Random Politics & Religion #02

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #02
Random Politics & Religion #02
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 38 39 40
 Leviathan.Kincard
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2016-04-17 09:05:16
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »
There is a line one doesn't cross and this is it. Preemptively taking away someones free will out of fear is morally reprehensible. It's akin to rape, or putting someone in jail because they are statistically likely commit a crime.

Seriously it's no different then gathering up all the young impoverished children from single parent households and putting them in prison for life because they are the highest category to commit crime. Doing this would most certainly lower the crime rare, but the moral costs to the society would far outweigh the benefits.

And using some great unthinkable punishment is just as bad. If I put a gun to your head and tell you to give me your money, are you doing so out of free will? How different is it if I put a gun to your head and tell you to get vaccinated or get your children vaccinated?

You probably shouldn't try to make a point about fearmongering when you're basically using the same tactic, except on the opposite end, with examples worthy of a dystopian sci-fi universe. Make sure to cast Tom Cruise in the lead role and you might have a winner.

Considering how you've also made plenty of posts in the past which basically argue that government in general is just a more polite way of pointing guns at citizens to enforce laws (even for something as simple as paying for a ticket, since not paying for it means you can eventually get arrested), unless you have changed in that view (or you're an anarchist) I can only conclude that you think the implicit threat of violence from government is okay under certain circumstances. A declaration that you're a pragmatist certainly would imply that.

FTR I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your overall position, I'm pointing out that you are not being consistent in your positions. You can't dismiss something you personally don't find important with "I'm a pragmatist" and then backtrack on that attitude when it happens to be a principle you happen to care a lot more about. That's called having a double standard.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-17 09:13:37
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Because I find it funny that you always speak up against conspiracy theories, but what you just described could qualify as one.

If you haven't noticed every time he does, he uses "false equivalence" and hyperbole and it leads to giving credence and validation to the very thing he is trying to discredit.

For instance, and I was really hoping someone would have done the math so it didn't have to be me.

They don't hide because there is no need to hide, no grand conspiracy, no men in red smoking jackets sitting in a dimly lit room discussing how they are going to continue secretly ruling the world. What you have is a bunch, hundreds even, of individuals with access to both financial and political resources, each with different goals and desires. Often those goals align and alliances of convenience will form, those alliances will break when that convenience ends. Sometimes these alliances will pool their resources to support a particular political cause, and another set of alliances will support an opposing political cause. Support shifts and there are even those who play both sides against the other, bartering favors and resources for similiar currency.

The bold and italicized is critical here because its what destroys everything in this long winded waste of a time of a post. Hundreds out of 7.6 Billion people. On the high end (900) is 0.00000001% of the population, insert that number and it totally validates everything they're trying to disprove.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-04-17 11:38:16
Link | Citer | R

Anna Ruthven said: »
Oklahoma badly since other states think we're all trailer trash

This is why I was having trouble figuring out what problem you guys had with it...
 Bahamut.Milamber
Serveur: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-17 12:37:43
Link | Citer | R

Forcing people to get vaccinations, without their consent, is the same as rape.
What the ever-loving ***?
[+]
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-17 12:47:33
Link | Citer | R

I knew a girl who was vaccinated one time, guys. Don't joke about this ***. :(
[+]
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-17 13:00:48
Link | Citer | R

WAITAMINUTE

Is that what V-Trigger stands for in Street Fighter 5?
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2016-04-17 15:37:13
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Finally a note on doctors and the Hippocratic Oath. That oath requires all doctors to do no harm. That means they can't consciously choose an action that would result in harm being down to a patient or to the population in general.

This oath extends to lying. If telling the truth would result in possibly death or injury to a patient or to the general population, the doctor is required to withhold that truth. I'm not making this up, it's an actual question on their exams.
The oath itself doesn't even contain the phrase "do no harm", even though it goes without saying. You're trying to refer to the oath as some sort of holy text that legally binds all physicians and that they must follow literally (because that's all what your leap of logic is based on really), which is wrong.

If anything from the oath applies to the scenario you listed about fatherhood, it's patient's privacy.

Quote:
Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Is this your personal interpretation, or did you read this somewhere? Because I find it funny that you always speak up against conspiracy theories, but what you just described could qualify as one.

That is a question from a medical exam on ethics that all medical doctors are required to pass. The question takes many forms but always comes down to a moral question regarding withholding or denying information if it's dangerous.
Withholding information from the father is appropriate because he's not the patient. I'm not sure about outright lying to him (I'll discuss this with my attending tomorrow).

That said, I wasn't asking about said question. I was asking about the logic you used to arrive at the conclusion that this question pertaining to confidentiality somehow means medical associations at large lie for our own good. That's quite the leap, and you're sowing distrust in the medical community. Unless you demonstrate evidence, you're committing the very same morally-reprehensible thing you're arguing against: fear-mongering.

