Illinois Electronic Voting Machines Changes Votes

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Illinois Electronic Voting Machines Changes Votes
Illinois Electronic Voting Machines Changes Votes
First Page 2 3
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 08:46:23
Link | Citer | R

Several counties in Illinois, including Cook and DuPage Counties that encompasses Chicago, the voting machines for early voting changes any and all Republican cast votes to Democrat.

Source

Quote:
CHICAGO — Early voting in Illinois got off to a rocky start Monday, as votes being cast for Republican candidates were transformed into votes for Democrats.

Republican state representative candidate Jim Moynihan went to vote Monday at the Schaumburg Public Library.

“I tried to cast a vote for myself and instead it cast the vote for my opponent,” Moynihan said. “You could imagine my surprise as the same thing happened with a number of races when I tried to vote for a Republican and the machine registered a vote for a Democrat.”

The conservative website Illinois Review reported that “While using a touch screen voting machine in Schaumburg, Moynihan voted for several races on the ballot, only to find that whenever he voted for a Republican candidate, the machine registered the vote for a Democrat in the same race. He notified the election judge at his polling place and demonstrated that it continued to cast a vote for the opposing candidate’s party. Moynihan was eventually allowed to vote for Republican candidates, including his own race.

Moynihan offered this gracious lesson to his followers on Twitter: “Be careful when you vote in Illinois. Make sure you take the time to check your votes before submitting.”

Cook County Board of Elections Deputy Communications Director Jim Scalzitti, told Illinois Watchdog, the machine was taken out of service and tested.

“This was a calibration error of the touch-screen on the machine,” Scalzitti said. “When Mr. Moynihan used the touch-screen, it improperly assigned his votes due to improper calibration.”

I guess that they forgot to switch it back from the last election.

Notice that they change all Republican votes to Democrat, but not the other way around? And blame it on "calibration error" which wouldn't explain why it's only affecting one side and not the other....

(sidenote: I tried to find this story in other news sources, but none are reporting this, go figure)
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-23 08:54:04
Link | Citer | R

wonder how long that system has been like that
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 08:55:50
Link | Citer | R

Who knows, but I'm sure that people will say that this never happened before, and that the source is lying and all that.
By fonewear 2014-10-23 09:03:11
Link | Citer | R

Democrats in IL never !
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 09:04:15
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
Democrats Republicans in IL never !
ftfy.

Chicago is a breeding ground of corruption and government control, of course it's the Liberal Holy Land.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-23 09:38:51
Link | Citer | R

Chicago does have a real problem with government corruption... That being said I don't consider Schaumburg to be Chicago lol... The only reason they probably mention it as Chicago that I could think of is that part of it is part of cook county...

I wouldn't put it past em though... Guys like Michael Madigan have been running a little fiefdom in the state for a while now... guys like him need to go. Hard to do though when his daught is the AG and reticent to do anything of value to fight political corruption... honestly I mean she's taken up some good civil causes but yeah...

Part of the other problem is that republicans barely put up a fight here... I mean look at our gubenatorial race... Quinn is a piece of ***and the people of illinois have grow tired of the democratic machine pumping out the status quo and the pubs put up Rauner? another piece of ***to run against him... the only decent thing about it probably is that we can at least do away with the patronage that runs rampant in the governors office... though the feds are already cracking down on that. but I mean Rauner hasn't said anything of substance yet... it's just been him and Quinn throwing as much ***as they can at eachother...

It's the same with the AG job... the guy running against lisa madigan looks like a decent guy but has no plan and stuggled to answer simple questions when interviewed regarding his plan for the position...

It was also concerning to me that they didn't even have a report on this in the tribune... they're actually conservative leaning and I couldn't find anything on their yet either... they need to get this ***cleaned up...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-23 09:40:12
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
ftfy.

Chicago is a breeding ground of corruption and government control, of course it's the Liberal Holy Land.
Corrpution isn't just for the liberals... the conservatives take just as much a part in it... if you don't think so then you've certainly found a way to delude yourself right into the party line...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-23 09:41:19
Link | Citer | R

Who knows, but I'm sure that people will say that this never happened before, and that the source is lying and all that.
I doubt very much that it's lying but I haven't heard of it happening before... I'm sure if it has you'd be able to read up on it as they reported on this one pretty quickly on that watchdog site and then copied over to fox news...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 09:44:39
Link | Citer | R

The reason why Republicans don't really put up a fight there is that it's pretty much impossible to turn Illinois red anytime soon. Eventually it will turn red, but it will take a very long time to do so, and it's better to let the citizens stew on the ineptitude of the Democrat party for a while until an opportunity arises where the Republicans can take it back.

