Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 475 476 477 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Serveur: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-02 13:34:21
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
If we hadn't used them in the way we did, someone else would have used them in a manner that is unpredictable. It's pretty hard to imagine a better track record than "one and done".

Well, it's not hard to imagine at all. "Never used because never needed."

That said, that's also an unrealistic and idealist situation.

Which is sort of the issue, isn't it? I can't imagine -- knowing what we know in the 21st century -- anyone wanting to use the *** things at all.

But surely there are whackos out there with nothing to lose by doing so who would love to get their hands on them.

So the questions concerning Iran are multi-factoral. Do they have ill intent? Are they easily swayed by, infested by, or victimized by a country or group that has ill intent? Do we have the right to tell them they can't develop something we already have?

Look, the bottom line is that no, I don't want them having them. But that's based on my feelings. Which you and others repeatedly decry. I don't trust us with them, let alone anyone else, so the fewer countries that have them the better.
By fonewear 2015-04-02 13:36:02
Link | Citer | R

Obama's hair is very gray...Half Life 3 confirmed !
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-02 13:36:11
Link | Citer | R

It's just apart of evolution.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-02 13:36:36
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
Cue the Fallout 3 Fatman gun !

Fallout <=> Adventure Time mash up time line that actually makes a ton of sense.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-02 13:37:56
Link | Citer | R

Half Life 3 confirmed
If it's even real, it would be Half Life 2, episode 3. They left it at a cliffhanger. Need to finish the story. It's been what, 10 years now?
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-02 13:38:48
Link | Citer | R

Obama's hair is very gray...Half Life 3 confirmed !

Don't joke, dawg. Don't joke.

HL3 will break the internet.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-02 13:39:07
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Half Life 3 confirmed
If it's even real, it would be Half Life 2, episode 3. They left it at a cliffhanger. Need to finish the story. It's been what, 10 years now?

Eight, just about. 10/2007.
By fonewear 2015-04-02 13:39:08
Link | Citer | R

Half Life 3 confirmed

Seems longer...
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-02 13:40:21
Link | Citer | R

One typo, totally changes your meaning!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-02 13:41:38
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »

Both kinda work.

Revolution into evolution.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-02 13:43:06
Link | Citer | R

Both kinda work.

From a selfish point of view and wanting to keep living, I resist this thought.

But I mean, once I'm gone? By all means.
 Lye
By Lye 2015-04-02 13:43:12
Link | Citer | R

Nevermind. I actually don't want to read what you're about to write.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-02 13:53:15
Link | Citer | R

If we hadn't used them in the way we did, someone else would have used them in a manner that is unpredictable. It's pretty hard to imagine a better track record than "one and done".

Well, it's not hard to imagine at all. "Never used because never needed."

That said, that's also an unrealistic and idealist situation.

Which is sort of the issue, isn't it? I can't imagine -- knowing what we know in the 21st century -- anyone wanting to use the *** things at all.

But surely there are whackos out there with nothing to lose by doing so who would love to get their hands on them.

So the questions concerning Iran are multi-factoral. Do they have ill intent? Are they easily swayed by, infested by, or victimized by a country or group that has ill intent? Do we have the right to tell them they can't develop something we already have?

Look, the bottom line is that no, I don't want them having them. But that's based on my feelings. Which you and others repeatedly decry. I don't trust us with them, let alone anyone else, so the fewer countries that have them the better.

You don't trust US with them? Why not? We've only used them once to successfully end one world war.

I don't get how you don't see the avoidance of millions more casualties (let alone American casualties) involved in a mainland japan invasion as a upside to our usage of them.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-02 13:57:13
Link | Citer | R

Both kinda work.

From a selfish point of view and wanting to keep living, I resist this thought.

But I mean, once I'm gone? By all means.
Just don't go before me.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-02 13:58:51
Link | Citer | R

Can't be scared of a little nuking.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-02 14:17:03
Link | Citer | R

I don't get how you don't see the avoidance of millions more casualties (let alone American casualties) involved in a mainland japan invasion as a upside to our usage of them.

I don't engage in "what if" historical debates. Sorry. It's too easy to cricitize with 20/20 hindsight. I can't say that you're right or wrong. Just that it was a mournable loss of hundreds of thousands, a large percentage of them innocents.

Count me among the people that count harnessing the power of the atom as both an all-time high and low at the same time.

