U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 44 45 46
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-05-13 09:03:21
Link | Citer | R

Just in case no one has linked this yet....

Ice melt in part of Antarctica 'appears unstoppable,' NASA says

Quote:
(CNN) -- The complete melting of a major section of west Antarctica's ice sheet appears inevitable, and the process could lead to higher end-of-century global sea levels than previously anticipated, researchers said Monday.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-05-13 09:04:34
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Give me access to a big enough government research grant, and I'll believe in global warming too.

It's comical but also really f*cking scary how accurate that is. You have an entire science "field" based on the support of a single theory. No wonder why everyone in that field "supports" that theory.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-13 09:04:51
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »

Quote:
(CNN) -- The complete melting of a major section of west Antarctica's ice sheet appears inevitable, and the process could lead to higher end-of-century global sea levels than previously anticipated, researchers said Monday.
Already been linked.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-13 09:05:21
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Give me access to a big enough government research grant, and I'll believe in global warming too.

It's comical but also really f*cking scary how accurate that is. You have an entire science "field" based on the support of a single theory. No wonder why everyone in that field "supports" that theory.
Show me proof that it's accurate.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-05-13 09:10:12
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »

Quote:

Highlighted the important parts.

Chanti appears to be addicted to heroine which could lead to his death much earlier then previously anticipated.

This is not an attack on you, merely demonstrating that by using non-quantitative words I can say anything I want and not be wrong. The media does this all the time in an attempt to manipulate your emotions. The human mind perceives words like "appear, could, might, should, may, possibly, ect." as replacements for "will and does".

The article presents the possibility and you've interpreted it as a certainty.

Also another note. There is no such thing as "global sea levels", the planet isn't flat and gravity exists. Dumping massive amounts of water into the ocean wouldn't raise the water by the same amount everywhere due to the Ocean having more volume in some area's then others. That larger volume creates a slight gravitational pull which results in the water not being divided up evenly. This is a field they are just now starting to really scratch the surface of.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-05-13 09:15:47
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »

The mere existence of that coincidence should justify anyone's skepticism.

As for proof, how about co2 levels are at record levels and temps have remained flat for 15 years.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-13 09:19:51
Link | Citer | R

The mere existence of that coincidence should justify anyone's skepticism.

As for proof, how about co2 levels are at record levels and temps have remained flat for 15 years.
That's supposition and nothing more.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-05-13 09:26:57
Link | Citer | R

I knew WUWT would do deeper research then mainstream media.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/05/12/the-guardians-suzanne-goldenberg-jumps-the-shark-again-gets-called-out-by-nyt/

Rational deconstruction of the report

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/12/keep-in-mind-scientific-and-societal-meanings-of-collapse-when-reading-antarctic-ice-news/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1&;

Quote:
Except possibly for the lowest-melt scenario, the simulations indicate that early-stage collapse has begun. Less certain is the time scale, with the onset of rapid (>1 mm per year of sea-level rise) collapse in the different simulations within the range of 200 to 900 years.

Quote:
Collapse in the imagination of most people sounds like a catastrophic event that is going to happen in the next few years. We are talking about a retreat that is unstoppable because we think we have enough evidence to say that these glaciers will keep retreating for decades and even centuries to come…. We’re talking about a slow degradation of ice in this part of Antarctica.

So yeah "eminent collapse" is used in geological time terms.

But hey makes a REALLY emotional news headline.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-05-13 09:32:58
Link | Citer | R

Now for what you won't read in the news.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/05/12/antarctic-sea-ice-at-record-levels/

East Antarctic sea ice at record levels.

Guys what we are witnessing is the slow changing of the earth's climate and ice distribution. This happens all the time, it just happens in geological time. The only difference is this time humans have the technology to actually measure and record it instead of just painting on cave walls.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-05-13 09:40:17
Link | Citer | R

As a demonstration on whats wrong with the current research environment.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/05/10/john-cooks-97-consensus-claim-is-about-to-go-pear-shaped/

The second attempt at making a "consensus" appears to have errors.

Quote:
Dr. Richard Tol writes about a new revelation coming from an analysis of Cook’s climate publications volunteer raters, conducted by Brandon Shollenberger:

Dr. Tol writes

Quote:
My comment on Cook’s consensus paper has at last been accepted. It was rejected by three journals — twice by Environmental Research Letters and once by two other journals for being out of scope. Fifth time lucky.

As these things go, my comment is out of date before it is published.

One of my main concerns was the partial release of data. The data that was available suggests that all sorts of weird things were going on, but without the full data it was hard to pinpoint what went on. Cook’s resistance to release the data, abetted by the editor, the publisher and the University of Queensland, suggested that he may have something to hide.

Brandon Shollenberger has now found part of the missing data.

Unfortunately, time stamps are still missing. These would allow us to check whether fatigue may have affected the raters, and whether all raters were indeed human.

Rater IDs are available now. I hope Shollenberger will release the data in good time. For now, we have to do with his tests and graphs.

His comment of May 10, 1:16 am shows that individual raters systematically differed in their assessment of the literature. This is illustrated by this figure; the circles are aligned if the raters are the same.

This undermines Cook’s paper. Theirs was not a survey of the literature. Rather, it was a survey of the raters.

