I'm judging the male characters faces vs the female characters faces, nothing more.

I am also judging male characters faces v.s female characters. I think male characters in your reference aren't hot(I prefer BTS face for males) but Kay is hot(I prefer manly looking woman). So SW outlaw character is fine to me because it's not worse than other males in Western games.

You have your preference and I have mine. So if you make a political argument using your own beauty standard as an evidence it's not gonna convince me. End of discussion.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-11 14:02:42
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
I prefer manly looking woman

Congrats
Youre the modern audience
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 20 21 22