Death Testing

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Death testing
Death testing
By cowardlybabooon 2015-09-24 19:00:07
Link | Citer | R

What I can't solve for death is the fact that I have a lot more MP in my death set than others and therefore can't use my precast gear. I guess another precast set is the only option?
 Asura.Pintseyes
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: yurmy123
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-24 21:37:30
Link | Citer | R

cowardlybabooon said: »
What I can't solve for death is the fact that I have a lot more MP in my death set than others and therefore can't use my precast gear. I guess another precast set is the only option?

If you use gearswap setup a function to lock the set during precast whenever you cast death.
By cowardlybabooon 2015-09-27 11:16:49
Link | Citer | R

Yeah that's what I did but my casting time is a lot slower than I would like, making double magic bursts harder if not timed perfectly. I guess I just need a special MP heavy fast cast set for death precast.
 Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-27 11:26:53
Link | Citer | R

I've personally found Dble bursting with one spell being death is a bit rough compared to a normal element. When I death burst I normally end up throwing down a tier2 as my second due to time. You could always burst backwards, tier spell first to get FC, death second.

This is a good question for this thread. As for myself I have a hard time dble bursting death with a tier 6. Since I'm so bad at it I'm wondering a few things.

1. Are people able to burst death and a tier 6 in enough time?

2. If not why would we do it? Two tier 6's typically out dd's one death and a lower tier. I personally have yet to oneshot a mob with death, so for myself, it's all about the big numbers.
 Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-09-27 11:33:37
Link | Citer | R

cowardlybabooon said: »
Yeah that's what I did but my casting time is a lot slower than I would like, making double magic bursts harder if not timed perfectly. I guess I just need a special MP heavy fast cast set for death precast.

Another option. You could only lock certain items or set_combine. Think of it this way, you could slow cast 1 death for 1 burst of say 60k, or you could lock some fc items, lose a little dps to add a second burst that would out DD the items you remove for fc. The huge burst is nice but the total outcome of the burst is what really matters. If a few fc pieces allow you to dble burst but you lose 10k, second burst does 40k, ya the death isn't a dps cap but to do the two in a row can break 99k, one won't =)
By ibm2431 2015-10-06 02:57:53
Link | Citer | R

So I got Death last week, and it has done nothing but disappoint me every time I cast it. My Tier VIs consistently do more damage when I'm at any MP value below full. Tonight I tried it off a Darkness MB on August, at full MP, and it only did 40k. A far cry from the 99k+ screenshots I've seen that made me want the spell.

How is one supposed to gear for it? Old wiki says it's based on MP and MAB, but by the formula it gave I should already be doing capped damage - unless the Chapuli NM in Ceizak has over 60 Magic Defense Bonus (by formula I should be hitting 900k+, but only did 15k).

I'm guessing Pixie Hairpin +1 (which aren't in stock atm, so I'm running MAB+25 Helios Band). I've stacked MB Bonus (+36%) and MAB in other slots, but the spell still lets me down. What am I doing wrong? What should I be wearing?
By geigei 2015-10-06 03:24:17
Link | Citer | R

I have bis gear short of +1 amalric and 99k happens rarely, when it does doing double mb 6 and ja i end up with more dmg, so far i found out death useless on nm's i do. Mind i always run 2 or 3 geo from which 2 idris.
 Asura.Ivlilla
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-10-06 06:35:46
Link | Citer | R

ibm2431 said: »
So I got Death last week, and it has done nothing but disappoint me every time I cast it. My Tier VIs consistently do more damage when I'm at any MP value below full. Tonight I tried it off a Darkness MB on August, at full MP, and it only did 40k. A far cry from the 99k+ screenshots I've seen that made me want the spell.

How is one supposed to gear for it? Old wiki says it's based on MP and MAB, but by the formula it gave I should already be doing capped damage - unless the Chapuli NM in Ceizak has over 60 Magic Defense Bonus (by formula I should be hitting 900k+, but only did 15k).

