Ebola Patient Coming To U.S.

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
First Page 2 3 ... 26 27 28 ... 42 43 44
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-16 10:25:08
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Looks like she did pretty much what she was suppose to. It's not her responsibility to keep the disease from the rest of the public. Pretty sure she wasn't even under quarantine. Her responsibility is taking care of herself.

The responsibility of protecting us from the health threats we aren't capable of doing ourselves belongs to the CDC, which is grossly incompetent to the benefit of politics.

I agree the CDC is a federal public health agency. Public health encompasses: public health administration, public health education, and epidemiology. They failed in all three departments.

Edit:However, the nurse is also to blame in this specific case. Nursing revolves around pubic health science moreso than medicine. Nurses are the first and last line of defense in educating patients. Educating patients before their diagnosis. Lastly educating patients if they comprehend their physicians care guidelines(aka public health education). She failed in this aspect because she has full background to know NOT to board a plain.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-16 10:25:56
Link | Citer | R

Lets work together to rid the world of Ebola over a few cups 'o coffee. Or destroy the world in the process. Either way, thanks Obama.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-10-16 10:29:51
Link | Citer | R

david bowie may have been on to something

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-16 10:30:55
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
How is this to the benefit of politics?

How is it better politically to come out and say "we got this whole Ebola thing under control" when in reality we're entirely incompetent?

Really?

Because making the public panic is a much better solution.
2 things.

1) Ebola is not something in which you shouldn't be concerned of. It's pretty awful if you get it, and while you might live from catching it, you'll most certainly be damaged from it from that point on.

2) Would you rather a small degree of unnecessary panic or people in charge who clearly, demonstrably, cannot get their ***together?
1) agreed.

2) Why would you promote something that's unnecessary? You do see your own contradiction there right?
I'm not promoting panic. To advocate the CDC come out and say "Ebola is a concern for us, we might have some cases in the US because we are not ideally prepared. We're stopping flights from infected areas and this is what you can do to protect yourself" is not promoting panic.

However it creates EXTRA panic to come out and say "everything's fine" when any idiot can see their incompetence.
By fonewear 2014-10-16 10:40:23
Link | Citer | R

Don't worry global warming has killed far more people than Ebola.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-16 10:40:53
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Looks like she did pretty much what she was suppose to. It's not her responsibility to keep the disease from the rest of the public. Pretty sure she wasn't even under quarantine. Her responsibility is taking care of herself.

The responsibility of protecting us from the health threats we aren't capable of doing ourselves belongs to the CDC, which is grossly incompetent to the benefit of politics.

I agree the CDC is a federal public health agency. Public health encompasses: public health administration, public health education, and epidemiology. They failed in all three departments.

Edit:However, the nurse is also to blame in this specific case. Nursing revolves around pubic health science moreso than medicine. Nurses are the first and last line of defense in educating patients. Educating patients before their diagnosis. Lastly educating patients if they comprehend their physicians care guidelines(aka public health education). She failed in this aspect because she has full background to know NOT to board a plain.
I agree she knows more than the average Joe, but she sought advice from the governing authority, and the authority gave her permission. The authority *** up, not the nurse. I agree there is a degree of culpability with the nurse but the scales are heavily weighted to the side of the CDC.

Nurses in general are around dangerous and infectious diseases pretty constantly. No one expects nurses to live in isolation as a prerequisite for their job. How would they ever travel anywhere via mass transit? They differ to the authority when concerning cases arrive.
By fonewear 2014-10-16 10:42:33
Link | Citer | R

Way till 2015 I heard the plague is making a come back.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-10-16 10:45:03
Link | Citer | R

It never left. It's easily found in the squirrels in Flagstaff AZ and the Grand Canyon.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-10-16 10:45:51
Link | Citer | R

What about hysterical pregnancy is that still around ?
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-10-16 10:47:35
Link | Citer | R

Maybe... But only if the impregnating semen carried Ebola.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-16 11:11:33
Link | Citer | R

I was just reading that the hospital he went to gave him some medicine and turned him away the first time he came in because he had no insurance... It wasn't until the second time he came in that they eventually diagnosed him with ebola...

I loved reading the comments to the article too... people were blaming obamacare and saying if he had enough money to fly here why couldn't he purchase health insurance... It's like they didn't even read the article even a little bit...
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-16 11:13:29
Link | Citer | R

why hasn't the US adopted the same quarantine policy as germany?
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-10-16 11:30:32
Link | Citer | R

I'm responsible for my person. You are responsible for yours.

