Random Politics & Religion #19

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #19
Random Politics & Religion #19
First Page 2 3 ... 53 54 55 ... 82 83 84
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-02-16 16:27:44
Link | Citer | R

Quote:

QUESTION
Mr. President, you mentioned Russia. Let's talk about some serious issues that have come up in the last week that you have had to deal with as president of the United States.

DONALD TRUMP
OK.

QUESTION
You mentioned the vessel -- the spy vessel off the coast of the United States.

DONALD TRUMP
Not good.

QUESTION
There was a ballistic missile test that many interpret as a violation of an agreement between the two countries; and a Russian plane buzzed a U.S. destroyer.

DONALD TRUMP
Not good.

QUESTION
I listened to you during the campaign ...

DONALD TRUMP
Excuse me, excuse me. When did it happen? It happened when, if you were Putin right now, you would say, "Hey, we're back to the old games with the United States; there's no way Trump can ever do a deal with us." Because the -- you have to understand. If I was just brutal on Russia right now, just brutal, people would say, you would say, "Oh, isn't that wonderful." But I know you well enough.

Then you would say, "Oh, he was too tough; he shouldn't have done that." Look, all of the...

(CROSSTALK)

QUESTION
I'm just trying to find out your orientation to those...

(CROSSTALK)

DONALD TRUMP
Wait a minute. Wait, wait. Excuse me just one second.

(CROSSTALK)

DONALD TRUMP
All of those things that you mentioned are very recent, because probably Putin assumes that he's not going to be able to make a deal with me because it's politically not popular for me to make a deal. So Hillary Clinton tries a reset. It failed. They all tried. But I'm different than those people.

Go ahead.

QUESTION
How are you interpreting those moves? And what do you intend to do about them? Have you given Rex Tillerson any advice or counsel on how to deal?

DONALD TRUMP
I have. I have. And I'm so beautifully represented. I'm so honored that the Senate approved him. He's going to be fantastic.

Yes, I think that I've already...

QUESTION
Is Putin testing you, do you believe, sir?

DONALD TRUMP
No, I don't think so. I think Putin probably assumes that he can't make a deal with me anymore because politically it would be unpopular for a politician to make a deal. I can't believe I'm saying I'm a politician, but I guess that's what I am now.

Because, look, it would be much easier for me to be tough on Russia, but then we're not going to make a deal.

Now, I don't know that we're going to make a deal. I don't know. We might. We might not. But it would be much easier for me to be so tough -- the tougher I am on Russia, the better. But you know what? I want to do the right thing for the American people. And to be honest, secondarily, I want to do the right thing for the world.

If Russia and the United States actually got together and got along -- and don't forget, we're a very powerful nuclear country and so are they. There's no upside. We're a very powerful nuclear country and so are they. I have been briefed. And I can tell you one thing about a briefing that we're allowed to say because anybody that ever read the most basic book can say it, nuclear holocaust would be like no other.

They're a very powerful nuclear country and so are we. If we have a good relationship with Russia, believe me, that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

QUESTION
So when you say they're not good, do you mean that they are...

DONALD TRUMP
Who did I say is not good?

You can't script this stuff. Literally a full circle piece of comedic gold.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-02-16 16:34:21
Link | Citer | R

I didn't say it was ok
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-16 16:37:23
Link | Citer | R

It's amazing how polarizing this conference has been. Pretty much like any debate, the "winner" is predetermined by partisan alignment. The media might be doing a disservice to themselves by overplaying it, though, because this is precisely the persona of Trump that drove people to the polls on election day and there's no way to spin this that will drive away his base, which is by far their biggest obstacle leading into 2020.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-02-16 16:39:32
Link | Citer | R

Construct coherent thoughts, bad or good. It's not much to ask.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-02-16 16:42:06
Link | Citer | R

We know his supporters will consume whatever drivel seeps out of his face hole. It would still be nice if he could answer a question with a complete thought minus the constant self-interjections and hyperbole.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-16 16:50:59
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
We know his supporters will consume whatever drivel seeps out of his face hole. It would still be nice if he could answer a question with a complete thought minus the constant self-interjections and hyperbole.
You are right, he is being defensive about this whole shitfest.

But you need to remember, there is a bigger story about this than Flynn. It's about that "anonymous tipster" who allegedly released classified information to the media.

They got what they wanted (Flynn resigned), but at what cost? We already know that the leftovers of Obama's admin cannot be trusted, so should we fire the entire administration and start fresh, or make examples of the few bad players?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-16 16:53:13
Link | Citer | R

I'd be interested to see how well the people in here would handle being the subject of an hour long, hostile press conference. I'd also be interested in seeing how well Obama would have done if he wasn't lobbed softballs for eight years.

