Magian Staves As SCH?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » Magian Staves as SCH?
Magian Staves as SCH?
First Page 2
By cptransom 2011-09-15 07:57:04
Link | Citer | R

What would be the best way to go about doing these staves as SCH? Whenever I go out now, I'm in one of two scenarios: A) kills are MP efficient, but take forever and need a lot of room to kite or B) 1-2 kills completely drain my MP and go quickly, but then force me to rest.

I know the best answer would be to find someone to get mobs low so I can get killing blow, but I'm interested in how you guys go about soloing these trials (or EP mobs in general) efficiently/quickly.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-09-15 08:00:22
Link | Citer | R

go to abyssea and do them there.
[+]
 Asura.Zatana
Serveur: Asura
user: Zatana
By Asura.Zatana 2011-09-15 08:41:06
Link | Citer | R

Are there any specific trials you're referring to? I know not all of them can be done in Abyssea (ie. the ones that require weather).
By cptransom 2011-09-15 08:50:45
Link | Citer | R

I'm on specific kills for Wind (I was going to make staff for Garuda, but I haven't touched my SMN in months and don't really plan to) and Ice at the moment, and Light weather arcana for Cure staff. I was trying sleep-parsimony-nuke-sleep-parsimony-nuke outside of Aby, and I'd be out of MP after 2-3 kills. I'm not looking for places to find the right mobs; I'm looking for a possibly more efficient method of soloing than what I'm currently doing. Granted, my gear is pretty terrible, but asking about other playstyle options can't hurt, right? =)
 Phoenix.Elspetta
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Elspetta
By Phoenix.Elspetta 2011-09-15 09:01:30
Link | Citer | R

cptransom said: »
I'm on specific kills for Wind (I was going to make staff for Garuda, but I haven't touched my SMN in months and don't really plan to) and Ice at the moment, and Light weather arcana for Cure staff. I was trying sleep-parsimony-nuke-sleep-parsimony-nuke outside of Aby, and I'd be out of MP after 2-3 kills. I'm not looking for places to find the right mobs; I'm looking for a possibly more efficient method of soloing than what I'm currently doing. Granted, my gear is pretty terrible, but asking about other playstyle options can't hurt, right? =)

On the trials that cannot be done in Aby, I typically prefer to go on sch (in Aby its all about -ga farming on blm). For Arcana on lightsday, the easiest thing you can do is get in an Altepa party, equip the staff and reap the rewards of the alliance killing dolls. However, if your staff or club skill is decent, you could always melee them down, then nuke.

I do the same method you referred to parsimony/ebullience > nuke > sleep then rinse and repeat. While sleeping, I equip my idle gear, which currently gives me +4 tick refresh on top of using sublimation often. If you do have staff skill and can beat on things at the same time, using Adloquium (sp?) and Spirit Taker is also a great help on mp.
[+]
 Asura.Zatana
Serveur: Asura
user: Zatana
By Asura.Zatana 2011-09-15 09:05:48
Link | Citer | R

If MP efficiency is what you're trying to achieve you're going about it the right way. Sch af3 legs would enhance Parsimony and possibly save you a bit of MP, and I'm sure you're already using Sublimation and Convert as often as possible. You may want to give Abyssea a shot though if you can, the mobs can be rather weak and with the right Atmas (Minikin) you shouldn't run out of MP, ever.
 Hades.Tripster
Serveur: Hades
user: Lisamarie
By Hades.Tripster 2011-09-15 09:08:43
Link | Citer | R

I personally did a lot of staves both on BLM and RDM outside abyssea and inside, and I didn't slept the mob. I just ate the hits with Stoneskin and Aquaveil up and killed it fast.

Sleep > Nuke > sleep > Nuke is a lot less mp efficient...

Keep Aquaveil up and only sleep if you're going down.
 Sylph.Katalsar
Serveur: Sylph
user: Katalsar
By Sylph.Katalsar 2011-10-04 03:00:56
Link | Citer | R

Pretty much since I soloed most of my staffs I have a lot of experience with this and I'll give you some pointers on what I did.

1.) If the mob is in Abyssea its your best bet.
2.) Hate to say it but BLM > SCH when it comes to these trials.
3.) If you going to solo or be fisherman be sure you stack up on PDT- gear.
4.) In addition to PDT- make sure you stack up on SIRD gear that way if your aquaveil wears off you still have a chance to sleepga.
5.) Movement Speed really helps with fishing also. If you have gil get Herald's if you don't have it, get some desert boots, sch main or /sch and just sandstorm in b/w pulls.
6.) Atma would help you a lot I mostly used Beyond/MM/Ultimate. Using boost elemental dmg atma is good also.

I'll explain how I did my trial on SCH first. I did the Vayu Staff (wind) first.
1.) I was SCH/RDM, used atma Beyond/MM/Ultimate, Had full Sublimation gear, and idle refresh 3/tick to keep MP up.
2.) Buff up aquaveil, stoneskin, phalanx, firestorm, klimaform.
3.) All that is needed is ebullience and nuke mob down rinse repeat until done. Will take a while though.

For BLM everything is much much much! faster!

why?
1.) You have access to -ga -ja spells
2.) No strategems for good dmg and sleepga

All you need to do is this solo BLM..Sleepga/ja or ga/repeat
First macro set is for movement speed + PDT-
second make a sleepga 1 or 2 macro w/ all your SIRD gear.

Ok so example of me doing trials.. (BLM/SCH)
1.) Your in your mog house leave out sublimation asap so it'll build up while otw there.
2.) Go to desired location and Get time/buffs
-Optional can reraise up I personally didn't give a *** about exp so i just HP if i died.
3.) Buff yourself aquaveil(Is a MUST), stoneskin, blink, sandstorm(if desert boots)
4.) Now dark arts to help reduce casting speed/recast
5.) Run aggro mobs have them link I say 3~5 for starters when your experienced you can do 8~14
6.) Pull in a good safe location
7.) sleepga (make sure all together.)
8.) Buff take off PDT- gear
-Optional what I did personally sleepga 1, buffed then sleepga 2, so i know i have time to do whatever is needed.
9.) when ready Nuke with highest AoE spell
10.) repeat step 7 then 9
11.) when almost all dead finish w/ a -ga of what trial desires.
 Sylph.Katalsar
By Sylph.Katalsar 2011-10-04 03:06:58
Link | Citer | R

I forgot who gave me this website but for all your weather trials this website is very useful.

Your text to link here...

It tells you what weather is going on in that region.
 Carbuncle.Wulfshadow
Serveur: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Wulfshadow 2011-10-04 09:52:37
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Katalsar said: »
I'm going to disagree with you here, at least for the parts of trials you do outside abyssea. SCH's innate means of mp conservation while also being able to one-shot the mob regardless had me outlasting a blm doing the same trial easily when I was doing my ice staff.
The blm's 282 MP Blizzard V is turned into a ~100 MP Blizzard V nowadays due to a parsimony, and is easily capable of one-shotting the mob.

Inside abyssea, I wouldn't necessarily deter someone from doing trials as sch, especially if they don't have blm leveled.
On my sch trials I would complete them at a fairly quick pace given that I never had to rest. Ever. If ebullience is required, if done correctly, it will instantly destroy the mob which prevents the need for protective buffs. During my Ice Staff trials while doing the wyverns in Abyssea - Konschtat, my blizzard IV back at 85 cap would be leaving the wyverns at 20%, having blizzard V would just wreck them nowadays.
Also, with our new spell embrava, you can perpetuance that onto yourself within abyssea due to 2-hour chests, and never have to worry about healing yourself or any damage you might take from resists.
And needless to say, regardless of zone I think sch has blm beat for doing dark staff trials for obvious reasons.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2011-10-04 10:15:54
Link | Citer | R

BLM pulls ahead when teamed up with other BLM and can round up a bunch of mobs and aga/sleepga/aga kill them. In this instance a few BLM can use all their MP killing every mob they see and spend the time in between resting/restoring MP.

SCH pulls ahead on trials that can be accomplished by killing BST mob pets or other single target kills. These are trials where ebullience/parsimony/alacrity really help to manage the MP flow and killing.

EDIT: If making a Dark staff SCH will be a better choice hands down.

Kaustra says hi
Drainga says hi
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-10-04 11:03:54
Link | Citer | R

I just killed beastmen's pets where I could since you can just one shot them. Granted I have other things to be doing in the day so I like knowing I'm not in danger of timing out >.>
 Phoenix.Eckeward
Serveur: Phoenix
user: eckeward
By Phoenix.Eckeward 2011-10-04 11:12:45
Link | Citer | R

The best way to make a trial go faster is to get a friend to help or find someone on the trial to partner up with. 2 people on a trial can make it go twice as fast, that's better than any other technique you can come up with solo.

Although having said that, you'll have a tough time in abyssea if you don't have good atmas. Minikin Monstrosity, Beyond and Baying Moon (or Ultimate or Full Moon) are pretty standard and fairly easy to get. If you don't have 3 good atmas or can't equip 3 atmas, then that's a higher priority.

For weather trials outside, I'd recommend waiting for the right weather than the right day. If you have a particular mob family to kill try to think of a BST pet(easy for beast family). Lastly, you may be able to replace all of your Sleeps with 1 Gravity.

Weather Forecast
It tells you what weather is going on in that region.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-10-04 11:15:19
Link | Citer | R

2.) No strategems for good dmg and sleepga

Ebullience and Manifestation? Unless you're talking that BLM doesn't have to use those.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Netascha
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Netascha
By Quetzalcoatl.Netascha 2011-10-04 11:30:04
Link | Citer | R

I'm gonna guess kaustra's "tick" damage wouldn't count for killing blow on your darkness trial, my husband got a killshot with one of his helixes, and it didn't count for my trial. Seems the initial damage is elemental, the rest.. is just standard damage.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2011-10-04 12:36:44
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Wulfshadow said: »
I'm going to disagree with you here, at least for the parts of trials you do outside abyssea. SCH's innate means of mp conservation while also being able to one-shot the mob regardless had me outlasting a blm doing the same trial easily when I was doing my ice staff.
The blm's 282 MP Blizzard V is turned into a ~100 MP Blizzard V nowadays due to a parsimony, and is easily capable of one-shotting the mob.

