Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1224 1225 1226 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Ramyrez 2016-02-01 12:43:40
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Mosin said: »
you've got a lot of work to do if you're to fill those shoes, bubba.

Mmm. Shrimp sound good.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-02-01 13:52:50
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
I'm just waiting for you to die

you and me both sister...

/reclines in flavin's lawnchair
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-02-01 14:41:06
Link | Citer | R

Started taking a superficial look at some candidates that are less talked about over here. I'm coming to the conclusion that Cruz might be the biggest nutjob of the lot, even worse than Trump lol.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-02-01 14:42:48
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Started taking a superficial look at some candidates that are less talked about over here. I'm coming to the conclusion that Cruz might be the biggest nutjob of the lot, even worse than Trump lol.

He's like Trump if Trump also decided to go batshit God crazy.

Which is why Trump is now playing the "I'd appoint judges who would repeal gay marriage rights" card. He's trying to tickle the deity-obsessed closed-minders from Cruz.

He's basically American ISIS.

That may sound harsh, but they're terrorists, and I'm terrified of a man like him having any more power, so...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-02-01 14:46:58
Link | Citer | R

Chris Christie '16!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-02-01 14:47:54
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Deez Nuts '16!
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-02-01 14:53:26
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Restaurants could get new filing requirements
How are we to identify the potential discrepancies that do exist if employers aren't asked to report this information?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-02-01 15:01:40
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Restaurants could get new filing requirements
How are we to identify the potential discrepancies that do exist if employers aren't asked to report this information?
What good will it do?

A male server makes 2.13/hr plus tips in Texas.
A female server makes 2.13/hr plus tips in Texas.

There, I just covered every restaurant (not fast food) in Texas. Big whoop.

How does that solve anything? What is this report supposed to do or what information is it supposed to convey? Tips cannot be included because service is dependent on the type of restaurant and the server themselves.

It's just another step towards solving nothing but making more problems for people/businesses. And I guarantee you, there will be an additional cost to make these filings.

tl;dr version - the government shouldn't force people to report for reporting sake, especially if the information isn't relevant for the intended purpose.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-02-01 15:08:54
Link | Citer | R

Collecting more data is a way to reduce the influence of confounding factors (the things you listed last page). If some kind of discrimination exists, then knowing the payroll information breakdown would be essential. I'm not sure why that reporting would be considered irrelevant.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-02-01 15:28:19
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Collecting more data is a way to reduce the influence of confounding factors (the things you listed last page). If some kind of discrimination exists, then knowing the payroll information breakdown would be essential. I'm not sure why that reporting would be considered irrelevant.
Because it's common knowledge?

Let me ask you this: What sort of information can be obtained by collecting the data of the number of toes an average human has? What purpose would that serve?

Most restaurants pay pretty much the same price for labor. Sure, you will get discrepancies between states, due to state law, but if an industry is paying $X.XX amount per server, regardless of color or sex, then what's the point in forcing restaurants to report what the industry does?

I would understand if the government would require other industries, such as professional service industries, to report said wages, but even then, that information would be irrelevant as there are many other factors involved besides the notion of sex or race. And the government just wouldn't get it.

As far as the government is concerned, there is no other outlying differences between two accountants other than sex, race, religious preference, sexual habits, or any of the protected classes created by the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-02-01 15:40:09
Link | Citer | R

You're making the assumption that pay is equal regardless of race or sex. That's why data is collected - to see if that is true or not.

And I literally just said that collecting more data helps reduce the influence of confounding factors (variables unrelated to the ones of interest that confuse results). Now that these agencies will be able to look at this data more easily from payrolls outside of the government, it'll provide a more complete picture of what is actually happening.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-02-01 15:48:56
Link | Citer | R

Anna Ruthven said: »
he made Bush look good.
No. Obama can actually pronounce the words in his speeches.
Bush never needed a teleprompter to speak....
He can't read that fast.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-02-01 21:25:39
Link | Citer | R

Looks like Cruz is going to win Iowa by about 5k votes over Trump, who is about 3k ahead of Rubio, then a dramatic drop to Carson in 4th, Rand Paul in 5th.
Clinton is ahead of Sanders by 1%, 50-49 with 82% reporting. O'malley is dropping out of the race after today. He will make a good running mate and set himself up to run again in later elections.
By Altimaomega 2016-02-01 21:29:34
Link | Citer | R

Surprised Rubio is doing so well. The only half sane democrat is getting 1%.. Hilarious!
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-02-01 21:33:40
Link | Citer | R

Rubio was projected to finish no less than 3rd. I'm surprised Carson had such a good showing, and not surprised at all that Fiorina did not.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-02-01 21:38:16
Link | Citer | R

Getting word now that Huckabee is finally dropping out. I would expect Santorum to follow.
By Altimaomega 2016-02-01 21:38:30
Link | Citer | R

It's the strong 3rd that is surprising. He almost got as many votes as Trump. Also noting that the Repubs are showing how many people voted while the Dems are only showing percentages.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-02-01 21:41:28
Link | Citer | R

Because all of the votes have been tallied on the GOP side while they are still counting on the Dem side. They will show the totals when all precincts are reporting.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-02-01 21:44:08
Link | Citer | R

Altimaomega said: »
It's the strong 3rd that is surprising. He almost got as many votes as Trump. Also noting that the Repubs are showing how many people voted while the Dems are only showing percentages.

