Random Politics & Religion #28: The Last One

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #28: The Last One
Random Politics & Religion #28: The Last One
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 98 99 100
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-04 08:08:50
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
The unhealthy attitude towards firearms is the difference Ruaumoko; It's plausible in other parts of the world in the last few hundred years where other hostile land-locked or seafaring nations invading was a genuine risk.

but times have changed and the attitude failed to evolve with the times, so we are left with a society with a mindset that engenders this behavior far more often than practical.
And it's that type of thinking that gets people fired from their jobs for wishing harm towards others when events like this occur.

Just ask Hayley Geftman-Gold.
By Ramyrez 2017-10-04 08:14:09
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Shiva.Shruiken said: »
Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
No amount of laws would of stopped this.

Since no one else has posted in 9+ hours I'll be the first to disagree with you here.
Let me ask you this then: What sort of laws would a criminal follow?

Just to clarify here. I do not disagree with you per se. I don't think there are simple solutions to this issue. But I would pose this question:

Should we not then lighten up alllaws, penalties, and restrictions -- not just on guns, but on everything -- since people are just going to keep doing them anyhow?
By fonewear 2017-10-04 08:15:22
Link | Citer | R

You show me a gun law that actually works I'll support it.
By fonewear 2017-10-04 08:16:48
Link | Citer | R

I have very little faith in any gun law that will prevent crime.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2017-10-04 08:32:40
Link | Citer | R

Las Vegas shooter was a 'reclusive weirdo' who kept his guns stashed in a refrigerator-sized SAFE and vanished suddenly in August, say his former neighbors at his Reno home

Sounds likes a member of FFXIAH...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4947082/Las-Vegas-shooter-kept-guns-refrigerator-sized-safe.html#ixzz4uXuoYsB6
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-04 08:41:55
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
No amount of laws would of stopped this.

Since no one else has posted in 9+ hours I'll be the first to disagree with you here.
Let me ask you this then: What sort of laws would a criminal follow?

Just to clarify here. I do not disagree with you per se. I don't think there are simple solutions to this issue. But I would pose this question:

Should we not then lighten up all laws, penalties, and restrictions -- not just on guns, but on everything -- since people are just going to keep doing them anyhow?
No. Actually, I think we should tighten them up a little more. Make it even more of a punishment to break such laws.

Now, it's not going to stop certain acts from occurring (especially in this case, since the guy was planning on taking his own life anyway). It will, however, deter people from committing crimes if they get more than a slap on the wrist, in some cases.

Tbh, I think that smaller crimes (theft under $500, for example) should be punished by a fine 10 times the value of the theft itself, and, most especially crimes involving fraud, should be punished with 20 times the value of the fraud, and lose the ability to file for bankruptcy due to this.

But that's just me.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-04 08:48:36
Link | Citer | R

You could not be any further from the truth. That mindset wishes harm on no one, even during a situation like this (in the theoretical situation that they are recovered).

That mindset just desperately wants more respect for all parties involved; Respecting the victims, respecting the tools that were used for such an unspeakable action so the mindset towards firearms does not skeet even further into unhealthy territory and respecting the society stuck dealing with this tragedy.
Look, I took from your above quoted post that those who own guns get what's deserving of them. If that's not your intent, then I'm sorry that I misinterpreted it.

Our culture involves the recreational use of guns. If you go by certain websites and liberal activists, you would think that there's mass shootings in the scale of Las Vegas happening every day in this country.

It certainly is not true.

Yes, there are crazies out there who will use a gun to solve their problems (marital, work, or just the general grievance of society), but taking away the tool doesn't mean that they will not do it anymore. Just ask the guy who rammed his airplane in the Austin IRS building (while a hero to some, especially since he was flying with 3 years of amended tax returns that he had to amend due to an IRS audit, is still pretty stupid in my eyes).

I think we can lower the number of these type of mass shootings if:

1. We stop glorifying them.
2. We put more effort in mental research and care, especially regards to giving more/better access to mental hospitals.
3. We stop glorifying them, period. I mean, what better way of going out with a bang if people are going to talk about it for years/decades to come?

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2017-10-04 09:15:58
Link | Citer | R

Should we not then lighten up alllaws, penalties, and restrictions -- not just on guns, but on everything -- since people are just going to keep doing them anyhow?

