Add-On Packs - Worth It?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Add-On Packs - Worth It?
Add-On Packs - Worth It?
 Asura.Volition
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Volition
By Asura.Volition 2009-08-05 09:45:12
Link | Citer | R

I just recently came back to the game, and I am interested in the new addons that have come out. However, I would like to know if they are worth even buying or not. The reason I ask, is because I heard people say that you are basically paying the $10 for the item at the end, nothing more. Is it really that way? Or are the stories actually good? Do you get anything additional other than story and the item?

Thanks
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-08-05 09:47:04
Link | Citer | R

The stories aren't ::amazing:: or intricate, but the Moogle one is a fun sort of story. Personally, I enjoyed them both.
 Fairy.Tbest
Serveur: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-08-05 09:47:22
Link | Citer | R

Well, in most cases the add-ons will get you decent aug'd gear otw up to the final fight. And then the final for both will yield you a piece of eq that is generally comparable to gear worth several millions. So, it's really up to you to decide.
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2009-08-06 09:48:18
Link | Citer | R

The missions are really boring and basic but the final fights offer an ok challenge. Yes you kind of pay 10$ for the final reward but if you are lucky you can get very interesting item from the coffer in the Tenshodo. As an example you can get a ruby earring with str+2 and attack or ranged attack +1 to 5 which can be way better than the pricey Triumph Earring. I still try to get one so I'm still not done with the first add-on scenario even if I finished last mission months ago.
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-08-06 09:59:18
Link | Citer | R

With ACP, you are spending $10 for the item at the end. I'd imagine that stoned high school sophomores could've pumped out an equally compelling story, and they could've done it for pennies on the dollar. The Windurst [S] mission "A Long March North" went live with the same update as ACP, and this single mission blew ACP out of the water.

While Kupo upped the ante when it came to *** farming and fetch quests, at least the cutscenes and story were improved in comparison to the garbage that was ACP. I actually enjoyed Kupo's cutscenes and story, and at the end, I didn't feel like SE charged me $10 for ***that never should've seen release.
 Asura.Slamm
user: Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-08-06 10:58:48
Link | Citer | R

why spend money for an item that isn't real?

its HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE

unless they make another endgame zone im not buying another expansion ever
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Sahagin
user: Sahagin
By Midgardsormr.Sahagin 2009-08-06 11:03:38
Link | Citer | R

Hated aCP for it's horrible boss fight. D:
Hated the moogle one, too much running around. D:
The items and augments are ok though, the only thing that keeps me buying them.
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2009-08-06 11:10:05
Link | Citer | R

Slamm said:

Why spending 10$ on beers if it end up in the toilet 30 minutes later? Because beer is real? It's all about lifestyle and entertainment, people spend their money in many different ways when it comes to filling their free time!
[+]
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-08-06 11:12:22
Link | Citer | R

Liquidz said:
Slamm said:

Why spending 10$ on beers if it end up in the toilet 30 minutes later? Because beer is real? It's all about lifestyle and entertainment, people spend their money in many different ways when it comes to filling their free time!

how many people actually enjoy those missions?
and beer sucks lol
 Cerberus.Savannah
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-08-06 11:15:13
Link | Citer | R

i actually enjoyed the moogle fight....

If you have the right set up (and those ppl can do their jobs effectively) both things are really easy.
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2009-08-06 11:35:16
Link | Citer | R

Slamm said:
Liquidz said:
Slamm said:

how many people actually enjoy those missions?
and beer sucks lol

You know what I meant! If you think that way there is tons of things people would never buy! Go go materialism? ^^;

And I enjoyed both add-on final fight! That's about it though...
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Serveur: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-08-06 11:57:59
Link | Citer | R

ACP was complete garbage. Only good part was the final item.

MKE was actually pretty fun, good CSs and not so cut and dry but still nothing I'll ever consider repeating. Final item is ok.
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-08-06 19:24:36
Link | Citer | R

I've played pretty solid right from launch, and I got all of the regular expansions up through WotG, but I have yet to find any real motivation to get either of the new content packs. I mean, if you want something that's only in the new packs, or all of your friends are doing the ACP/MKE missions and quests then you should get them, but I say you can get along just fine without them. :P
 Fairy.Lethewaters
Serveur: Fairy
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-08-06 19:56:43
Link | Citer | R

ACP as a story didn't motivate me. Honestly I was kinda ticked when I zoned into Jeuno omw to an EXP PT and got a CS. I am halfway thru ACP and I'm more "meh" on it than ever. Honestly I just want the item at the end cause the story seemed so crappy. The only other good part is the chance for a decent item from the Tenshodo Coffer.

