A Rogue’s Guide To The Precious: A New Thief Guide

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » A Rogue’s Guide to the Precious: A New Thief Guide
A Rogue’s Guide to the Precious: A New Thief Guide
First Page 2 3
 Phoenix.Sevrina
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Sevrina
By Phoenix.Sevrina 2020-02-28 00:09:53
Link | Citer | R

Node 393
[+]
By Ozaii 2020-02-28 00:21:16
Link | Citer | R

This looks fantastic dude! Very fresh and the artwork is lovely!
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
Serveur: Asura
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-02-28 00:21:23
Link | Citer | R

I believe Thief only get the Dual Wield IV job trait via the JP Gift and yet here you have it listed at DW 5. You have it correctly listed in the Trait section, however. Could you change those two 5s for 4s and that will make it right-as-rain?

For those that come here looking (including the future version of myself that will check this when I forget), with Dual Wield 3 (no JP gift) you need 11 Dual wield from gear (if maxed equipment haste and magic haste effects) and 6 dual wield from gear at dual wield 4 with the JP gift (if maxed equipment haste and magic haste effects). Any dual wield over these values will decrease your TP return.

Will edit this out (or correct it if my math is off) once this is fixed in the guide. I'll put a thief-related meme here or something.
[+]
By Boshi 2020-02-28 00:45:49
Link | Citer | R

This is not good.

Lack of understanding of SA and TA function.
Crit hit dmg

Mug sets fastcast waltz mercy ect i posted a bunch of times in main thf topic not much has changed.

Ws sets are not good
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Community_Thief_Guide
Still holds up adjusting for brand new gear and barrinf DM wsd augs on body/feet.
(New gear being belt and ammo)

Assassin’s charge is dogshit.
Was only ever decent for mercy stroke back in prime mandau days.
Understand hit limit of evis. Not worth time to use ja anymore

Feint 5/5, ambush 5/5. Aura steal is for specialty solo situations.
Understand ambush 5/5 gives major bonus to relic body.

Back to old thread.
Pretty decent art design organization.

____

With jo for above best option is new belt then kirin belt for dw max haste. I have a breakdown of haste needed ideal slot for every 1% if you’d like
[+]
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2020-02-28 00:58:45
Link | Citer | R

Boshi said: »
This is not good.

Crit hit dmg

Mug sets fastcast waltz mercy ect i posted a bunch of times in main thf topic not much has changed.

Ws sets are not good
Still holds up adjusting for brand new gear and barrinf DM wsd augs on body/feet.

Back to old thread.

____

With jo for above best option is new belt then kirin belt for dw max haste. I have a breakdown of haste needed ideal slot for every 1% if you’d like
you should make a guide or provide real feedback?
[+]
By Boshi 2020-02-28 01:00:44
Link | Citer | R

Been posting sets on the main thf topic for years.

Despite not being polite, i did provide feedback of where to look to solve each issue.
[+]
 Asura.Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2020-02-28 01:05:40
Link | Citer | R

offer your help then with so much posting you do? Calling his hard work ***etc is not going to do much, at least he is trying. The Thf guide is vastly outdated and no new player, which is what guides are for, is going to go read last 200 pages on some outdated job form.

look what Aeonova posted, thats helpful.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-02-28 01:12:14
Link | Citer | R

Re: subjob section:

Definitely needs /DRG, honestly my go-to subjob since the late 2019 DRG update adding WSD+7% (on all hits of every WS), which should generally outperform WAR's DA+5%10%. High Jump is nice too for shedding some hate. /WAR is really only ever better DPS-wise if you are uncapped attack AND willing to take the defensive hit from using Berserk (I'm usually not willing to do that, especially not on any content that "matters")

/DNC should also mention the nice offensive perk of Skillchain Bonus +8%.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-02-28 01:12:33
Link | Citer | R

I have a breakdown of haste needed ideal slot for every 1% if you’d like

I may take you up on that via private message or on here (or the other THF thread) at a later date as I'm always concerned about my DW/gearhaste/magic/haste/TPreturn and am not really super keen with the math. However, tonight, it's 1:18 AM and I'm a sleepy *** that is trying to grind out Domain Invasion points before bed. =P

Asura.Azagarth said: »
[+]
 Asura.Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2020-02-28 01:16:19
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Aeonova said: »
Must be the most unhelpful person every ~.^
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-02-28 01:19:14
Link | Citer | R

Calling his hard work ***

Is he edited his post? I dont see anyone calling his work ***, only "not good". There is big gap between "***" and "not good".
 Ramuh.Austar
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-02-28 01:26:56
Link | Citer | R

going to agree with this not being good. telling people to make their own if they don't like it is silly.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-02-28 02:13:28
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
DRG update adding WSD+7% (on all hits of every WS), which should generally outperform WAR's DA+5%.
10% DA.

