Random Politics & Religion #17

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #17
Random Politics & Religion #17
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 28 29 30
By Ramyrez 2017-01-03 11:34:58
Link | Citer | R

Civil War II Electric Boogaloo.

[+]
By fonewear 2017-01-03 11:36:37
Link | Citer | R

In important news:

This Supermarket Will No Longer Charge Women More For Razors

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/this-supermarket-will-no-longer-charge-women-more-for-razors_us_586bb00be4b0eb58648a6786?section=us_women
By Ramyrez 2017-01-03 11:39:30
Link | Citer | R

I mean, I don't know about "important," but it's at least fair. Different costs just for pink razors was always pretty idiotic.

Of course, I thought pink razors were idiotic in the first place, and my wife and I both just use the exact same razors from an online supplier...
By fonewear 2017-01-03 11:41:49
Link | Citer | R

January is a slow time for news. I mean we could go 3 months with literally nothing happening.

But that won't stop CNN with every Trump tweet !
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-03 11:52:38
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
January is a slow time for news. I mean we could go 3 months with literally nothing happening.

But that won't stop CNN with every Trump tweet !

Well, I can see where they're coming from. Imagine being one of their writers:

"Let's see, I can actually do my job today, or... just hang out on Twitter and write a piece from that."
[+]
By fonewear 2017-01-03 11:58:07
Link | Citer | R

Wow they are actually televising the US senate the ratings must be through the roof all three people watching !
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-03 12:00:09
Link | Citer | R

Wow they are actually televising the US senate the ratings must be through the roof all three people watching !

If you wonder why Congress sucks so bad, just watch CSPAN all day every day. If you can't stay interested and/or awake, now you know how hard it is!
By fonewear 2017-01-03 12:01:04
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

If you wonder why Congress sucks so bad, just watch CSPAN all day every day. If you can't stay interested and/or awake, now you know how hard it is!

I can barely finish writing a sentence without being distracted let along watch Congress *** and bluster !
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-01-03 13:01:17
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Candlejack said: »
In other political news, the congress has just voted to dismantle the Congressional Ethics Oversight Board.
Not dismantle, just weaken it

Also:

Trump criticized the move.
Update:

Republicans in the House are reversing course. No real link, just highlights so far.
House Republicans pull plan to gut independent ethics panel after Trump tweets
CNN
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-01-03 13:03:08
Link | Citer | R

I always bought yellow Bics unless the pinks were on a deep discount sale.
By Ramyrez 2017-01-03 13:10:18
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
I always bought yellow Bics unless the pinks were on a deep discount sale

We're spoiled, Chanti. We need our eight-blade Octoshavers.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-01-03 13:11:32
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
We need our eight-blade Octoshavers.
Only 8?

Get gud, scrub!

[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-01-03 13:18:05
Link | Citer | R

Only 8?

Get gud, scrub!

The Onion, predicting life through satire since forever. (article from 2004)
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-01-03 13:19:54
Link | Citer | R

Only 8?

Get gud, scrub!

The Onion, predicting life through satire since forever. (article from 2004)
Damn it Rooks, it's posts like this that needs multiple [+] from the same people!

I had to get on my "super-secret" account to give Ramy another [+].

Damn you, Satan Rooks!
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-03 13:20:56
Link | Citer | R

Only 8?

Get gud, scrub!

Player, please.

[+]

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2017-01-03 13:26:13
Link | Citer | R

I remember the first time my wife and I saw the Gillette Fusion or w/e the first five-blade razor was and we went, "...lolwut? The Onion called this. Seriously."

...and then I bought some, because who doesn't want to get in on that type of irony?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-01-03 13:28:12
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
In other political news, the congress has just voted to dismantle the Congressional Ethics Oversight Board.
Not dismantle, just weaken it

Also:

Trump criticized the move.
Update:

Republicans in the House are reversing course. No real link, just highlights so far.
House Republicans pull plan to gut independent ethics panel after Trump tweets
CNN
The ones proposing gutting the ethics panel have things they'd love to hide, namely criminal acts. Follow the money.
Seriously, can you turn off the bias for just a few seconds?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-03 13:30:06
Link | Citer | R

The problem with the bias knob is that it often breaks once you turn it up to 11.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-01-03 13:32:53
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
The problem with the bias knob is that it often breaks once you turn it up to 11.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-01-03 14:42:45
Link | Citer | R

More than 1,100 law school professors nationwide oppose Sessions’s nomination as attorney general
WaPo - paywall

Quote:
A group of more than 1,100 law school professors from across the country is sending a letter to Congress on Tuesday urging the Senate to reject the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) for attorney general.

The letter, signed by professors from 170 law schools in 48 states, is also scheduled to run as a full-page newspaper ad aimed at members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which will be holding confirmation hearings for Sessions on Jan. 10-11.

“We are convinced that Jeff Sessions will not fairly enforce our nation’s laws and promote justice and equality in the United States,” states the letter, signed by prominent legal scholars including Laurence H. Tribe of Harvard Law School, Geoffrey R. Stone of the University of Chicago Law School, Pamela S. Karlan of Stanford Law School and Erwin Chemerinsky of the University of California, Irvine School of Law.

