Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 481 482 483 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-06 12:06:13
Link | Citer | R

It's Oprah approved. No stopping it now.

[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Serveur: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-06 12:08:23
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
You do realize that you don't need to leave the states to do this do you not?

I've said "domestic or otherwise" a few times in relation to this. Going to India and exploiting poor people to do it just makes it worse.

How you can not think your viewpoint is silly when we have plenty of evidence showing that anyone having a child whether by natural birth, surrogacy or adoption can be good or shitty parents blows my mind.

I've said this is an issue I have a personal tie to, haven't I? Maybe I'll reword myself. While it does not by default make you a bad parent to use a surrogate, I still maintain that it makes you a selfish and arrogant one. And let's not forget that the definition of "good parent" is extremely *** subjective to boot.

Also, you seem to be trying to say that I think people who have children naturally are automatically good parents, or that people are bad people just because they can't have children naturally. Neither is the case.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-06 12:10:15
Link | Citer | R

volkom said: »
Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
The idea of a surrogate isn't the problem.

It's inadvertently exploiting vulnerable, desperate women to be your breeding machine that's the problem. Women who will be treated about as well as cows on a farm for the sake of efficiency.

They're both problems to me.

Surrogacy is the very height of human arrogance.

"Well, my wife and I can't have children directly, and even though there are plenty of children who need us, I'm going to go out of my way to stick our genetic material into a third party so that my genetic material is what grows up happy and healthy."

...and then they turn around and "get the most for their money" by sticking their white bread test tube baby into a woman (or, hell, probably a girl) who doesn't know any better and views it as her best choice in life?

Did not watch Friends nearly enough to know what's going on, that video provides no context and while it's clear she's giving them up, I don't know why.

But it still supports additional (potential) emotional trauma to the surrogate giving up a child that she has carried and been hormonally tied to, which is yet another downside.
By volkom 2015-04-06 12:13:06
Link | Citer | R

Phoebe was a surrogate mom cuz her best friend couldn't do it naturally
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-06 12:14:11
Link | Citer | R

I thought it was her cousin or relative.
By volkom 2015-04-06 12:14:41
Link | Citer | R

something like that. was a long time ago since i watched that episode
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-06 12:16:26
Link | Citer | R

You do realize that you don't need to leave the states to do this do you not?

I've said "domestic or otherwise" a few times in relation to this. Going to India and exploiting poor people to do it just makes it worse.

How you can not think your viewpoint is silly when we have plenty of evidence showing that anyone having a child whether by natural birth, surrogacy or adoption can be good or shitty parents blows my mind.

I've said this is an issue I have a personal tie to, haven't I? Maybe I'll reword myself. While it does not by default make you a bad parent to use a surrogate, I still maintain that it makes you a selfish and arrogant one. And let's not forget that the definition of "good parent" is extremely *** subjective to boot.
In your last post you specifically accused me of "advocating going literally across the world to stick your genetic material in an impoverished Indian woman" which is utter *** and more of your add a little shock to the accusations to lend any kind of legitimacy to it "style".

Finally some sense out of you!

Selfish and arrogant? Well at least we've established that this is purely your opinion and ignored as such easily enough.

Being a good parent isn't all that subjective. How you get there is more of the subjective part people argue over.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-06 12:16:37
Link | Citer | R

It's why I'm not opposed to surrogacy as a means of childbirth. Thr article also went out of its way to say that some parents chose to take care of their surrogate financially but the argument still comes back to one of exploitation. Especially considering the remote relationship and the state of the third-world.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-06 12:17:20
Link | Citer | R

volkom said: »
Phoebe was a surrogate mom cuz her best friend couldn't do it naturally
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
I thought it was her cousin or relative.
It was her brother.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-04-06 12:20:02
Link | Citer | R

The clinic and the founder that outsources surrogacy was.

I still wonder how in the Hell this woman has a following, considering that her own African school has faced controversies over abuse, sexual and otherwise, at the hands of staff, parents unable to see their kids that are enrolled, plugging Oz and the 'Million Little Pieces' author, etc.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-06 12:20:40
Link | Citer | R

this is purely your opinion and ignored as such easily enough.

...you, actually, have a very long and illustrious history of not being able to ignore my opinions. ^^;

Being a good parent isn't all that subjective.

Are you *** kidding me?

"Good parenting" is about as subjective as it gets. It could be someone's opinion that because I'm me, my parents were awful. And it would in turn be my opinion that they haven't got a clue.

And that's just ever so barely scratching the surface.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-06 12:24:13
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

The clinic and the founder that outsources surrogacy was.

I still wonder how in the Hell this woman has a following, considering that her own African school has faced controversies over abuse, sexual and otherwise, at the hands of staff, parents unable to see their kids that are enrolled, plugging Oz and the 'Million Little Pieces' author, etc.
Yeah that's the part that gets me is when big name celebrities endorse this stuff.

Bad enough as it stands, but when they're like 'hey this great' to people that take their word as the voice of reason, ugh.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-06 12:31:17
Link | Citer | R

Thanks to Oprah, we have endless reruns of Dr. Phil.

A fate worse than being waterboarded.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-06 12:33:46
Link | Citer | R

Thanks to Oprah, we have endless reruns of Dr. Phil.

A fate worse than being waterboarded.