But yeah I agree /DRG is quite nice. In general I think it's a better DPS option than /WAR for THF.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ringoko
Serveur: Bismarck
user: appleboy
By Bismarck.Ringoko 2020-02-28 02:20:31
Link | Citer | R

Been posting sets on the main thf topic for years.

Despite not being polite, i did provide feedback of where to look to solve each issue.

Just because you were direct does not mean you were impolite.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-02-28 03:01:40
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
DRG update adding WSD+7% (on all hits of every WS), which should generally outperform WAR's DA+5%.
10% DA.

But yeah I agree /DRG is quite nice. In general I think it's a better DPS option than /WAR for THF.

Fixed, ty for catching my mistake. Even though I know better, for some reason my mind was just telling me /WAR is like a BRUTAL EARRING but for your SUBJOB.

But yeah, DA loses a lot of luster compared to olden times thanks to all the TA we stack now. Plus the bigger impact from /DRG on those already large WS numbers.

I'm generally always defaulting to THF/DRG these days and I pretty much only change that if I need a niche subjob for a specific use case - and that's not terribly often. /NIN if shadows are vital for a particular fight, /RUN for defense against a specific element, /DNC if there's some reason I really need a subjob dance (most often, Healing Waltz to erase a trust). I don't really use much THF/WAR any more.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-02-28 03:23:23
Link | Citer | R

The only subjob I have on THF lately is /BLM sadly, but that's an entirely different story I'm afraid ahahahaha
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-02-28 03:58:15
Link | Citer | R

Those weaponskill sets are all wrong, what is this nonsense. Where on earth did you pull these gearsets from. You got a Ginsen as ws ammo. Ramuh and Ifrit rings? is this 2014?

Windbuffet belt for evisceration. Yetshila for unstacked rudra... focal orb, really.

SA and TA are totally wrong, who taught you how to THF?

Holy ***man. No. Just no. All the no.
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
Serveur: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-02-28 05:33:51
Link | Citer | R

EDIT: Sent ya a PM OP.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-02-28 05:40:53
Link | Citer | R

Why don't you guys all cooperate together on the same nodes, instead of starting a race on who-can-make-the-best-guide?

No offense meant, I'm just saying that if you guys all cooperate together in a constructive way surely something good is gonna come out for all of us.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-02-28 07:01:00
Link | Citer | R

Why don't you guys all cooperate together on the same nodes, instead of starting a race on who-can-make-the-best-guide?

No offense meant, I'm just saying that if you guys all cooperate together in a constructive way surely something good is gonna come out for all of us.

La Fame!
 Phoenix.Sevrina
By Phoenix.Sevrina 2020-02-28 07:10:53
Link | Citer | R

Good morning!

To answer some of all this!

I would love input and I'll update this guide with suggestions! I planned to keep this more "up-to-date".

This is like a rough draft, none of these gear sets were aimed to be "the best" as stated, and they are surely not "set in stone".

I do enjoy constructive criticism, but no need to be impolite about suggestions either. I want to encourage cooperation in making this a great guide, not have it "trashed" in it's first few hours.

Sub DRG eh? I never knew! That sounds like a lot of fun and I will add that in and try it out some time!

At 550 Job gifts, Thief receives a DW 5%. I thought perhaps I had accidentally hit the wrong number, because I remember when I did that chart I like quadruple checked my numbers :D

With so many resources on the many gear sets out there, my intentions for this guide was to be more of a base that can change through suggestions.

Thank you all and I will work on implementing some changes today and tomorrow!
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-02-28 07:14:30
Link | Citer | R

instead of starting a race on who-can-make-the-best-guide?

No, let the race start and Darwin will determine who is the fittest.
By Pantafernando 2020-02-28 07:18:06
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Sevrina said: »
Good morning!

To answer some of all this!

I would love input and I'll update this guide with suggestions! I planned to keep this more "up-to-date".

This is like a rough draft, none of these gear sets were aimed to be "the best" as stated, and they are surely not "set in stone".

I do enjoy constructive criticism, but no need to be impolite about suggestions either. I want to encourage cooperation in making this a great guide, not have it "trashed" in it's first few hours.

Sub DRG eh? I never knew! That sounds like a lot of fun and I will add that in and try it out some time!

At 550 Job gifts, Thief receives a DW 5%. I thought perhaps I had accidentally hit the wrong number, because I remember when I did that chart I like quadruple checked my numbers :D

With so many resources on the many gear sets out there, my intentions for this guide was to be more of a base that can change through suggestions.

