Hillary Clinton 2016 Presidential Thread

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Hillary Clinton 2016 Presidential Thread
Hillary Clinton 2016 Presidential Thread
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 ... 71 72 73
By Ramyrez 2016-08-19 10:46:59
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Candlejack said: »
Ramyrez said: »
Skjalfeirdotter said: »
As for NASA ("Never A Straight Answer"), the majority of that "secret technology" is more under the control of the Office of Naval Intelligence and other groups in a joint effort.

NASA has done more for this country on a smaller budget than you can even conceive.
Fact: Without NASA, we would not have the wonderful invention known as the Microwave Oven, and a whole slew of other inventions.

I never understood this line of thinking, and I've heard variations of the following phrase way too often: "If it hadn't been for (insert inventor here), we wouldn't have (insert invention here)".

Ignoring the fact that NASA didn't actually invent the microwave oven, just because someone thought of something first or got to the patent office first doesn't mean nobody else would have ever pulled it off. For many major inventions, it has often gone like this: "If it hadn't been for (insert inventor here), we would've had (insert invention here) within a few days/months/years of that anyway." That's not to say that there haven't been genius inventions that have been ahead of their time, but it's naive to think that no one else would have thought of a vast majority of them eventually.

Trying not to get reported too many times for being off topic, but my being a very strong proponent for NASA and the space program tends to encompass a wide variety of scientific, cultural, and national elements so it's hard to do a "TL;DR" version.

Short version: you're right.

Slightly longer version, but trying to TL;DR:

In NASA you have an organization that has almost always innovated for great cost effectiveness and while doing so has proved to be a source of national bonding and pride. They're as much a symbol as they are a productive entity and I think they do both remarkably well, all things considered. There have been tragedies and mistakes along the way, but that is life. That is the cost of progress. Much like soldiers (some of the, in fact, were military men and women), no one who has ever signed up for the space program has done so not knowing their chances of premature death increase drastically. You're aiming yourself at space sitting on what is literally a giant explosive device. You're Wile E. Coyote'ing yourself to the stairs. They do so knowing all the positives that come with it for themselves and their nation. In my eyes every member of the space program that has perished is a hero on par with the finest of wartime heroes; they've given their lives in the name of the advancement of their country and the human race as a whole.

And again, all on a budget that is shamed by that of many less productive government investments (and I'll leave it to you to pick and choose which you think are worthwhile and not, that's a different discussion.)
[+]

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-19 11:01:28
Link | Citer | R

THE VIDEO THAT NO AMERICAN WANTS YOU TO SEE.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-08-19 11:03:37
Link | Citer | R

Candlejack said: »
Skjalfeirdotter said: »
As for NASA ("Never A Straight Answer"), the majority of that "secret technology" is more under the control of the Office of Naval Intelligence and other groups in a joint effort.

NASA has done more for this country on a smaller budget than you can even conceive.
Fact: Without NASA, we would not have the wonderful invention known as the Microwave Oven, and a whole slew of other inventions.

I never understood this line of thinking, and I've heard variations of the following phrase way too often: "If it hadn't been for (insert inventor here), we wouldn't have (insert invention here)".

Ignoring the fact that NASA didn't actually invent the microwave oven, just because someone thought of something first or got to the patent office first doesn't mean nobody else would have ever pulled it off. For many major inventions, it has often gone like this: "If it hadn't been for (insert inventor here), we would've had (insert invention here) within a few days/months/years of that anyway." That's not to say that there haven't been genius inventions that have been ahead of their time, but it's naive to think that no one else would have thought of a vast majority of them eventually.
Would they have? Would it be a long any similar kind of timeline? Fact is that there are certain people that have significantly changed the world with their ideas and actions... There isn't always a substitute and in some cases you might wait another year or hundred years to be developed... It could change the entire development of a nation and the world... What if a bomb hadn't been invented when it was? What if it had been invented by the Japanese instead? Waiting months or another year or ten years can have a significant impact...

Regardless of any of that history is set in stone and it's already taken place... You can objectively look back and see who did what and look at the effects it had on individuals and societies... Saying oh well you know someone else would have thought of it eventually is just silly and completely disregards a persons or group of people contributions to something... Plus it's completely irrelevant as the past is the past and it won't change...
[+]
By eliroo 2016-08-19 11:05:12
Link | Citer | R

For many major inventions, it has often gone like this: "If it hadn't been for (insert inventor here), we would've had (insert invention here) within a few days/months/years of that anyway." That's not to say that there haven't been genius inventions that have been ahead of their time, but it's naive to think that no one else would have thought of a vast majority of them eventually.

That type of ideology is based on hindsight. It is also impossible to prove. Saying it is naive to think that inventions would not exist if certain inventors invented them isn't to far from being a naive statement itself.

The possibility is definitely there but saying it would have happened for certain is based off of hindsight.

Even then though the invention may not have the same name or function the same so the statement "If "Name" didn't invent "Invention" we wouldn't have "invention" is true in every sense.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-19 11:15:18
Link | Citer | R

You're Wile E. Coyote'ing yourself to the stairs.

STARS. STARS, GOD DAMMIT YOU STUPID FINGERS AHHHH LET ME EDIT.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-19 11:25:07
Link | Citer | R

eliroo said: »
For many major inventions, it has often gone like this: "If it hadn't been for (insert inventor here), we would've had (insert invention here) within a few days/months/years of that anyway." That's not to say that there haven't been genius inventions that have been ahead of their time, but it's naive to think that no one else would have thought of a vast majority of them eventually.

That type of ideology is based on hindsight. It is also impossible to prove. Saying it is naive to think that inventions would not exist if certain inventors invented them isn't to far from being a naive statement itself.

The possibility is definitely there but saying it would have happened for certain is based off of hindsight.