I'm guessing Pixie Hairpin +1 (which aren't in stock atm, so I'm running MAB+25 Helios Band). I've stacked MB Bonus (+36%) and MAB in other slots, but the spell still lets me down. What am I doing wrong? What should I be wearing?

It could be that the spell inherently has a huge penalty to magic accuracy, so that you're extremely unlikely to ever get a fully unresisted shot off for maximum damage. It could also be that NMs purposefully have an inherent resistance to it.

I was under the impression that death effects, like with Odin, were extremely unreliable and shitty to start with, and had major issues with NMs to the point that they were practically worthless on them.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [43 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-11-17 20:01:53
Link | Citer | R

I added info to the Death page:
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Death

The exchange rate for me with Laev and AM2 up is 1 MAB for 4 MP. Obviously you need to fill the MP up for it to really be that good of an exchange rate, but if you're prepping for some super MB you may be able to.

I have not seen a resist thus far.
 Bismarck.Cloudxi
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Cloudxi 2015-11-17 20:41:42
Link | Citer | R

just for the fun of it, blm friend used death on me in pvp, i was on rune and he couldn't kill me lol
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [137 days between previous and next post]
By Dsuza 2016-04-02 10:35:20
Link | Citer | R

Hey everyone, I'm not really good at figuring this sort of stuff out, so if someone could help I would really appreciate it.

Well I know the formula(s) for Death are talked about in this thread, and listed on the BG Death page:

(MP×3 + Magic Damage)×(MAB/MDB)×(Affinity)×(Day/Weather)
Unaffected by Zodiac Ring.
Magic Damage term caps at 32 for Death.

I'm curious about a few things.

I know it probably says it in that formula, but for example at what point does MAB do more DMG then MP?

An example I'm asking for is.(And I'll give a simple even number) Let's say you have the choice to add 100 MP to a slot. How much MAB would be better/do more DMG then the 100 MP?

Also, what does "Magic DMG caps at 32 for Death"? Is it something simple like +32 of the Magic DMG Stat (Which is like on every staff) Or does it mean something totally different?

Thank you!
 Fenrir.Ramzus
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2016-04-02 10:41:24
Link | Citer | R

1) Depends on monster MDB since the value of the term is dependent on the denominator. I.e. if the monster MDB is 10 it'll increase by 1/10 per MAB vs the monster MDB is 50 it'll increase by 1/50 per MAB.

I usually just set MDB to some static value in a spreadsheet and play around with it and compare how the two terms change the total damage. It's better to use real gear examples than theoretical increase in MP/MAB. Another thing to note is that MP is useless if you aren't casting at full MP, so it's good to build a set for both cases.

2) Yes, the MP/MDmg term is literally just (MPx3 + 32)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1105 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Vikter
Serveur: Odin
user: Vikter
By Odin.Vikter 2019-04-11 23:31:06
Link | Citer | R

Does it count ur mp pool on cast or just remaining mp on cast?

Like if I’m at 1500/1500mp and I gearswap into the ring that converts 110 hp to mp, I’m at 1500/1610, cast death, is it using the 1500mp for dmg after it consumes it all or is it calculating the 1610mp then consuming the 1500mp?
 Siren.Flannelman
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Flannelman 2019-04-11 23:45:59
Link | Citer | R

converts hp to mp doesnt actually give you any mp, so in your case it would be calculated with 1500mp
By Shichishito 2019-04-12 00:51:49
Link | Citer | R

@vikter the death damage is depending on your current MP. means if you have 1500 max mp in your idle set and then try to switch to your death set midcast that would leave you with 1500/2100 MP the death damage is still calculated as if you would have been casting with 1500 MP.

for that reason if you go for a death strategy you should make a death toggle mode that ensures that your max MP stays very high thru all sets and not just midcast. you'll also have to refill your MP afterwards so don't swap out your staff. BLMs native occult acumen will leave you with lots of TP after death which you can use for myrkr to get most of your MP back instantly.