Just finished installing FFXI on my stepdaughter's computer. Everything is set up and ready to go. We log her in, and the weirdest thing happens:
All of the gamepad controls are wrong. Unlike with other gamepad problems, the gamepad works-- it just doesn't seem to be reading the config file at all. Like if you want to walk forward, you must push the stick down, and all of the buttons do something-- just not what we want them to do. We even tried two completely different Logitech gamepads and the same thing happened on both.
No matter what we put into the Gamepad config (under ToolsUS) the results are the same. We can even completely disable the gamepad yet it still works under its wacky default configuration. We even tried configuring it under Tools and ToolsEU and nothing changed.
TL;DR version:
* The gamepad itself does work. The sticks and all of the buttons do something.
* It simply is not reading the gamepad config at all.
I think a recent update broke this config method. I recently went through the same trying to map a PS2 controller to my PC, I took a screenshot of each config change I made to figure out which button truly meant what.
It's just kind of strange because on my own computer, and my son's computer, the gamepad config works just fine. They were all set up and installed in exactly the same way.
I think a recent update broke this config method. I recently went through the same trying to map a PS2 controller to my PC, I took a screenshot of each config change I made to figure out which button truly meant what.
It's been working fine for me since the update after they enabled x-input support (well the old method still worked even then, just the x-input stuff didn't).
1) Open regedit
2) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Wow6432Node -> PLAYONLINE(US or EU or JP, whatever you are) -> SquareEnix -> FinalFantasyXI
3) Screenshot at your padmode000 and padsin000 values (windows key, type "snip", open). padmode000 is the checkboxes and padsin000 is key assignment, I think.
4) Open the config program, change some of the buttons, hit save
5) Switch back to regedit, hit F5
6) Compare the current padmode000 and padsin000 values to the old ones.
If they changed, then the issue probably isn't in the config program writing the values. If they didn't, you should just modify them directly in memory copying the numbers from your working computer. Using XBOX360 drivers with a PS3 controller, my values are:
padmode000: 1,0,1,1,0,1
padsin000: 8,9,13,12,10,0,1,3,2,15,-1,-1,14,-33,-33,32,32,-36,-36,35,35,6,7,5,4,11,-1
1) Open regedit
2) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Wow6432Node -> PLAYONLINE(US or EU or JP, whatever you are) -> SquareEnix -> FinalFantasyXI
3) Screenshot at your padmode000 and padsin000 values (windows key, type "snip", open). padmode000 is the checkboxes and padsin000 is key assignment, I think.
4) Open the config program, change some of the buttons, hit save
5) Switch back to regedit, hit F5
6) Compare the current padmode000 and padsin000 values to the old ones.
If they changed, then the issue probably isn't in the config program writing the values. If they didn't, you should just modify them directly in memory copying the numbers from your working computer. Using XBOX360 drivers with a PS3 controller, my values are:
padmode000: 1,0,1,1,0,1
padsin000: 8,9,13,12,10,0,1,3,2,15,-1,-1,14,-33,-33,32,32,-36,-36,35,35,6,7,5,4,11,-1
This is pure genius. It worked beautifully. I cannot thank you enough! Basically all I had to do was plug my step-daughter's gamepad into my computer, configure it, then copy the Regedit values onto her computer.
Now the gamepad works exactly as it should. It doesn't really matter now, but I still wonder how this happened in the first place.
Just finished installing FFXI on my stepdaughter's computer. Everything is set up and ready to go. We log her in, and the weirdest thing happens:
All of the gamepad controls are wrong. Unlike with other gamepad problems, the gamepad works-- it just doesn't seem to be reading the config file at all. Like if you want to walk forward, you must push the stick down, and all of the buttons do something-- just not what we want them to do. We even tried two completely different Logitech gamepads and the same thing happened on both.
No matter what we put into the Gamepad config (under ToolsUS) the results are the same. We can even completely disable the gamepad yet it still works under its wacky default configuration. We even tried configuring it under Tools and ToolsEU and nothing changed.
TL;DR version:
* The gamepad itself does work. The sticks and all of the buttons do something.
* It simply is not reading the gamepad config at all.