Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 357 358 359 ... 445 446 447
By geigei 2019-03-14 13:01:30
Link | Citer | R

Savage was the best ws to use since sequence was introduced, up until tizona was augmented again.
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Kyte 2019-03-14 13:14:13
Link | Citer | R

That wasn't always true just prior to RMEA augments and it sure as ***wasn't always true when Sequence was newly introduced.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2019-03-14 14:59:31
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kyte said: »
That wasn't always true just prior to RMEA augments and it sure as ***wasn't always true when Sequence was newly introduced.
Say one happens to be main handing an Almace...
 Leviathan.Stamos
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2019-03-15 00:30:13
Link | Citer | R

Just a quick test on Dhalmel outside Mhaura

Maxentius/Kaja

Tenebral crush - 19637

Subduction - 9406

Entomb - 14953

Spectral Floe - 17896

Retinal Glare - 12355

Searing Tempest - 14121

Silent Storm - 14382

Anvil Lightning - 14331

Maxentius/Nibiru

Tenebral Crush - 19570

Subduction - 9055

Entomb - 14705

Spectral Floe - 18001

Retinal Glare - 12147

Searing Tempest - 13872

Silent Storm - 14139

Anvil Lightning - 12674
[+]
By geigei 2019-03-15 00:43:45
Link | Citer | R

The subduction bonus is absurd, probably mdmg works like just like for low tier elemental nukes, getting one.
By soralin 2019-03-15 19:44:27
Link | Citer | R

So, I made the following post: https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/53463/best-job-for-soloing-content

And there does seem to be overwhelming positivity towards Blu as the job choice, which I am not the least bit surprised by.

I come as a very very well geared pld with Aegis+Ochain+Excal, I have a decent bit of bread and butter gear, I have all sword WSes unlocked, maxed skills already, etc.

If I were to pick up Blu, Id like to jump in either with the Naegling or Maxentius, as I have resources on hand to get one Ambu weapon.

I'm leaning towards Naegling, because then I dont need to lean on a nuking set asap, and instead I just need to solo farm up the TP Bonus sword I believe, is that correct?

And as an Ochain Paladin, making the TP Bonus sword is a complete breeze, so thats very very low effort. I could probably pump that out in one sitting in abyssea!

So I'd just need to focus on my TPing set and Savage Blade sets, which I believe have a fair bit of overlap with my Paladin Savage Blade set anyways.

So, the questions are:

1. Which would be easier to gear up from scratch? A Savage Blade Naegling Blu, or a Maxentius Black Halo MB Blu?

2. Which one will probably give me the best results for soloing end game content with a pocket Geo to support me?

3. Will I encounter any kind of walls where the listed weapons won't 'get there' on fights, or can Naegling carry me all the way to like, T3 Escha fights and Dynamis Wave 3 stuff? And I will need to make a Tizona or something?
By Sabishii 2019-03-15 21:43:36
Link | Citer | R

soralin said: »
So, I made the following post: https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/53463/best-job-for-soloing-content

And there does seem to be overwhelming positivity towards Blu as the job choice, which I am not the least bit surprised by.

I come as a very very well geared pld with Aegis+Ochain+Excal, I have a decent bit of bread and butter gear, I have all sword WSes unlocked, maxed skills already, etc.

If I were to pick up Blu, Id like to jump in either with the Naegling or Maxentius, as I have resources on hand to get one Ambu weapon.

I'm leaning towards Naegling, because then I dont need to lean on a nuking set asap, and instead I just need to solo farm up the TP Bonus sword I believe, is that correct?

And as an Ochain Paladin, making the TP Bonus sword is a complete breeze, so thats very very low effort. I could probably pump that out in one sitting in abyssea!

So I'd just need to focus on my TPing set and Savage Blade sets, which I believe have a fair bit of overlap with my Paladin Savage Blade set anyways.