Then again, it will be hard to hold Illinois also, since the demands for wasteful spending is so strong there...it's all "gimme gimme gimme" in that state.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 09:45:34
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
ftfy.

Corrpution isn't just for the liberals... the conservatives take just as much a part in it... if you don't think so then you've certainly found a way to delude yourself right into the party line...
Last I checked, Republicans are against government control.....

learn2read next time?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 09:46:20
Link | Citer | R

I doubt very much that it's lying but I haven't heard of it happening before... I'm sure if it has you'd be able to read up on it as they reported on this one pretty quickly on that watchdog site and then copied over to fox news...
(sidenote: I tried to find this story in other news sources, but none are reporting this, go figure)
Again, learn2read instead of trying to pick fights all the time.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 09:52:34
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
I work with a touch screen, daily. Trust me, if the calibration for the screen is even remotely off, it throws the whole machine off.
Good, then you understand why I question the "calibration" excuse.

Because think about it. There are no issues with people voting for Democrats. If the calibration is off, wouldn't you think that people wouldn't be able to vote for the Democrats at all since they are either touching a blank portion of the screen (and register a no vote) or either a Republican or Independent vote (and nobody has said a word about either of these things happening). But yet, all Democrat votes are being counted....

So, it's either that all Democrat votes aren't being counted or being counted as no-votes, or there's something going on besides a "calibration" issue.

Or worse yet, all Democrats are inattentive voters.

Pick your excuse poison.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-10-23 10:07:48
Link | Citer | R

Not surprising, lol. But I don't vote anyways, so not like mine can be changed
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-23 10:08:09
Link | Citer | R

The reason why Republicans don't really put up a fight there is that it's pretty much impossible to turn Illinois red anytime soon. Eventually it will turn red, but it will take a very long time to do so, and it's better to let the citizens stew on the ineptitude of the Democrat party for a while until an opportunity arises where the Republicans can take it back.

Then again, it will be hard to hold Illinois also, since the demands for wasteful spending is so strong there...it's all "gimme gimme gimme" in that state.
They could though. If the republicans put up decent candidates here in certain key positions then they really could take them. They're already coming close with POS candidates... I really don't see the benefit in voting red if there's no effort made to put up someone that could do anything good.

I'm all for the best candidate for the position. It doesn't matter which side of the fence he's on.

The biggest problem here is the unions and unsustainable city pensions.

If republicans would give up on fighting issues like gay marriage and birth control then they'd have an easier time moving in as well... I will say though that just because someone is republican, even in a dysfunctional setting, it doesn't automatically make them the best candidate...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-23 10:09:03
Link | Citer | R

ftfy.

Last I checked, Republicans are against government control.....

learn2read next time?
Maybe they'd like you to believe that but it's also a hot and steamy load of BS...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-23 10:10:47
Link | Citer | R

Again, learn2read instead of trying to pick fights all the time.
How is this picking a fight? I also addressed in an eralier post that I couldn't find it anywhere either even in the conservative leaning tribune... This was me simply stating that if it has happened before you'd be able to read about it as they picked up on this one quickly.

Maybe you should learn to read and stop being so defensive over nothing lol...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 10:12:51
Link | Citer | R

I work with a touch screen, daily. Trust me, if the calibration for the screen is even remotely off, it throws the whole machine off.
Good, then you understand why I question the "calibration" excuse.

Because think about it. There are no issues with people voting for Democrats. If the calibration is off, wouldn't you think that people wouldn't be able to vote for the Democrats at all since they are either touching a blank portion of the screen (and register a no vote) or either a Republican or Independent vote (and nobody has said a word about either of these things happening). But yet, all Democrat votes are being counted....

So, it's either that all Democrat votes aren't being counted or being counted as no-votes, or there's something going on besides a "calibration" issue.

Or worse yet, all Democrats are inattentive voters.

