returning to BLU after 3 year break
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Ragnarok.Traubiont
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Traubiont
By Ragnarok.Traubiont 2014-12-04 11:25:11
Link | Citer | R

Ok so I'm coming back to playing after a three year break. Been doing alot of reading lately to catch up on new contcontent. Was hoping to get some advice on a few things. First I was capped on skills at blu 88 when I left. I cleaved to 99.ive been having all sorts of trouble learning new spells and getting blu magic skill ups. My blu Magic is floating around 344 with af+1 body and relic head. I'm going to guess I'm having problems learning new high level spells due to low skill. Would anyone be so kind as to affirm my assumtpion? Second even with the lvl 99 ilvl gear for skill ups I'm getting almost no skill ups while getting sword skill ups at similar level on the same mobs. Could anyone suggest good mobs with zone to un gimp myself? Also what Stat mods if any have been discovered to aid spell learning or is it still just relic head af body and hands and cross fingers kind of deal? Any help would be gravely appreciated. Thanks in advance
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Serveur: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2014-12-04 11:52:13
Link | Citer | R

Try and cap your blue magic before you go out and learn. That would be my advice as that does influence your learning abilities as you might have noticed.

Sign up for RoE if you haven't already and gain as many sparks and buy the skill-learning books to cap. You can also shout and see if anyone is willing to sell you some books. (blue magic is 'Life-Form Study' book)

When you're attempting to learn a spell, equip DMG:1 weapons, and fulltime your blue magic + gear. Most importantly, you'll want to have your AF hands equipped. If you reforge them, even better.

Cast Dia, or Bio along with your dual-DMG 1 weapons and kill the mob once you see your target perform the spell. Hopefully you'll learn it.

If you're looking for a decent skillup mob/zone to ungimp yourself, a nice place I liked that I found was in Vunk-Inlet (S) H-7. There are a billion crabs by the bridge. None aggro, none link, and they'll cap all your skills at level 99

Here are some great resources for BLU that I found along the way. Good luck

The Blue Mage Hunting Grounds

BlueMage Spell Guide

P.S. Welcome back to the best job in the game :)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Traubiont
By Ragnarok.Traubiont 2014-12-04 12:46:31
Link | Citer | R

Awesome thanks so much. Those links are fantastic. Wish I had known about them years ago.
 Ragnarok.Traubiont
By Ragnarok.Traubiont 2014-12-04 12:50:39
Link | Citer | R

How much can be gained from the RoE skill up book you mentioned?
 Siren.Sieha
Serveur: Siren
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2014-12-04 12:52:54
Link | Citer | R

each book can give .1-.5 on skill. higher you are the less likely the higher numbers appear. In the adoulin zones with ionis buff on you will get better numbers.
 Ragnarok.Traubiont
By Ragnarok.Traubiont 2014-12-04 12:56:34
Link | Citer | R

That seseems like it is a decent option for a small chunk. I found mention of skill up food on another page do you know anything about that? I already have the gear.
 Asura.Reichleiu
Serveur: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-12-04 12:57:33
Link | Citer | R

It would also make sense to get trust NPCs for skillup rate (I don't recall which one effects magic if someone else can chyme in) and head to colonization reives.

You just be able to find a spot at certain reives where you can just spam blue magic on yourself and the objective. Ionis + Trust + reives is the best way to skillup anything as you are given skillup bonuses in reives.

Took my marksmanship from 45- capped in 2 days doing this. While it is going to be a bit more challenging for BLU magic, it should still be viable.

As for food, you want B.W. Pitaru for magic skills.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2014-12-04 13:25:49
Link | Citer | R

Moogle trust helps raise your magic skillup, Sakura trust helps raise your melee skillup

Skillup food info is here: Skill up Food
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-12-04 14:27:44
Link | Citer | R

Yes, the moogle trust. Although, I'm not 100% sure that you can obtain that anymore and I am way to preoccupied with "Work" to go look it up.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2014-12-04 14:43:28
Link | Citer | R

Not available at the moment. Unless he has a Mog Pell (Red) which he can opt to choose Moogle if so
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-12-04 14:48:29
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dannyl said: »
Not available at the moment. Unless he has a Mog Pell (Red) which he can opt to choose Moogle if so

Depending on when he re-registered for FFXI, he would have a Mog Pell (Red) in his d-box somewhere.
 Asura.Natenn
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2014-12-04 15:01:34
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Reichleiu said: »

Depending on when he re-registered for FFXI, he would have a Mog Pell (Red) in his d-box somewhere.
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-12-04 15:10:11
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Natenn said: »

Someone delete this post! Quick! It's offensive and irrelevant!