The professors — from every state except North Dakota and Alaska, which has no law school — highlight the rejection of Sessions’s nomination to a federal judgeship more than 30 years ago. Robin Walker Sterling of the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, one of the organizers of the letter, said that 1,000 professors signed on within 72 hours. “Clearly, there are many, many law professors who are very uneasy with the prospect of Attorney General Sessions, and they are willing to take a public stand in opposition to his nomination,” she said.

The law professors wrote that some of them have concerns about Sessions’s prosecution of three civil rights activists for voter fraud in Alabama in 1985, his support for building a wall along the nation’s southern border and his “repeated opposition to legislative efforts to promote the rights of women and members of the LGBTQ community.”

“Nothing in Senator Sessions’ public life since 1986,” the letter states, “has convinced us that he is a different man than the 39-year-old attorney who was deemed too racially insensitive to be a federal district court judge.”

Sessions’s former chief counsel William Smith, who is African American, has said that people who call Sessions racially insensitive are “just lying. And they should stop the smear campaign.”

“The people making these allegations against Senator Sessions don’t know him,” Smith said in an interview. “In the last 30 years, they probably haven’t spent 10 hours with him. I spent 10 years working with him . . . as his top legal adviser. There are not statements that he made that are inappropriate.”

Allegations of racial insensitivity were made against Sessions at a 1986 Senate hearing when he was nominated by President Ronald Reagan to be a federal judge. His nomination was defeated, after being opposed by the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, People for the American Way and the NAACP, which is now protesting his nomination for attorney general, calling it “despicable and unacceptable.”

Supporters of Sessions note that his nomination has been endorsed by Gerald A. Reynolds, a former chairman of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights. In a letter to the Judiciary Committee’s highest-ranking Republican and Democrat, Reynolds, who is African American, said, “Session is a man of great character and integrity with a commitment to fairness and equal justice under the law.”

Sarah Flores, a spokeswoman for Sessions, said Friday in response to the NAACP statement that Sessions “has dedicated his career to upholding the rule of law, ensuring public safety and prosecuting government corruption.”

“Many African-American leaders who’ve known him for decades attest to this and have welcomed his nomination to be the next Attorney General,” Flores said in a statement. “These false portrayals of Senator Sessions will fail as tired, recycled, hyperbolic charges that have been thoroughly rebuked and discredited. From the Fraternal Order of Police and the National Sheriffs’ Association to civil rights leaders and African-American elected officials, to victims’ rights organizations, Senator Sessions has inspired confidence from people across the country that he will return the Department of Justice to an agency the American people can be proud of once again.”
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-01-03 16:15:59
Link | Citer | R

So, that's 1140 sets of tears that Sessions will just eat up when he becomes Attorney General.

He can't do that much worse than his two predecessors, can he? They basically flaunted the law from day one.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-01-03 16:21:59
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-01-03 16:26:28
Link | Citer | R

Oh, by the way Vic:

That ceasefire that was brokered between Turkey and Russia, with 0 US input? The one that happened about 4 days ago.

Last reports: Still going on.
By Viciouss 2017-01-03 16:31:14
Link | Citer | R

Air strikes have been goin on every night against the non terrorist rebels and they have broken off peace talks, Assad is moving on rebel positions outside Damascus, Putin can't control his puppet, but whatever you want to dream up KN.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-01-03 16:36:40
Link | Citer | R

Edit: NVM, they just reported it.

Like, literally minutes ago.

Edit 2: Actually, it's still on, the headlines are misleading

But what do you expect from WaPo, the leader in facts I don't like?
 Phoenix.Xantavia
Serveur: Phoenix
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2017-01-03 17:48:10
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Slore said: »
And so it begins.

Ford halts mexico plant

TL/DR: Due to Trump policies Ford has halted construction plans to build a $1.8Billion plant in Mexico, instead will invest $700 million in Michigan.
Are you sure Trump isn't just taking credit for nothing again?
Was a supply/demand issue
Quote:
CEO Mark Fields told CNBC on Tuesday that President-elect Donald Trump wasn't the main factor when Ford decided to cancel its plans for a $1.6 billion plant in Mexico.

"The bottom line is we're not seeing the volume and the demand that we expected for that plant. And, therefore, we're looking at our capacity and saying, 'You know what, we can build that in an existing facility and use capacity that we already have,'" he said.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-01-03 18:17:55
Link | Citer | R

They all make cheaper little cars when and where it makes sense. Right now it doesn't.

Ford Isn’t Adding American Jobs Because of Donald Trump
The company is doing what’s made sense for years—and what the Bush and Obama administrations made possible.

Slate.

The important paragraph:
Quote:
When the economy is doing poorly and gas is very expensive, manufacturing and sales strategies that center around expensive, low-mileage cars are a recipe for disaster, which is one of the reasons Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler ran into so much trouble in 2007 and 2008. But when the economy is going well, when lots of people have jobs and incomes are rising, and when gas is very cheap, selling those big, pricey, tech-filled cars is a really good strategy. And regardless of how the U.S. economy is doing or where gas prices are, it is making less and less sense to build very cheap cars in the U.S. where fixed costs are high. So it’s not surprising that Ford is pushing more production of the Focus to Mexico and investing in greater capacity to produce expensive, large vehicles in the United States....
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 28 29 30