Super Tanking In A Reive?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dancer » Super tanking in a reive?
Super tanking in a reive?
By kenshynofshiva 2013-04-15 12:20:32
Link | Citer | R

Any tips? Gear sets? Or bad idea lol. Trying to come up with a strategy when the ochain pld can't play. Silly turtles seem the most painful keeping under control on Blu was thinking of breaking out the dnc for a waltz or 2.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-04-15 12:28:00
Link | Citer | R

I find that I generally can't tank all the monsters without a healer, especially if they have additional effect attacks. However, I can handle a solid ~5 in most zones just by turtling up in an evasion set. I've done this with Twitherym (though their paralyze is annoying) and with the bee/ladybug Reives (though amnesia is not survivable).

If I had support, I could supertank the whole group.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-04-15 12:34:01
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
I find that I generally can't tank all the monsters without a healer, especially if they have additional effect attacks. However, I can handle a solid ~5 in most zones just by turtling up in an evasion set. I've done this with Twitherym (though their paralyze is annoying) and with the bee/ladybug Reives (though amnesia is not survivable).

If I had support, I could supertank the whole group.

Cool I will for sure have an support group from sch or whm and a rdm/sch or geo/sch (testing fun combo) and more dd or whm or rdm mage support.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-04-15 12:36:06
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, any evasive job can supertank them if they have healer support. I've done it on NIN and THF before. I'd guess that PUP and MNK can probably both do it too, stacking more evasion gear as appropriate to the job.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-04-15 12:37:38
Link | Citer | R

Okay, then just put on your evasion gear and make sure you aggro everything (do not claim) before people go in.

I use this for solo and it works well:
ItemSet 200958

Monsters tend to use 0-1 TP move depending how careful I am about one-shotting them from 25%.

If you don't have a 99 R/M/E, I would be very tempted to use double AGI/Eva Thokchas and swap some evasion gear out for DD gear.
 Valefor.Surivere
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Surivere 2013-04-15 12:40:05
Link | Citer | R

For PLD atleast it's not that troublesome unless you're fighting Matamata's or Butterflies.

Just make sure you line them all up at the front, and you're good with Phalanx and a little waltzing here and then. If you also have an Ochain, then absolutely nothing to worry about. If you do not, still good.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-15 12:46:44
Link | Citer | R

Supertanking is possible, but I definitely seem to get more points when I just go all out on the roots with an enspell up from a SCH! People like to wake up the mobs my SCH is sleeping though herpderpderp.
 Odin.Budman
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Budman 2013-04-15 13:11:03
Link | Citer | R

I go pld/blu when I do reives and with pro V, phalanx, cocoon, -50 pdt and ochain I supertank while everyone goes for the root and get about 3-4k bayld a reive. Slightly more when doing basalt fields but its kinda hard getting all the the mobs in front of you there as they tend to bunch up and get in behind you. If you can split the mobs up with another pld doing the same it makes it easier.
By Sakuhra 2013-04-15 13:21:23
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Budman said: »
I go pld/blu when I do reives and with pro V, phalanx, cocoon, -50 pdt and ochain I supertank while everyone goes for the root and get about 3-4k bayld a reive. Slightly more when doing basalt fields but its kinda hard getting all the the mobs in front of you there as they tend to bunch up and get in behind you. If you can split the mobs up with another pld doing the same it makes it easier.
yes but he asked how to suptertankt them without ochain on other jobs (dnc forum)
 Fenrir.Sylow
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-15 13:22:58
Link | Citer | R

Also with Tacos and Protect V I had something like 750 defense on DNC in my evasion gear so it's something worth thinking about!
 Odin.Budman
By Odin.Budman 2013-04-15 13:27:39
Link | Citer | R

Sorry disregard my post then, dnc supertanking idk.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-04-15 13:28:36
Link | Citer | R

if you're just looking for a way to win reives, a blm or sch mule can easily keep everything slept forever

sleepga > wait till 31 sec after sleepga started casting > sleepga2 > phalanx/ss > sleepga(46s after sleepga started casting) > wait until 80 seconds after sleepga2 cast > breakga > wait for sleepga2 to wear > sleepga1

the most damage you'll ever take is 1-2 mobs that half resisted the same spell swinging at you, a blm can easily keep this up indefinitely

(if you're more confident, skip some of the intermediaries and just do sleepga2 > sleepga1 if you notice any half resists > breakga 80 sec after sleepga2 > resleepga2 when it wears
By kenshynofshiva 2013-04-15 14:05:39
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
if you're just looking for a way to win reives, a blm or sch mule can easily keep everything slept forever

sleepga > wait till 31 sec after sleepga started casting > sleepga2 > phalanx/ss > sleepga(46s after sleepga started casting) > wait until 80 seconds after sleepga2 cast > breakga > wait for sleepga2 to wear > sleepga1

the most damage you'll ever take is 1-2 mobs that half resisted the same spell swinging at you, a blm can easily keep this up indefinitely

(if you're more confident, skip some of the intermediaries and just do sleepga2 > sleepga1 if you notice any half resists > breakga 80 sec after sleepga2 > resleepga2 when it wears

Yeah sleeping worked well until the sleeper gets stunned and interrupted like crazy or peeps wake the mobs. Its why I am looking at alternatives that don't include sleep and was curious how good have peeps found dnc supertanking since I have it well geared but mostly for dd.
 Odin.Meansa
user: Meansa
By Odin.Meansa 2013-04-15 14:37:39
Link | Citer | R

I supertank all the time in reive using dancer. Just toss on my pdt gear and don't come /nin.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-04-15 14:42:21
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Meansa said: »
I supertank all the time in reive using dancer. Just toss on my pdt gear and don't come /nin.

Why not /nin???
 Odin.Meansa
user: Meansa
By Odin.Meansa 2013-04-15 15:12:48
Link | Citer | R

If you are being hit by that many mobs at any time then it is a waste to sub nin. Shadows disappear too fast. You can use abilities from other jobs more effectively. I was just speaking from self experience. I have a fairly well geared dnc with both pdt and evasion sets, pdt just works better for me with either /war or /sam or even /rdm. Too many people use /nin as a crutch in the wrong situations.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tarusofo
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Neptune
By Ragnarok.Tarusofo 2013-04-21 03:02:48
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Supertanking is possible, but I definitely seem to get more points when I just go all out on the roots with an enspell up from a SCH! People like to wake up the mobs my SCH is sleeping though herpderpderp.
It takes a special kind of stupid, to purposely wake/kill the mobs on Reives. I hope these people have a spot reserved in hell!

But now seriously though, been doing a lot of Reives lately and it's so bad. Particularly when there's someone that I've invited to my party and I forget I'm not with my usuals, I do Warcry and oh, guess what, an angry-*** Matamata wants my delicious Taru-guts. Oh it stunned me, okay let's see Fan Dance, Defender, oh wait now my TP is at 0. Oh stunned again. Died. ._.

I must admit I need to work a lot on my Evasion set, particularly in the new zones. If I stay on my usual one, they even rarely miss. D: