100,000,000g Bounty
First Page 2 3 ... 72 73 74 ... 76 77 78
 Phoenix.Urteil
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-12-06 15:12:31
Link | Citer | R

Can I say the first five didn't matter because I wasn't taking him seriously and only when I realize I was in trouble it mattered and because of that I changed my sets and due to that I tried harder cause I didn't know what was good and really it only matters when you feel like you need to rise to the occasion and because of that . . . .

Nope.
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: analgesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2012-12-06 15:12:49
Link | Citer | R

If you asked Deadwing who was the better PVPer, he'd probably say Urteil.

Urteil trained to face any job that anyone could throw at him. He is very, very good at PVP. Deadwing was able to focus the entirety of his efforts on one job. He is very, very good at killing Dark Knights (and probably well above average at killing anything else).

That said, I seriously doubt that Deadwing set out to be the best PVPer of all time. He set out to kill Urteil 5 times before Urteil could kill him 5 times, and walk away with the most classily earned e-prize since the quartermastered Ridill.

Deadwing is now the proud owner of 100,000,000 very well earned gil.
[+]
 Phoenix.Shiomi
user: Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2012-12-06 15:13:37
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Nibu said: »
Phoenix.Shiomi said: »
Ragnarok.Ejiin said: »
The "Urteil is still King because he won 5 more in the exhibition match after" is silly.

And yet Muhammad Ali is still the greatest boxer ever.

Again, "greatest" is subjective.

A baseball team can hang-on by a thread to get into, and win, the World Series against an undefeated team. One person would say the winner of the World Series is the best because "they won when it mattered most," while another might say the World Series loss was a fluke, and to look at the WS losing team's record that season/the franchise history which may be outstanding.

Look... can we stick to boxing references please? I like baseball too ... but come on man.
 Carbuncle.Nibu
user: nibu
By Carbuncle.Nibu 2012-12-06 15:13:50
Link | Citer | R

Oh, yes there is. If someone beat him over and over and over again, I'm sure he'd hand his crown off to said person.

I don't think any such obvious and satisfying conclusion will occur.

If you take the "top 2" players from any sport (yes, I'm continuing on with sports analogies), the skill difference between them may be minimal (significant, but minimal). In a series of 100 games, no one is going to consistently, over-and-over, beat the other. You may end up with a 55-45 split, 60-40, etc.

Granted, with a large enough sample size, you're going to get a significant difference at some point, and may base your evaluation of a victor on that. But it's certainly not going to be as one-sided as it seems you're implying.

edit: Replace "top 2" players with "top 2" boxers, heh.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-12-06 15:14:48
Link | Citer | R

I think a 5-0 turn around is pretty obvious.

Unless I can call everything a fluke and in turn marginalize his victory, which in my eyes is total ***.

Ignoring the second round is just a bunch of nonsense, by the same token I could sit here and scream all day excuses and reasons about why I lost and on the same grounds demand that his victory be illegitimate by something other than solid evidence of foul play.

I don't have these things, and I am skeptical to their existence. I feel he won the first round, and deserves the prize.

These aren't hypothetical situations, they happened:

5-2
5-0 (5-1 if I just give him a chain-spell victory, which I don't mind.)

But that *** kicking that was delivered after - ignoring that isn't correct either.
 Bahamut.Cantontai
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2012-12-06 15:14:49
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Ejiin said: »
The "Urteil is still King because he won 5 more in the exhibition match after" is silly.

And yet Muhammad Ali is still the greatest boxer ever.

Again, "greatest" is subjective.

A baseball team can hang-on by a thread to get into, and win, the World Series against an undefeated team. One person would say the winner of the World Series is the best because "they won when it mattered most," while another might say the World Series loss was a fluke, and to look at the WS losing team's record that season/the franchise history which may be outstanding.

The difference being that in baseball playoffs there is a HUGE amount of statistical data available before the championship match, and then they make them play 7 games.

Personally, I think Urteil should have made a play-in of some kind mandatory before the fights, since the challenger has the tremendous advantage of being able to scout Urteil before the match. Then again, I think Urteil wanted that extra handicap, so maybe it was not his lack of skill but hubris that lost him his gil...
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-12-06 15:28:07
Link | Citer | R

Unless we're all okay with me blabbering about my mindset and how I wasn't "ready" and that I was "nervous" and because of all the people watching my "mind-set" was compromised. My gear wasn't optimized I only realized mid-fight that I could do something "better." Woe is me.

Not a single one of these would fly for me. Not a single centimeter.

I lost, he'll get paid.
Then I resoundingly won right after he walked up the mountain.
Deal with it.

If somebody wasn't trying or any other BS that is a personal problem. What if I had said that - LOL.

Wait - that's allowed, I can do that? I can just come out and say "Guys! I wasn't trying." And we need to do the 100,000,000g fight over?
/sarcasm?

