U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
First Page 2 3 ... 25 26 27 ... 44 45 46
 Bismarck.Ihina
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-05-13 17:42:10
Link | Citer | R

Don't need to be a binary thinker to categorize two groups of people.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-05-13 17:47:04
Link | Citer | R

I don't know, calling everyone who votes republican an idiot doesn't seem to be a very balanced outlook to me, but maybe I'm reading something incorrectly.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-05-13 17:48:22
Link | Citer | R

It's more of a jab than an actual claim. It was a statement more about their policies that the group generally supports rather than a statement about each and every member of the group personally.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-05-13 17:49:51
Link | Citer | R

Well, I don't want to tell you how to articulate yourself, but that wasn't apparent to me. It made your argument seem akin to the whole "libtard" ideology.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-13 17:51:16
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Don't need to be a binary thinker to categorize two groups of people.

Except that's not what you did. You categorized a single group of people into two groups. Either Dumb Republicans or smart republicans.

There's no "Dumb" Republican with a "Smart" idea, nor any "Smart" republican with a "Dumb" Idea.

Binary logic, how did you not get that from your post?
By fonewear 2014-05-13 17:52:16
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-13 17:57:07
Link | Citer | R

You know what I don't understand about the Global Warming debate on the detractor's side?

Nobody argues that pollution isn't bad. It seems like even if you don't get on board the whole doomsayer train, there's at least enough common ground here to move forward anyway.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-05-13 17:57:57
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Well, I don't want to tell you how to articulate yourself, but that wasn't apparent to me. It made your argument seem akin to the whole "libtard" ideology.

Acknowledged, though to be fair(to me of course), it wasn't meant to be a real argument. I pretty much said everyone who voted republican was dumb, which is pretty extreme, even for more.
By fonewear 2014-05-13 17:59:07
Link | Citer | R

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-05-13 17:59:53
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Except that's not what you did. You categorized a single group of people into two groups. Either Dumb Republicans or smart republicans.

There's no "Dumb" Republican with a "Smart" idea, nor any "Smart" republican with a "Dumb" Idea.

I don't know where you're going with this, nor do I really care that much to be honest. Just waiting for AO to reply.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-13 18:01:07
Link | Citer | R

You know what I don't understand about the Global Warming debate on the detractor's side?

Nobody argues that pollution isn't bad. It seems like even if you don't get on board the whole doomsayer train, there's at least enough common ground here to move forward anyway.
Sad part is, not many people care about moving forward, only moving to their side.
By fonewear 2014-05-13 18:02:15
Link | Citer | R

I don't have a side. I don't care if the Earth gets destroyed. That will be up to future generations to deal with.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-05-13 18:02:39
Link | Citer | R

I'm going to make an exception and throw in a disclaimer just this once.

Of course this isn't true for all conservatives, but generally speaking, conservatives tend not to care about anyone or anything outside their arm's reach. If you want conservatives on board, we have to get to a point where pushing back against AGW results in them keeping more of their tax money or something that satisfies their own self interest.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-05-13 18:02:48
Link | Citer | R

Acknowledged, though to be fair(to me of course), it wasn't meant to be a real argument. I pretty much said everyone who voted republican was dumb, which is pretty extreme, even for more.
Sometimes I forget my audience and that my candor isn't apparent.
By Altimaomega 2014-05-13 18:05:05
Link | Citer | R

You're conflicting two different things here. Republicans are dumb, and that's why they're republicans. Establishment republican politicians are insanely smart. For example, the politicians lay claim to Lincoln because it's both historically accurate and because it gives off a positive, non-racist image. Republican constituents lay claim to Lincoln and think Lincoln would actually be on their side.

I'm still waiting btw, AO.

Sorry wife got home. Anyways I was hoping for something I didn't know about. Oh well..

True to my word. Things wrong in Washington. NSA TSA BLM IRS Homeland security. Still fighting 2 wars, (we are still in Iraq).
Mass Regulation, Obamacare... The working pay 40% taxes on what they earn. I could go on and on and on...

This chart

Obama and his minions claim the total opposite. Which is it?
By fonewear 2014-05-13 18:06:05
Link | Citer | R

Altimaomega said: »
You're conflicting two different things here. Republicans are dumb, and that's why they're republicans. Establishment republican politicians are insanely smart. For example, the politicians lay claim to Lincoln because it's both historically accurate and because it gives off a positive, non-racist image. Republican constituents lay claim to Lincoln and think Lincoln would actually be on their side.