And as you'll note that I said, I go back and forth on the issue.

I'm a cynical optimist, Nausi. I hope for the best and expect the worst.

I don't see arming more countries with nuclear weapons as a positive thing, ever. But I also see the hypocrisy is trying to block it.
 Siren.Mosin
Serveur: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-04-02 14:19:20
Link | Citer | R

India & Pakistan are the real nuclear threat. all this talk about Iran is silly.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-02 14:32:33
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Mosin said: »
India & Pakistan are the real nuclear threat. all this talk about Iran is silly.
Iran getting them means that The Saudis and others will pursue them as well.

I can see it from their point of view though. How would you view it if a foreign nation was telling you what you could and couldn't do? What if China starts imposing sanctions on us to get us to do something would you expect us to just give in?

I'm all for making lasting treaties that foster growth and better relations between nations rather than beating them down as much as we can and fostering a hatred that won't go away until one day they get em anyways and start to cause even more problems. We're always very shortsighted when it comes to dealing with things like these.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-02 14:38:48
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
What if China starts imposing sanctions on us to get us to do something would you expect us to just give in?
Sanctions only work if you have the economic power to do so.

Why else do you think Russia laughed at the US for their "sanctions"?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-02 15:07:09
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
What if China starts imposing sanctions on us to get us to do something would you expect us to just give in?

It's a hypothetical.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-02 15:25:30
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

It's a hypothetical.
I knew it was a hypothetical, I was giving you an answer as why it wouldn't work.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-02 15:48:12
Link | Citer | R

Obama on Iran deal: You're welcome America.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-02 16:05:27
Link | Citer | R

Swedish Foreign Minister speaks out against Saudis

Quote:
If the cries of ‘Je suis Charlie’ were sincere, the western world would be convulsed with worry and anger about the Wallström affair. It has all the ingredients for a clash-of-civilisations confrontation.

A few weeks ago Margot Wallström, the Swedish foreign minister, denounced the subjugation of women in Saudi Arabia. As the theocratic kingdom prevents women from travelling, conducting official business or marrying without the permission of male guardians, and as girls can be forced into child marriages where they are effectively raped by old men, she was telling no more than the truth. Wallström went on to condemn the Saudi courts for ordering that Raif Badawi receive ten years in prison and 1,000 lashes for setting up a website that championed secularism and free speech. These were ‘mediaeval methods’, she said, and a ‘cruel attempt to silence modern forms of expression’. And once again, who can argue with that?

The backlash followed the pattern set by Rushdie, the Danish cartoons and Hebdo. Saudi Arabia withdrew its ambassador and stopped issuing visas to Swedish businessmen. The United Arab Emirates joined it. The Organisation of Islamic Co-operation, which represents 56 Muslim-majority states, accused Sweden of failing to respect the world’s ‘rich and varied ethical standards’ — standards so rich and varied, apparently, they include the flogging of bloggers and encouragement of paedophiles. Meanwhile, the Gulf Co-operation Council condemned her ‘unaccept-able interference in the internal affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’, and I wouldn’t bet against anti-Swedish riots following soon.

So tired of "cultural and religious beliefs" being used as an excuse to belittle, marginalize, degrade, and brutalize people around the world. We're lucky it's so mild in the U.S., but no level is acceptable.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-02 16:06:27
Link | Citer | R

*sniffs*

*sniffs*

Not to detract too much from the valid points it brings up, but it still smells like fear mongering.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-02 16:10:22
Link | Citer | R

*sniffs*

*sniffs*

Not to detract too much from the valid points it brings up, but it still smells like fear mongering.
Check the source.

Conservative websites are just as bad as the liberal ones. I tend to stay away from them, if I were you.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-02 17:24:30
Link | Citer | R

Hotair.com so many jokes so little time.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-02 17:42:15
Link | Citer | R

Swedish Foreign Minister speaks out against Saudis

Quote:
If the cries of ‘Je suis Charlie’ were sincere, the western world would be convulsed with worry and anger about the Wallström affair. It has all the ingredients for a clash-of-civilisations confrontation.

A few weeks ago Margot Wallström, the Swedish foreign minister, denounced the subjugation of women in Saudi Arabia. As the theocratic kingdom prevents women from travelling, conducting official business or marrying without the permission of male guardians, and as girls can be forced into child marriages where they are effectively raped by old men, she was telling no more than the truth. Wallström went on to condemn the Saudi courts for ordering that Raif Badawi receive ten years in prison and 1,000 lashes for setting up a website that championed secularism and free speech. These were ‘mediaeval methods’, she said, and a ‘cruel attempt to silence modern forms of expression’. And once again, who can argue with that?

