Ebola Patient Coming To U.S.

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 42 43 44
By Altimaomega 2014-10-03 03:10:31
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
The topic is about one disease. Not attitudes towards infectious diseases in general. There's no merit in the bedwetting being expressed in the last few pages, because most of us have an understanding on how ebola is transmitted and are aware of the differences in medical facilities and infrastructure between here and West Africa.

There are issues that warrant concern and then there's freaking out over out-of-context pictures and intimating the eventuality of nationwide disasters. (Then there are also the attempts to politicize the issue, which are just laughable.) Hell, it'd be funny if I wasn't reasonably sure they were being completely serious. I'm betting the toilet paper in Nausi's bunker has been fully restocked.

It's the same kind of misinformation that motivates African villagers to attack aid workers or ignore proper outbreak protocols. Just silliness.
Altimaomega said: »
I'm just waiting for the Ebola Mutation part of the discussion.
Do enlighten us. I didn't mean to interrupt.

Can't tell if you are trying to troll or being your normal hypocritical self.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-10-03 08:21:27
Link | Citer | R

I think the title needs to be edited.

I've been thinking this for two days now.

Bloodrose said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Jetackuu said: »
I'll just do the smart thing and avoid potential contact hazards as it's rather easy to *** avoid, something a lot of us do anyway, have better immune systems/hygiene practices than the general west African village.
In college I worked as a custodian to help pay my way through. Some of the things I saw make me question that statement. /shudder
Some of the things you see working in fast food/casual dining makes you question that as well.

Retail isn't exempt either. Dressing rooms are apparently just as good as a bathroom stall to some people. Some "ladies" are just as gross as college guys taking a dump in a sink or a pool or leaving an upper-decker.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-03 08:23:49
Link | Citer | R

Not attitudes towards infectious diseases in general. There's no merit in the bedwetting being expressed in the last few pages, because most of us have an understanding on how ebola is transmitted and are aware of the differences in medical facilities and infrastructure between here and West Africa.

The outbreak of Ebola in West Africa has been underestimated at every turn so far. While I agree that most of us on these forums are aware of how Ebola is transmitted and know what precautions to take, there are a lot of ignorant people out there, and that is how a virus like this gets out of control.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-10-03 08:26:36
Link | Citer | R

CNN: It's time to panic !

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-03 08:28:17
Link | Citer | R

Parents are going to Dallas today. May be a chance that I might get ebola when they come back to ATX. Must spread the disease if it happens!

In all seriousness though~ I know that the virus is spread through contact with bodily fluids and stuff but how contagious is it do you think it would be in our society if the situation gets a little worse?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-03 08:29:08
Link | Citer | R

Zah, how do you like knowing that Texas is now the Ebola capital in the US now?

Volk too.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-10-03 08:30:18
Link | Citer | R

volkom said: »
Parents are going to Dallas today. May be a chance that I might get ebola when they come back to ATX. Must spread the disease if it happens!

In all seriousness though~ I know that the virus is spread through contact with bodily fluids and stuff but how contagious is it do you think it would be in our society if the situation gets a little worse?

Quarantine them at Pappa John's
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-03 08:32:07
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Volk too.

I don't personally mind it. If it can be contained and stopped here then awesome. Would be +1 things that would be awesome for the state. If the situation gets worse (which I'm expecting) then hopefully it would give awareness to the medical industry on the crap performance of many hospitals/clinics etc~
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-03 08:39:25
Link | Citer | R

Volk too.

I don't personally mind it. If it can be contained and stopped here then awesome. Would be +1 things that would be awesome for the state. If the situation gets worse (which I'm expecting) then hopefully it would give awareness to the medical industry on the crap performance of many hospitals/clinics etc~
True.

I keep being told that San Antonio has the best healthcare system in the nation, but I don't really want to test this with this virus.

I hope that the Dallas system is up to snuff.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-10-03 08:42:23
Link | Citer | R

Volk too.

Considering that "Ebola" is on the lips of everyone and is a pretty unavoidable topic, and I'm sifting trough my memory bank of people's unhygienic habits, I've had a random pop of an "I hate people!" mood, though I'm not an "I hate people!" person.

/thumbs up

Weakness works EMT or EMS and is in DF-Dub. He and Arana should pop in.