Moogle though has interested me and I like the story. Yes, the running around and item collection sucked but when I started it, so did 90% of the server. I've started it on 2 other characters recently and it's not as bad collecting the items now than when I was on my main.

I will however say get Moogle just because I can see where the 3rd expansion is coming from.
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
Serveur: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-08-06 20:05:26
Link | Citer | R

I personally enjoyed both add-ons, for story arc and items at the end. ACP filled in the holes left by Zilart and Chains of Promathia as far as character backstory, and Moogle gives a little more detail into the background management of mog houses. If you're not some chump who's going through this game with serious tunnel vision on your Epeen and actually enjoy some history of the game your playing, I'd say you'd probably like them too. The items are a good boost too, the body and head piece coming in near the top of some of the items you can get for those slots, easily saving you a lot of gil from buying other items from AH. Or, for a little more fun, instead of recreating a duplicate+/-1 of already existing pieces, making your own gear setup.
Kind of hoping Shantotto's add on has hands or legs, I might redo the end fights to make a new build for w/e strikes me.
 Shiva.Xellith
Serveur: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2009-08-07 13:51:54
Link | Citer | R

i thought acp was terrible. The story was so dull and boring.
 Garuda.Ishkur
user: Ishkur
By Garuda.Ishkur 2009-08-07 14:27:58
Link | Citer | R

if the item is worth 10 bucks to you then they are worth it
but the story sucks at least in AMK... didn't buy ACP but I am guessing the quests were rather similar so meh
 Alexander.Zhul
Serveur: Alexander
user: Zhul
By Alexander.Zhul 2009-08-07 15:45:08
Link | Citer | R

Both suck hard imo. The missions are painful and feel way too much like work. I would have rather paid 10 bucks for the items. This is basically SE's version of RMT but in the disguise of two super annoying mission sets. Have fun!
 Bahamut.Pheliont
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Pheliont
By Bahamut.Pheliont 2009-08-07 16:41:27
Link | Citer | R

Slamm said:

hmmm that's interesting.... you are playing a game where you are paying $13-$25 for and its not real either, so does that make a you retard for buying an item that isn't real?
[+]
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-08-07 17:40:04
Link | Citer | R

use that 10$ on a security token for the mog satchel and you will be much happier.
 Fenrir.Shindo
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-08-07 17:57:22
Link | Citer | R

The story for AMK was rather cute if you enjoy moogles in all their moogle-ness. The final mission didn't suffer from as many of the outrageous flaws that ACP did. The repetition mission for the reentry item was still long, but definitely more engaging, and you don't have to drop invis in front of sight-aggro mobs. The fight itself also doesn't have ridiculously strict job requirements.

$10 for DLC isn't really all that uncommon. I'm really more upset with SE for misleading us by making us think we could choose augments for everything.
 Ifrit.Clouse
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Clouse
By Ifrit.Clouse 2009-08-07 18:43:33
Link | Citer | R

I have never plated an mmo for a storyline (though CoP was pretty good)

ill be getting ACP when i start back up simply because my pld needs the body to become 1337. AMK ill get it when i get it, seems like u can get a decent blm hat.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-08-07 19:58:14
Link | Citer | R

no
 Diabolos.Neokaingel
Serveur: Diabolos
user: GRX3000
By Diabolos.Neokaingel 2009-08-07 20:00:03
Link | Citer | R

Haubergeon for DRG was worth that crap, though I'd have payed more just to get the Nuevo without the filthy quests - even if they were decent. Champion's Galea is even better for multihit WS builds (STR+4, WSACC+15, ACC+10, ATK+5 - you can't get better than that in any single slot for a multihit WS).
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-08-08 08:51:33
Link | Citer | R

Pheliont said:
Slamm said:

hmmm that's interesting.... you are playing a game where you are paying $13-$25 for and its not real either, so does that make a you retard for buying an item that isn't real?

you must have trouble understanding so ill help you out...

paying for ffxi each month is not paying for an item, its paying for the game experience which includes people among other things..

what does acp give you? a couple missions and a body piece you don't need to play the game

how many people actually enjoy the story? sure some will but then about 90% will just buy it with the item in mind and you know it
 Gilgamesh.Aerokii
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: aerokii
By Gilgamesh.Aerokii 2009-08-08 09:02:25
Link | Citer | R

I haven't finished the moogle one yet, but for ACP... yeah, most of the story was kind of BS (it could have been so much more in my opinion), but the final fight was actually really fun. The only hard part was organizing a party for it months after it came out when most people have already finished, so consider that as well.

I just finished last night, and I still think it was worth the time and effort to get that item.