So, the questions are:

1. Which would be easier to gear up from scratch? A Savage Blade Naegling Blu, or a Maxentius Black Halo MB Blu?

2. Which one will probably give me the best results for soloing end game content with a pocket Geo to support me?

3. Will I encounter any kind of walls where the listed weapons won't 'get there' on fights, or can Naegling carry me all the way to like, T3 Escha fights and Dynamis Wave 3 stuff? And I will need to make a Tizona or something?

Get a Naegling, Sword is much better for melee than club, the clubs are for nuking (there's situations of course where you need blunt damage, like that warder of fortitude in escha sky which switches damage types, it'd be easier having swords and clubs available, but those situations are far and few). You can use 2 nibiru cudgels for nuking. You don't think of BLU as being built for melee or nuking, because you need melee sets for your bread-and-butter BLUing, and when you want to cleave things, you bust out your clubs and magic sets.

Magic Bursting is limited to once every 2 minutes, because you need to use burst affinity to magic burst one spell (or use azure lore, your first SP ability). It's stupid, but nothing you can do about that.

BLU has a higher sword skill, and more utility with swords (CDC for self-light, requiescat for non-elemental and chains with CDC for darkness, Savage Blade for WS-Spam without Skillchains, and Sanguine Blade is good if you need some magic damage or emergency HP). Focus on getting something like, Naegling, and a good offhand, like a Colada, Nibiru blade, or even an Iris if you can. Get your melee sets (herc and adhemar, samnhua tights, etc.), and get some good nuking gear (almaric with a herc helm augmented along magic is great), and a pair of nibiru cudgels.
By soralin 2019-03-16 08:36:38
Link | Citer | R

Wouldn't TP Bonus offhand sword hands down be the best for Savage Blade spam?

Seems like it will easily out DPS anything else.

I guess it depends on how much damage you can do with the skillchains, but I feel like just going ham with Savage Blade is acceptable.
By geigei 2019-03-16 08:51:11
Link | Citer | R

It is, assuming you can cap acc.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin 2019-03-16 08:55:54
Link | Citer | R

I guess it depends on how much damage you can do with the skillchains, but I feel like just going ham with Savage Blade is acceptable.

Doing the math by eyeball and theory, I agree with you. Should be BiS for non-dream blu. Favoring savage blade spam.
 Shiva.Arislan
Serveur: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2019-03-16 08:57:52
Link | Citer | R

A weapon won't keep you from passing content, just like having R15 + Magian won't win it for you.

Your playing skill, tactics, spellsets, gear sets and trust choices will play a much bigger factor in when you hit a wall.

Stressing over your weapon first is like the tail wagging the dog.
[+]
By Sabishii 2019-03-16 08:58:32
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin said: »

Doing the math by eyeball and theory, I agree with you. Should be BiS for non-dream blu. Favoring savage blade spam.

But a starting BLU won't be able to cap accuracy (depending on what he's doing), he's just starting out, so it'd behoove him to get an ilvl offhand too.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By soralin 2019-03-16 09:14:33
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Arislan said: »

A weapon won't keep you from passing content, just like having R15 + Magian won't win it for you.

Your playing skill, tactics, spellsets, gear sets and trust choices will play a much bigger factor in when you hit a wall.

Stressing over your weapon first is like the tail wagging the dog.

The reason I say this is there are other jobs that do require specific DREAM weapons to 'get there' due to powerful bonuses provided by it.

Paladin, for example, just straight up requires Aegis to do a lot of content.

But its good to know I can get there with Naegling. Thats part of why I felt blu was the best fit.
By SimonSes 2019-03-16 11:22:46
Link | Citer | R

Will I encounter any kind of walls where the listed weapons won't 'get there' on fights, or can Naegling carry me all the way to like, T3 Escha fights and Dynamis Wave 3 stuff? And I will need to make a Tizona or something?

