Random Politics & Arguments Over Nothing #16

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Arguments Over Nothing #16
Random Politics & Arguments Over Nothing #16
First Page 2 3 ... 36 37 38 ... 39 40 41
By Ramyrez 2016-12-22 10:20:22
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
You do realize that it is almost impossible to do that without redefining the working structure of America.

Hell, the federal government is powerful, but not omniscient. Nobody has that sort of power anymore. There will not be a Industrial Revolution II: Electric Boogaloo.

Basically what I'm trying to say.

King and I have discussed this before, more recently actually.

What you're actually talking about to "fix" this problem is government-enforced population and business redistribution as well as, if not direct government employment in government-run industry, then corporate contracted versions of what essentially amounts to the same thing.

America as it is currently constituted would not suffer that sort of yoke. Even the most liberal, let alone the guns-god-liberties crowd.

Again, that's not a dig at that crowd. It's just a fact.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-22 10:20:46
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
I'm laughing at the fact that it's a multi-faceted problem that I'm not sure anyone is prepared to truly handle, or that anyone in Washington even has a good idea of where to begin let alone actually enact anything to make it happen.
Face it, nobody has any solutions because we are all too busy to place blame on our political opponents to care.

Even if Trump had the perfect plan, and even if we assume he wins a second term (big if, though not impossible) I don't think there's enough time for it to happen, and there's zero chance of any plan being carried out long-term if anyone other than a Trump disciple gets elected following his questionable second term.
And even then, it has to be executed perfectly.

8 years is too short for a sustainable, long-term goal to be conceived.

Hell, look at Social Security. We have, on estimate, 35 years remaining on it, and yet, no real plans are even thought up of because politicians in power will be dust before it really starts affecting people.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-22 10:30:00
Link | Citer | R

I still stand behind my idea of a two-to-four year period of mandated government service, be it military or a non-combat option such as the CCC, for all citizens direct out of high school would be of great benefit to the nation.

It would build a sense of camaraderie among the rural and urban populations where we currently have a disconnect. It would engender the exchange of the better parts of people's lives in both areas. It would aid our ailing infrastructure. And it would allow for some degree of useful real world skills to be imparted upon everyone, as well as a chance to instill in many a work ethic and sense of duty to not just our country, but to themselves that is sorely lacking.

But...again. It would cost tax dollars, and would be the kind of long-term, somewhat authoritarian action that no politician in their right mind would willingly commit to. It would be too risky to their personal position, which is what far too many people care about in totality these days.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-12-22 10:32:32
Link | Citer | R

Ah the ol "trump will never" gag.

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-22 10:35:13
Link | Citer | R

I still stand behind my idea of a two-to-four year period of mandated government service, be it military or a non-combat option such as the CCC, for all citizens direct out of high school would be of great benefit to the nation.
Eww, no!

There's a reason why some of us avoid government interactions (and not for a legal sense) in our lives.

But you are suggesting a mandated government service?

Hell
No
!

It would build a sense of camaraderie among the rural and urban populations where we currently have a disconnect.
So would jailtime, which is practically what you are proposing.

And it would allow for some degree of useful real world skills to be imparted upon everyone, as well as a chance to instill in many a work ethic and sense of duty to not just our country, but to themselves that is sorely lacking.
So would college, but not everyone is fit for that.

Kindof like your mandated government jailtime "service."

But let's face it. What you will get in this is a minimalist service from the general population who is being forced (upon against their will, to add) to do whatever need the government has at hand, be it military or infrastructure services. That is akin to governmental slavery (and thus, we should all run away from that idea!).
By Ramyrez 2016-12-22 10:40:45
Link | Citer | R

Think you're being a bit reactionary, but I understand your revulsion.

It doesn't really matter because I know how impractical it is. But I really do think it would do wonders.

Or make it something like the draft where there are exemptions for college or family need or w/e.

IDK. It's all theories and conjecture anyhow because I know damn well it would never happen.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-12-22 10:47:39
Link | Citer | R

I mean the economy is almost literally exploding at Trumps election. Does KN think it's all fake?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-22 10:49:11
Link | Citer | R

It doesn't really matter because I know how impractical it is. But I really do think it would do wonders.

