Is Freedom Of Religion Making Sense Fundamentally?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Is Freedom of Religion Making Sense Fundamentally?
Is Freedom of Religion Making Sense Fundamentally?
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10
 Cerberus.Tikal
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-05-24 15:29:31
Link | Citer | R

That's about right. Romney and Obama really weren't all that far away from each other. To me, the authoritarian part is more crucial than anything though. It makes total sense.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-24 15:58:31
Link | Citer | R

Isn't Obama supposed to be off the charts in the red zone because he's so obviously a leftist that he's stocked his cabinet with private sector employees so dedicated to spreading the cause of pure communism?
 Odin.Zicdeh
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-24 16:09:36
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Isn't Obama supposed to be off the charts in the red zone because he's so obviously a leftist that he's stocked his cabinet with private sector employees so dedicated to spreading the cause of pure communism?

Yeah. Supporting already-implemented government programs is the Hammer, and supporting homosexual rights is the sickle. Where you been brah?
[+]
 Valefor.Tsurara
Serveur: Valefor
user: Hinamori
By Valefor.Tsurara 2014-05-24 16:27:29
Link | Citer | R

As long as the religion doesn't INFLUENCE the decisions made by the government, does it matter if a group of politicians have a prayer?
By Jetackuu 2014-05-24 16:31:00
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Tsurara said: »
As long as the religion doesn't INFLUENCE the decisions made by the government, does it matter if a group of politicians have a prayer?
Quietly to themselves? No. Sanctioned, and led as part of a ceremony by the states: yes.
 Valefor.Tsurara
By Valefor.Tsurara 2014-05-24 16:33:00
Link | Citer | R

Well that I can't control sadly, nor do I frankly care at this point in time. If the politicians themselves don't like it, then they'll do something about it
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-24 16:33:49
Link | Citer | R

Not if it's on their own time.

The problem is a pastor leading the entire congress or senate in a Christian prayer, which broadcasts a message of favoritism.

I'm okay with a chapel (Any/all religion) being built somewhere on the grounds for that kind of service honestly, but I'm just not okay with prayers in the general assembly room. It's an affront to the national premise. (Protection of the individual from the group)
[+]
 Valefor.Tsurara
By Valefor.Tsurara 2014-05-24 16:34:58
Link | Citer | R

Oh that I can understand, if it's done IN the room, that just gives me a vibe...
 Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby
Serveur: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby 2014-05-24 16:47:48
Link | Citer | R

I think you have bigger things to worry about than Christian theology taking over, since it has done little outside of maintaining the status quo in terms of legality, and no, abortion is not a strictly religious issue.

The Christians are coming!! They are gonna... idk, but it's gonna be.... mildly boring and voluntary... Just run away!!!

Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-24 16:55:13
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby said: »
I think you have bigger things to worry about than Christian theology taking over, since it has done little outside of maintaining the status quo in terms of legality, and no, abortion is not a strictly religious issue.

I think you give it too much credit. I only see religion in politics as a pandering to a demographic, with those who preach it laughing under their breath at the stupidity and malleability of the average voter. Outliers notwithstanding of course.

But you're right, abortion is not strictly a religious issue. I'd even go so far as to say it's not a religious issue at all.
 Valefor.Tsurara
By Valefor.Tsurara 2014-05-24 16:55:37
Link | Citer | R

I did not say anything about abortion nor do I care about that. If it isn't killing/harming/humiliating someone else of yourself, idc about it.
 Valefor.Tsurara
By Valefor.Tsurara 2014-05-24 16:56:17
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Zicdeh said: »

I think you give it too much credit. I only see religion in politics as a pandering to a demographic, with those who preach it laughing under their breath at the stupidity and malleability of the average voter. Outliers notwithstanding of course.

But you're right, abortion is not strictly a religious issue. I'd even go so far as to say it's not a religious issue at all.

It's more or less an issue of personal ethics
 Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby
By Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby 2014-05-24 17:01:18
Link | Citer | R

I only see religion in politics as a pandering to a demographic, with those who preach it laughing under their breath at the stupidity and malleability of the average voter. Outliers notwithstanding of course.
I think you underestimate Christian intellect and education. People think Christians are uneducated and anti-science, yet many scientists and doctors are religious. Many leaders throughout history have been religious. We may have some morons, and those are the ones Bill Maher likes to bias everyone with, but our education as a nation is more hampered from a lack of morals than by a few Christians wanting to teach Creationism in school. After all, we put the NEA in the classroom, took God out, we fund it more per student than any other nation, and we fall behind because the parents fail to reinforce the education.
Serveur: Ultros
Game: FFXIV
user: Serj
By Ciri Zireael 2014-05-24 17:02:55
Link | Citer | R

Abortion is an extremely religious issues due to ensoulment. Back before science knew about how conception worked some Christianity thought the soul entered the embryo at quickening and allowed abortions to be performed before ensoulment.

However once science learned more about human pregnancy the church moved back to not allowed abortion at all stages.

Religion as itself is the sole reason abortion is even an issue about legality. The chuch is the one who enforced these things throughout history and still cause controversy over it.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby
By Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby 2014-05-24 17:07:30
Link | Citer | R

Euclids Cfinder said: »

However once science learned more about human pregnancy the church moved back to not allowed abortion at all stages.

Religion as itself is the sole reason abortion is even an issue about legality. The chuch is the one who enforced these things throughout history and still cause controversy over it.
Lots of ethical issues were addressed by religions historically, it does not taint them as religious issues for all time. Many atheists and other religions oppose abortion, and many Christians do not.
 Valefor.Anethesia
By Valefor.Anethesia 2014-05-24 17:10:53
Link | Citer | R

No, but that isn't the way of things right now.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-24 17:14:43
Link | Citer | R

I only see religion in politics as a pandering to a demographic, with those who preach it laughing under their breath at the stupidity and malleability of the average voter. Outliers notwithstanding of course.
I think you underestimate Christian intellect and education. People think Christians are uneducated and anti-science, yet many scientists and doctors are religious. Many leaders throughout history have been religious. We may have some morons, and those are the ones Bill Maher likes to bias everyone with, but our education as a nation is more hampered from a lack of morals than by a few Christians wanting to teach Creationism in school. After all, we put the NEA in the classroom, took God out, we fund it more per student than any other nation, and we fall behind because the parents fail to reinforce the education.

I've personally found that most people who claim to be religious, when actually pressed with out-of-context details are not religious at all.

My hypothesis is that religion is more about group solidarity than actually believing in divinity, afterlife and the various mythologies surround it. It usually folds back into the noncommittal belief in a creator, IE: The initial catalyst of the Universe. After that "God" has no part to play. (See: Deism)

So in a sense, yeah you're right. But in another sense, the title of "religious" isn't nearly as black-and-white as people (myself included) make it out to be.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10