:3

Bun Bun.. I'm going to post parse results where you lost to a Ryu DRG if you don't leave immediately.

Seriously though.. back on topic. OP, you may have the Red Mog Pell in your delivery box depending on when you re-joined the FFXI community. If you do, get the moogle as it is extremely helpful to have another skillup boost.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-12-04 15:10:47
Link | Citer | R

In addition to this, and the RECORDS OF EMINENCE post above, there is also Combat & Magic Skillup gear for sale at an extremely low spark price. It makes a difference if you add up food/moogle/gear (throw in a terminus/prouesse ring for magic/combat if you have it).

The books are fine for skills that are harder to level, though. I'd recommend NOT using them for Blue Magic, since that is BLU's primary skill and you can literally gain capped skill from spamming foot kick on a reive (which has zero defense evasion, can do it discreetly in the corner of a reive). If a monster aggros, just run out of the reive and run back in. Easiest skillups ever. The books can be used for jobs or skills that are really annoying to cap (like enfeebling and healing skill). I imagine that since your Main is BLU, you will get skillups very quickly if you sue it often anyways. But the books are OK if you're in a hurry (requires buying the books with sparks anyways, which takes time to farm the points).

Anyways, welcome back. BLU is the best job in FFXI, right before GEO. I recommend you start levelling that job as well, and send all of your High-Purity Bayld to Buukki, so that he can fund an Idrees.
[+]
 Asura.Natenn
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2014-12-04 16:12:24
Link | Citer | R

Someone delete this post! Quick! It's offensive and irrelevant!

:3

Bun Bun.. I'm going to post parse results where you lost to a Ryu DRG if you don't leave immediately.

Seriously though.. back on topic. OP, you may have the Red Mog Pell in your delivery box depending on when you re-joined the FFXI community. If you do, get the moogle as it is extremely helpful to have another skillup boost.

Which parse is that? the 1 i refused to WS on bc i kept getting dispelled bc i had hate full time bc your drg cant pull hate bc you cant do more dmg then i just stopped trying? yea go ahead post it

p.s.
bcbcbcbcbcbcbc
 Ragnarok.Traubiont
By Ragnarok.Traubiont 2014-12-04 16:48:59
Link | Citer | R

Looks like I only got MOG Pell (green) thanks for all the help everyone. Links were appreciated. I'm back on track
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-12-04 17:05:28
Link | Citer | R

If you're still on ragnarok, let me know. While I can probably help out fairly well even if you aren't, it's really useful to be able to directly help.
By Wordspoken 2014-12-05 01:20:08
Link | Citer | R

Did sandspin got nerfed? If not, round up some mobs lv 90-99+, spam sandspin, ???, enjoy capped blu magic skill.
 Leviathan.Goldengreg
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Goldengreg 2014-12-05 03:45:54
Link | Citer | R

When I did 65 => 80 3 years ago, as I played on Xbox360, I capped my blue magic while sleeping:

-Go to the past
-Get the Sigil with refresh
-Put on some refresh clothes
-Get an auto-fire pad controller
-Keep casting POLLEN on you

Capped in one night.

Now that I'm back in the game, I think I'll do the same when my BLU hit 99...
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2014-12-05 04:16:49
Link | Citer | R

I always found multi-hit physical spells to give fast skill ups. Or you could burn sparks on skill up books
 Siren.Sieha
By Siren.Sieha 2014-12-05 08:06:48
Link | Citer | R

I dont think the main issue will be capping magic. Its more of what other job will you level and gear to get drops for blu.
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-12-05 08:09:05
Link | Citer | R

Which parse is that? the 1 i refused to WS on bc i kept getting dispelled bc i had hate full time bc your drg cant pull hate bc you cant do more dmg then i just stopped trying? yea go ahead post it

DRG never pulls hate BunBun.. if they do they are doing it wrong. (Jumps shed hate)

Don't make excuses, just own up to it. And i'm not talking about the one where you threw a tantrum.