Even then though the invention may not have the same name or function the same so the statement "If "Name" didn't invent "Invention" we wouldn't have "invention" is true in every sense.

You're trying too hard to fight me on this. Of course the inventions might have had different names or slightly different functions. That is far from the point, though.

Alexander Graham Bell? Beat his opponent to patent the telephone by two hours. Thomas Edison and the light bulb? Pfft, multiple people had been developing the idea for decades. He just managed to pull off a longer-burning one before winning the race to the patent office. How about television? So many people had worked on making television a reality that nobody can seem to agree who the actual inventor was.

I was voicing my annoyance with Candlejack's statement because people make claims that we would be without certain life-changing technologies if so-and-so hadn't thought of them decades/centuries/millennia ago, when in many cases that simply isn't true. Necessity is the mother of invention.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-19 11:57:20
Link | Citer | R

Last two pages:

Seriously off topic.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-19 12:02:35
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Last two pages:

Seriously off topic.

Welcome to Decision 2016.
By fonewear 2016-08-19 12:21:14
Link | Citer | R

Last two pages:

Seriously off topic.

What was the topic again ? Oh yea Hillary bad Trump good.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-19 12:35:31
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
Last two pages:

Seriously off topic.

What was the topic again ? Oh yea Hillary bad Trump goodbad, they're all bad, where's the god damn whiskey?.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-08-19 13:48:28
Link | Citer | R

Last two pages:

Seriously off topic.

not unlike kyle's mom, Hillary Clinton is a big fat ***!

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-19 15:09:42
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Last two pages:

Seriously off topic.

not unlike kyle's mom, Hillary Clinton is a big fat ***!

This song was very popular among my friends the summer South Park really caught on. (I wanna say it was like 98?)
 Siren.Lordgrim
Serveur: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-08-21 13:24:09
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
“We’ve had a conservative media in this country for a while,” says the email, sent Thursday and signed by deputy communications director Christina Reynolds. “I don’t always like what they have to say, but I respect their role and their right to exist Reynolds’ acknowledgment that the regular conservative media has a “right to exist,” though, is used to contrast it with Breitbart, which apparently has no such right. “Breitbart is something different,” she says. “They make Fox News look like a Democratic Party pamphlet. They’re a different breed altogether — not just conservative but radical, bigoted, anti-Muslim, anti-Semitic conspiracy peddlers who never have been and never should be anywhere near the levers of power in this country.”

One of the goals of Clinton’s campaign, Reynolds says, is to ensure Breitbart is destroyed.
[+]
 Asura.Regicide
Serveur: Asura
user: voiceless
By Asura.Regicide 2016-08-21 15:02:53
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Asura.Valyrian
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Valyrian 2016-08-21 15:35:02
Link | Citer | R

Last two pages:

Seriously off topic.

What was the topic again ? Oh yea Hillary bad Trump good.

Now that that's cleared up, how's everyone's day?
By Titanfoo 2016-08-21 15:43:06
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Conini
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Conini
By Carbuncle.Conini 2016-08-21 16:21:25
Link | Citer | R

This thread isn't locked yet?
[+]
By anik 2016-08-21 18:32:55
Link | Citer | R

Hilary: Now I wanna let everyone know what i carry in my purse :D Two things I always have in it, and hot sauce is one of them. :D

Black radio show hosts: >.>
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hilary: We were broke after Bill left the white house, we were on the verge of selling our houses.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
HOUSES! Not house. HOUSES!
Yeah, she's intelligent...
Hilary for Prison :D
[+]
By fonewear 2016-08-21 18:36:02
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Conini said: »
This thread isn't locked yet?

This thread made it to 3 pages that is longer than I expected !

Also to make thread more authentic it should delete itself before the FBI investigates !

Great minds think alike !
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-08-22 01:51:35
Link | Citer | R

Only a Hillary Clinton supporter or Clinton foundation member would say that and or course Obama, and Attorney general Lynch
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-08-22 07:42:16
Link | Citer | R

Hillary Clinton in Black History

The Democrat President Lyndon Johnson who replaced Kennedy after his assassination helped further the Welfare State. We have to understand the truth that is not being told any longer. The following quotes are LBJ quotes:

“I’ll have those *** voting Democratic for the next 200 years.” —Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

“These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference.”—LBJ

He achieved the impossible after the passing of the Civil Rights Act 1964, the Voting Rights Act 1965 and the Great Society programs. After that Blacks became solid supporters of the Democratic Party.

(A piece of irony is that Democrats got the credit for passing the Civil Rights Act 1964 because LBJ opposed the Eisenhower Civil Rights Act 1957 in its original form. Otherwise, Republicans would have gotten the credit.)
By Ramyrez 2016-08-22 07:53:51
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Regicide said: »

Saw a good tolerable bumper sticker the other day (I still think you're an idiot if you put a bumper sticker on a car):

"Johnson 2016: Make America Sane Again!"

Not sure I 100% agree with the veracity of the statement, but it was funny either way.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-22 09:35:02
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Lordgrim said: »

Yet another murder by the ruthless Clinton machine no doubt.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-08-22 10:00:50
Link | Citer | R

Someone tried to climb up the Ecuador Embassy - where Julian Assange is, likely attempt to kill him or steal his devices.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-22 10:21:44
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Someone tried to climb up the Ecuador Embassy - where Julian Assange is, likely attempt to kill him or steal his devices.

You sure this doesn't belong in P&R, maybe with a link?
By Ramyrez 2016-08-22 10:21:50
Link | Citer | R

Random P&R***
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-08-22 10:35:43
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »

You sure this doesn't belong in P&R, maybe with a link?

Given Wikileaks being behind the DNC leaks very recently, I think this is relevent to Hillary as President.
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 ... 71 72 73