Random Politics & Religion #17

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #17
Random Politics & Religion #17
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 28 29 30
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2017-01-09 09:44:18
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
No he is responding to criticism...big difference.
Letting people ***all over you is what presidents do. It's not like obama ever fought back against talk radio or anything.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-09 09:58:37
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
fonewear said: »
No he is responding to criticism...big difference.
Letting people ***all over you is what presidents do. It's not like obama ever fought back against talk radio or anything.

He whined about Rush Limbaugh from time to time, but that's about it from what I've seen.
By crimsondragon 2017-01-09 12:09:45
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
crimsondragon said: »
Ramyrez said: »
I just worry about the "make America a manufacturing giant" again stuff.

I mean, I'm on board with it in theory.

I'm glad you're on board.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/fiat-chrysler-adds-jeeps-creates-2000-us-jobs-44636129

I'm sure Trumps election had nothing to do with this decision. One things for sure Michigan is already making out well for turning red and Ohio isn't doing bad either.

Trump is fulfilling campaign promises and he isn't even sworn in yet.
Quote:
Consumers worldwide have gravitated toward SUVs and trucks while turning away from passenger cars. Last year in the U.S., car sales fell 7 percent while truck and SUV sales rose 8 percent.
Another case of factories responding to consumer demand. Unless Trump has been influencing preferences in car size then I don't see what this has to do with him.

I'll Bold the hard to read parts for you.
Quote:
Last year, FCA announced plans to stop production of the slow-selling Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200. Factories that make those products in Sterling Heights, Michigan, and Belvidere, Ill., will get new trucks and SUVs as FCA searches for an automaker that would build small cars under contract.

The factory upgrade in Warren also would allow the plant to make heavy-duty Ram pickups that now are produced in Saltillo, Mexico. But FCA would not say if it has plans to shift production to the north.

Producing vehicles in Mexico and shipping them to the U.S. has become a thorny political issue with the election of Donald Trump as president. Trump has criticized Ford, General Motors and Toyota for building small cars in Mexico and shipping them across the border. He has threatened to impose a big border tax on the companies.

The factory moves expand FCA's capacity to build vehicles in key segments "enabling us to meet growing demand here in the U.S., but more importantly to increase exports of our mid-size and larger vehicles to international markets," CEO Sergio Marchionne said in a statement. Marchionne added that those markets "have historically been denied product due to (factory) capacity constraints."

It has everything to do with the change in the political wind. The fact you cannot or will not see it only proves your political bias.
By eliroo 2017-01-09 12:13:25
Link | Citer | R

I think the results of the election show what consumers want and manufacturers are making the appropriate actions before their consumers crack down on them about it.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-01-09 12:24:12
Link | Citer | R

your political bias.
This said after
is just appalling.

Can you see further than your nose?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-09 13:12:55
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
your political bias.
This said after
is just appalling.

Can you see further than your nose?

Candidates make a lot of campaign promises. They make some, they break some, and Trump is no different. He has already made headway on some of his promises, backed off on some others. CD's claim here isn't bias, it's a statement of fact.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-01-09 13:19:08
Link | Citer | R

Weird what I got from the article and post is that some of y'all have no idea what to bold in order to emphasize your intended points.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-09 13:20:33
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Weird what I got from the article and post is that some of y'all have no idea what to bold in order to emphasize your intended points.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-01-09 13:29:50
Link | Citer | R

Hyuk Hyuk hyuk...While you might know what you're doing; some of your internet friends here, need to enroll in some remedial English Lit. at their local CC to figure out how to quote and emphasize correctly.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-09 13:42:49
Link | Citer | R

Hyuk Hyuk hyuk...While you might know what you're doing; some of your internet friends here, need to enroll in some remedial English Lit. at their local CC to figure out how to quote and emphasize correctly.

Eh, I'm giving Crimson the new guy benefit of the doubt. As for the rest, well... if you want me to point out their English errors, I'm also going to have to point the punctuation problems in your above post. The last thing we need is a grammar war when we don't even have a freaking edit button.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-01-09 14:01:45
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Candidates make a lot of campaign promises. They make some, they break some, and Trump is no different. He has already made headway on some of his promises, backed off on some others. CD's claim here isn't bias, it's a statement of fact.
He has done nothing cause he is not in office. Whether he is already influencing the market can be debated, but to assert that he is fulfilling his campaign promises while he's not doing anything is just bonkers. Especially while calling someone else biased.

And you call that facts? Maybe I should reconsider you as well.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-01-09 14:02:27
Link | Citer | R

I'm just talking about bolding and emphasizing quoted text, nothing to do with grammar or syntax. But, hey don't let me stop you from intentionally missing the point because you want to be contentious.

Here's something for you to chew on.