You know if it spreads in DFW there's going to be a panic and run on Seton, Scott & White and Dell's Childrens, just like when the Swine Flu panic occurred.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-03 08:48:40
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
You know if it spreads in DWF there's going to be a panic and run on Seton, Scott & White and Dell's Childrens, just like when the Swine Flu panic occurred.
as long as the infected people aren't idiots and go to the airport then let the panic happen. Hopefully there's some kind of prep work going on just incase
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-03 08:53:47
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
You know if it spreads in DWF there's going to be a panic and run on Seton, Scott & White and Dell's Childrens, just like when the Swine Flu panic occurred.
as long as the infected people aren't idiots and go to the airport then let the panic happen. Hopefully there's some kind of prep work going on just incase
You know that they won't go to the airport.

They will go to Denton or Waco instead.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-03 08:55:00
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Like I said before if the US cannot contain this when other countries in Africa have been able to for previous breakouts then there is something seriously wrong with both the citizens and the government.

Where is the evidence that this thing is contained in africa?

The whole issue is that this is a deadly disease with up to a 90% mortality rate in previous outbreaks. This is not something to take lightly and yet IS being taken lightly by the feds in charge.

Other countries have banned flights from infected parts of Africa why haven't we?

How many thousands of people leave that region every day? As the outbreak gets worse (and nearly every indicator suggests it will) how many idiots that think they're going to get Ebola are gonna choose to stay in Africa instead of fleeing to a country like the US where any idiot knows they'll have a better chance of survival than if they stayed at home?
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-03 10:09:08
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
U.S. nurses say they are unprepared to handle Ebola patients

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Nurses, the frontline care providers in U.S. hospitals, say they are untrained and unprepared to handle patients arriving in their hospital emergency departments infected with Ebola.

Many say they have gone to hospital managers, seeking training on how to best care for patients and protect themselves and their families from contracting the deadly disease, which has so far killed at least 3,338 people in the deadliest outbreak on record.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has repeatedly said that U.S. hospitals are prepared to handle such patients. Many infectious disease experts agree with that assessment.

Dr. Edward Goodman, an infectious disease doctor at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas that is now caring for the first Ebola patient to be diagnosed in this country, believed his hospital was ready.

The hospital had completed Ebola training just before Thomas Eric Duncan arrived in their emergency department on Sept. 26. But despite being told that Duncan had recently traveled from Liberia, hospital staff failed to recognize the Ebola risk and sent him home, where he spent another two days becoming sicker and more infectious.

"The Texas case is a perfect example," said Micker Samios, a triage nurse in the emergency department at Medstar Washington Hospital Center, the largest hospital in the nation's capital.

"In addition to not being prepared, there was a flaw in diagnostics as well as communication," Samios said.

Nurses argue that inadequate preparation could increase the chances of spreading Ebola if hospital staff fail to recognize a patient coming through their doors, or if personnel are not informed about how to properly protect themselves.

At Medstar, the issue of Ebola training came up at the bargaining table during contract negotiations.

"A lot of staff feel they aren't adequately trained," said Samios, whose job is to greet patients in the emergency department and do an initial assessment of their condition.

So Young Pak, a spokeswoman for the hospital, said it has been rolling out training since July "in the Emergency Department and elsewhere, and communicating regularly with physicians, nurses and others throughout the hospital."

Samios said she and other members of the emergency department staff were trained just last week on procedures to care for and recognize an Ebola patient, but not everyone was present for the training, and none of the other nursing or support staff were trained.

"When an Ebola patient is admitted or goes to the intensive care unit, those nurses, those tech service associates are not trained," she said. "The X-ray tech who comes into the room to do the portable chest X-ray is not trained. The transporter who pushes the stretcher is not trained."

If an Ebola patient becomes sick while being transported, "How do you clean the elevator?"

Nurses at hospitals across the country are asking similar questions.

A survey by National Nurses United of some 400 nurses in more than 200 hospitals in 25 states found that more than half (60 percent) said their hospital is not prepared to handle patients with Ebola, and more than 80 percent said their hospital has not communicated to them any policy regarding potential admission of patients infected by Ebola.

Another 30 percent said their hospital has insufficient supplies of eye protection and fluid-resistant gowns.

"If there are protocols in place, the nurses are not hearing them and the nurses are the ones who are exposed," said RoseAnn DeMoro, executive director of National Nurses United, which serves as both a union and a professional association for U.S. nurses.

Unlike influenza or the common cold, which can be spread by coughing and sneezing, Ebola is only spread by contact with bodily fluids from someone who is actively sick. That means the risk to the average person is low, but for healthcare workers, the risk is much higher.