I'm not saying Trump couldn't have answered the questions better, because he could have. But, as usual, I strongly think the over-coverage is going to backfire on the media.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-16 16:55:52
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
We already know that the leftovers of Obama's admin cannot be trusted, so should we fire the entire administration and start fresh, or make examples of the few bad players?

I'd say the answer is obvious. Get rid of the leftovers, put in your own people. It's the only way to ensure that you don't have people leaking classified information for political gain.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-16 16:57:20
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
We already know that the leftovers of Obama's admin cannot be trusted, so should we fire the entire administration and start fresh, or make examples of the few bad players?

I'd say the answer is obvious. Get rid of the leftovers, put in your own people. It's the only way to ensure that you don't have people leaking classified information for political gain.
It could backfire though.

The leftovers have experience, which this administration sorely lacks.

If there's a way to identify correctly who's the *** and who's the silent dissent, then it would be easy to fire those who would do more harm towards the US than anything.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-16 17:02:02
Link | Citer | R

If there's a way to identify correctly who's the *** and who's the silent dissent, then it would be easy to fire those who would do more harm towards the US than anything.

That's fair. I just don't know how easy it would be to weed out the rats. I'd probably give them an ultimatum. Keep each other in check, because if it happens again you're all fired.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-02-16 17:04:02
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
"Drugs are cheaper than candy"

Mr.President WTactualF?
Take my word for it. Even legal MJ is still more expensive than candy. And MJ candy...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-16 17:11:13
Link | Citer | R

That's fair. I just don't know how easy it would be to weed out the rats. I'd probably give them an ultimatum. Keep each other in check, because if it happens again you're all fired.
There's another huge issue at hand too.

It will probably be what protects the "anonymous tipster" from getting fired right away.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-02-16 17:16:58
Link | Citer | R

I'd be interested to see how well the people in here would handle being the subject of an hour long, hostile press conference....
I could manage coherent sentences without repeating myself. I could never approach his level of mendacity even though I used to be a pretty good bullshitter.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-16 17:18:03
Link | Citer | R

There's another huge issue at hand too.

It will probably be what protects the "anonymous tipster" from getting fired right away.

Hmm... maybe, yeah. Although if there's cause to indict, no union will save them.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-16 17:21:48
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
I'd be interested to see how well the people in here would handle being the subject of an hour long, hostile press conference....
I could manage coherent sentences without repeating myself. I could never approach his level of mendacity even though I used to be a pretty good bullshitter.
I call *** on that assertion......

......wait.......

....***.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2017-02-16 17:25:28
Link | Citer | R

You are right, he is being defensive about this whole shitfest.

But you need to remember, there is a bigger story about this than Flynn. It's about that "anonymous tipster" who allegedly released classified information to the media.

They got what they wanted (Flynn resigned), but at what cost? We already know that the leftovers of Obama's admin cannot be trusted, so should we fire the entire administration and start fresh, or make examples of the few bad players?
Well if you look back leaks are nothing new in DC though I will say the trump admin seems to have had more right away than any in recent history... Obama was know for being the president to attempt to crack down on stuff like this more than any other...

leaks aren't unique to the trump admin... good luck sniffing them all out... I'm always conflicted by this dilemma though... there are some things that clearly need to be kept secret but others that only seem to be government over reach or corruption covered up and buried by the world classified...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2017-02-16 17:26:50
Link | Citer | R

Except you know that's illegal...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2017-02-16 17:29:00
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
The irony being that he lauded leaks during the campaign but now that the show is on the other foot...
I didn't realize that the DNC emails were classified (not that I care at all, but still.....).
I didn't say that they were... the point still being that they were still illegally obtained and distributed and trump gave his stamp of approval... he applauded the leaks for exposing information that the public needed to know regardless of the source...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-16 17:33:41
Link | Citer | R

The irony being that he lauded leaks during the campaign but now that the show is on the other foot...
I didn't realize that the DNC emails were classified (not that I care at all, but still.....).
I didn't say that they were... the point still being that they were still illegally obtained and distributed and trump gave his stamp of approval... he applauded the leaks for exposing information that the public needed to know regardless of the source...
Again, there is a difference between revealing shenanigans regarding a federal election and revealing national security risks for political gain.

Sure, Trump benefited from the Wikileaks, Assange had a vested, personal interest in making sure Clinton didn't get into the White House. Regardless, that's all minor compared to these types of leaks that basically compromises national security over basically nothing.

Newsflash: Flynn isn't the first incoming adviser who talked to foreign powers prior to being in the federal government.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2017-02-16 17:33:55
Link | Citer | R

It would still be nice if he could answer a question with a complete thought minus the constant self-interjections and hyperbole.

Serious question. Is this the first time you've listened to Trump speak?

Because I have never not heard him sound like that in the last 37 or so years that he had been in the public eye.