But this is a BLU thread.. and i'm being selfish going off topic.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-12-05 08:10:56
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Sieha said: »
I dont think the main issue will be capping magic. Its more of what other job will you level and gear to get drops for blu.
Why? Blu is well on its way to being quite a competitive dd. In about 5 days we'll see how the adjustments did.
 Siren.Sieha
By Siren.Sieha 2014-12-05 08:22:21
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Why? Blu is well on its way to being quite a competitive dd. In about 5 days we'll see how the adjustments did.

Unless the damage blu does gets increased by 3x in this update, it still wont get close to most of the 'dd' jobs. Its too much of a jack of all trades job. I dont think it was ever meant to be more then support/utility job.

Anyways fresh from a break, he isnt going to have to get to make him good enough to do enough damage where he isnt a burden to his group. Meaning, no shout groups will pick him up because when they shout for a dd they dont mean a newly returning blu.

Its not bring an *** hole or anything like that its just facts of how this game works right now. Anyone that doesnt think that is living in a cave.

Sam or nothing for DD, brd cor whm, sch for stuns, blm for add control. pld if you need one. This is public perception, and is not accurate but he needs to be prepared for the blu hate that will lead him to almost never come on blu unless its a group of friends humoring him.
 Siren.Sieha
By Siren.Sieha 2014-12-05 08:23:20
Link | Citer | R

You must be bored or stupid. probably both.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-12-05 08:58:13
Link | Citer | R

You must be a butthurt Cowboys fan. Prepare to have your hopes and dreams shattered for another season.
 Siren.Sieha
By Siren.Sieha 2014-12-05 09:40:07
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
You must be a butthurt Cowboys fan. Prepare to have your hopes and dreams shattered for another season.

who me? i dont give 2 shits about sports. Natenn likes to come into a room wave, throw confetti and try to be relevant then leaves crying because no one cares.
 Phoenix.Dorienn
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Saigone55
By Phoenix.Dorienn 2014-12-05 16:40:06
Link | Citer | R

Unless the damage blu does gets increased by 3x in this update, it still wont get close to most of the 'dd' jobs. Its too much of a jack of all trades job. I dont think it was ever meant to be more then support/utility job.

Anyways fresh from a break, he isnt going to have to get to make him good enough to do enough damage where he isnt a burden to his group. Meaning, no shout groups will pick him up because when they shout for a dd they dont mean a newly returning blu.

Its not bring an *** hole or anything like that its just facts of how this game works right now. Anyone that doesnt think that is living in a cave.

Sam or nothing for DD, brd cor whm, sch for stuns, blm for add control. pld if you need one. This is public perception, and is not accurate but he needs to be prepared for the blu hate that will lead him to almost never come on blu unless its a group of friends humoring him.

Why does it seem this type of commentary comes up every time.

BLU has incredibly high sustain for any off party and it's utility is desired on so many fronts if you put in enough hard work.

Anyone trying to win a parse as BLU or anyone expecting a BLU to win a parse is just bat-***crazy dumb. The job is in a great place.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Serveur: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-12-05 16:41:52
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Dorienn said: »

Why does it seem this type of commentary comes up every time.

BLU has incredibly high sustain for any off party and it's utility is desired on so many fronts if you put in enough hard work.

Anyone trying to win a parse as BLU or anyone expecting a BLU to win a parse is just bat-***crazy dumb. The job is in a great place.

You're all stupid.

GEO MAB and MDB- Buffs Allow BLU to match/beat SAM

Seriously go read the COR and BLU threads about this, 13k Flash Novas every 4 seconds is Definitely powerful. GRANTED this doesn't work for everything but for Delve 1 and some of Delve 2, it's viable.
 Phoenix.Dorienn
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Saigone55
By Phoenix.Dorienn 2014-12-05 16:47:58
Link | Citer | R

^ This right here is a case in point. Comparing the job to SAM for simply damage purpose shows a complete lack of understanding of the job and it's function outside of DD'ing.

Regardless of it's offense the job is in a great place with it's sustain and utility which some, mostly skilled players, would agree validates it's position.
First Page 2 3 4 5