Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 844 845 846 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-14 09:21:21
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
Do you need Clinton to fall in popularity for some reason or what?
Actually the whole world needs her to fall in popularity along with Bush. You can't honestly want another Clinton or Bush in office, do you?
Its a pity Bill can't run again.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-14 09:26:44
Link | Citer | R

Taxes, taxes, all fall down! Its even an Obamacare tax!

Everybody Has To Pay This New Obamacare Tax
Daily Caller

Quote:
All Americans who bought health insurance policies this year – not just those enrolled in Obamacare – face a 41 percent increase in excise taxes because of hidden fees contained in an obscure section of the Affordable Care Act, according to an investigation by The Daily Caller News Foundation.

Virtually everyone who pays for health care insurance this year will be affected by the tax. The little-known tax was imposed on all consumers regardless of whether they obtained their insurance through Obamacare or through their employer or as individuals in the private market.

This year the tax will cost individuals more than $500 in extra premiums according to one actuarial estimate. Families who purchased insurance will see their premiums go up by more than $700.

The new tax also hits senior citizens who rely on Medicare Part D and Medicare Advantage. It will land on the nation’s poor who depend upon Medicaid-managed care programs.

The 41 percent sticker shock increase doesn’t stop in 2015, however. Over the next four years, the statutorily mandated Obamacare fees are expected to double again.

Over the next decade, consumers will pay more than $145 billion for the tax, according to the Congressional Budget Office. The levy will continue to go up each and every year into the future.

The tax was buried by congressional authors in section 9010 of the law and was envisioned as a way to raise future funds to pay for Obamacare.

The Obamacare fees were designed by the program’s authors to be delayed, kicking in only in 2014 at $8 billion and mushrooming into a $14.3 billion annual price tag on insurance policies by 2018.

Republican Sen. John Barrasso, who favors repeal of section 9010, said the tax “is another example of how the president’s health care law was designed so the most painful parts of the law kick in years later.”

CBO reported the fee was a “statutorily fixed” amount that must be collected each year from consumers, as opposed to a percentage rate.

The statute describes the levy is an “annual fee” but health-care economists say it has been commonly referred to as an excise tax.

The Joint Committee on Taxation said the Obamacare tax was “similar to an excise tax based on the sales price of health insurance contracts.”

The panel predicted the fee on insurance policies would be borne by consumers. The panel also told then-Sen. Jon Kyl in a June 2011 letter that, “an excise tax generally is borne by consumers in the form of higher prices.”

An actuarial review of the Section 9010 by the management firm Oliver Wyman for the health insurance industry predicted that individual policyholders will pay $514 more this year due to the Obamacare tax.

Those who use small group policies will see a rise of $688, while family coverage would rise by $719, the firm stated.

Ironically, the elderly and the poor — those who were supposed to benefit most from Obamacare — will be adversely affected by the new tax, as will financially hard-pressed state governments.

Section 9010 mandates that taxes must be paid for seniors who rely on Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D.

Oliver Wyman estimated Medicare Advantage would cost seniors $360 more this year. Medicaid managed-care enrollees will be expected to face increases of $152, according to the firm.

Milliman, the national health actuarial firm, reported in 2014 that states will lose 52 cents for every dollar they receive from Medicaid because of the fee.

“The result is a transfer of $0.52 from state government to the federal government for every $1.00 of ACA health insurer fee,” the accounting firm said.

Milliman further said the Obamacare tax will cost states 1.8 percent to 2.8 percent more for Medicaid managed care, which is a low-cost way to offer medical services to the poor. Half of the nation’s Medicaid recipients are signed up by the states under Medicaid managed care, according to Milliman.

This fee, while seemingly low, can put many Medicare-managed care companies at great financial risk or perhaps out of business.

“Given Medicaid managed care profit margins were less than 2% in CY 2012, increases of this magnitude are meaningful,” Milliman said.

The actuarial firm estimated the Obamacare tax will cause the states that use Medicaid-managed care losses of up to $13.9 billion.

For years the health insurance industry has battled but failed to persuade Congress or the president to repeal the tax.

Earlier this year, Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch and Barrasso introduced legislation to repeal the excise tax. It has 38 Republican co-sponsors. No Democrats have backed the bill to date.

Hatch described the tax as “yet another hidden health care tax arbitrarily created to pay for Obamacare.”

Republican Rep. Charles W. Boustany introduced legislation in the House to repeal Section 9010. He has claimed bipartisan support among the 218 co-sponsors, a majority of the House.

The only group exempted from the tax are people who work in large corporations that “self-insure” their workforce. In a self-insurance system, no insurance company is used, only the company assets.