Personal responsibility. You don't seem to understand what that means.

I don't blame the guy who came here from Africa. Who wouldn't? You're probably at least twice as likely to live here than there. We shouldn't be allowing him to get here.

Personal responsibility.
You do realize that isn't what personal responsibility means, right?
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-16 11:37:01
Link | Citer | R

I was just reading that the hospital he went to gave him some medicine and turned him away the first time he came in because he had no insurance

You can thank Obamacare for that. People can't receive care without insurance.
By Ramyrez 2014-10-16 11:40:37
Link | Citer | R

I was just reading that the hospital he went to gave him some medicine and turned him away the first time he came in because he had no insurance

You can thank Obamacare for that. People can't receive care without insurance.

That's crap.

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act

Hospital *** up.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-10-16 11:41:15
Link | Citer | R

That ***predates Obamacare. They turned him away because they thought his symptoms were minor and didn't use discretion with the original diagnosis with respect to him having just been in a West African country afflicted with Ebola
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-16 11:49:13
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
That ***predates Obamacare. They turned him away because they thought his symptoms were minor and didn't use discretion with the original diagnosis with respect to him having just been in a West African country afflicted with Ebola

It had already been in the news, and certainly the medical community was aware of it. The second he said "Africa" and "feeling ill" the red flags should have been unfurling and the horn blaring to see it this pronto.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-10-16 11:49:20
Link | Citer | R

I was just reading.

there is your problem right there...it was probably written by those "experts" pleebo keeps waving in our faces....

now shut up and help me board up the website before the ebola zombies get us.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-16 11:57:34
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

It had already been in the news, and certainly the medical community was aware of it. The second he said "Africa" and "feeling ill" the red flags should have been unfurling and the horn blaring to see it this pronto.

"Doc, I don't think you're hearing well chief. *COUGH COUGH* I said I was in Africa and I THINK, I only think I may have contracted Ebola. But maybe I'm just being paranoid. *sneezes* It's been nice talking to you folk, I'm gonna head on home now. *sniffles* Nice meeting yall. *sneezes into hand then extends for a shake*"
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-16 11:58:40
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
I was just reading.

there is your problem right there...it was probably written by those "experts" pleebo keeps waving in our faces....

now shut up and help me board up the website before the ebola zombies get us.
I... uhhh.... hmmm... Ok...
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-16 12:04:23
Link | Citer | R

Texas Hospital Official Apologizes for Lapses in Ebola Care

Quote:
In the prepared remarks, Dr. Daniel Varga, the chief clinical officer for Texas Health Resources, the medical group that oversees Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, said that “unfortunately, in our initial treatment of Mr. Duncan, despite our best intentions and a highly skilled medical team we made mistakes.”

He added: “We did not correctly diagnose his symptoms as those of Ebola. We are deeply sorry.”
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-10-16 12:08:43
Link | Citer | R

I agree she knows more than the average Joe, but she sought advice from the governing authority, and the authority gave her permission. The authority *** up, not the nurse. I agree there is a degree of culpability with the nurse but the scales are heavily weighted to the side of the CDC.

Nurses in general are around dangerous and infectious diseases pretty constantly. No one expects nurses to live in isolation as a prerequisite for their job. How would they ever travel anywhere via mass transit? They differ to the authority when concerning cases arrive.
Not telling someone to not do something is not the same as giving permission.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-10-16 12:10:49
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Not telling someone to not do something is not the same as giving permission.

[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-10-16 12:30:10
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
In the prepared remarks, Dr. Daniel Varga, the chief clinical officer for Texas Health Resources, the medical group that oversees Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, said that “unfortunately, in our initial treatment of Mr. Duncan, despite our best intentions and a highly skilled medical team we made mistakes.”

He added: “We did not correctly diagnose his symptoms as those of Ebola. We are deeply sorry.”

ThatArticle said:
Dr. Paul E. Jarris, the executive director of the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, said the C.D.C. as well as state and local agencies had been sending out materials on Ebola for months, but that it was up to each of the 5,000 hospitals to prepare and drill. Next week, the C.D.C. is scheduled to hold a large Ebola training session at the Javits Center in New York for thousands of health workers.