As of Aug. 25, more than 240 healthcare workers have developed the disease in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone, and more than 120 have died, according to the World Health Organization.

Many of these infections occurred when healthcare workers were removing the personal protective gear - masks, gowns, gloves or full hazmat suits used to care for the patients, said biosafety experts.

Sean Kaufman, ‎president of Behavioral-Based Improvement Solutions, an Atlanta-based biosafety firm, helped coach nurses at Emory University through the process of putting on and taking off personal protective equipment (PPE) while they were caring for two U.S. aid workers flown to Atlanta after becoming infected with Ebola in West Africa.

Kaufman became known as "Papa Smurf" to the Emory nurses because of the blue hazmat suits he and others wore that resembled the cartoon character.

"Our healthcare workforce goes through so many pairs of gloves that they really don't focus on how they remove gloves. The putting on and the taking off doesn't occur with enough attention to protect themselves," he said.

Nurses say hospitals have not thought through the logistics of caring for Ebola patients.

"People say they are ready, but then when you ask them what do you actually have in place, nobody is really answering that," said Karen Higgins, a registered nurse at Boston Medical Center.

Higgins, an intensive care unit (ICU) nurse, said hospital officials have been teaching nurses on one of the regular floors how to care for an Ebola patient.

"I said, well, that's great, but if the patient requires an ICU, what is your plan," she said. "They looked at me blankly."
 Bahamut.Kara
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-03 10:12:27
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Like I said before if the US cannot contain this when other countries in Africa have been able to for previous breakouts then there is something seriously wrong with both the citizens and the government.

This is not the first time there has been an ebola outbreak. Every previous outbreak was contained and stopped.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_disease#Epidemiology

Also, Nigeria has not had another person become infected since Aug. 31st.

Quote:
The whole issue is that this is a deadly disease with up to a 90% mortality rate in previous outbreaks. This is not something to take lightly and yet IS being taken lightly by the feds in charge.
The CDC has not been taking this lightly. So far this outbreak has not reached 90% mortality rates. It's between 40-70%. 40% in Nigeria. Those treated in the US 0% mortality rate.

Which feds are you referring to?

Quote:
Other countries have banned flights from infected parts of Africa why haven't we?
I'm sure that will be looked at and maybe that would be best. As long as humanitarian flights are able to still get there to help contain and stop the spread. Otherwise that doesn't help long term.

Quote:
How many thousands of people leave that region every day? As the outbreak gets worse (and nearly every indicator suggests it will) how many idiots that think they're going to get Ebola are gonna choose to stay in Africa instead of fleeing to a country like the US where any idiot knows they'll have a better chance of survival than if they stayed at home?
Getting to the US from West Africa is not just buying a ticket and hopping on a plane. You need to apply for a visa, buy a plane ticket, prove you have a means of supporting yourself while visiting, go through an interview, get approved, get the visa, and then get screened at the airport (which needs an upgraded screening process). This takes time and money.

The more likely scenario is people fleeing to other parts of Africa and spreading the virus that way. Then making their way to Europe and Asia.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-03 10:17:41
Link | Citer | R

Why do you keep citing Nigeria?

Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea are the hotspots.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-10-03 10:20:42
Link | Citer | R

Some of you guys are just tripping. Yes the concept of Ebola is very scary. However when someone has it and the symptoms start to manifest the infected is not mobile and not interacting with society.

They will not be out and about spreading infected pathogens.

What you really need to be concerned about is control within the hospital the patient is at. 9 times out of the virus is transmitted when handling the body of an infected person who died. It's a 50% mortality rate so its a high probability they will pass on. However if their immune system is strong enough they will need to be quarantined for 3-4 months due to the fact the patient is male.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-10-03 10:38:44
Link | Citer | R

I'm more worried about feminism than Ebola.
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-03 10:40:42
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
I'm more worried about feminism than Ebola.
read dating profiles~ instant pass if they mention feminism
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-03 11:07:31
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

No, but this might:

and this:

That's why I'm deeply surprised that the people who are infected/exposed have been "quarantined" in their homes, rather than medical facilities designed to completely isolate patients.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-03 11:11:27
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »

No, but this might:

and this:

That's why I'm deeply surprised that the people who are infected/exposed have been "quarantined" in their homes, rather than medical facilities designed to completely isolate patients.
What?
Mosquitoes don't spread ebola. Things would be a lot worse in Africa if that was the case