There were only 12 raters (24 at first, but half dropped out), picked for their belief in the cause.

http://richardtol.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-97-consensus.html
http://hiizuru.wordpress.com/2014/05/09/a-teaser/#comments

More links, papers and data in the WUWT article. I like how WUWT always sources their articles and makes it easy to verify everything. They don't hide data or misrepresent publications.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-13 09:40:59
Link | Citer | R

Guys what we are witnessing is the slow changing of the earth's climate and ice distribution. This happens all the time, it just happens in geological time. The only difference is this time humans have the technology to actually measure and record it instead of just painting on cave walls.
Shhhh. Don't tell them that. It will hurt their corporate profits for scaremongering.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-05-13 09:42:39
Link | Citer | R

This guy makes a bunch of sense to me!

He basically says that in order for catastrophic warming predictions to be true, they should hold some relevance to the historical warming we've already experienced. They don't!

So, it isn't anything to be alarmed at...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-13 09:57:38
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Shhhh. Don't tell them that. It will hurt their corporate profits for scaremongering.
Since when are you against corporate profits? Orrrrrr is this just not your brand of fear mongering?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-13 10:02:49
Link | Citer | R

Want some of that Global Warming cash? Check this site out: Global Warming Grants

Obama’s fiscal year 2014 request for $2.7 billion for the U.S. Global Change Research Program, which cuts across 13 federal agencies.

In contrast, Obama’s National Weather Service budget request for 2014 was $1.05 billion, split about 90 percent for operations and research and 10 percent for construction and acquisition.

Why do anything constructive, when clearly all the money is in research and scams based in fear?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-13 10:09:09
Link | Citer | R

Since when are you against corporate profits? Orrrrrr is this just not your brand of fear mongering?
I'm not the one against corporate profits. It's the same people who bought into "manmade global warming because Gore said so" scam by Al Gore.

It's an Inconvenient Truth.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-05-13 10:11:06
Link | Citer | R

Yet the 2014 budget only has 400 million marked for fusion research.

Nearly 4bn USD for research affirming global warming *cough* "climate change", yet less then 0.5bn for a permanent solution to the theoretical cause.

With so much money available to anyone who can "prove" we're all about to die if we don't stop making CO2 no wonder there are so many articles purporting to do exactly that.

Koch brothers / evil Oil my f*cking ***, no way in hell are they spending 4bn USD to "prove AGW wrong". If anyone's being bought it's the "Climate Change" crowd.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-13 10:12:16
Link | Citer | R

If anyone's being bought it's the "Climate Change" crowd.
But they can't be bought, remember? They are liberals, and above humanity.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-13 10:43:37
Link | Citer | R

Just give em carbon credits.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-13 10:51:59
Link | Citer | R

Just give em carbon credits.
Redeemable at the Al Gore Store?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-13 11:13:38
Link | Citer | R

This is moronic. If anthropogenic global warming theory is so readily disprovable,
then post something that disproves it.
No idiotic cartoons. No strawmen. Post actual *** science.

If you're still waiting on conclusive evidence, it is not because there is a lack of any. It is because you're intentionally ignoring it.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-05-13 11:16:31
Link | Citer | R

WTF is going on in here with all this sane and rational talk going on!!!! Now I'm gonna be bored all day /sigh

LOL nevermind look who finally showed up.

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
This is moronic. If anthropogenic global warming theory is so readily disprovable,

If you're still waiting on conclusive evidence, it is not because there is a lack of any. It is because you're intentionally ignoring it.

You should practice what you preach.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-13 11:18:11
Link | Citer | R

You have to prove god doesn't exist in order to do that.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-13 11:28:37
Link | Citer | R

STOP MOVING THE GOAL POSTS!!!!!
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-05-13 11:28:54
Link | Citer | R

Well, I don't know about god, but it's pretty evident that prayer doesn't do much other than make matters worst.

Quote:
In the 2 groups uncertain about receiving intercessory prayer, complications occurred in 52% (315/604) of patients who received intercessory prayer versus 51% (304/597) of those who did not (relative risk 1.02, 95% CI 0.92-1.15). Complications occurred in 59% (352/601) of patients certain of receiving intercessory prayer compared with the 52% (315/604) of those uncertain of receiving intercessory prayer (relative risk 1.14, 95% CI 1.02-1.28)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16569567

Maybe you guys are praying to the wrong god and he's getting mad?

Gasp, maybe it's not AGW but GGW?
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Serveur: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-05-13 11:30:44
Link | Citer | R

you guys better behave, jesus & santa are always watching...
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-13 11:32:24
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Well, I don't know about god, but it's pretty evident that prayer doesn't do much other than make matters worst.

Quote:
In the 2 groups uncertain about receiving intercessory prayer, complications occurred in 52% (315/604) of patients who received intercessory prayer versus 51% (304/597) of those who did not (relative risk 1.02, 95% CI 0.92-1.15). Complications occurred in 59% (352/601) of patients certain of receiving intercessory prayer compared with the 52% (315/604) of those uncertain of receiving intercessory prayer (relative risk 1.14, 95% CI 1.02-1.28)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16569567

Maybe you guys are praying to the wrong god and he's getting mad?

Gasp, maybe it's not AGW but GGW?
That's because you need to action after praying. Praying alone does nothing but help you think out loud. You still need to do something rather than hope something will happen.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-05-13 11:33:19
Link | Citer | R

I don't want to jump to the conclusion that you might be stupid, so I'll ask you if you are just trying to provoke..
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-05-13 11:34:05
Link | Citer | R

They were all being cared for equally in hospitals.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-13 11:34:46
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I don't want to jump to the conclusion that you might be stupid, so I'll ask you if you are just trying to provoke..
Provoke a different way of thinking sure. As you cannot prove a negative, only poke holes in it at best. Asking someone to disprove something that they themselves cannot prove makes no sense.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-05-13 11:34:55
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »

You must be new to this forum. Hello there, nice to meet you.
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 44 45 46