USA Families, a non-profit group that vigorously supports Obamacare, did not respond to a TheDCNF request for comment on the tax.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-14 09:33:55
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Actually the whole world needs her to fall in popularity along with Bush. You can't honestly want another Clinton or Bush in office, do you?
It's actually a huge blessing.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-08-14 09:34:13
Link | Citer | R

Bill couldn't win the Democratic party nomination again; it's moved so far to the left. If you look back fondly on the Clinton administration, a time of bipartisanship and balanced budgets, someone like John Kasich would be your choice.

Bill Clinton '96: "Today we are ending welfare as we know it."

Today, "Clinton vows to End Welfare" would be trending everywhere, followed by a retraction of "I misspoke."
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-08-14 09:36:55
Link | Citer | R

Drama Torama said: »
I'm assuming I'm the cop who shows up after the fifth noise complaint, in this scenario.

Nah I'm sure face to face it would be a lot more civil.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-08-14 09:37:38
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
You jerks better like Macaroni pie because I'm bringing it and some deep fried turkey.

Now that's deliciousness you can believe in.

Oh good someone remembered the turkey.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-14 09:38:30
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Nah I'm sure face to face it would be a lot more civil.
I expect a lot of slammed doors.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-14 09:40:47
Link | Citer | R

Where would this theoretical Thanksgiving take place?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-14 09:42:15
Link | Citer | R

Bill couldn't win the Democratic party nomination again; it's moved so far to the left.

Hold your hand out in front of you and make right angle with your thumb and forefinger. Which one makes an "L"? Don't worry, I have to help my nephew remember directions that way, too.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-14 09:42:43
Link | Citer | R

Vegas, duh.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-14 09:43:02
Link | Citer | R

I know a guy who would throw together a good event for us. He goes by the nickname "Jigsaw".
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-14 09:46:18
Link | Citer | R

Vegas, duh.
I was thinking more like Branson, MO.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-14 09:54:54
Link | Citer | R

So in other news, they're saying that Jindal and Perry (who can't even pay his staff now) will be the first candidates to drop out.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-14 10:03:35
Link | Citer | R

So in other news, they're saying that Jindal and Perry (who can't even pay his staff now) will be the first candidates to drop out.
I won't miss Jindal a bit, but Perry entertains. Then again we do have a real entertainer in the race.
Administrator
Serveur: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-08-14 10:04:42
Link | Citer | R

Hold your hand out in front of you and make right angle with your thumb and forefinger. Which one makes an "L"? Don't worry, I have to help my nephew remember directions that way, too.

You really don't think the Democratic party has shifted to the left since the 90s? Bill was a moderate even for that era; not saying his stance hasn't shifted too, but if you put 1992 Bill Clinton up on stage today, he's on the right of the aisle. Not far right - he's still a moderate - but not left at all.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-14 10:06:39
Link | Citer | R

Jeb Bush Leaves Door Open for Use of Torture
He said he could not rule out ordering brutal interrogations
Time

TLDR: "My brother did nothing wrong during his presidency and its all Obama's fault anyway."

Quote:
Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush on Thursday declined to rule out resuming the use of torture under some circumstances by the U.S. government.

“I don’t want to make a definitive, blanket kind of statement,” Bush told an audience of Iowa Republicans, when asked whether he would keep in place or repeal President Barack Obama’s executive order banning so-called enhanced interrogation techniques by the CIA.

“This is something that I’m actually struggling with because I’m running for president … and when you are president your words matter,” he said.

The former Florida governor said that in general, he believes torture is inappropriate, and that he was glad his brother, former President George W. Bush, largely ended the CIA’s use of the techniques before he left office. The CIA used waterboarding, slapping, nudity, sleep deprivation, humiliation and other methods to coerce al-Qaida detainees — methods the military would be prohibited from using on prisoners of war.

A Senate report released last year cited CIA records in concluding that the techniques were more brutal than previously disclosed, that the CIA lied about them, and that they failed to produce unique, life-saving intelligence. The CIA and its defenders take issue with the report.

Jeb Bush said he believed that the techniques were effective in producing intelligence, but that “now we’re in a different environment.”

He suggested there may be occasions when brutal interrogations were called for to keep the country safe.

“That’s why I’m not saying in every condition, under every possible scenario,” Bush said.

Bush has been walking a careful path, seeking to disassociate himself from some of the unpopular aspects of his brother’s legacy while praising him.

In discussing the Iraq war, for example, Bush, who previously acknowledged that the intelligence didn’t support the decision to invade, on Thursday said he had learned from some of the mistakes made during the occupation, including what he said was a wrong decision to disband the Iraqi military. He said his brother also now believes that was a mistake.