And how does that make you feel !
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-06 12:35:28
Link | Citer | R

...you, actually, have a very long and illustrious history of not being able to ignore my opinions. ^^;
I don't think you know what either of those words mean to describe that or I don't think you would have used them lol... Looks more like one of those I saw that used that way in a sentance before!

Are you *** kidding me?

"Good parenting" is about as subjective as it gets. It could be someone's opinion that because I'm me, my parents were awful. And it would in turn be my opinion that they haven't got a clue.

And that's just ever so barely scratching the surface.
I am not kidding you. People most certainly disagree on what you should be doing while raising your child but regardless of the path you take the outcome is rarely argued with.

I wouldn't think your parents were awful. I don't even think you're an awful person. I think your a stubborn idiot who would rather force his ways on others than actually figure out whats best for the whole but yeah. Other than that you seem like a decent enough person who could have had pretty good parents.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-06 12:37:28
Link | Citer | R

I don't think you know what either of those words mean to describe that or I don't think you would have used them lol... Looks more like one of those I saw that used that way in a sentance before!

Now you're just being overly literal for the sake of of a quick jibe.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-06 12:38:40
Link | Citer | R

You would spell it with a j...
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-06 12:38:45
Link | Citer | R

Have you ever met the people that are into adopting kids?

It makes eugenics seem like a good thing.

"We only want a Vietnamese girl between the ages of 1-3 with blue eyes."

Adoption should be first in, first out. Then it would be more like having a child through natural means.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-06 12:42:12
Link | Citer | R

That's one of the problems with adoption I mentioned earlier. People start off with the fresh babies, whittle out the desirable races then for anyone who ages out of the sweet spot or are black/hispanic/*dark* you're ***.

Might as well walk into the incinerators right now.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-06 12:42:50
Link | Citer | R

Adoption should be first in, first out. Then it would be more like having a child through natural means.

Complete with the mandatory trip to Maury when the baby isn't your race.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-06 12:45:05
Link | Citer | R

Wait a minute, you're telling me adoption isn't like Different Strokes?

/shocked
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-06 12:46:32
Link | Citer | R

You would spell it with a j...

Corrections from the frequent your/you're offender!
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-04-06 12:48:17
Link | Citer | R

The idea of a surrogate isn't the problem.

It's inadvertently exploiting vulnerable, desperate women to be your breeding machine that's the problem. Women who will be treated about as well as cows on a farm for the sake of efficiency.
This.

This crusade of yours Ramyrez seems completely irrational to me. Leaving aside people treated like cattle in India, which I don't think anyone disagrees on being inhuman, surrogacy is not a wrong practice. Even if your point was that Earth is overcrowded which is certainly true, well even under population control 1 child per family should be allowed, so.

And passing down genetic material is one of the very basics of every life form.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-06 12:51:37
Link | Citer | R

In other news today:

Quote:
The University of Virginia fraternity chapter at the center of Rolling Stone magazine's retracted article "A Rape on Campus" said on Monday that it planned to sue the magazine for what it called "reckless" reporting that hurt its reputation.

The chapter of Phi Kappa Psi said in a statement that it would pursue all available legal action, a day after a team from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism concluded the magazine failed to follow basic journalistic safeguards in publishing the story.
Virginia fraternity chapter says it will sue Rolling Stone

I'm sure y'all remember this story.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-06 12:51:45
Link | Citer | R

Adoption and standard childbirth aren't mutually exclusive. Adoption is just a huge pain in the *** many don't want to deal with or fully understand.

When I finally ascend to overlord though I'll be sure to adopt a multi-ethnic cadre of children and summarily refer to them as the Allied Forces of Altana.

Look out Jolie, I'm planning a coup.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-06 12:52:56
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
And passing down genetic material is one of the very basics of every life form.

"Natural urges" are a poor excuse for anything. Also, one could argue that if you can't have a baby, nature has dictated that; you're actually defying nature by trying to force the issue!

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
seems completely irrational to me

I think it's irrational to insist upon having another human carry your baby; even though you're physically unable to do so rather than adopting a child who desperately needs a loving home.

Opinions!
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-06 12:54:08
Link | Citer | R

Adoption and standard childbirth aren't mutually exclusive. Adoption is just a huge pain in the *** many don't want to deal with or fully understand.

I would submit that if you can "deal with and understand" surrogacy, you can figure out adoption, too.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-06 12:54:32
Link | Citer | R

Complete with the mandatory trip to Maury when the baby isn't your race.
There was a lady recently who got a sperm donation from a clinic only to find out 9 months later they gave her the wrong sample and ended up with a biracial baby.

She was decried as a racist by some for wanting the clinis to pay for their mistake. The clinic offered an apology and a partial refund lol.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-06 12:56:13
Link | Citer | R

Ah sperm clinics. The height of human existence.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-04-06 12:56:19
Link | Citer | R

I think it's irrational to insist upon having another human carry your baby; even though you're physically unable to do so rather than adopting a child who desperately needs a loving home.

Opinions!

Surrogacy and adoption are really two different subjects, though. Though they may serve similar purposes, they are very different approaches. I agree, adoption should be more prominent and we need to address it's systemic problems, but surrogacy shouldn't be taken off the table. Make adoption a more appealing option for people, then we can address the issues with surrogacy.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 481 482 483 ... 1375 1376 1377