If it's the part about how vaccines work that the medical associations are hiding, well that's something only you think. Pleebo replied to that part, but perhaps you have him blocked. Either that or you conveniently just ignored his post.

It's funny how you keep going back to "but this is not how vaccines work! Prof. Saevel will teach you plebs how it works!" when perhaps nobody has demonstrated any lack of understanding regarding this topic. And even then, I don't see how people learning about how vaccines actually work would result in some of them opting out (i.e. there's no reason for medical associations to lie about this).

Stop oversimplifying every field or topic just so that you can give yourself a sense of understanding everything.
By Jetackuu 2016-04-17 16:04:06
Link | Citer | R

I was going to comment on the blatant misunderstanding. I opted to eat a sandwich instead.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-17 16:15:37
Link | Citer | R

The vax-culture is rough in the OK.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-17 16:17:32
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

The vax-culture is rough in the OK.
#DieVaxScum
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-17 16:18:37
Link | Citer | R

I'm gonna make that the name of my XIV character Dievax Scum.. or Mike Litoris.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
Serveur: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2016-04-17 16:22:17
Link | Citer | R

I had Dixienormous and they mad me change it.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2016-04-17 21:15:23
Link | Citer | R

Brasil said yes to a new beginning.

I guess, there is still hope for a better home.
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2016-04-17 21:39:56
Link | Citer | R

Pantafernando said: »
Brasil said yes to a new beginning.

I guess, there is still hope for a better home.

From da Silva to Rousseff, at least the decision was made for a clean break no? I understand that with the proceedings seemingly going through, that Terner (of the PMDB) will take the position over in the interim?

Hopefully he has more popular goodwill behind him than that which the Worker's Party had squandered so badly since the last election.
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-18 07:58:12
Link | Citer | R

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/brooklyn-mass-stabbing-leaves-3-dead-3-injured-article-1.1497822

I want to use this opportunity to push my knife control agenda.

This article shows why we need tighter knife control laws. Anyone who buys a knife should have a background check and waiting period before they can get their knife.

We also need to put a ban altogether on automatic assault knives. If this knife had not had a 30 round clip and fully automatic fire, just think of the lives that could have been saved.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-18 08:05:40
Link | Citer | R

Grumpy Cat said: »
automatic assault knives

I didn't even realize this was a thing. How can I get one?

Related quote from one of my very favorite books:

Quote:
He had never before even guessed at the existence of such a thing. And to be able to move from total ignorance of something to total desire for it, and then actually to own the thing all within the space of about forty seconds was, for Dirk, something of an epiphany.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-18 08:08:01
Link | Citer | R

Here's the funny thing; at the time this was going on, the daughter was 28 and was said to be living there with her husband and one of her husband's adult sons. So, that means the son is either over 18 or over 21...and his stepmother is 28. #OklahomaIsOK!

Uh.

I mean, AM...

...didn't you describe this exact same scenario in your family recently?

Are these items related?

That is to say...are you related? <_<;
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2016-04-18 08:26:52
Link | Citer | R

Grumpy Cat said: »

Now is not the time to talk knife control.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-18 10:01:57
Link | Citer | R

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-18 10:17:00
Link | Citer | R

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/45-of-americans-pay-no-federal-income-tax-2016-02-24

Quote:
An estimated 45.3% of American households — roughly 77.5 million — will pay no federal individual income tax, according to data for the 2015 tax year from the Tax Policy Center, a nonpartisan Washington-based research group. (Note that this does not necessarily mean they won’t owe their states income tax.)

Also see: Americans pay more in taxes than for housing, food, clothes combined

Roughly half pay no federal income tax because they have no taxable income

Post deleted by User.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-18 10:25:40
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
We should go to a cashless society so all transactions have a log and we can make sure people aren't paying under the table with cash that won't be taxed.

Good luck with that..

Post deleted by User.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-18 11:53:57
Link | Citer | R

Do you realize how crazy that sounds? I'm guessing not.. smh
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-18 11:55:16
Link | Citer | R

Woöoooooooooooosh
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-18 11:57:07
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
Here's the funny thing; at the time this was going on, the daughter was 28 and was said to be living there with her husband and one of her husband's adult sons. So, that means the son is either over 18 or over 21...and his stepmother is 28. #OklahomaIsOK!

Uh.

I mean, AM...

...didn't you describe this exact same scenario in your family recently?

Are these items related?

That is to say...are you related? <_<;
Not my family, niece's BF's family.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-18 11:58:21
Link | Citer | R

Are you younger than your niece?
By Altimaomega 2016-04-18 11:59:26
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Woöoooooooooooosh

Classic. When you actually have something to say let me know.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 38 39 40