Random Politics & Religion #23 (Fake News)

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #23 (Fake News)
Random Politics & Religion #23 (Fake News)
First Page 2 3 ... 49 50 51 ... 58 59 60
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-18 14:34:22
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Anna Ruthven said: »
Anna Ruthven said: »
This is the liberal's Benghazi.
Perhaps. Perhaps it's deserved.
Probably.

Gives us conservatives some ammo next time a certain mod decides to make fun of Benghazi arguments.

*pew pew*
Who, me?
Well, you got to admit....

*stalker mode off*

Well that was a blast from the past. Makes me wonder what happened to most of the people in that thread. I get annoyed when I look at the last thing people have posted before disappearing and how anticlimactic (and often sudden) it is.

If you're going to post for the last time, go out with a bang, people.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-05-18 14:47:00
Link | Citer | R

I want to know what happened to that poor woman tenshibaby had locked away in his avatar. Unfortunately, i'm sure she's a lampshade by now.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-18 14:47:39
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Somewhere between 15% and 40% of Americans believe our planet is only 10,000 years old, in spite of the literal heaps of evidence that it is far older.
I question this assertion.

Has Newser polled people and asked that question? Or are they basing their numbers based by how many people are identified as Christians?

I'm guessing the later.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2017-05-18 14:49:19
Link | Citer | R

Tenshi isn't banned, they just stopped posting.

I respect him for that.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-05-18 14:57:12
Link | Citer | R

It's an oldish poll http://www.gallup.com/poll/170822/believe-creationist-view-human-origins.aspx

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-18 15:01:25
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Somewhere between 15% and 40% of Americans believe our planet is only 10,000 years old, in spite of the literal heaps of evidence that it is far older.
I question this assertion.

Has Newser polled people and asked that question? Or are they basing their numbers based by how many people are identified as Christians?

I'm guessing the later.

Yeah, if they have 40% as an upper limit on those percentages and a 25% range, that tells me there's something seriously wrong with their estimates and assumptions.

There are far, far easier ways to explain away the science behind the age of the Earth than the insanity that the Young-Earthers employ. Even saying "because God" is a superior argument, because at least then you're appealing to a creationary force that is above human comprehension instead of brute-forcing square pegs into round holes and calling it science. However, their methods hold more water than than the Flat-Earthers' do, sadly enough....
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-18 15:06:02
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for clearing that up. I stand corrected.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-18 15:06:46
Link | Citer | R

If that was the basis for the article's claim, they misread the poll. The creation of humans ~10,000 years ago (in their current form) ≠ the creation of Earth ~10,000 years ago.

Not surprising, though, people in general really, really suck at reading polls.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-18 15:07:56
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for clearing that up. I stand corrected.
To clarify, the question stated humans, while Newser stated earth.

That's a huge difference, unless somebody wants to connect the dots where humans = earth.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-05-18 15:15:14
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

If that was the basis for the article's claim, they misread the poll. The creation of humans ~10,000 years ago (in their current form) ≠ the creation of Earth ~10,000 years ago.

Except when it's creationism. Since the creation of the sun the moon the earth and man are only a couple of days apart in their minds.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-18 15:21:50
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

Except when it's creationism. Since the creation of the sun the moon the earth and man are only a couple of days apart in their minds.

Many religions do not interpret the 6 "days" of creation in a literal time frame. Some do, but the point is that the article's stated % range is invalid. You would need a separate poll to be able to make such a claim.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-18 15:21:59
Link | Citer | R

So, 42% of Americans are creationists?

Is that what somebody is referring?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-05-18 15:31:22
Link | Citer | R

The distinction is kinda pointless. Neither view is less wrong than the other.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-18 15:40:16
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
42% of the people polled say that massaging helps their backs.

<Pleebo> 42% of Americans say that they need a foot rub.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-18 15:42:58
Link | Citer | R

So, 42% of Americans are creationists?

Is that what somebody is referring?

I know I'm about to be nit-picky here, but it's to make a point. "42% of people polled between May 8-11, 2014 believe that God created human being pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 100,000 years or so."