Pick your excuse poison.
He tried voting Republican, and the machine changed them all to Democrat. Did he try voting Democrat or Independent himself? Actually try to, to find out for himself if it was just the machine acting up? Your article doesn't tell us if he did or not. If he didn't, then the calibration explanation might just hold up as factual. Touch screens are very delicate pieces of equipment, and the slightest calibration error with the screen, as I've said before, can throw the whole machine off and mess up everything else attached to it.
Think about it, if this was a larger issue due to calibration, do you think the media would ignore this? This would be a gold mine to the media, as this will create a large emotional response from the idiotic masses of the country, which just shows another example of the ineptitude of the government (state government in this case).

Instead, this is being largely ignored by the mainstream media (who strongly supports Democrats, and you cannot deny that either) and only conservative media outlets are reporting this (mainly because it's against Republicans).

Like I said before, if this is a calibration error, then wouldn't the entire screen be out of sync and the Democrat votes not be recorded at all?

Please explain that.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 10:15:23
Link | Citer | R

They could though. If the republicans put up decent candidates here in certain key positions then they really could take them. They're already coming close with POS candidates... I really don't see the benefit in voting red if there's no effort made to put up someone that could do anything good.

I'm all for the best candidate for the position. It doesn't matter which side of the fence he's on.

The biggest problem here is the unions and unsustainable city pensions.

If republicans would give up on fighting issues like gay marriage and birth control then they'd have an easier time moving in as well... I will say though that just because someone is republican, even in a dysfunctional setting, it doesn't automatically make them the best candidate...
Somehow, I highly doubt that, even given a strong Republican candidate, that Illinois would turn red or even purple in the near future (next 4 years). But that's just me.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-23 10:23:01
Link | Citer | R

You know very little about Illinois lol... If they had a strong candidate for governor or AG right now they would win both hands down.

Would the whole state turn red? No. It's still a liberal place seperated by key party line divisions...

The biggest problem republicans have in a lot of blue states is holding on to antiquated social beliefs that they don't always even believe in themselves... Good for red states maybe but death shots in the blue most of the time.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 10:27:30
Link | Citer | R

This type of thing's happened before with touch screen DRE machines like the one KN mentioned in the OP.
Pennsylvania, during the last presidential election, some dude tried voting for Obama and the machine kept highlighting Romney's name.
Link: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2493314/government-it/e-voting-machine-swaps-obama-vote-for-romney--taken-offline.html
Quote:
E-voting machine swaps Obama vote for Romney; taken offline
More like this

States rebut RNC complaints about e-voting systems
E-voting machine concerns, yet again!
Election watchdogs keep wary eye on paperless e-voting systems

Pennsylvania officials acknowledge the error; say calibration error fixed and DRE machine is back on duty
Jaikumar Vijayan

By Jaikumar Vijayan
Follow

Computerworld | Nov 6, 2012 3:30 PM PT

An electronic voting machine was temporarily taken out of service in Perry County, Pa., after a voter filmed it changing his vote for President Obama into one for Gov. Mitt Romney.
Featured Resource
Presented by Scribe Software
10 Best Practices for Integrating Data

Data integration is often underestimated and poorly implemented, taking time and resources. Yet it
Learn More

The voter, using the handle "centralpavoter," posted a video on YouTube earlier today purporting to show his attempts to cast a vote for Obama on what appears to be a touchscreen Direct Recording Electronic (DRE) voting machine. Despite repeatedly clicking on Obama's name, the machine keeps highlighting Romney's name on the machine, the video showed.

Ron Ruman, a spokesman for Pennsylvania Secretary of State Carol Aichele, confirmed the incident to Computerworld and said that the machine was immediately removed from service, recalibrated and quickly put back into service.

Ruman said it appeared that calibration issues in the machine caused it to highlight the wrong selection. The system worked as designed after it was recalibrated, he said.

No other voters complained about the machine, Ruman said.

Ruman said that the affected individual eventually voted on another machine without incident.

In a comment posted on Reddit, centralpavoter, who identified himself as a software developer, explained the incident in detail.

He said he tried troubleshooting the problem when he initially selected Obama's name on the machine and Romney's name was highlighted.