Or make it something like the draft where there are exemptions for college or family need or w/e.

IDK. It's all theories and conjecture anyhow because I know damn well it would never happen.
I'm appalled that you would even consider something like this.

Yes, I understand the benefits of what you are proposing, however I must remind you that those benefits exist because there is no real resistance towards these programs. If you were to institute a "draft-like" system where all citizens are forced into government-mandated programs, you will find a large, even overwhelming, resistance towards such programs, and the very corroboratory feeling towards others you are proposing would be built would not exist due to the resistance of forced internment.

Unless you want a population of defeated people, that is. In that case, I'm all for it, as it would make world domination much easier.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-12-22 10:51:46
Link | Citer | R

Undercover Israeli...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-22 10:51:52
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
I mean the economy is almost literally exploding at Trumps election. Does KN think it's all fake?
No, but I think anyone other than Clinton/Obama/other obstructionists being elected would have produced the exact same results.

The economy's outlook as risen significantly now that obstructionist policies such as Obama's and Clinton's are going away. I don't think it's because of Trump's proposed policies that's a direct or indirect factor in such projected growth as it is the reversal of Obama's rhetoric and policies.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-12-22 10:54:51
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Ah the ol "trump will never" gag.

There is a significant difference in the bullet points before and after the [You are now here]. The ones listed before are things that have happened to Trump, but not necessarily anything he did and the ones listed after are supposed to be things he will do. The points aren't really comparable.
By Ramyrez 2016-12-22 10:55:32
Link | Citer | R

*shrug*

Dunno what else to tell you. I already said I acknowledge it could and would never happen.
By Ramyrez 2016-12-22 10:56:54
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

Undercover Israeli...

I wasn't going to bring in countries that actually do this with some degree of success.

Then again, who knows how Israel would survive with the amount of resources other countries hemorrhage to help them out.

Then then again, who knows what aide and services we receive on the down low from Israel in return for our contributions.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-22 11:00:39
Link | Citer | R

*shrug*

Dunno what else to tell you. I already said I acknowledge it could and would never happen.
I'm just emphasizing the disdain I have on your proposal.

I'm all for freedom of choice, and what you just proposed, even though you admitted in it not being politically feasible, is paramount to removing such freedom. It is the same to me as suggesting that we remove all of our ability to choose and have the government make our life choices for us. Which is a very dangerous prospect.

In other words:

By Ramyrez 2016-12-22 11:05:47
Link | Citer | R

I think your equating a period of guaranteed pay, benefits, training, and character building to "jail" and "slavery" speaks to your background of extreme privilege that you are, at times, not willing to admit as a significant factor in your belief system.

And honestly, much like the draft of the Vietnam era, someone from that kind of background could easily slip away from said service through one of many exemptions.

But I think you're really discounting the many, many benefits such programs would have. I think you're also assuming the absolute worst about ideas that aren't even fully fleshed out.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-22 11:08:31
Link | Citer | R

Then then again, who knows what aide and services we receive on the down low from Israel in return for our contributions.

Bagels and accountants.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-22 11:15:59
Link | Citer | R

I think your equating a period of guaranteed pay, benefits, training, and character building to "jail" and "slavery" speaks to your background of extreme privilege that you are, at times, not willing to admit as a significant factor in your belief system.
If it's all said and good, why again did they stop enforcing the draft system again?

Was it because of the large resistance towards the draft during a very unpopular war? Do you honestly think that people will be happy they are forced to do something they don't choose to do?

But I think you're really discounting the many, many benefits such programs would have. I think you're also assuming the absolute worst about ideas that aren't even fully fleshed out.
I'm not discounting anything. There wasn't honestly much comradeship among soldiers until they were being shot at. Take away the common fear of death at the hands of people who hate you, and you take away the very essence of companionship you propose will occur.

Also, I'm not assuming the absolute worst because it isn't even a fully fleshed out idea, I'm assuming the absolute worst because of who you choose to enforce such ideas: the federal government. Remember, this is the same government that is considered the most inefficient grouping of people ever conceived by man. Do you honestly believe they will implement any sort of idea like this correctly and to the point of what you are proposing?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-22 11:16:44
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Bagels and accountants.
Two things we are in serious short supply of here in America.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-22 11:22:35
Link | Citer | R

Well, again, there's a reason I think a civilian non-combat option is vital to this plan. In fact, I think it's actually the more important aspect of this plan.