Thank you all and I will work on implementing some changes today and tomorrow!

Yea, man, just keep going.

Despite all rushed criticism, this thread was one of the most productive one created since like 2 weeks maybe. Certainly better than multiban thread and Kappa threads.

One step at a time i guess
 Phoenix.Sevrina
By Phoenix.Sevrina 2020-02-28 22:27:28
Link | Citer | R

This is not good.
I mentioned several times how I'm not perfect, this isn't going to be considered the "best", and that I would keep this updated. Meaning, I am all for input and changing the guide to improve!

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Crit hit dmg
These SA and TA sets I listed are, as I state in the guide, for "upon using the ability". Not for when actually striking the monster. Based on the Thief's amount of DEX(SA) and AGI(TA) upon using the ability will carry over to the DMG output.

A Midcast Set for them would include the Crit Hit DMG equipment. I did not include Midcast Sets at this time.

Ws sets are not good
I know they are not the ideal sets, these were to have a baseline to go from. As you point out, the BG Wiki Guide has equip sets. I could've stolen them, linked them, or make my own. I made my own; and they are by far not even what I currently use, but were based off of high end gears and the weapon skills Modifiers and Descriptions. Am I perfect? No. Did I maybe get a set or two mixed up when I prepared these? Very possible.
I had not included Mug, Fast Cast, Waltz sets at this time, but I have no problems including them in future updates of this guide.

Really no reason to be a bit rude about the Assassin's charge merits. I never like stopping to pop a JA and slow down my swinging! I can understand now the view point of not using Assassin's Charge.

The bonus of 5% Triple Attack is nice as long as you are able to stand behind the mob indefinitely. One ilm to the side, and you lose the bonus.

Back to old thread.
Thank you, I quite enjoyed making this guide and look forward to your return once I've made some more updates to it!

My gear sets for TP were more aimed for a beginner "look I hit level 99!!" I did not think it would realistic to tell them to go fight Kirin, and tried to make the gears more possible to obtain.
I would like to see your breakdown, please send a PM some time, as Thieves have to contend with Multi-strike, DW, Haste values all the time!

Holy ***man. No. Just no. All the no.
I am not a man. But thanks for the input!
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-02-28 22:31:22
Link | Citer | R

There is no "using the ability" for SA and TA. Only the hit after usage.

You can be completely naked on use. Again, who taught you how to THF.

Do you seriously think stacking DEX/AGI at activation and then changing to crit damage works? Cause that's how it looks like you think it works.

Quote:
If this ability is used by a Thief, the next strike will also receive a bonus of 1 base weapon damage for every point of DEX the player has when the attack hits.
Quote:
The AGI-based damage increase for Thief is determined when the hit connects, not when the job ability is used.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-02-28 22:35:54
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Sevrina said: »

I see. You're saying it gets 5% Dual Wield and not the Dual Wield V trait.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sevrina
By Phoenix.Sevrina 2020-02-28 23:02:24
Link | Citer | R

There is no "using the ability" for SA and TA. Only the hit after usage.

You can be completely naked on use. Again, who taught you how to THF.

Do you seriously think stacking DEX/AGI at activation and then changing to crit damage works? Cause that's how it looks like you think it works.

After reading this and re-researching again, I cannot find where I had read about needing to have the pieces equipped upon activation of the JA. Thank you for the input, but was not necessary to be mean about it. It is possible that maybe it was a "back in the day" post and it was believed that they needed to wear upon activation and since then, it had been proven a wrong theory.
I will be working on this guide tomorrow and will redo those sets. I had changed them from what I actually used (including my own sets, ugh now to change them back!!! :( ) when I was compiling this. My previous understanding was that there were no "precast" for them!
 Fenrir.Melphina
Serveur: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-02-28 23:07:36
Link | Citer | R

Why would you even use sneak or trick attack without a weaponskill in this current day and age anyway, unless of course you're trying to proc a treasure hunter increase? If that's the case though, it would be correct to wear your treasure hunter equipment. The sets provided are clearly max damage full dex/attack or agi/attack sets, and those haven't been relevant since the end of the level 75 era. With rudra's storm at our disposal using sneak or trick attack WITHOUT combining a weaponskill to critical with is a total and utter waste of the ability timer.
 Phoenix.Sevrina
By Phoenix.Sevrina 2020-02-28 23:12:20
Link | Citer | R

Aha! Found the place where it was located, was the old guide! In the node under the Equipment for SA/TA

https://www.ffxiah.com/node/155

Quote:
Critical hit damage bonus gear does very well, but (see below)
Quote:
Stack DEX for SA, AGI for TA. STR for both.
Stack attack for both unless you're going to go over the attack cap.
First Page 2 3