Also ...follow up question...Would you happen to have a miracle on you that you haven't used/have been holding out on us?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2017-02-16 17:48:19
Link | Citer | R

Again, there is a difference between revealing shenanigans regarding a federal election and revealing national security risks for political gain.

Sure, Trump benefited from the Wikileaks, Assange had a vested, personal interest in making sure Clinton didn't get into the White House. Regardless, that's all minor compared to these types of leaks that basically compromises national security over basically nothing.

Newsflash: Flynn isn't the first incoming adviser who talked to foreign powers prior to being in the federal government.
Sure there's a difference though I wouldn't refer to them as shenanigans... it did have a very real effect on the most important election we have though so there's something in that...

How have these leaks compromised our national security?

I wouldn't be surprised if they have... care to elaborate on who and what was discussed? I'd actually be interested in seeing the correlation and how it was handled...
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-02-16 17:52:49
Link | Citer | R

It's just funny that "America" wants a 70yr old incoherent narcissist with the memory of Dory, that will more than likely die of coronary failure caused by a Big Mac as president.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2017-02-16 17:53:18
Link | Citer | R

I'd be interested to see how well the people in here would handle being the subject of an hour long, hostile press conference. I'd also be interested in seeing how well Obama would have done if he wasn't lobbed softballs for eight years.

I'm not saying Trump couldn't have answered the questions better, because he could have. But, as usual, I strongly think the over-coverage is going to backfire on the media.
Well first off... he's the president of the United States... are you implying there's a situation in which he shouldn't be expected to prepared and/or capable of handling a press conference? He's the president not some scrub off the street if he can't handle a press conference how can there be any confidence in him to handle real difficult situations?

Personally I dont think it matters what the media does... people are going to latch on to whatever they think will give support to what they want to believe in regardless of whether it's factual or not... you think trump voters really gave much credence to CNN or MSNBC before now? Or HRC voters gave any thought to fox or breitbart?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-02-16 18:02:28
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
It would still be nice if he could answer a question with a complete thought minus the constant self-interjections and hyperbole.

Serious question. Is this the first time you've listened to Trump speak?

Because I have never not heard him sound like that in the last 37 or so years that he had been in the public eye.

Also ...follow up question...Would you happen to have a miracle on you that you haven't used/have been holding out on us?
This extensively, no.

Keep your hands off my miracles >0
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2017-02-16 18:12:32
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
It's just funny that "America" wants a 70yr old incoherent narcissist with the memory of Dory, that will more than likely die of coronary failure caused by a Big Mac as president.

Now you're getting it! It is funny!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-02-16 19:03:02
Link | Citer | R

So Trumps new pick for National Security Advisor said "Nope!!!"

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-16 19:36:15
Link | Citer | R

Well, Harward not accepting the position is already sparking another round of partisan media spin over something completely insignificant.

- According to our source, he balked at the idea of working for Trump.

- According to our source, he really wanted the job, but his family wanted him to remain in the private sector.

And look, an honest one:

- The exact reason for the decision was not immediately clear.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-16 20:09:34
Link | Citer | R

Sure there's a difference though I wouldn't refer to them as shenanigans... it did have a very real effect on the most important election we have though so there's something in that...
That said that the DNC stacked heavily on Clinton and not on Sanders? Some huge leak, coming from the obvious court of obviousness.

Remember, those leaks showed how the DNC worked. It didn't show any foul play in the general election. Timing of releasing those leaks probably helped, but then again, going up to Election Night, Clinton was still the frontrunner and presumed victor of the election, or did you forget that?

Those leaks showed little negativity on Clinton's character (she did such a great job on that that nothing would have been done otherwise). If you look at it objectively, those leaks didn't do anything to sway people's perception of Clinton that she hasn't already done herself (remember those deplorables?)

How have these leaks compromised our national security?
Do you even know what was released? That tipster not only divulged on a phone conversation between himself and the Russian Ambassador, but also the content. It also signified that we have hacked through the Russian network and were listening on their phone conversations. That tipster practically threw down a lot of spying capability down the drain just to get Flynn fired. It also showed that Obama's administration never learned their lesson from the Snowden incident, and even doubled down on such practices (
big surprise
).

The tampering with the phone lines itself was classified (or higher!) information, and he released it for political gain.

Is that good enough for you?

I wouldn't be surprised if they have... care to elaborate on who and what was discussed? I'd actually be interested in seeing the correlation and how it was handled...
Flynn told the Russian Ambassador that Obama's sanctions (that he just placed the day of the phone call) will be gone when Trump's president. Which...was obvious since Trump practically stated so too. In other words, the conversation itself wasn't the issue. But the liberal media is blowing it out of proportion all for the name of science!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2017-02-16 20:41:49
Link | Citer | R

Dude, he slayed that press conference. I feel bad for everyone thinking he didn't. My FB is full of melting snowflakes.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 53 54 55 ... 82 83 84