Well.. since it's the exact same people that think the "war on drugs" and all the tougher laws, harsher penalties and longer prison sentences that came along with it...are dumb and futile and pointless.... who are in the next breath asking for tougher laws, harsher penalties and longer prison sentences...in essence a "war on guns"... I feel the need to point out that the crazy *** in vegas willfully broke all of our laws against MURDER, which in vegas is punishable by death by lethal injection

so... we can therefore presume with relative certainty that he would not have been deterred by some dopey limitation or fine on clip size or the type of weapon he could posses EVEN IF IT WAS PUNISHABLE BY DEATH.

let that soak in for a minute.

if the death penalty isn't deterrent enough to stop these *** then what penalty do you imagine would have an effect on them?

public vivisection?
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-10-04 09:18:59
Link | Citer | R

-can get it now with zero THC and no psychoactive properties, purely pain relief so it's legal everywhere
Where's the fun in THAT?
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-10-04 09:28:09
Link | Citer | R

Mass shootings like this don't happen on the scale or regularity in other developed countries. What are we doing wrong?
I hate to correct you...what am I talking about, I love correcting you all the time!
So the entire rest of tha planet has fewer mass shootings than the USA. Your point is?

fonewear said: »
If the Democrats had there way they would ban water pistols. That is how far they would take this.
Guns allowed, water guns banned in the Republican National Convention

Cleveland.com, June 3, 2016
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-04 09:29:38
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
if the death penalty isn't deterrent enough to stop these *** then what penalty do you imagine would have an effect on them?
If caught alive, a lifetime of torture by forcing them to listen to Justin Beiber for the rest of their lives in a padded room could be deterrent enough.

I mean, why else do these people kill themselves before being taken in?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-04 09:32:21
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
So the entire rest of tha planet has fewer mass shootings than the USA. Your point is?
Publicized shootings. If you add up all of the local mass shootings that don't get noticed beyond the border, you would be highly surprised at how little mass shootings happen in the US compared to the rest of the world.

Hell, Syria alone has more mass shootings per year than the US has per decade. There's more murder in the Middle East than in the US.

But I guess you don't like obvious facts if it's detriment to your cause....
By Ramyrez 2017-10-04 09:33:04
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

Well.. since it's the exact same people that think the "war on drugs" and all the tougher laws, harsher penalties and longer prison sentences that came along with it...are dumb and futile and pointless.... who are in the next breath asking for tougher laws, harsher penalties and longer prison sentences...in essence a "war on guns"... I feel the need to point out that the crazy *** in vegas willfully broke all of our laws against MURDER, which in vegas is punishable by death by lethal injection

so... we can therefore presume with relative certainty that he would not have been deterred by some dopey limitation or fine on clip size or the type of weapon he could posses EVEN IF IT WAS PUNISHABLE BY DEATH.

let that soak in for a minute.

public vivisection?
Just to clarify here. I do not disagree with you per se.

I'm not on team "ban all the guns."

I'm on team "lessen punitive punishment for petty criminals and rehab them because punishment as a deterrent doesn't work so hot."
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-10-04 09:34:08
Link | Citer | R

-can get it now with zero THC and no psychoactive properties, purely pain relief so it's legal everywhere
Where's the fun in THAT?
Lol. You were the only one I was shocked didnt jump me for that.
I am rarely here other than early in my morning. So I amn't always timely in my responses.
By Ramyrez 2017-10-04 09:35:23
Link | Citer | R

I have very little faith in any gun law that will prevent crime. in humanity.

Roll the dice. Go to work.

Not being cowed into staying home afraid because there might be a guy with a gun when I go to sporting events, movies, or concerts.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-10-04 09:36:30
Link | Citer | R

Hell, Syria alone has more mass shootings per year than the US has per decade. There's more murder in the Middle East than in the US....
By that standard WWII was the biggest mass shooting of all.
[+]
By Zerowone 2017-10-04 09:39:54
Link | Citer | R

No law is enacted with the premise of preventing crime. The premise is punishment for the crime. Regulations on the other hand are enacted with the premise of prevention.
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-10-04 09:50:34
Link | Citer | R

If only we had an anthropomorphic dog to stop crime....
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-10-04 09:53:22
Link | Citer | R

Thanks. I needed a change of avatar for a bit.

Also, not sure how many people here will get it.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-10-04 09:53:54
Link | Citer | R

Did we ban tall buildings yet ? I mean this guy set the standard for other mass shootings.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-04 09:58:21
Link | Citer | R

Hell, Syria alone has more mass shootings per year than the US has per decade. There's more murder in the Middle East than in the US....
By that standard WWII was the biggest mass shooting of all.
Sure, if you want to go back that far in history, even though the subject is recent history/today.

Thanks. I needed a change of avatar for a bit.

Also, not sure how many people here will get it.
[+]
By Zerowone 2017-10-04 10:05:26
Link | Citer | R

Feels allegorical to the current "debate"
By fonewear 2017-10-04 10:06:41
Link | Citer | R

Well at least you can feel things...I haven't felt anything in 15 years !
[+]
By Zerowone 2017-10-04 10:08:12
Link | Citer | R

Well at least you can feel things...I haven't felt anything in 15 years !

Yea we know... since season 10 of the Simpsons.
By fonewear 2017-10-04 10:09:16
Link | Citer | R

Why you give a ***about this is beyond me. After the thoughts and prayers and call for gun control. We will be back to bashing Trump and bitching and moaning. So might as well get with the program.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 98 99 100