Sorry wife got home. Anyways I was hoping for something I didn't know about. Oh well..

True to my word. Things wrong in Washington. NSA TSA BLM IRS Homeland security. Still fighting 2 wars, (we are still in Iraq).
Mass Regulation, Obamacare... The working pay 40% taxes on what they earn. I could go on and on and on...

This chart

No facts allowed back to opinions!
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-13 18:07:37
Link | Citer | R

Because it would still cost the overlords money so in order to reconcile this in their minds you see such arguments as:
- CO2 is natural and can't be a pollutant
- the hyperbolic strawman that claims we should get rid of CO2 emissions entirely
- the tried-and-true free market solution that claims pollution would essentially get rid of itself when it becomes unprofitable.

I'm sure I overlooked others but those are the most common pre-packaged talking points I've encountered. I highly doubt it's a coincidence that most detractor's are confined within one particular political ideology. They all fall for the same tricks provided by the same people.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-13 18:08:45
Link | Citer | R

I don't know where you're going with this, nor do I really care that much to be honest. Just waiting for AO to reply.

Sorry if it seems like I was being a bit aggressive here. I just really hate the whole "If you're not with me you're against me" tribal *** this (United States) Country devolved into over the past twenty years.

I'm going to make an exception and throw in a disclaimer just this once.

Of course this isn't true for all conservatives, but generally speaking, conservatives tend not to care about anyone or anything outside their arm's reach. If you want conservatives on board, we have to get to a point where pushing back against AGW results in them keeping more of their tax money or something that satisfies their own self interest.

There was a point when compromise wasn't out of the question. FDR for example, was an amazing man of compromise. Some of those are morally questionable in hindsight, but in the context of the time they were made in, it's easy to vindicate them.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-13 18:13:06
Link | Citer | R

Derp.

To be fair (Which is a concept you're entirely unfamiliar with, but *** it), the country was in a catastrophic tailspin way before Obama came into office. He just happened to push the previous Pilot out a few moments before it smashed into the ground.

Basically, to blame Obama for all of the problems in America is to give him way too much credit. But you simpletons like your Good/Bad, Light/Dark, Democrat/Republican, Liberal/Conservative, Single-Serving ideology.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Serveur: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-13 18:13:55
Link | Citer | R

I would like to recommend you read a book. It was written in 1954, is still as accurate and true today as it was 60 years ago, and is written in language that you need neither be a mathematician nor a scholar to appreciate:

How to Lie With Statistics

And just because I love you, here is the 1974 edition available online:
How to Lie With Statistics (1974)
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-05-13 18:24:43
Link | Citer | R

This chart

If this is what you really believe, then I can see how you're misguided.

Do you not remember that our economy went off a cliff before Obama took office? Do you not realize that the economy doesn't automatically reset just because we have a new president? You don't seem aware that the president's budget doesn't even go into effect until the following year since inauguration is in January and his first fiscal year is in October.

This is one of the things that push me to just bluntly claim that conservatives are just dumb unapologetically. I don't understand why this is so prevalent on your side. Right before he inaugurated, our entire economy collapsed.

Just google any chart on the US economy by year. This one took me 2 seconds to find

I really don't understand the conservative's resistance to understand that the whole fricken economy crashed right before he took office and why they refuse to acknowledge that Obama dug us out of that hole. I don't give Obama credit for much, but I'll at least give him that.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Serveur: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-05-13 18:30:28
Link | Citer | R

I think the last time I paid 1.85 a gallon for gas was the 90s.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-05-13 18:33:14
Link | Citer | R

Because there is no "moving forward". CO2 isn't pollution, it's a natural result of the life process. Calling CO2 "pollution" is the same as calling O2 "pollution" and placing a tax on O2 consumption.

Also the progressive entities aren't looking to actually reduce CO2 levels in any meaningful way, it's China and India's expanding economies that are producing the lion's share. The progressives want to tax and control the developed countries that already have tight pollution and environmental controls instead of forcing China & India to limit their economic growth and go into recessions. And they want to do this taxing and controlling be creating a scientific basis where there isn't one.

Just look at the vitriolic responses by the progressives in this thread, they are all personal attacks and attempts at emotional shaming. Their best response to the AGW skeptics is "BUT KOCH BROTHERS!".
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-13 18:36:16
Link | Citer | R

And in one post, Altimaomega is dethroned as the community moron. Congratulations Savael.

For the record, Oxygen can be a pollutant. There are even ecological disasters associated with abundant oxygen.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-05-13 18:40:07
Link | Citer | R

You say Anti-Intellectual, I say Conservatives are insanely smart.