“The tools were there but the challenge is getting the horse to drink,” Dr. Jarris said, adding that the task was complicated by federal budget cuts. Funds for hospital preparedness are down by 40 percent since 2010, he said.

Many health workers said that Ebola was on the radar, but that real preparation would take more than a single training exercise or an emailed brochure. Hospitals with specialty units, such as Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, where the second infected nurse was transferred Wednesday, regularly hold drills to keep up the skills that make treatment consistently safe.

“There’s a big difference between knowing what to do and being really good at executing it,” said Dr. Brad Spellberg, chief medical officer of Los Angeles County-University of Southern California Medical Center. “How many times do you need to drill before there are no operational errors? That’s the next level of expertise.”
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-16 12:30:16
Link | Citer | R

I don't blame the guy who came here from Africa. Who wouldn't? You're probably at least twice as likely to live here than there. We shouldn't be allowing him to get here.

Personal responsibility.

Personal responsibility is the idea that human beings choose, instigate, or otherwise cause their own actions, and can therefore be held accountable for them.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-16 12:33:00
Link | Citer | R

Quote:

ThatArticle said:
Dr. Paul E. Jarris, the executive director of the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, said the C.D.C. as well as state and local agencies had been sending out materials on Ebola for months, but that it was up to each of the 5,000 hospitals to prepare and drill. Next week, the C.D.C. is scheduled to hold a large Ebola training session at the Javits Center in New York for thousands of health workers.

“The tools were there but the challenge is getting the horse to drink,” Dr. Jarris said, adding that the task was complicated by federal budget cuts. Funds for hospital preparedness are down by 40 percent since 2010, he said.

Many health workers said that Ebola was on the radar, but that real preparation would take more than a single training exercise or an emailed brochure. Hospitals with specialty units, such as Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, where the second infected nurse was transferred Wednesday, regularly hold drills to keep up the skills that make treatment consistently safe.

“There’s a big difference between knowing what to do and being really good at executing it,” said Dr. Brad Spellberg, chief medical officer of Los Angeles County-University of Southern California Medical Center. “How many times do you need to drill before there are no operational errors? That’s the next level of expertise.”
A few weeks too late it seems.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-10-16 12:36:09
Link | Citer | R

Personal responsibility.

Personal responsibility is the idea that human beings choose, instigate, or otherwise cause their own actions, and can therefore be held accountable for them.
Hey, give the man a prize.
You could also shorten it to this:
Quote:
Personal responsibility is the concept that an entity is held accountable for the consequences of their actions.
You also realize that is absolutely not what you first implied it was?
It sure as hell isn't responsibility for your person.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-10-16 12:44:46
Link | Citer | R

Quote:

ThatArticle said:

Right. Because there was no way the hospitals, having been given information for months, could not have set up their own internal training regimes.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-16 12:48:24
Link | Citer | R

Quote:

ThatArticle said:

I would like to see you coordinate the preparedness protocols for a hospital in a major U.S. city that keeps every employee trained and perfectly prepared for each individual potential public health emergency.

If, prior to this outbreak, you can say that Ebola was even in your top 10 worries when prioritizing your training agenda, you're lying or your priorities would have been sorely out of line.

Is it a problem that the materials were available, but not properly utilized? Yes.

In hindsight, do we wish they would have been better-trained and prepared for this? Yes.

Was this something the CDC should have been pressing facilities to be ready for? Eh. Maybe? It's easy to say "yes", but prior to this people were worried about the enterovirus going around and, in all honesty, probably still should be giving some focus to that as it's likely to cause more harm to Americans than Ebola.

You cannot prepare perfectly for every possible contingency. Sometimes things are going to be a reaction because something fell through the cracks.

It was an error in judgment, but it's one that wasn't exactly hard to make. It's one that I'm sure has been made countrywide, and is being remedied countrywide in light of these events.

It's awful, but it's true.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-16 12:48:58
Link | Citer | R

Personal responsibility.

Hey, give the man a prize.
You could also shorten it to this:
Quote:
Personal responsibility is the concept that an entity is held accountable for the consequences of their actions.
You also realize that is absolutely not what you first implied it was?
It sure as hell isn't responsibility for your person.

What did I first imply it was?

She is responsible for herself. She called the authority, sought permission, and the authority gave it to her. What did you want her to do, doubt the authority? Does anyone doubt the authority is the authority? They are the ones in charge of the welfare of the rest of us.
First Page 2 3 ... 26 27 28 ... 42 43 44