Bush blames the rise of the Islamic State group on what he said was Obama’s failure to negotiate an agreement to leave U.S. troops there in 2011. Asked if it was true that there would be no IS absent a U.S. invasion of Iraq, he said there was no way to know.

He repeated his call for a more aggressive posture toward the Islamic State group but, like the Obama administration, he opposes sending in regular U.S. ground forces. He does favor putting special operations troops on the battlefield.

Bush spoke at a foreign policy forum sponsored by Americans for Peace, Prosperity and Security, a group chaired by Mike Rogers, a former Republican congressman from Michigan who chaired the House Intelligence Committee.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-14 10:09:53
Link | Citer | R

I won't miss Jindal a bit, but Perry entertains. Then again we do have a real entertainer in the race.
Yeah Perry has lost his entertainment appeal this go around.

You really don't think the Democratic party has shifted to the left since the 90s? Bill was a moderate even for that era; not saying his stance hasn't shifted too, but if you put 1992 Bill Clinton up on stage today, he's on the right of the aisle. Not far right - he's still a moderate - but not left at all.
The whole political atmosphere has all shifted right. Even candidates considered left today would be considered moderate to right leaning 20 years ago.

It doesn't appear this trend will change any time soon, and probably go a little more to the right.

Which is odd in that some policies are very left leaning, but overall it's all gone to the right.

I think the system might be broken, lol.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-14 10:16:33
Link | Citer | R

No, I think the center moved.

The party hasn't shifted nearly as far left as the republicans have shifted right. Clinton was a southern Democrat, and definitely right of the party even at that time. The democrats may very well have shifted left in thought, but they sure haven't in practice. Now they start their negotiations in the middle then just give the far right whatever they want. You don't have to look any farther than PPACA to see how center they are. They had a super majority and the white house and they pushed a law that basically caters to big insurance and big pharma. If that's radical left, the rest of the Western world is completely off the map.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-14 10:20:25
Link | Citer | R

I always go by this type of grid. This one only has Hillary though. I'm sure there was that has all the past presidents up to Carter on it somewhere.

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-14 10:24:29
Link | Citer | R

Whenever people talk about the political atmosphere shifting right, they seem to always ignore the social issues. Clearly those have shifted left over the years. It's not all one-way.

*Edited for wording.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-14 10:27:16
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Whenever people talk about the political spectrum shifting right, they seem to always ignore the social issues. Clearly those have shifted left over the years. It's not all one-way.

The public's stance on them has shifted left, but the political spectrum clearly has not.
By fonewear 2015-08-14 10:34:08
Link | Citer | R

I always go by this type of grid. This one only has Hillary though. I'm sure there was that has all the past presidents up to Carter on it somewhere.

If I was on the grid I'd be so far to the right I'd actually be on the left !
By Jetackuu 2015-08-14 10:34:35
Link | Citer | R

balanced budgets
By fonewear 2015-08-14 10:36:14
Link | Citer | R

In the freest country in the world Belarus !
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-14 10:47:41
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »

I was thinking Latveria.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-14 10:48:40
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »

Free from everything except radiation induced cancer and birth defects.
By fonewear 2015-08-14 10:54:32
Link | Citer | R

We could get Bernie Sander to sponsor the Thanksgiving dinner. He'd just ask we all pay 10 dollars for it though.

You can't expect him to pay for it he is just a small time Senator from Vermont !
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-08-14 11:00:59
Link | Citer | R

Bernie Sanders drew this chart.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-14 11:16:38
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-14 11:33:11
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Aliens flew to earth on peace missions to prevent nuclear war between America and the Soviet Union at the start of the Cold War, according to a former Nasa astronaut.

None has ever been corroborated with independent evidence.

But his status as the sixth man to walk on the moon - during the Apollo 14 mission in 1971 - gives his claims a ready audience.

Now he says military top brass saw UFOs visiting Earth during weapons tests in the 1940s at American missile bases and the famous White Sands Proving Ground, in the New Mexico desert, where the world's first nuclear bomb was detonated in 1945.

"White Sands was a testing ground for atomic weapons - and that's what the extra-terrestrials were interested in," the 84-year-old Texan told Mirror Online.

"They wanted to know about our military capabilities.

"My own experience talking to people has made it clear the ETs had been attempting to keep us from going to war and help create peace on Earth."

He claims other officers manning missile silos or Pacific bases back up his claims with stories of alien spacecraft shooting down test rockets mid-flight.
Peaceloving aliens stopped nuclear war on earth, says retired astronaut
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 844 845 846 ... 1375 1376 1377