Sean Hannity wants to make Russia great again.

"Ask Sean! He'll tell you I'm no puppet of Putin" -D.J. Trump[/quote]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-09 14:14:58
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
He has done nothing cause he is not in office. Whether he is already influencing the market can be debated, but to assert that he is fulfilling his campaign promises while he's not doing anything is just bonkers. Especially while calling someone else biased.

And you call that facts? Maybe I should reconsider you as well.

Uhhh.... You don't necessarily have to be president to fulfill campaign promises, because it not all promises are dependent upon the power of the Executive Office. You can, as a president elect, set the framework for future actions by working with Congress to begin preparations. That is already occurring, for example, with preliminary investigations into the repealing of Obamacare and building the wall. He is fulfilling (present participle, it's in the process of happening) promises.

So yes, these are facts.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-09 14:21:23
Link | Citer | R

I'm just talking about bolding and emphasizing quoted text, nothing to do with grammar or syntax. But, hey don't let me stop you from intentionally missing the point because you want to be contentious.

Eh, I'm not really being that contentious about it. Heck, I even made an error in my last post. It just seems weird to nitpick the new guy and talk as if he's all buddy buddy with the some of us just because he's apparently conservative. If he survives a month in the P&R fire, we'll talk.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-01-09 14:24:13
Link | Citer | R

It has everything to do with the change in the political wind. The fact you cannot or will not see it only proves your political bias.
Consumer patterns mean more than "political wind". It's money - that simple. Trump hasn't done anything yet so maybe wait until he actually passes regulation that companies can respond to before we declare America great again. Until then it's the definition of counting your chickens.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-01-09 14:28:31
Link | Citer | R

More like he is pulling a "Homer" and getting credit for market movements that have nothing to do with him. Which is then reinforced by a fan base that interprets "facts" to fit their narrative in the same manner that statisticians interpret data.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-09 14:30:59
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Consumer patterns mean more than "political wind". It's money - that simple. Trump hasn't done anything yet so maybe wait until he actually passes regulation that companies can respond to before we declare America great again. Until then it's the definition of counting your chickens.

You're partially right here. However, there's a difference between Trump taking credit for something due to his ego and a company directly attributing a decision to Trump's impending presidency. Both are debatable, but the latter is far more substantive and I'd say deserves some credit.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-09 14:35:50
Link | Citer | R

More like he is pulling a "Homer" and getting credit for market movements that have nothing to do with him. Which is then reinforced by a fan base that interprets "facts" to fit their narrative in the same manner that statisticians interpret data.

I was going to rebut this, but... yeah, I've seen enough of this that it makes me sad for my profession.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-01-09 14:36:38
Link | Citer | R

It's possible but the gears of industry tend to be set in motion quarters in advance.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-01-09 14:47:26
Link | Citer | R

I was going to rebut this, but... yeah, I've seen enough of this that it makes me sad for my profession.

Well to be honest, it wasn't present in my mind you're a statistician when I wrote that. It was my major take away from AP Stat when I was HS 21 yrs ago. You can simply make the numbers fit if you're determined/paid enough.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-01-09 14:48:44
Link | Citer | R

•make the numbers fit your hypothesis/narrative if you're determined/paid enough.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-01-09 15:20:08
Link | Citer | R

Future headline:

Trump wears lucky underpants, 50,000 jobs don't leave the country!

We are now living in a post fact, post truth world. Get used to it.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-09 15:30:46
Link | Citer | R

Oh yeah, and beside that there are a number of ways to be completely honest with the numbers but present them in a way that's designed to deceive. My favorite is when there's a spike in trend data that's well within the realm of statistically acceptable movement, but according to management it goes like this:

Management - "Holy crap! A spike! We must investigate and address this immediately! Stats boy, explain this!"
Statistician - "This is typical. There's nothing to worry about."
Management - "EXPLAAAAINNNNNN THIIISSSSSSS!"
Statistician - "Uhh, okay. [Finds red herring] Here you go."
Management - "Great! Now I know who to yell at!"
[+]
By fonewear 2017-01-09 15:53:17
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Future headline:

Trump wears lucky underpants, 50,000 jobs don't leave the country!

We are now living in a post fact, post truth world. Get used to it.

What about post racial society Obama promised me ?

And I'm still waiting for that Obama phone !
[+]
By fonewear 2017-01-09 15:57:21
Link | Citer | R

Let's check the internet time machine to 2008 when black and white people were holding hands singing:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-oe-steele5-2008nov05-story.html
By fonewear 2017-01-09 16:00:31
Link | Citer | R

Also facts get in the way of getting things done instead arguing over whether Russia hacked us or not. We could be creating jobs building infrastructure etc. But no we must defeat Russia and the evil empire that threatens to read your e-mails !
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 28 29 30