Forum » FFXI » Servers » Odin » Mature player, looking for a linkshell
Mature player, looking for a linkshell
 Odin.Motanon
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Motanon
By Odin.Motanon 2011-11-28 11:46:00
Link | Citer | R

rofl, when I read the subject line, I thought that you were applying for a personal ad.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-11-28 11:53:25
Link | Citer | R

If you were on Sylph, I'd recruit ya. We do all of the above events. Well, Abyssea isn't really an ls event as 99.9% of it can be low-manned. I'm 5/5 +2 on everything and never had more than 6 in a party while doing it. We do, however, Voidwach and Arch-Boss builds in Dynamis.
I'm certain though that there's some comepetent end-game linkshells on Odin that you'd fit right in with. Good Luck!!
 Odin.Liela
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-11-28 11:57:17
Link | Citer | R

You might look into Obsidian on Odin. They have scheduled events on their website forum so you know when things are going on each week, they've really cut down in size so instead of 30 or 40 members (hard to make that many people listen and work together, which is very frustrating) they have 10 or 15 members who are more open to communication (much more comfortable.) They use teamspeak during events for better communication as well. Most of the folks on the ls get along nicely, so there's not much middle-school drama. They do a wide variety of events, including some abyssea, voidwatch, dynamis, and sea. There's a limbus ls that is separate from Obsidian but composed of Obsidian members called RumSoakedParrots. We do limbus on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Theforce is friendly and nice, but can have the problems of waiting around for people to show up or waiting to do things that you mentioned. They are very sweet, but you have to be patient. They also have some really cool people in them. If you want sweethearts, Theforce is the place for ya.

I believe LimitBreak is recruiting. I don't have any member experience in that ls, but I've had friends on it that enjoyed it. Limitbreak is known for getting things done.

Edit: A quick glance at the top searched Odin ls's shows that ProcTheRed is recruiting as well, for a whm/rdm/brd or rng. So if you count whm as your main, you could look into them. I don't have any experience with them, but Upbeat is on that ls so they are probably good.
 Fenrir.Minjo
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2011-11-28 12:10:03
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Dragonstar said: »
I really despise judging people by their gear choices. To me, it's more about how that person treats others, as well as a knowledge of how to play their job, and a willingness to learn and have fun.

Being knowledgeable and gearing correctly are not mutually exclusive. More often than not, you'll not find the former without the latter.

That said, your assertion is still contradictory. Why do you value those who are knowledgeable? Its because knowledgeable players pave a smoother path to accomplishing goals. Being intelligently equipped also sets one up for a similar degree of success. The two are complimentary, and the idea that one matters and the other doesn't is dishonesty for the sake of feelings.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-11-28 12:35:42
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Minjo said: »
Odin.Dragonstar said: »
I really despise judging people by their gear choices. To me, it's more about how that person treats others, as well as a knowledge of how to play their job, and a willingness to learn and have fun.

Being knowledgeable and gearing correctly are not mutually exclusive. More often than not, you'll not find the former without the latter.

That said, your assertion is still contradictory. Why do you value those who are knowledgeable? Its because knowledgeable players pave a smoother path to accomplishing goals. Being intelligently equipped also sets one up for a similar degree of success. The two are complimentary, and the idea that one matters and the other doesn't is dishonesty for the sake of feelings.
I degress. In my humble opinion, I have had more success leading the ignorant than in leading 'elite' players who know everything. Having a core of 'knowledgable players' is essential, but having newer players at a 2/1 or 4/1 ratio even, is just as essential. It's like a pro sports team, surrounding the veterns with rookies.

In addition, there are knowledgable players that may not have the best gear yet perfom exceptionally at each event. More often than not though, a failed event is one person, doing their own thing.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2011-11-28 12:48:42
Link | Citer | R

You don't surround veterans with rookies by choice. Its the unfortunate product of there not being a very high concentration of good players.

If you're suggesting that a mixture of upper echelon and so-so players is going to perform better than a concentrated group of the former in identical circumstances.. I don't even know how to address the problem with that line of thinking.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-11-28 12:51:47
Link | Citer | R

a concentrated group of the former in identical circumstances..
fantasy
 Odin.Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-11-28 12:56:38
Link | Citer | R

You also have to take into account the veteran players who are great on one job, but just starting another job. This is happening more because of the stagger system, I think. People who have been black mages forever are leveling dancer or something for more chances at staggers. And even though they are vet blms with great blm gear, they might only be mediocre dncs with mediocre dnc gear until they figure out whether or not they even like dnc and decide to concentrate on gearing it well. (blm and dnc are just examples here, obviously. It could be any combination of jobs.) That doesn't make the veteran player on a new job a bad player. It just makes them new to that job.

And if they decide they really don't like the new job, but still have it to be more flexible for their ls, who can honestly blame them for not gearing it perfectly?
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-11-28 13:11:44
Link | Citer | R

Liela, where did you and Rues disappear >_>

You're getting me worried.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2011-11-28 13:36:56
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Liltrouble said: »
a concentrated group of the former in identical circumstances..
fantasy

I didn't claim that it was realistic. Just the opposite, in fact. I said that the inevitability wasn't a matter of choice, but a product of the unreasonability of the situation.

You don't surround veterans with rookies by choice. Its the unfortunate product of there not being a very high concentration of good players.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Mosin
Serveur: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2011-11-28 13:49:35
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
Odin.Liela said: »
People who have been black mages forever are leveling dancer or something for more chances at staggers. And even though they are vet blms with great blm gear, they might only be mediocre dncs
are you admitting something here? : p

I will, I have MNK BST & BLM. mnk is slightly above par, bst is damn good, (talking gear/understanding of job) but my blm is just trash, I rock it sometimes, but my focus hasn't been on it. abbyssea has changed that stuff a little. you never could've had a mage to 75 without knowing how to be a mage. I went to 90 in like 3 days, & have always been melee.

meh, what do ya do?
 Odin.Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-11-28 13:49:42
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Sheelay said: »
Liela, where did you and Rues disappear >_>

You're getting me worried.

Aww sorry Shee, we went on vacation for a week for Thanksgiving. We just got back last night. We'd never leave you forever! (without telling you first, anyhow) ^^

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
Odin.Liela said: »
People who have been black mages forever are leveling dancer or something for more chances at staggers. And even though they are vet blms with great blm gear, they might only be mediocre dncs
are you admitting something here? : p

I might possibly be slightly embarrassed when people see my dancer. xD No +2 gear (yet), no epona ring, no loki, old-school peacock necklace... and a twash. xD I got the twash for my thf, I swear! Dnc came later! And blm is my favorite anyways! (Let's not mention that my thf should also be wearing agasaya-whatever necklace, epona ring, and loki.) *cough*
[+]