Is It Worth It To Level My Woodworking From 75 On?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Woodworking » Is it worth it to level my woodworking from 75 on?
Is it worth it to level my woodworking from 75 on?
By Jepenepe 2013-07-12 15:39:19
Link | Citer | R

I came back to the game about a month ago after a little over two years off. I have been working on woodworking on and off my whole time playing ffxi. My current crafting levels are as follows:
Smithing 30
Clothcraft 5
Alchemy 7
Woodworking 75
Goldsmithing 51
Leathercrafting 3
Bonecraft 31
Cooking 11
Fishing 5
Synergy
As you can see I haven't even touched synergy yet.

I have carpenter's apron and gloves. Would I be better off working on a different craft? If I were to complete woodworking, does anyone have any recommendations as to skilling up? Thanks!
 Odin.Akhilleus
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: akhilleus
By Odin.Akhilleus 2013-07-12 15:51:10
Link | Citer | R

Dude, don't do it, my mule is 105 Wood and I get next to no money from it. It will be nothing short of vanity having 110 woodowrking next to your name. In real terms, trying to cash on it it will be worth even less.

Even the best items available to craft for WW now don't sell as well as other crafts. I know smithing is big money. Clothcraft is better than WW, so is Alchemy and bonecraft.

We got Echidna's bow (that is the name iirc) and even that doesn't sell particularly well, neither do antinian staves and there is another one but they have such niche appeal that you will struggle to sell for consistent profits.

You could make money from WW doing sellables, like shihei, arrows, bolts and alike but you will be committing to a punishing and depressing schedule of zombie crafting.

So to summarise, avoid at all costs, there is no balance between WW and most other crafts, most veteran WW's I know all agree we got shafted by SE and I don't know if that will change much in the coming future.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Funsam
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: funsam
By Carbuncle.Funsam 2013-07-12 15:52:06
Link | Citer | R

would be a good idea to check to recipe section on here & check what it cost to make & what sells on your server.
But if you enjoy it why not, but would also be good to look at levelling synergy along with your craft, because 80% of new recipes are from synergy.
[+]
By Jepenepe 2013-07-12 16:51:19
Link | Citer | R

Thanks, I have looked at the list more times than I can count and nothing seems appealing to me to skill on. I had a feeling it probably wouldn't be beneficial to finish it. It seems woodworking has always got the short end of the stick (no pun intended). I do occasionally make shihei for quick gil. I'll do some research and see, but I will probably go with cloth and work on synergy.
 Shiva.Cziella
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rumors
By Shiva.Cziella 2013-07-12 16:54:02
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Akhilleus said: »
I know smithing is big money if you HQ items, or don't break the new synths

FTFY
Otherwise like any other craft, you don't even break even on most items worth selling on AH.
[+]
 Sylph.Feary
Serveur: Sylph
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2013-07-12 16:57:48
Link | Citer | R

dont bother. nuke the 5 levels and do something different. any would be better.
[+]
Bug Hunter
By somebodyloved 2013-07-12 17:02:40
Link | Citer | R

Cooking is always a good income earner. I usually spend half the week selling red curry buns that I make in bulk, while the other half of the week I sell meat kabobs while buying up as much dragon meat to craft yet another bulk. Usually takes about 2 hours from Sunday to do so, and I usually net 2-4 million gil (depending on how many meats I procure during the week) NET profit. That doesn't include the gil I earn while selling kabobs.

Problem is, you need to get cooking to 110+3+1+1+whatever the stall gives you for this to really work. That is more effort than most would give.
By Jepenepe 2013-07-12 17:07:50
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Feary said: »
dont bother. nuke the 5 levels and do something different. any would be better.
That's probably what I will do, I know clothcraft is big.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1532 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2017-09-21 13:07:11
Link | Citer | R

I'm currently WW level 108, WW seems to have some decent money makers assuming you can +1 some stuff. But a vast majority of the craft is honestly useless. Perhaps the only forefront of gil making is knowing that basically no one is willing to take up the craft anymore, so you can maybe make some gil on the new crafts since WW is less common than other crafts.
By Brynach 2017-09-21 14:07:37
Link | Citer | R

Honestly, it really depends on what you can get out of it. I have 110 WW, and I have made myself a full hq Kendatsuba set. I have and maintain a very high level SAM, so having the ability to make and hq gear for it works well for me. Not to mention that before the crafting shield final stage becomes commonplace, these pieces can get anywhere from 300-400m each. I also maintain a very well-geared RNG, so I work on hq Oshosi gear until I have what I need.

4/5 of the Rao gearset is in the t2 range. Some servers still have that going for 10m a pop, so there is money to made.

In the end, if another craft will better benefit jobs you play as well as how you perceive making money, then change as necessary.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2017-09-21 14:15:36
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
yes it's worth it.
 Odin.Drakenv
Serveur: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-09-21 16:22:49
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Senaki said: »
I'm currently WW level 108, WW seems to have some decent money makers assuming you can +1 some stuff. But a vast majority of the craft is honestly useless. Perhaps the only forefront of gil making is knowing that basically no one is willing to take up the craft anymore, so you can maybe make some gil on the new crafts since WW is less common than other crafts.
Just do it. I had woodworking 100 for ninja and ranger(before afterglow weapons.) Then 110 for voodoo gear full set and now with the new sexy su3 gear I will be working on my shield. Let alone woodworking to 110 is cheap as ***.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [74 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Donwu
Serveur: Leviathan
user: donwu
By Leviathan.Donwu 2017-12-04 13:33:31
Link | Citer | R

I leveled mine to 103 as well. Smaller, steady crafts to keep your gil up are higher level lumber items. Exalted lumber (at least on Levi) is running around 60k a piece. Logs are about 20k, and for a LONG while they were 10k. They're a consistent seller, and cap is roughly 107. Plus attempting to make Rao +1 gear, material staves for JSE weapons, among other things make it (albeit slightly) still worthwhile.