Inside abyssea, I wouldn't necessarily deter someone from doing trials as sch, especially if they don't have blm leveled.
On my sch trials I would complete them at a fairly quick pace given that I never had to rest. Ever. If ebullience is required, if done correctly, it will instantly destroy the mob which prevents the need for protective buffs. During my Ice Staff trials while doing the wyverns in Abyssea - Konschtat, my blizzard IV back at 85 cap would be leaving the wyverns at 20%, having blizzard V would just wreck them nowadays.
Also, with our new spell embrava, you can perpetuance that onto yourself within abyssea due to 2-hour chests, and never have to worry about healing yourself or any damage you might take from resists.
And needless to say, regardless of zone I think sch has blm beat for doing dark staff trials for obvious reasons.

Yah agreed. Certain trials, that sch>blm. Anything outside abysssea. (e.g. Mousses in Bost for Indra+2) sch will pull ahead simply because sch just doesnt run out of mp. I remember killing every mousse in that zone and never running out of mp or resting or using convert. Inside abyssea it kinda depends on the mob. Personally i had problems with the Wyverns in Konschat Highlands killing me as blm (this was at 90 cap btw :p) b4 sleepga could go off so lol.

for the Dark Magic Attack staff trials. Kaustra would rock if u can get ISL chests going. OR u can just equip 2 regain atmas and cosmos and cataclysm all that stuff. Should hit for about 1-2k per mob.

IF YOU REALLY find urself bored during ur trials and want to amuse urself as I did. (cause by ur 4th staff ur kinda zoning out) i self skillchained my ***. Even if the skillchain kills the mob so long as the 2nd spell was the one for ur staff ur golden. water3>blizzard3 killed wyverns in my case
 Sylph.Katalsar
By Sylph.Katalsar 2011-10-04 20:59:59
Link | Citer | R

lolwut?

1st off..Bostaunieux Oubliette Slimes, Easy as hell its like 8 slimes go BLM/SCH run through w/ PDT- gear they barely hit hard and they aggro sound, avoid the traps, Pull them all sleepga or even nuke them. **Don't let you HP go low undead is near and will aggro**

I think you guys need to learn how to use your sub job b4 disagreeing. BLM/SCH yes isn't MP efficient however if you not a lolblm its pretty damn easy.
1.) Dark Arts work just like being SCH so same reductions.
2.) You have 2 Stratagems to parsimony or manifestation.
3.) With the new update you also have Manawell now which gives you a free 0 MP costing nuke.
4.) This is not abyssea mobs don't repop in like 20 secs. It takes 5 mins for repop. Get some damn Hmp gear, sublimation w/ stoneskin up, have your refresh body + serp set + owleyes + hairpin + subligar. If you don't have refresh for that particular armor piece fill it w/ HMP gear. Should be full once repop.

Anymore disagreements?
 Sylph.Katalsar
By Sylph.Katalsar 2011-10-04 21:01:53
Link | Citer | R

While your nuking 1 by 1 on SCH I can pull like 11-14 mobs kill them all, out of MP? np. sublimation and heal the rest of my MP while wait on repop.
 Sylph.Katalsar
By Sylph.Katalsar 2011-10-04 21:04:12
Link | Citer | R

Beetles same thing..Only trial which is what i'm on for my last staff, may be SCH for solo is Evil Weapons 250 fire dmg250+ which is in Ro'Maeve.
 Lakshmi.Rockjaw
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: knifefox
By Lakshmi.Rockjaw 2011-10-04 23:42:02
Link | Citer | R

What i do in abyssea zones is grav, helix, bio, bind, water+bliz+bliz = magic burst for kill. i'm level 88 and it works fine. Never ran out of mp yet.
 Ramuh.Austar
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-10-04 23:57:33
Link | Citer | R

worked for ironguy. :(
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-10-05 00:05:25
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Katalsar said:
snip

Cerberus.Vaness
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-10-05 00:07:15
Link | Citer | R

I have both sch and blm, always used BLM to do trial, seemed to do faster for whatever reason (guess it was because of no ability spam every.***.nuke) though I didn't had blizzard V (sch) when I did those trials.

1.Like everyone said, most of those trials are alot easier in abyssea (atma/cruor buffs/temps/2hr chest (hihi manafont every 5 min))

2.You shouldn't be needing to sleep, stoneskin/phalanx/blink/aquaveil should make you survive while you cast those 2..maybe 3 spells.

3.I always had a bit of a hard time soloing as sch outside abyssea, always found the lack of T5/-gas uber annoying and dat ability....And I am a fairly decent geared sch.Perhaps show us your gearset?Maybe we could point out some fairly cheap improvement you could make.

4.Why does all the SCH threads always turn into a BLM vs SCH thread.They both nuke, yes but they are total different jobs >.< It's like comparing oranges to apples.....ANYWAY!

<3 my sch ._.
/wave wolf! I knew I would find you here :3
 Ramuh.Austar
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-10-05 00:08:39
Link | Citer | R

someone tell wolf i'm not enabling him.
 Carbuncle.Wulfshadow