DRK/SAM Is Trash - A Safe Place For Unpopular Opinions From The Ffxiah Mob!

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » DRK/SAM is trash - A safe place for unpopular opinions from the ffxiah mob!
DRK/SAM is trash - A safe place for unpopular opinions from the ffxiah mob!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Cerberus.Kylos
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-11-16 13:47:36
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Other than building hate by doing damage, IDK what you guys mean by "building hate" on DRK.
CE values:
Stun: 180
Last Resort: 0
Souleater: 0
Weapon Bash: 0
Poisonga: 1

Keep in mind that you also lose hate based on damage taken, another reason why PLD and RUN are able to hold hate well. If you're taking 1000+ damage per hit, it doesn't matter if you are able to get your HP back through cure bombs, Apoc, or Foenaria, you're still losing mass amounts more hate than a tank job would. You also don't have gear which improves enmity retention while taking damage, which PLD and RUN both have.

You can still hold hate off other DD by doing damage, you can solve this with other abilities/spells/songs, but just looking at the DRK kit itself, you're not going to be building any hate with JA and spells.

You could rotate through these JA and try to maintain hate by spiking above the other DD with a JA, but it's nothing like RUN/BLU, PLD/RUN, PLD/BLU.

It really is dependent on the content. If you're talking about a 3 minute ambu with 3 enemies, it will be very different to a 2 hour long dynamis with a pull every 30 seconds where you need to hold multiple mobs. Holding hate on 1-5 packs of Sheol mobs is out of the question.

You're forgetting that DRK has a pretty sweet enmity set coupled with the full range of Absorb spells.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-16 13:50:13
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Other than building hate by doing damage, IDK what you guys mean by "building hate" on DRK.
CE values:

Keep in mind that you also lose hate based on damage taken, another reason why PLD and RUN are able to hold hate well. If you're taking 1000+ damage per hit, it doesn't matter if you are able to get your HP back through cure bombs, Apoc, or Foenaria, you're still losing mass amounts more hate than a tank job would. You also don't have gear which improves enmity retention while taking damage, which PLD and RUN both have.

You can still hold hate off other DD by doing damage, you can solve this with other abilities/spells/songs, but just looking at the DRK kit itself, you're not going to be building any hate with JA and spells.

You could rotate through these JA and try to maintain hate by spiking above the other DD with a JA, but it's nothing like RUN/BLU, PLD/RUN, PLD/BLU.

It really is dependent on the content. If you're talking about a 3 minute ambu with 3 enemies, it will be very different to a 2 hour long dynamis with a pull every 30 seconds where you need to hold multiple mobs. Holding hate on 1-5 packs of Sheol mobs is out of the question.

You're forgetting that DRK has a pretty sweet enmity set coupled with the full range of Absorb spells.

Sure, same principle applies though, CE value of Absorb spell: 1
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-11-16 13:55:52
Link | Citer | R

I don't think anybody is touting DRK as having the greatest arsenal of hate moves in the game. It can build hate, but it obviously isn't doing it as well as PLD or RUN. That shouldn't need to be stated. However, DRK does have "some" tools to help it build hate outside of doing damage. While it is nowhere near the level of what actual tanks have, it is something that it can do, albeit not as well as proper tanks, which again, nobody was saying otherwise.

Edit: Also, I think you are focusing too hard on the CE values of each spell/JA, and not VE. DRK can easily get a ton of CE from damage, while using VE to spike hate when it makes sense.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Splendid
Serveur: Asura
user: BlindLis
By Asura.Splendid 2023-11-16 15:00:17
Link | Citer | R

*shifts gears* we’ve done 8 boss Sortie runs with a PUP tank instead of a RUN.

RUN definitely has its upsides but PUP ain’t too shabby for Sortie especially if you’re running with exceptional mages.

Edit: I guess this is a DRK thread. Go Bruins?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-11-16 15:09:38
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Splendid said: »
Go Bruins?
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-11-16 15:54:18
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Splendid said: »
*shifts gears* we’ve done 8 boss Sortie runs with a PUP tank instead of a RUN.

RUN definitely has its upsides but PUP ain’t too shabby for Sortie especially if you’re running with exceptional mages.

Edit: I guess this is a DRK thread. Go Bruins?

Well, it is called "DRK/SAM is trash", lol.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-16 16:31:06
Link | Citer | R

Nah fam, the only real way to play DRK is /WAR, scream realy load while you pop Berserk, Last Resort, and Soul Eater all at once.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2023-11-16 20:38:22
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
CE values:

Sure, same principle applies though, CE value of Absorb spell: 1

While true for most, Absorb-TP is 320/320.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tristonx
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Tristonx
By Ragnarok.Tristonx 2023-11-22 22:47:40
Link | Citer | R

As someone who hasn't played since they added anything beyond wave 3 dynamis I thought this was a troll post at first. Looking into it more though it seems legit. Are things back to the /war days, or /drg for now?