Whatever.

It's a meaningless discussion on a third party hack website for a dying game that isn't worth getting upset about.
By Ramyrez 2016-12-22 11:23:46
Link | Citer | R

Bagels and accountants.

You say that, but clearly no one needs more accountants that badly because they're not offering very good compensation packages...
By Ramyrez 2016-12-22 11:25:06
Link | Citer | R

*Or maybe my region is not indicative of the nation as a whole.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-22 11:36:06
Link | Citer | R

Well, again, there's a reason I think a civilian non-combat option is vital to this plan. In fact, I think it's actually the more important aspect of this plan.

Whatever.

It's a meaningless discussion on a third party hack website for a dying game that isn't worth getting upset about.
Not really.

It's a slow news day, Trump hasn't tweeted WWIII insults yet, and everyone is getting ready for Christmas.

Which means: I'm bored.

Bagels and accountants.

You say that, but clearly no one needs more accountants that badly because they're not offering very good compensation packages...

*Or maybe my region is not indicative of the nation as a whole.
It's neither.

Thanks to technology, accounting services can be outsourced into states that enable better use of resources, such as labor. GAAP doesn't change (often) so the practices used in Pennsylvania companies are the same and can be done in Texas.

There's a huge deficiency of accounting services in Texas. I keep getting cold calls from headhunters wanting me to go back into public accounting, even though I like my retired life.....
By Ramyrez 2016-12-22 11:39:25
Link | Citer | R

I just know I've got a few friends with degrees in accounting who are willingly taking less to work in other fields right now because accounting jobs around here work on some seriously problematic pay schedules.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-22 11:42:05
Link | Citer | R

I just know I've got a few friends with degrees in accounting who are willingly taking less to work in other fields right now because accounting jobs around here work on some seriously problematic pay schedules.
Problematic in what way?
By Ramyrez 2016-12-22 11:46:18
Link | Citer | R

Problematic in what way?

Hours-to-pay ratio, mostly.
By Ramyrez 2016-12-22 11:48:09
Link | Citer | R

I can't tell you for certain because I didn't grill them about it. I'm not really enough of a nibshit to grill my friends about their money. I just know of my friends with accounting degrees they're about 50/50 in and out of field, some in related fields, some doing completely other ***.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-22 11:50:55
Link | Citer | R

Problematic in what way?

Hours-to-pay ratio, mostly.
I'm assuming the major complaint is for tax accountants during tax season (13+ hours a day for 3ish months).

That's the nature of the beast. If the CPA firm doesn't pay bonuses to compensate the time extra spent, then those accountants (CPA or otherwise) should just go to another firm, or create one themselves.

The Big 4 have a bonus structure based on hour structure during tax season. And most firms (at least here in Texas) follow such structure because they don't want to lose people to the Big 4.

And the Big 4 are always hiring.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-12-22 12:29:12
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
The Overall winner doesn't have half the votes in Maine, that's just how the numbers work because there are only two congressional districts. What happens is the winner in each district gets that district's vote while the popular vote winner gets the two senate seat votes. This is the way the system was supposed to work until one state passed a law that says all it's votes have to go to the popular winner....
Well... no. That isn't the way the system was supposed to work at all.

Electors were apointed by several different, state specific, systems. The states' popular votes weren't taken into account at all by the individual systems in the various states. While the elector's votes usually reflected the will of the voters in their states there was no requirement for them to do so at all. And therefore sometimes they didn't.
What Savael is stating is what is happening, not what is written as law.
Reading comprehension again King. He described something as "the way the system was supposed to work" but it wasn't. I have no argument with the rest of his post.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Xantavia
Serveur: Phoenix
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2016-12-22 15:18:09
Link | Citer | R

And honestly, much like the draft of the Vietnam era, someone from that kind of background could easily slip away from said service through one of many exemptions.
Hey now, bone spurs in your foot is a totally serious, debilitating condition. Even if you can't remember afterwards exactly which foot was causing the problem.
First Page 2 3 ... 36 37 38 ... 39 40 41