The only thing that can be inferred from the poll is exactly what the question in the poll states, under the assumption that the poll is an accurate snapshot of the intended population and that the questions provide enough nuance to not pigeonhole respondents into categories where they don't belong. Any other reported wording that does not accurately capture the stated question invalidates the statistics.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-18 15:44:49
Link | Citer | R

"My opinion is correct, and there is no chance that I'm wrong. Therefore, any responses that do not match my views 100% are pointless and there is no need for distinction between them."
[+]
By Nausi 2017-05-18 15:48:58
Link | Citer | R

Candlejack said: »
So, it seems Mueller just upgraded the investigation to criminal level and he's also looking into Trump's actions against Comey, Yates, and Bharara, including his tweets about them.
Zomg Drumpf is done take #84626822937!
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-05-18 15:51:04
Link | Citer | R

"My opinion is correct, and there is no chance that I'm wrong. Therefore, any responses that do not match my views 100% are pointless and there is no need for distinction between them."
In this case, yeah pretty much.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-18 15:55:12
Link | Citer | R

Hi Donald, or should we call you President Trump.

By the way, your hubris is showing.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-18 15:58:18
Link | Citer | R

Putting the importance of sociological studies aside, this level of hubris is the antithesis of scientific thought. It will not serve you well in other arguments.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-18 15:59:23
Link | Citer | R

And this is the second time today that King basically said the same thing I did before I posted minutes later. I should refresh my page more often....
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-05-18 16:06:19
Link | Citer | R

Excerpted from Senators: Rosenstein knew Comey would be fired before writing memo

Quote:
Thursday’s all-senators briefing was scheduled earlier this week at the insistence of Democrats, who wanted to question Rosenstein about his role in Comey’s ousting. Senators emerging from the meeting, which took place in a secure room in the Capitol, said Rosenstein made clear he was giving his newly appointed special prosecutor, Robert Mueller, wide leeway to run the FBI’s Russia investigation as he sees fit.

“He said over and over again that Mueller is going to draw the scope of this investigation, that Mueller is going to have the resources, that Mueller is not going to be interfered with by him or the Department of Justice,” Durbin said.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said the briefing made clear to him the FBI’s investigation into Russia’s election meddling had transitioned from being a counterintelligence probe to being a full-fledged criminal probe.

"It was a counterintelligence investigation until now," Graham told reporters. "It seems to me now to be considered a criminal investigation."

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) said Rosenstein pledged to let Mueller take the FBI investigation in any direction — including exploring allegations of obstruction of justice.

"He was very clear that Director Mueller has the latitude to decide where this investigation goes," Murphy said. "He was pressed on that several times. And every single time he reaffirmed that Director Mueller has the ability to bring this investigation wherever it needs to go, including any questions of obstruction of justice." ...
 Sylph.Cherche
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Cherche 2017-05-18 16:10:02
Link | Citer | R

People have been claiming creation, in various different cultures, for thousands of years and still have nothing resembling concrete proof.

The current theories have astounding amounts of proof gathered in only decades and is constantly changing as our understanding of the universe grows.

I don't think it's hubris to think the constantly evolving one is probably going to end up being right.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-18 16:20:49
Link | Citer | R

Chanti, I'm going to have my Super Awesome Road Trip this summer, and if my stalking skills haven't left me, I will be going through your city.

Any recommendations for me, or should I just drive on through with my windows up and pray that those crazy Washingtoners aren't into cannibalism?

/starts hearing banjo music playing in the background...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-18 16:22:09
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Cherche said: »
People have been claiming creation, in various different cultures, for thousands of years and still have nothing resembling concrete proof.
You can't prove religion, just like you can't disprove religion.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-18 16:22:10
Link | Citer | R

Some of you would love to see me critique Trump, so here's your chance.

He really, really needs to knock off the lying and/or misphrasing of the motivations for his actions. He's not a politician at heart, and trying to dance around the truth as if he's an expert at it is seriously coming back to bite him, especially when he more than anyone else is living in "1984". I expect a little bit of exaggeration and bluster consistent with his personality, but when he makes a big decision that is going to be picked apart molecule by molecule, he needs to just come out and say, "This was my decision. [Here's why I did it]. Deal with it." Those that support him appreciate his blunt personality, but they will not tolerate him getting caught in lies forever.

He needs to exercise as much caution as if a live-streaming television camera were in front of him at all times. If he could do that while not losing the personality traits that got him elected, the rabid media would be forced to focus on his personality and agenda, which would only help him with his base.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-05-18 16:23:19
Link | Citer | R

Putting the importance of sociological studies aside, this level of hubris is the antithesis of scientific thought. It will not serve you well in other arguments.
There's no hubris involved in saying creationism or creationism lite are both wrong.
"2+2=9"
"2+2=34"
Both are wrong and a distinction is pretty useless.
First Page 2 3 ... 49 50 51 ... 58 59 60