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-22 23:42:43
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Tristonx said: »
As someone who hasn't played since they added anything beyond wave 3 dynamis I thought this was a troll post at first. Looking into it more though it seems legit. Are things back to the /war days, or /drg for now?

Nope /SAM due to 20 Store TP, I mean I can see /WAR if your way under attack cap and the fight is short, but those are two contradicting situations. /DRG ... maybe, like if it's a super short fight but I think more Store TP lets you WS at higher TP values. DRK's WS's scale very nicely with TP.

Post deleted by User.
By Taint 2023-11-23 07:31:39
Link | Citer | R

Sortie I use /DRG. LR is up for every fight and hate control makes basement bosses easier.

20stp vs jumps and wsdmg boost.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-23 09:41:42
Link | Citer | R

Taint said: »
Sortie I use /DRG. LR is up for every fight and hate control makes basement bosses easier.

Hmm you run with a tank for melee method? We use WAR + DRK and both end up "tanking".
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2023-11-23 10:52:20
Link | Citer | R

If it's a group that is also doing hard mode aminon, they have a pld.
By Taint 2023-11-23 11:32:05
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »

Hmm you run with a tank for melee method? We use WAR + DRK and both end up "tanking".

WAR tanks. Makes fetter movements easier and sometimes we end up kiting F he starts with thunder hands and swaps to wind.
By Felgarr 2023-11-23 11:42:01
Link | Citer | R

Honestly, wouldn't the subjobs of WAR and DRK in the same party, be more dependant on their respective roles? If the DRK is /DRG, why would the WAR also go /DRG instead of /SAM?
By Taint 2023-11-23 11:51:21
Link | Citer | R

Yeah WAR/SAM and DRK/DRG is the best combo we’ve found. We consistently do 8/8 without a firm Static.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-23 15:47:27
Link | Citer | R

WAR tanks. Makes fetter movements easier and sometimes we end up kiting F he starts with thunder hands and swaps to wind.

Hmm, well I do end up "Tanking" most of the time on WAR, and usually do the fetter dance. The only one that occasionally gives grief is F, thunder hands stunga spam is really annoying but better then getting buffs dispelled. You guys just kite it and have the DRK WS's while chasing?
By Taint 2023-11-23 17:45:41
Link | Citer | R

Hmm, well I do end up "Tanking" most of the time on WAR, and usually do the fetter dance. The only one that occasionally gives grief is F, thunder hands stunga spam is really annoying but better then getting buffs dispelled. You guys just kite it and have the DRK WS's while chasing?

If it’s Wind we asylum Zerg. If it’s slow after asylum we kite but most of the time he dies in 30-35 seconds.

Thunder we Zerg but it’s slower due to stunga. When he swaps to wind I super jump while war runs away and I finish him off. If the person with hate is at 20+ he doesn’t steal buffs.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-23 19:04:45
Link | Citer | R

If it’s Wind we asylum Zerg. If it’s slow after asylum we kite but most of the time he dies in 30-35 seconds.

Thunder we Zerg but it’s slower due to stunga. When he swaps to wind I super jump while war runs away and I finish him off. If the person with hate is at 20+ he doesn’t steal buffs.

We were burning Asylum on the H boss but I think it might be better to save it for F.
By Taint 2023-11-23 20:01:34
Link | Citer | R

We do D - H use asylum and it’s back up for F which we do last.

We are going to start skipping asylum on H as well in order to fit in other things at the end.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-23 22:36:14
Link | Citer | R

We do D - H use asylum and it’s back up for F which we do last.

We are going to start skipping asylum on H as well in order to fit in other things at the end.

Ah, well if all goes according to plan, we have enough time at the end to do F Nakul's, so Asylum normally isn't up yet. I'm liking the kiting idea on wind hands, F just feels kinda random with how it'll go smooth and be a *bleep*show.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Nariont 2023-12-01 07:25:12
Link | Citer | R

Thats the case for many relics tbh. Theyre not the best but theyre okay and the sc option could push them if applicable.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-12-01 07:58:08
Link | Citer | R

I enjoy my Ragnarok on WAR.

With retaliations, you get TP faster than SAM. I like to do Reso > Ground strike > Distortion > Scourge > Fusion > Reso > Light > Scourge > Light.

You could do similar with Torcleaver access, popping it into where Ground Strike is and the second Scourge as well. But my DRK is kinda not geared well/I don't play it well, so I rarely can multi-step on it like that.

WTB War being able to use Caladbolg/Torcleaver Q.Q
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-12-01 09:51:28
Link | Citer | R

Yeah Rag has been underpowered on WAR for awhile now, Helheim on the other hand is awesome. Scourge is better then it used to be, but Chango just does the whole multi-step thing better.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-12-01 10:01:27
Link | Citer | R

Take me on an Aeonic run and get me a Chango then Mr. Saevel Q.Q