"I assumed it was being picky so I deselected Romney and tried Obama again, this time more carefully, and still got Romney," he wrote. "I first thought the calibration was off and tried selecting [Green Party candidate] Jill Stein to actually highlight Obama. Nope. Jill Stein was selected just fine," he said.

The voter said that an on-the-spot investigation found that "from the top of Romney's button down to the bottom of the black checkbox beside Obama's name was all active for Romney." All other buttons worked fine, he wrote.

Centralpavoter said he decided to record his attempts using a smartphone and then posted the video publicly to highlight the problem after a voting official on site appeared not to be too concerned about the issue.

Perry is a relatively small, mostly rural county northwest of Harrisburg.

Records maintained by election watchdog group Verified Voting show that Perry County uses DRE systems made by iVotronic. The systems are identified as being DRE systems that do not support a Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT).

Verified Voting and several other groups have long expressed considerable concern over the use of paperless DRE systems because votes cast on such machines are virtually impossible to audit. The lack of a paper trail rules out the use of manual audits, the groups have maintained.

Pennsylvania is one among 17 states that are using at least some paperless DRE systems to varying degrees in today's elections. Six of the states -- New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, South Carolina, Georgia, and Louisiana -- have no paper trail.
And, the youtube video mentioned in the above quote.
YouTube Video Placeholder
That's also just as bad.

Makes you question why these machines aren't tested before being rolled out to the public.

It's not like there isn't enough time to do the testing before the election, or even early voting starts.....
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 10:28:35
Link | Citer | R

You know very little about Illinois lol... If they had a strong candidate for governor or AG right now they would win both hands down.

Would the whole state turn red? No. It's still a liberal place seperated by key party line divisions...

The biggest problem republicans have in a lot of blue states is holding on to antiquated social beliefs that they don't always even believe in themselves... Good for red states maybe but death shots in the blue most of the time.
I was talking about national elections, not state.

When people refer to a color of a state, they mean a color for national elections, not local elections....
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-23 10:51:37
Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 11:01:47
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I lul'd heartily at this. Seriously.
Also KN, do you now understand why I've been saying bad calibration, as an explanation, can hold weight? You have video evidence in front of you, showing you exactly how a calibration error can effect just a portion of a touch screen. Trust me, it's frustrating when customers order a specific item and a bad calibration job has the screen puts the order in for a different item entirely. Then you have to void the order, try again, call in a third person to verify what's going on with the screen, remove the screen from service to calibrate it again, try putting the order through again... ugh... and people wonder why I drink so much when I know I have a day off the next day. That alone can drive me to drink.
I highly doubt that it can be a calibration error though, or at least one that's mechanical in nature, which is basically what calibration needs to do.

Both cases looks to be manipulation of the polls. The video shows that only that one box was affected, and could very easily be a manipulation of the touch/receive area.

Which is my point.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-23 12:01:52
Link | Citer | R

Like I said before, if this is a calibration error, then wouldn't the entire screen be out of sync and the Democrat votes not be recorded at all?

Please explain that.
no, but you may have a point of the democrats being evil if a touchscreen is favoring them, touchscreens are the devil after all.

without knowing the type of touchscreen on the machine it's hard to go into detail, but if the list shows up in the same manner every time and he clicks the same spot every time then yes it will be off in the same way every time, but we don't really have enough facts to either defend or attack anything at the moment, and as apparently it was just one machine we can write it off to machine failure and keep laughing at anyone who tries to make a big stink about it without actual evidence.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 12:36:58
Link | Citer | R

Well Jet, as someone who professes that they know all about electronics and programming, explain the difference between a programming "error" where if a person touches a specific spot on a movable screen (as most ballots are longer than the screen it displays on) and a calibration error.

Candlejack's video shows that, if you try to touch one box, a different one lights up. But it's only that one box, none of the other boxes are affected. Is that a calibration error (machine-made) or a programming error (human-made)?
By Jetackuu 2014-10-23 12:41:05
Link | Citer | R

I can't watch it right now, my laptop's dying and flash videos don't play well with my graphics driver, and I don't want to reboot right now.

Quite frankly, it could be both, but touchscreens are evil.

(Also, I've never professed to be an expert in programming, I suck at programming, I'm trying to remedy that part of myself though...)

It's very possible that it was intentional by a coder, but very unlikely.
First Page 2 3