U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
First Page 2 3 ... 29 30 31 ... 44 45 46
 Leviathan.Tribalprophet
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Tribalprophet 2014-05-21 02:05:38
Link | Citer | R

Altimaomega said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
We already know you have no handle on these concepts. Your constant reminders are not necessary.

The evidence you have presented has convinced me of the global chaos THEORY.

(The·o·ry) noun \ˈthē-ə-rē, ˈthir-ē\
a : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation
b : an unproved assumption : conjecture

When some Solid FACTS are presented, I believe hell will freeze over.

Since you love definitions and such, I thought I should point out that you're looking up the wrong term. It's not "theory" that we're talking about. It's "Scientific Theory". You may as well be quoting the definition of dog food for all the good it's making you look.

Here's a quick sentence from the Wikipedia article on Scientific Theory to get you started:

"This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a guess (i.e., unsubstantiated and speculative)."
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-21 02:05:59
Link | Citer | R

Every time someone uses a dictionary definition as an argument, Lord Xenu destroys a fully-inhabited planet. You copied the wrong definition, anyway.
 Bahamut.Kara
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-05-21 02:08:08
Link | Citer | R

Altimaomega said: »
We already know you have no handle on these concepts. Your constant reminders are not necessary.

The evidence you have presented has convinced me of the global chaos THEORY.

(The·o·ry) noun \ˈthē-ə-rē, ˈthir-ē\
a : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation
b : an unproved assumption : conjecture

When some Solid FACTS are presented, I believe hell will freeze over.

Tim Minchin said:
"But evolution Climate change is only a theory!”, which is true, it is a theory, it’s good that they say that, I think, it gives you hope, doesn’t it, that - that maybe they feel the same way about the theory of gravity… and they might just float the *** away.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-21 03:40:25
Link | Citer | R

Pat Sajak calls global warming activists ‘unpatriotic racists’

Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-21 03:43:19
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Huffington post, a known liberal site
That's what I thought too, but apparently I was wrong.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-21 03:44:22
Link | Citer | R

Facts won't keep this thread going so here's this:
Pat Sajak: “global warming alarmists are unpatriotic racists”
Damn you beat me to it!

EDIT: Ok this one.

President Obama's Global Warming Calculated Deception Means Democrats Have Abandoned Working People

Quote:
While the National Climate Assessment, and Obama talking points, use the term carbon “pollution,” carbon dioxide (CO2), the “greenhouse gas” supposedly causing most of the trouble, is a natural substance essential for the survival of all life on the planet. Plants need CO2 to grow and conduct photosynthesis, which is the natural process that creates food for animals and fish at the bottom of the food chain.

Indeed, the increased atmospheric concentration of CO2 as the industrial revolution has flourished worldwide has increased agricultural output and production over the last 20 years by well over $1 trillion. As a result, the only documented effects of increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere so far have been positive.

In addition, even with increasing human CO2 emissions, carbon dioxide is still a trace gas in the environment, constituting just 0.04% of the atmosphere, or 4/100ths of one percent. Indeed, we still live in a carbon dioxide starved world today, especially given the crucial importance of CO2 to plant and animal life. Proxy data shows that during the Pre-Cambrian period, about 550 million years ago, CO2 concentration levels were 15 times greater. Yet, no record of any catastrophic results. Instead, modern life flourished and evolved.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-21 04:11:34
Link | Citer | R

That link gave me cancer.
By fonewear 2014-05-21 09:22:11
Link | Citer | R

According to my research by page 30 this thread should include crazy theories with no logical reason to believe them.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-05-21 09:40:38
Link | Citer | R

Alarmists are beginning to sound like pigs trapped under a gate.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-05-21 09:45:45
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-21 12:05:21
Link | Citer | R

It reads like hyperbole, but the rest of his interview is rather reasonable.
As usual, people glom onto the least relevant portion as if that refutes decades of hard science. But why consider this when the Daily Caller can do the thinking for you?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-21 12:15:07
Link | Citer | R

You're crazy if you think anyone is going to read that whole thing. Ain't nobody got time for that!
[+]
By Fumiku 2014-05-21 12:23:01
Link | Citer | R

I thought for sure that Godwin's Law would have kicked in by now......(Thanks Ravael!)
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-21 12:29:19
Link | Citer | R

Global Warming Fascists!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-21 12:32:36
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Global Warming Fascists!
You just wait til they take up with the gay fascists...
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-21 12:33:55
Link | Citer | R

Global Warming Fascism created a storm of Gay Fascism.

Therefore, Global Warming is Gay. M'kay? M'kay then.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-21 12:45:37
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Global Warming Fascism created a storm of Gay Fascism.

Therefore, Global Warming is Gay. M'kay? M'kay then.
Global Warming, that's sooo gay! lol
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-05-21 12:56:38
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
It may be colder in the U.S. than on average, but isn't most of the country suffering historically unprecedented droughts? I know that's what they're barking about here in SoCal, we use pilfered water anyway though. Heard some parts of Texas getting bent over the couch too.

I've heard the droughts compared to the Dust Bowl... but the Dust Bowl wasn't just droughts, it was also a plethora of topsoil issues caused by bad farming practices, so I don't think it's a worthwhile comparison, just an attempt at revving the engine of the fear machine.