I'm a little confused. You are talking about duo wave 3 or what? With full buffs and top acc sets you can probably not be acc floored with TP bonus offhand, but if you are talking about duo dynamis with GEO, then you probably wont be acc capped even on wave 2. Not to mention you will struggle to even kill midboss and obviously there is no way to duo wave 2 boss.
By soralin 2019-03-16 12:18:12
Link | Citer | R

SimonSes said: »
Will I encounter any kind of walls where the listed weapons won't 'get there' on fights, or can Naegling carry me all the way to like, T3 Escha fights and Dynamis Wave 3 stuff? And I will need to make a Tizona or something?

I'm a little confused. You are talking about duo wave 3 or what? With full buffs and top acc sets you can probably not be acc floored with TP bonus offhand, but if you are talking about duo dynamis with GEO, then you probably wont be acc capped even on wave 2. Not to mention you will struggle to even kill midboss and obviously there is no way to duo wave 2 boss.

Its not complicated.

There exist jobs other than blu that have mandatory RMEA weapons/gear that are just straight up required out of the box for the job to be even remotely playable. Bard, Paladin, etc.

I am looking to solo on Blu, but wanted to double check that Blu doesnt have mandatory RMEA weapons to do solo content.

That question is now answered.
By SimonSes 2019-03-16 13:52:01
Link | Citer | R

SimonSes said: »

Its not complicated.

There exist jobs other than blu that have mandatory RMEA weapons/gear that are just straight up required out of the box for the job to be even remotely playable. Bard, Paladin, etc.

I am looking to solo on Blu, but wanted to double check that Blu doesnt have mandatory RMEA weapons to do solo content.

That question is now answered.

It is very confusing because of bolded part.
By tyalangan 2019-03-18 14:15:21
Link | Citer | R

I may wait for +2 availability but since I’m on a small server it may not happen so:

Is nq max rank (DEX15, crit3%) > fotia for cdc? I have Almace and Sequence but no Tiz.

Based on the DRG guide it seems folia is still > jse max torque (STR15) for stardiver so does 3% crit push above fotia for cdc or would I be better waiting years, potentially for a +2 to show up, and continuing fotia?

Like, what is the % increase on spreadsheets showing? I had one setup on my old computer but it’s out of service atm and don’t want to fully build a new one just for this. Thanks for those that still have!
By SimonSes 2019-03-18 15:47:15
Link | Citer | R

tyalangan said: »
Is nq max rank (DEX15, crit3%) > fotia for cdc? I have Almace and Sequence but no Tiz.

Fotia is better.

That being said, they are very close assuming STR on neck also gives fSTR and JSE neck is also more accuracy, so it's definitely good alternative.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By SimonSes 2019-03-19 05:11:58
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Gordel said: »
Prosilio Belt +1 or fotia for savage/exp?

Metalsinger for savage. Wanion for expiacion.
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-03-19 09:48:52
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Xelltrix said: »
Anyway, just happy that someone posted about it on here

You're welcome :) I needed to overcome Taint's skepticism after my first post about Tizona/Thibron, but it was so funny reading his next posts when he realized how pewerful it is :)
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Serveur: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-03-29 05:56:32
Link | Citer | R

Looking to improve a couple of my sets with the options I already have available but I'm unable to decide if they could be better or what I currently use or not.
With that said, let's proceed with no further ado:

Physical Spells

Stun spells (lunge etc)

More random questions:

1) Considering I MH a Sequence, are Kaja Sword/Naglring considered decent offhand? I don't really have anything else ready. I could take a Colada off my mule and augment it but that would take time, effort, gil and inventory space! If Kaja/Naglring are considered "decent" options I'd rather stay with one of them for my OH.

2) Given my current options (Sequence, Kaja Sword, perf Vampirism x2), what should I use when I'm cleaving stuff?
Would Nibiru Club still be better than all of the mentioned options? (think I have one on my mule)

3) Ring2 for TP (on ring1 I use Epona). Hetairoi vs Petrov? Did some moderate tests but they seem pretty close to each other. Hard to evaluate the impact of TA damage on hetairoi though.