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html
Quote:
Can Ebola be spread through mosquitos?
There is no evidence that mosquitos or other insects can transmit Ebola virus. Only mammals (for example, humans, bats, monkeys and apes) have shown the ability to spread and become infected with Ebola virus.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-03 11:16:32
Link | Citer | R

dafuq? That's a completely different mode of transmission. I think people's ideas of disease control are being lifted out of movies.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-03 11:17:29
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »

No, but this might:

and this:

What?
Mosquitoes don't spread ebola. Things would be a lot worse in Africa if that was the case

Quote:
There is no evidence that mosquitos or other insects can transmit Ebola virus. Only mammals (for example, humans, bats, monkeys and apes) have shown the ability to spread and become infected with Ebola virus.
Are there mosquitoes in Africa? (Obvious question, but I don't know the answer)
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-03 11:20:11
Link | Citer | R

dafuq? That's a completely different mode of transmission. I think people's ideas of disease control are being lifted out of movies.

If Ebola can't be transmitted via pest, then great - but it's hardly a fictitious concept.

The Bubonic Plague swept through Europe in 1347, wiping out 1/3 of the human population of the world. It was transmitted primarily by fleas.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-03 11:21:22
Link | Citer | R

Are there mosquitoes in Africa? (Obvious question, but I don't know the answer)
Yes. Lots of malaria in the region

Edit:
It is one of the reasons lots of health workers died at first. They thought it was malaria not ebola
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-03 11:26:49
Link | Citer | R

It's a fictitious concept with regards to ebola. The people being monitored for symptoms aren't being kept in plastic bubbles because the disease isn't communicable while the patient is asymptomatic.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-03 11:43:12
Link | Citer | R

The CDC said:
How long does Ebola live outside the body?

Ebola is killed with hospital-grade disinfectants (such as household bleach). Ebola on dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature.
The CDC said:

That seems like a contradiction to me. The blood of an infected person can spread the disease, but a mosquito carrying the blood of an infected person can't spread the disease.

Oh well, whatever. If Ebola can't be spread via pest transmission, I'm not going to complain.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-03 11:56:24
Link | Citer | R

There's living outside the body and then there's living inside a mosquito. Something like malaria can do that because it has a specialized life cycle that allows it to survive in two different host species.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-03 12:09:08
Link | Citer | R

Altimaomega said: »
Can't tell if you are trying to troll or being your normal hypocritical self.

Virology isn't encompassed in infectious diseases apparently!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-03 12:47:06
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

This is not the first time there has been an ebola outbreak. Every previous outbreak was contained and stopped.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_disease#Epidemiology

Also, Nigeria has not had another person become infected since Aug. 31st.

Quote:
The CDC has not been taking this lightly. So far this outbreak has not reached 90% mortality rates. It's between 40-70%. 40% in Nigeria. Those treated in the US 0% mortality rate.

Which feds are you referring to?

Quote:
I'm sure that will be looked at and maybe that would be best. As long as humanitarian flights are able to still get there to help contain and stop the spread. Otherwise that doesn't help long term.

Quote:
Getting to the US from West Africa is not just buying a ticket and hopping on a plane. You need to apply for a visa, buy a plane ticket, prove you have a means of supporting yourself while visiting, go through an interview, get approved, get the visa, and then get screened at the airport (which needs an upgraded screening process). This takes time and money.

The more likely scenario is people fleeing to other parts of Africa and spreading the virus that way. Then making their way to Europe and Asia.

First off, I don't contest that under ample medical care as well as having a strong immune system most likely puts your odds at better than 50/50. No one seems to give any credence to the notion that if this thing goes big, no one is going to have access to "AMPLE" medical care. The death rate will go up as that happens, it will certainly be higher than 50%.

Secondly, last week when their spokes person was touting the "infinitesimal" chance of Ebola hitting the US, Thomas Eric Duncan was being sent home from the US hospital. The complex "super" was power washing the vomit off the sidewalk. The CDC and the feds were either unaware of these risks and issues or they were unwilling to prepare for them.

Finally, why hasn't closing flights been looked at? This guy admittedly got on the flight already sick, so it's that easy to just come here and expose everyone. This disease is serious ***! You guys are the only ones who think a contagious disease with an death rate of 25-90% isn't something to be concerned about. WHY?
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 42 43 44