You are very right on that for Texas. Even when it rains our drought level remains at level 3 for my city basically all the time. Our water has been awful since there's been an issue with our main source and we're having to divert from other areas or steal from neighbors.

NTMWD said:
Lake Texoma, which typically provides over 28% of the raw water for NTMWD, remains off-line due to the invasive species infestation of the zebra mussel. It may be several months to years before all the issues with this invasive species are resolved to
allow removal of water from this reservoir.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-05-21 13:18:10
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
It may be colder in the U.S. than on average, but isn't most of the country suffering historically unprecedented droughts? I know that's what they're barking about here in SoCal, we use pilfered water anyway though. Heard some parts of Texas getting bent over the couch too.

I've heard the droughts compared to the Dust Bowl... but the Dust Bowl wasn't just droughts, it was also a plethora of topsoil issues caused by bad farming practices, so I don't think it's a worthwhile comparison, just an attempt at revving the engine of the fear machine.

You are very right on that for Texas. Even when it rains our drought level remains at level 3 for my city basically all the time. Our water has been awful since there's been an issue with our main source and we're having to divert from other areas or steal from neighbors.

NTMWD said:
Lake Texoma, which typically provides over 28% of the raw water for NTMWD, remains off-line due to the invasive species infestation of the zebra mussel. It may be several months to years before all the issues with this invasive species are resolved to
allow removal of water from this reservoir.

So, how are those "islands" doing at Texoma? Full-fledged peninsulas now, I assume?

Lake Buchanan and Lake Travis, reservoirs of the Colorado River basin that supply most of central Texas (along with the Edwards Aquifer), are both expected to hit all-time lows this year also. Honestly, I can't remember a summer since 2008 or so where docks haven't been sitting on a dried bed in some areas around Lake Travis. Quite a few marinas and restaurants have closed in the past few years.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Serveur: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-21 13:28:00
Link | Citer | R

but isn't most of the country suffering historically unprecedented droughts?
Boy, do I hate that phrase. When the history only goes back about 150 years at best (right at the tail end of the Little Ice Age, how convenient), it makes these kinds of statistics... unreliable.

I once saw an anti-environmentalist comment that the US has more forested land today than 100 years ago, conveniently failing to mention that 100 years ago was the peak of industrial deforestation and just before replanting initiatives and sustainable tree farming were introduced.
By daemun 2014-05-21 14:09:39
Link | Citer | R

We've had 0 measurable precip in 2014 thus far...
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-05-21 14:11:44
Link | Citer | R

It reads like hyperbole, but the rest of his interview is rather reasonable.
As usual, people glom onto the least relevant portion as if that refutes decades of hard science. But why consider this when the Daily Caller can do the thinking for you?
If their science was so "irrefutable", why would they need to jail and silence those who dissent?

When your response is reduced to "shut up" you've generally lost the argument.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-21 14:15:43
Link | Citer | R

Paleoclimatic proxies extend drought records far beyond that. Bristlecone tree rings can tell us how dry it was when Jesus was born and long-buried diatoms can record what conditions were like during the times of ancient Egypt so phrases like 'historically unprecedented' aren't misleading. They're just substantiated truth.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/paleoclimatology-data/datasets/climate-reconstruction

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
If their science was so "irrefutable", why would they need to jail and silence those who dissent?
Um, they don't? I think his point was to emphasize the willful ignorance of our governing body.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-05-21 14:29:32
Link | Citer | R

Paleoclimatic proxies extend drought records far beyond that. Bristlecone tree rings can tell us how dry it was when Jesus was born and long-buried diatoms can record what conditions were like during the times of ancient Egypt so phrases like 'historically unprecedented' aren't misleading. They're just substantiated truth.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/paleoclimatology-data/datasets/climate-reconstruction

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Um, they don't? I think his point was to emphasize the willful ignorance of our governing body.
People who don't agree with me are "willfully blind". They should be thrown in jail.

...and you wonder why we call you alarmists.
By fonewear 2014-05-21 14:31:13
Link | Citer | R

I witness global warming once. I just switched from SPF 30 to 50.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-21 14:31:33
Link | Citer | R

Yup, you got me. I'm actually Canadian geneticist David Suzuki. Nothing gets by you.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-21 14:37:53
Link | Citer | R

David Suzuki was called out as a fraud a few times, and has used his celebrity status to travel the world with a bevvy of beautiful babes at his side.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-21 17:26:01
Link | Citer | R

If I've learned anything from this thread, it's cow farts are bad no matter how you approach them.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-05-21 21:42:11
Link | Citer | R

Fumiku said: »
I thought for sure that Godwin's Law would have kicked in by now......(Thanks Ravael!)

YouTube Video Placeholder

You're welcome.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-21 22:31:14
Link | Citer | R

“The receptivity of the masses is very limited, their intelligence is small, but their power of forgetting is enormous. In consequence of these facts, all effective propaganda must be limited to a very few points and must harp on these in slogans until the last member of the public understands what you want him to understand by your slogan.”

― Adolf Hitler
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 29 30 31 ... 44 45 46