4) Breath spells. I know they're useless lol, but out of curiosity does BLU skill do anything for them or is it completely useless?
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2019-03-29 06:15:16
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
Looking to improve a couple of my sets with the options I already have available but I'm unable to decide if they could be better or what I currently use or not.

Physical Spells

Stun spells (lunge etc)

More random questions:

1) Considering I MH a Sequence, are Kaja Sword/Naglring considered decent offhand? I don't really have anything else ready. I could take a Colada off my mule and augment it but that would take time, effort, gil and inventory space! If Kaja/Naglring are considered "decent" options I'd rather stay with one of them for my OH.

2) Given my current options (Sequence, Kaja Sword, perf Vampirism x2), what should I use when I'm cleaving stuff?
Would Nibiru Club still be better than all of the mentioned options? (think I have one on my mule)

3) Ring2 for TP (on ring1 I use Epona). Hetairoi vs Petrov? Did some moderate tests but they seem pretty close to each other. Hard to evaluate the impact of TA damage on hetairoi though.

4) Breath spells. I know they're useless lol, but out of curiosity does BLU skill do anything for them or is it completely useless?

1) Kaga/Naeg aren't horrible since they have acc, and MND, but since they don't have STR, they would lose as an offhand to a few things.
a) Colada STR/WSD has a decent possible balance of Accuracy STR and WSD
b) Vampirism is excellent if accuracy isn't a concern
c) Thibron is even better if accuracy REALLY isn't a concern (in which case Kaja/Naeg takes over for main hand)
d) Hepatizon Sapara +1 has STR MND Acc
e) Fettering Blade has STR MND and acc as well
f) Mimesis also has STR MND (though only 10) but alot of acc/m.macc, situational.

2) For cleaving you'd probably stick with Kaja and one Nibiru club, especially if you only have one. Ideally you would use Maxentius and Nibiru, but it's not a huge difference. Vampirism can have strong numbers for spells like Searing Tempest due to high STR, so if you have weapons unlocked, that's another viable choice. The Kaja Sword I'm mostly advocating for since it has good m.acc, and you'll likely want at least one of the weapons to have good m.acc when the damage loss is mimimal.

3) Ring choice

a) Since you are seemingly Savage Blade focused, it depends on which of the above options you were using. You'd want to use petrov if you are using Sequence, and some other non-TP bonus offhand sword, due to the sweet spot where TP overflow becomes less useful at 1250 w/ sequence (though you should WS when you have 1000+ regardless, just having overflow helps is all I'm saying, You could use Chirich+1 instead, too). If on the other hand you are offhanding Thibron, your primary concern will be reaching 1000TP as quickly as possible and WSing, as diminishing returns will make the difference largely unnoticable. Now which ring this favors will depend on the rest of your gear, so you may just go test where your TP set puts you per swing with and without Samurai Roll.

b) If you are using primarily CDC for skillchains, as you may be in some solo situations, especially when you are far from pDIF, hetairoi will probably suit you better assuming you aren't constantly falling just short of 1000TP.

4) I have no *** clue, sorry friend.
[+]
 Asura.Darkkaze
user: Darcc
By Asura.Darkkaze 2019-03-29 06:45:30
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Byrne said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »

Physical Spells

Stun spells (lunge etc)

More random questions:

1) Kaga/Naeg aren't horrible since they have acc, and MND, but since they don't have STR, they would lose as an offhand to a few things.
a) Colada STR/WSD has a decent possible balance of Accuracy STR and WSD
b) Vampirism is excellent if accuracy isn't a concern
c) Thibron is even better if accuracy REALLY isn't a concern (in which case Kaja/Naeg takes over for main hand)
d) Hepatizon Sapara +1 has STR MND Acc
e) Fettering Blade has STR MND and acc as well
f) Mimesis also has STR MND (though only 10) but alot of acc/m.macc, situational.