They still haven't figured out how many dead people need to vote to give them the results they want. Give it a few hours.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-02-01 22:02:56
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
President Rubio. Get used to saying that.
By Altimaomega 2016-02-01 22:39:59
Link | Citer | R

So what am I missing here?

Republicans had 175k voters turn out. With 99% in
Democrats had 1.3k voters as far as I can find. With 95% in

Plus headlines like this.
Quote:
High turnout at a Des Moines college leads to a ‘ridiculously crowded’ and ‘crazy’ caucus.
Sanders has emerged as Clinton’s top rival, after climbing in the polls. Heading into caucus day, he was within striking distance of Clinton.

Officials announced that, after the initial alignment, Sanders was in the lead, with 248 supporters. Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley was in second place, with 108 supporters, and Clinton in third with 107.

463 is ‘ridiculously crowded’ and ‘crazy’ caucus, for the Dems.. WTF!
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-02-01 22:50:56
Link | Citer | R

The Iowa caucus is a strange event, its nothing like a regular primary where you just go to a booth and punch in your vote. Its actually a huge pain in the ***, and I don't know why they don't reform it.
This is a summary of the event for the Dems:
Quote:
As soon as the meetings open, attendees must declare a preference for a candidate.

Typically, backers of each presidential hopeful physically stake out positions around the room. People who still can't make up their mind join a group known as "uncommitted."

This is where it gets complicated. In order to be considered "viable," a group must clear a certain threshold -- usually around 15% of the entire caucus turnout in each precinct.

Once first-round votes are tallied, anyone stuck in a group that is not "viable" has the chance to align with a candidate who has passed the threshold.

But it's one of the cruel realities of the caucuses that if the O'Malley pack is too small, all the determination in the world won't be enough, and his supporters will have to decide whether to join backers of either former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton or Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders during a second count -- known as a "re-alignment period."

You have to get there at 7 pm, its basically in a gym, and they break you up into groups, for the Dems it was either Clinton or Sanders, so all the Clinton supporters go stand over there, and the Sanders voters go stand over there, and they count the heads and thats the caucus in a nutshell.

Its bizarre and its why there is such low turnout in Iowa, if you can't make it on time (7 pm) you can't caucus.

Edit- That 463 number is from one precinct, so one gym basically.
By Altimaomega 2016-02-01 23:01:19
Link | Citer | R

Yes, I know. But the highest number I've seen showing up for the Dems altogether is 1.3k, and I am rounding up.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-02-01 23:07:56
Link | Citer | R

Thats obviously not the total number of votes, it is probably the highest turnout at any one precinct.
By Altimaomega 2016-02-01 23:10:33
Link | Citer | R

Ah, Okay. Could make sense that way. I guess.
By Altimaomega 2016-02-02 00:42:59
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Sometimes, Iowa Democrats award caucus delegates with a coin flip
Here’s what happened, according to David Schweingruber, an associate professor of sociology at Iowa State University (and Sanders supporter) who participated in the caucus:

A total of 484 eligible caucus attendees were initially recorded at the site. But when each candidate’s preference group was counted, Clinton had 240 supporters, Sanders had 179 and Martin O’Malley had five (causing him to be declared non-viable).

Those figures add up to just 424 participants, leaving 60 apparently missing. When those numbers were plugged into the formula that determines delegate allocations, Clinton received four delegates and Sanders received three — leaving one delegate unassigned.

Unable to account for that numerical discrepancy and the orphan delegate it produced, the Sanders campaign challenged the results and precinct leaders called a Democratic Party hot line set up to advise on such situations.

Party officials recommended they settle the dispute with a coin toss.

A Clinton supporter correctly called “heads” on a quarter flipped in the air, and Clinton received a fifth delegate.

Similar situations were reported elsewhere, including at a precinct in Des Moines, at another precinct in Des Moines, in Newton, in West Branch and in Davenport. In all five situations, Clinton won the toss.
Quote:
DES MOINES, Iowa — The room at Bernie Sanders' rally here turned ice cold when Hillary Clinton's speech took over the televisions here.
The crowd booed loudly at first, then cheered when the sound cut out. The sound soon returned and Clinton was drowned out by further boos when she said "I'm a progressive who gets things done."
It escalated from there: Chants of "She's a liar!" took over the room before the campaign just entirely shut off the stream, cutting away from MSNBC entirely.

Here I am thinking the Republicans are hard on each other.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-02-02 00:48:33
Link | Citer | R

Like I said the Iowa caucus is strange.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-02-02 01:14:38
Link | Citer | R

Altimaomega said: »
Surprised Rubio is doing so well. The only half sane democrat is getting 1%.. Hilarious!

Iowa tends to be a heavily liberal state, also don't base Republican nomination predictions on the result of the Iowa Caucasus, it tends to be wonky at the best of times. We'll have a more solid idea after the Texas / Florida / Ohio / New York votes are in.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-02-02 01:14:54
Link | Citer | R

She won five coin tosses in a row? I mean sure, that's possible, but at a 3.125% chance....
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2016-02-02 06:12:43
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
She won five coin tosses in a row? I mean sure, that's possible, but at a 3.125% chance....
Did this clear sign by god make Cruz stop his campaign?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1224 1225 1226 ... 1375 1376 1377