Really think about it, how far to the right have they pushed the Democrats by simply forcing the Democrats to fill the "Moderate" void leftover as more republicans go insane/teaparty?

That's some full on Tywin Lannister ***right there, win the war while losing every battle.

The liberals have not moved to the middle. I can say this because I'm solidly in the middle and support various issues from both sides. This doesn't matter because each side views me as "Enemy Number One" as I refuse to blindly agree with their entire agenda and put on their teams warpaint. I am an individual and don't belong to some collective entity.

Right now we have both extreme conservative and extreme progressive (Social Democrats) parties and this extremism has resulted in there being no middle or moderate position. Your post is a prime example of this thinking.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-05-13 18:40:33
Link | Citer | R

I remember hearing Bachmann going before congress and explaining that CO2 is a perfectly normal gas that we all exhale. Again, there are reasons why I unapologetically call republicans a bunch of morons, even if it rubs some people the wrong way.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-13 18:41:02
Link | Citer | R

Over-saturation, even of elements found naturally as part of the life process, can cause it to become a pollutant.

Particularly when it's created through processes that aren't natural to the life process.

They become toxic and overbearing.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-13 18:41:17
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
You say Anti-Intellectual, I say Conservatives are insanely smart.

Really think about it, how far to the right have they pushed the Democrats by simply forcing the Democrats to fill the "Moderate" void leftover as more republicans go insane/teaparty?

That's some full on Tywin Lannister ***right there, win the war while losing every battle.

The liberals have not moved to the middle. I can say this because I'm solidly in the middle and support various issues from both sides. This doesn't matter because each side views me as "Enemy Number One" as I refuse to blindly agree with their entire agenda and put on their teams warpaint. I am an individual and don't belong to some collective entity.

Right now we have both extreme conservative and extreme progressive (Social Democrats) parties and this extremism has resulted in there being no middle or moderate position. Your post is a prime example of this thinking.

Right, you squat firmly in the Self-important "Me against the World" group.

How cute and original.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-13 18:49:05
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Because it would still cost the overlords money so in order to reconcile this in their minds you see such arguments as:
- CO2 is natural and can't be a pollutant
- the hyperbolic strawman that claims we should get rid of CO2 emissions entirely
- the tried-and-true free market solution that claims pollution would essentially get rid of itself when it becomes unprofitable.

I'm sure I overlooked others but those are the most common pre-packaged talking points I've encountered. I highly doubt it's a coincidence that most detractor's are confined within one particular political ideology. They all fall for the same tricks provided by the same people.
Oh hey, would you look at that.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-05-13 18:55:28
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
If the science was actually settled, we wouldn't be seeing research papers and studies about the changing climates all over the globe, or the papers and studies that talk about what kind of footprint humanity has had on it, or if it's all happening naturally.

What people are actually arguing for with the Anthropogenic Global Warming, is that we've effectively had our hand in helping to create this environmental mess we're in, specifically for our own well being.

The data collected and examined comes from the industrial revolution, where CO2 emissions and other pollutants reached an all time unnatural high for that period, and again when companies added additional waste to production, which emitted more pollutant green house gases than what could have ever happened naturally.

Unfortunately, we don't have another planet Earth to spare to make an absolute comparison or to use in an experiment. But researchers can still find a way to simulate the effect using working scaled down models of cities, and country-sides for analysis.

Hell, you can see pollution domes over large metropolitan cities that act like an insulator. You can see the effect of this warming in large scale events where the average temperature rises when there are more people in one place, than if it was sparsely populated.

Those are two totally different things. CO2 =/= pollution. CO2 is transparent in the visible light spectrum, you would never see a dome made of CO2. CO2 is not industrial waste nor carbon ash, it's a natural gas that's part of the life process. If humans had never existed this planet would still have high amounts of CO2 in the atmosphere, as much as 3000ppm according to historical records. Hell over the full lifetime of this planet 1000ppm is far more normal then 300ppm, we're currently in an ice age.

I'm an avid environmental conservationist, I really don't like the wanton destruction of so much natural habitat. Because of this I actually agree that having the government place regulations on what can be put into the environment is important. That doesn't automatically make me a blind supporter of something that has yet to be demonstrated true. Nearly 4bn USD to climate related research, and how much is given to environmental conservation? Parks and refuges are critically underfunded and understaffed and can't scape together enough money to manage government owned land, but we sure have plenty of it to throw around.
First Page 2 3 ... 25 26 27 ... 44 45 46