2) For cleaving you'd probably stick with Kaja and one Nibiru club, especially if you only have one. Ideally you would use Maxentius and Nibiru, but it's not a huge difference. Vampirism can have strong numbers for spells like Searing Tempest due to high STR, so if you have weapons unlocked, that's another viable choice. The Kaja Sword I'm mostly advocating for since it has good m.acc, and you'll likely want at least one of the weapons to have good m.acc when the damage loss is mimimal.

3) Ring choice

a) Since you are seemingly Savage Blade focused, it depends on which of the above options you were using. You'd want to use petrov if you are using Sequence, and some other non-TP bonus offhand sword, due to the sweet spot where TP overflow becomes less useful at 1250 w/ sequence (though you should WS when you have 1000+ regardless, just having overflow helps is all I'm saying, You could use Chirich+1 instead, too). If on the other hand you are offhanding Thibron, your primary concern will be reaching 1000TP as quickly as possible and WSing, as diminishing returns will make the difference largely unnoticable. Now which ring this favors will depend on the rest of your gear, so you may just go test where your TP set puts you per swing with and without Samurai Roll.

b) If you are using primarily CDC for skillchains, as you may be in some solo situations, especially when you are far from pDIF, hetairoi will probably suit you better assuming you aren't constantly falling just short of 1000TP.

4) I have no *** clue, sorry friend.

JSE Neck NQ/+1/+2 all beat sanctity for stun sets.
By DaneBlood 2019-03-29 08:08:52
Link | Citer | R

if your arsenal consists of

R15 tizona
AG almace
119 Sequence
Thibron

is there any other weapons to toss in for melee ?
By Boshi 2019-03-29 08:32:45
Link | Citer | R

Maxentius and probably Blurred+1 for blunt build.
(aluv club -mayyybe- might still win mainhand if you have to use Realmrazer? haven't bothered sheeting it)

Vampirism x2 for piercing build
[+]
 Seraph.Jacaut
Serveur: Seraph
user: Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2019-04-15 09:19:13
Link | Citer | R

If i have Sequence, should i still make Naeling? Just got Sequence this weekend, and have only been back to the game for a month or 2 so I'm still getting my bearings.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2019-04-16 01:45:33
Link | Citer | R

I originally geared up my BLU recently for the main purpose of farming omen solo in < 30 mins with AoE setup.
I've heard many people talking about it and it sounded interesting.
Previously I had my best farming results (completely solo with trusts) with my BRD riding 5 songs, but that takes me more like ~40 mins, bit more probably.

So, I've had a few attempts on BLU over the last days, like 5 runs, it's been a lot of trial & errors with several deaths, 1 time out, a wipe on first floor and so on.
After improving on each run I've concluded that something is wrong.
Either I'm missing something in the approach, or I'm missing some very important item (Tizona?) or people who farm on BLU in 20 mins runs have a GEO or COR mule, I dunno.

Here is what I've been trying to do:

So... what am I doing wrong?
Or is what I wanted to do (AoE farming Omen in >30 mins) simply not possible on BLU unless you have Tizona and/or a mule?

Edit:
I completely lack JPs, I have like 65 total. But I don't see that changing my life.
Sure having much more Mab/Macc would mean Petrify/Terror lasting longer and it would also mean less chances of me being interrupted while casting the initial Dream Flower, and also less spells to cast because the first Spectral Floe would likely kill everything except the transcended.
But I don't see that completely changing my main issue which is not damage, rather MP.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2019-04-16 02:23:03
Link | Citer | R

Some tips from friends that I didn't consider but that make a lot of sense:

1) Zephyr Mantle over Occultation (MPcost of the latter is quite intense)
2) Instead of /THF going /RDM for Aquaveil, Convert and whatnot.
3) Beetles on floor 2 can be Magichammered. Anything else? I thought only Panopts and Fairies could be magichammered.

Now that's some quality changes I guess.
First Page 2 3 ... 357 358 359 ... 445 446 447