BLU Vs BRU...lo (Brulo)

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » BLU vs BRU...lo (Brulo)
BLU vs BRU...lo (Brulo)
By Sykotik7S 2013-08-18 12:48:52
Link | Citer | R

Hey everyone!

So I'm after colorless souls and was wondering: Is it possible for BLU to solo Brulo effectively? Any advice on gear and spell-sets would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! ^-^

P.s. sorry for the dumb topic title xD
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-08-18 12:53:22
Link | Citer | R

A good fire resist setup and some MDT gear make him possible, but it won't be fun.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-08-18 13:01:36
Link | Citer | R

Most of the new gear has magic eva on it. Wear as much of that as you can and everything he does will get resisted in to the ground. Blue can wear much of the new mage gear which has better meva.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2013-08-18 13:21:20
Link | Citer | R

I did it pre-SOA at 99 blu/rdm with only 90 Almace / eva sword. I'd have to assume Future Fab atma is required; it beat the heck out of me and kept me on edge the entire time. I used RR MM FutureFab, and went with a hybrid TP set as eva/fireresist full time. When you see it use Inferno, swap to your best -damage taken, -magic damage, +fire reset set you can come up with and pray (especially if you are a taru like me). Keeping Saline Coat up is a plus but it's easier said than done sometimes. Be careful when swapping sets for BLU spells too. A bad timed Inferno while you got your STR or DEX set up can take you out.

I don't remember my spell setup but it was a struggle to survive for me the entire fight. Fire spikes start to really hurt near the end so I tried to not attack too fast as to not ruin my HP faster than I could keep myself cured. Turn your back if needed to refresh MP or wait on timers. Remember shadows don't help for its Fire4 spell since it's a TP move and not magic spell.

I haven't played much since all this new magic evasion TP gear came out, but I'm assuming it will make Brulo much easier along with all other abyssea content. This along with the new weapons should make it cake.

Probably best to wait for Draylo to chime in haha. I'm sure he's done it a few times :)
By Tymoris 2013-08-18 13:37:47
Link | Citer | R

Well you need your mdt set and with barfire and stoneskin/phalanx or barrier tusk you should survive just fine.

You can always try /RUN too for that extra ele protection:P
 Hades.Triet
Serveur: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2013-08-18 13:43:33
Link | Citer | R

Also /run might be a good idea. Undax2 + Barfire + Vallation. Plus a little extra damage from Lunge.
By Sykotik7S 2013-08-18 15:39:55
Link | Citer | R

This is all awesome advice. Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming. I'd really like to get the souls over with and none of my other jobs can handle Brulo, unfortunately. Which is better though: Phalanx from /RDM or Barrier Tusk?
By Tymoris 2013-08-19 10:50:48
Link | Citer | R

In absolute numbers Barrier tusk will absorb more of the big hit, but it has a slight bigger mp cost and bigger recast/cast timers and less duration.

For in between you can use phalanx since it will absorb about 12 dmg per hit.
By Sykotik7S 2013-08-21 10:19:41
Link | Citer | R

Awesome. Thanks for the tip. I've noticed that the new Hagondes gear has some MDB sprinkled in there. Can these pieces be considered for a MDT set? I gues the meat of the question is, which is better: Magic Def. Bonus or -Magic Damage Taken?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-08-21 10:31:43
Link | Citer | R

Magic taken is much better per point than MDB but they both work together in an odd way. This is why shell is particularly powerful, if you go /mage be sure to use shell.

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Damage_Taken

But do consider that the magic evasion on each piece is so huge, it'll make you resist all the spells rather than just reducing the damage. This will stack with barfire too. It's also a nice bonus to have INT on them. For INT based magic damage(which tends to be most things that aren't banish and the like) INT will reduce damage a bit by reducing the mobs dInt stat.

You need physical def too since most of it's magic damage is instant or an additional effect so these high level pieces will provide vit and def to keep that damage down as well.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By Sykotik7S 2013-08-21 11:17:41
Link | Citer | R

So would you suggest maybe a mixture of Hagondes gear with some of the coral gear for an overall Magic Defense set?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-08-21 11:50:58
Link | Citer | R

I dunno that I'd actually use any of the visible pieces of the coral set.

With shell 2 and non-visible slots you can get a good 40% or more.

Twilight torque coral earrings augmented dark rings or coral rings and mollusca mantle. Then you could throw the new gear with all the massive meva on it, get the fire resist atma, use phalanx and barfire and it'll be a joke. Now granted, I think this is probably overkill but... I'd rather you go in surprised how easy it is than go in and make a mistake and get slaughtered and waste a pop.