The backlash followed the pattern set by Rushdie, the Danish cartoons and Hebdo. Saudi Arabia withdrew its ambassador and stopped issuing visas to Swedish businessmen. The United Arab Emirates joined it. The Organisation of Islamic Co-operation, which represents 56 Muslim-majority states, accused Sweden of failing to respect the world’s ‘rich and varied ethical standards’ — standards so rich and varied, apparently, they include the flogging of bloggers and encouragement of paedophiles. Meanwhile, the Gulf Co-operation Council condemned her ‘unaccept-able interference in the internal affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’, and I wouldn’t bet against anti-Swedish riots following soon.

So tired of "cultural and religious beliefs" being used as an excuse to belittle, marginalize, degrade, and brutalize people around the world. We're lucky it's so mild in the U.S., but no level is acceptable.

The whole thing comes down to wanting stability for monetary reasons. We don't want to piss off the ME because the countries we stand to annoy are at least stable and cooperative. They can beat their women and engage in all manner of medieval standards so long as they keep the spice flowing. Taking the moral high ground does little else than disrupt the economic transactions and inflame anti-Islamic sentiments.

Seeing what the standard is in other ME nations, the inhumane treatment of persons is a small price to pay for stability. At least from the perspective of western playmakers. Considering you've got jihadis looking to turn the whole region into 700AD, they may have a point.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-02 17:47:03
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
The whole thing comes down to wanting stability for monetary reasons. We don't want to piss off the ME because the countries we stand to annoy are at least stable and cooperative. They can beat their women and engage in all manner of medieval standards so long as they keep the spice flowing.

Seeing what the standard is in other ME nations, the inhumane treatment of persons is a small price to pay for stability. Considering you've got jihadis looking to turn the whole region into 700AD.

I've admitted many times that I'm an idealist. But I'm not one that doesn't understand "the price of doing business".

But I would be 100% lying if I said I didn't feel like we should ride in there, guns blazing, bayonets flashing, cutting down every backward mother *** who thinks women are property and little girls are acceptable "brides" before they're barely old enough to understand their menses.

If anyone ever wonders why I get so vehement about religion, if you've ever wondered why I get so upset over outdated, idiotic dogma that only serves to repress people, look no further than the extremist Muslims and know that Christianity, while "better", is still chock full of the same outmoded, repressive teachings that look to treat with hate, violence, and ostracization those who only seek to live and let live.

And if the military was dedicated to doing that -- to providing true freedom, true liberation -- then I would sign up right this second -- doing whatever it took to lose weight, build muscle, or whatever else -- to ensure actual liberty was provided worldwide.

Not simply a "friendly environment" for U.S. corporations to do business.

Also...*ahem*...

"In vino veritas."

I may have come home and started dropping Jim and Cokes while making dinner.
By fonewear 2015-04-02 17:49:59
Link | Citer | R

Sounds like you are describing the ACLU....
By fonewear 2015-04-02 17:53:07
Link | Citer | R

Speaking of random internet issues.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/duke-university-student-hung-noose-longer-campus/story?id=30071867

A student at Duke University has admitted to hanging a noose on a tree on campus that sparked protests throughout the week, according to school authorities.

The college announced that the individual has been identified as a result of its investigation but the person's name has not been released.

What, if any, punishment the student will face remains unknown.

Duke University Investigating Noose Found Hanging on Campus

"The student is no longer on campus," Duke spokesman Keith Lawrence said, declining to give any further explanation though noting that no punishment has been issued since the individual has not yet gone through the school's judicial hearing system.

"The student will be subject to Duke’s student conduct process," the school statement said.

Lawrence told ABC News that he could not speculate on the possible punishment in this case. In the past, conduct boards made up of a mix of students and faculty members have issued punishments for students found guilty that range from some form of disciplinary action to suspension or expulsion.

The investigation into the noose, which was reportedly found hanging from a tree early Wednesday morning, is ongoing as officials said they must determine if the student acted alone.

The student may also be subject to criminal charges, depending on what state and federal officials determine.
First Page 2 3 ... 475 476 477 ... 1375 1376 1377