Turkey-EU Deal On Refugee Issue

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Turkey-EU Deal on Refugee issue
Turkey-EU Deal on Refugee issue
 Bismarck.Leneth
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Leneth 2016-03-09 08:21:37
Link | Citer | R

The final details of what this deal consists of has yet to be negotiated on the next summit on the 17th and 18th March.
Known are only 4 key points but even those are not really clear yet, many newssites have mixed details on those, that is why I won't provide an article as basis.

The 4 key points are:
-6bn € for Turkey
mixed info wether it goes directly to Turkish officials or NGOs
-Turkey accepts all refugees back landing on Greece via sea, but therefor the EU takes people directly from Turkey
This point is a mess to research and the main reason why I have not provided an article. Only consistant thing is a 1 for 1 trade ratio, but who is counted for this trade is not clear yet and what happens with the others.
-VISA-free entrance to the EU for Turkish Citizen (no details to be found on this one)
-Open 5 Chapters simultaneously for negotiation about Turkey becoming a member of the EU

If I forgot something I will add it to the list once you let me know.

After we got the basics out of the way, what do you Europeans think of the planned deal? Breakthrough like Merkel claimed or is it the wrong way like the EU parliament's resistance seems to indicate and what would be your favourite way?
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2016-03-10 16:32:09
Link | Citer | R

According to polls it's one of the biggest themes in Europe and noone of our EU citizen wants to voice an opinion?

Well then I go first.
I am against the deal. Turkey asks for too much and will continue to ask for more. Europe should be in controle of dealing with the Refugee issue or the UN. But not a sole 3rd nation. The deal doesn't even sound like it would reach its aim like fewer Refugees coming here. We would need a new solution anyways for the next few months when hundred thousands (who are already physically waiting there for better weather) come via the Libya and tunisia route.

In my opinion the long term goal should be a reform within the UN about Refugees. Something along the lines of UN-territory, safe zones protected by Blue-Helemts. Keeping groups of Refugees to gather and use knowledge that is already within those groups, doctors/teachers ect. and pay them for their work. Pay the ones who can teach others a profession as well and provide the materials for it. That would help to keep societies of the ones who flee intact to a certain point and costs way fewer money. For Example in Germany the costs for 1.5million Refugees are 22bn € per year. If one compares that with the demands by the UN for way more people outside of Europe it is clear that we could help more people and better with the same amount of money.
But why should it be the UN? Simple the outlook for the world in 2050 are tree times the amount of todays Refugees. So around 200M and a large amount will also be in South America with quite a few will have the USA as destination. China will face their share as well. It will be a global pressing matter and UN is the only real global instituation where we can regulate these things.
If we don't start with that soon it will either erode all our systems in the developed countries when we are overwhelmed or we have to give up humanism, aleady after just achieving it as mankind, when we/our children will see the pictures on TV in 30 years how our soldiers (if we even find soldiers who are able to do it) mass shoot unarmed civilians at our borders.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-10 16:37:07
Link | Citer | R

Erdogan is one the leaders I trust the least in the world. I wouldn't even let this guy offer me a drink, let alone decide geopolitics onesidedly.

Turkey has to stay under EU/NATO conditions, not the other way around. Especially while they play Risk with potential enemies.
[+]