Gil. Well spent.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-12-06 15:31:02
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Urteil said: »
I lost, he'll get paid.
not likely if you're counting on more than 50m for that duplus
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-12-06 15:33:07
Link | Citer | R

I couldn't possibly have other things to sell/liquidate.
 Carbuncle.Nibu
By Carbuncle.Nibu 2012-12-06 15:33:39
Link | Citer | R

Look, I'll just conclude by saying again: People have different definitions of what it means to be "the greatest" at something. You obviously have one definition, and I happen to disagree with it. Greatness is not an objective matter.
[+]
 Bahamut.Cantontai
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2012-12-06 15:35:22
Link | Citer | R

Edit: misread
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-12-06 15:36:26
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Cantontai said: »
People have different definitions of what it means to be "the greatest" at something.

Greatness is not an objective matter.

Ummmmmmm
Not objective means that it's not linearly defined, and as such, that people have different definitions of what it means to be "the greatest" at something.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-06 15:39:29
Link | Citer | R

Making excuses about either of the rounds is pretty silly. Stop being biased towards either of the opponents and you'll see the matches for what they are.
2-5; 5-0.
Nothing more, nothing less.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nibu
By Carbuncle.Nibu 2012-12-06 15:46:18
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Making excuses about either of the rounds is pretty silly. Stop being biased towards either of the opponents and you'll see the matches for what they are.
2-5; 5-0.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Being completely objective (or neutral) can be absurd at certain levels. Art communicates something, and it's pretty boring to just engage such pieces as "colors and shapes." Similarly, these numbers communicate something, and the discussion that occurs because of them consist of peoples' attempts to interpret and assign meaning to them.

And having an opinion does not necessarily imply bias. Granted, we all have biases, known and unknown, but opinions can have rational elements as well.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-06 16:03:18
Link | Citer | R

This isn't a musical masterpiece, the only feeling it gives me is killing boredome watching them fight.
 Carbuncle.Nibu
By Carbuncle.Nibu 2012-12-06 16:20:56
Link | Citer | R

Communications can also involve ideas, such as determining issues of greatness.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-12-06 16:24:24
Link | Citer | R

I'll be fighting Zirk Friday, and Deadwings again Saturday/Sunday.
We'll have the stream ready and post the general times, so stay tuned.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-06 16:31:44
Link | Citer | R

Make sure all planets are aligned perfectly before the fights cause otherwise that's obviously gonna invalidate any outcome.

If only the constellation of the Aquarius was 10 degrees to the east my enfeebles would have landed!

When there's a full moon I never play seriously.

I ate something bad and my tummy was aching.

I couldn't kill you because I love you!(extreme excuse)

And so on.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-12-06 16:32:11
Link | Citer | R

I'm going to walk out and accept my fate.
 Phoenix.Shiomi
user: Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2012-12-06 16:34:08
Link | Citer | R

Make sure all planets are aligned perfectly before the fights cause otherwise that's obviously gonna invalidate any outcome.

If only the constellation of the Aquarius was 10 degrees to the east my enfeebles would have landed!

And so on.

Omg I love you.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-12-06 16:46:57
Link | Citer | R

And so on.
While I agree neither side has an excuse, I don't think it's fair to simplify it to 7-5. The order of the kills shows a lot. While it's respectable for Deadwing to gear up for Urteil and win, a 5 kill streak should be significant enough to indicate Urteil adapted extremely well.

(I'll give you 150m to come to Levi and beat me once!)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-12-06 16:55:05
Link | Citer | R

I was careful every fight, changed gear and attempted strategies at my own peril.
Expecting no recourse.
 Lakshmi.Spoiled
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Spoiled
By Lakshmi.Spoiled 2012-12-06 17:00:24
Link | Citer | R

I want to know, what will you(Deadwing) do with the gil?
Lifetime in RMT leech pt?
[+]
 Asura.Bluespoons
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Bluespoons 2012-12-06 17:01:36
Link | Citer | R

Turn it into 100,000,000 singles and swim in it.
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
Serveur: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-12-06 17:02:34
Link | Citer | R

Spoilered the video incase people don't like the thumbnail, its the peter griffon diving into money bit.
[+]
 Asura.Redshift
Serveur: Asura
user: Redshift
By Asura.Redshift 2012-12-06 17:33:12
Link | Citer | R

Congrats Deadwing! ^^

I really wish I did PvP with you before you left, but architecture school does not leave much free time...

What are your plans now? Stay on Phoenix? Coming back to neo-Pandy?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nibu
By Carbuncle.Nibu 2012-12-06 17:49:01
Link | Citer | R

And so on.

I am going to conclude (for realsies this time) my participation in this discussion because it is evident that a respectful dialog can not take place.

Ironically, though, I would make that same argument, so I actually agree with it (not the literal argument; the intended sarcastic one)
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 72 73 74 ... 76 77 78