Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » BLM Gear help
BLM Gear help
 Shiva.Superdan
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2011-06-24 11:01:00
Link | Citer | R

Hey guys. Right, I only just came back to the game around 2 days ago after a long break and trying to get my BLM up to a respectable standard. It had only just shot up from 60-85 around the time the 85 update just came out (I quit maybe 1 week after that update was released) and I had no decent gear for it at all. Right before I quit I did manage to get the thunder and ice obi, but I think that's about it. Just wondering if you guys can point me in the direction of good upgrades that don't need extravagant time investment. Below is my current gear that I've got from whatever was left in my mog house / cruor points. Any advice will help.

P.s. Don't look at the feet.
Oh and the teiwaz is what I'm currently working on. Thunder dmg+. Only at trial 823 so far...
 Fenrir.Ironside
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Ironside
By Fenrir.Ironside 2011-06-24 11:10:50
Link | Citer | R

As a starter set, that's not half bad. Definitely finish that teiwaz, although an Ice one is currently better since Thunder V isn't out yet. Let's see...

First goal there should probably be to aim for AF3+2 in each of the applicable slots. Even the +1s will tie or beat what you currently have in those slots.

Elemental torque isn't a commonly-used piece anymore. Try for a Lemegeton Medallion (or, better, a Goetia Chain) to start. Artemis's Medal is also a good situational neckpiece.

Witchstone in the ammo slot isn't too difficult to acquire, that'll give you a small damage boost. And on the subject of damage boosts, you'll want to aim for a Hecate's Earring. It's a bit of a pain to get, but you'll need to kill Rani sometime anyway. Maybe it's personal taste, but I'd use it over Loquacious.

At the very least, that should get you off to a decent start. If anyone has corrections or better ideas, by all means, share them.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to point out that these suggestions are largely for 90. Most of them will still work for 85 though.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-06-24 11:11:00
Link | Citer | R

-HQ staff's til ToM is done.
-WitchStone for ammo slot.
-At 90 you really don't need elemental skill gear so get rid of neck. There are some good AH ones or shoot Goetia from Bakka.
-Body is fine til AF3+1 or +2
-Hands shoot for Eradico. 100% from Worm in Attowah(sp?) and ppl spam him most groups would give hands up freely.
-Umm.+5, 6, or 7 int rings unless the ones you have augmented with +int.
-back is fine.
-Waist is ok..but there are options at 90 on AH with +7 int or MAB.
-Legs are ok.
-Feet are bad all sorts of bad..use yigit/goliard if you have or even Cobra until you get +1/+2 feet.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-06-24 11:12:04
Link | Citer | R

Basically just go for AF3+2 gear, get the elemental Magian staves, Witchstone, Artemis' Medal/Uggy Pendant, Novio/Hecate's earrings, better INT rings, Searing Cape and probably some INT+ belt unless there's a MAB one I can't think of. I'm not a BLM, but this will help your nuking build significantly.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-06-24 11:13:19
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Zorander said:
-Feet are bad all sorts of bad..use yigit/goliard if you have or even Cobra until you get +1/+2 feet.

There's like a +4 MAB feet from I think a VNM in Abyssea-Konschat.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-24 11:25:07
Link | Citer | R

I try to go for an even balance of Int and Mab. As a Taru, with capped int merits, I can be more liberal, I believe, with my MAB build. I nuke with a 101+51 Int. I like Int on waist, fingers, neck, definately though.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-06-24 11:30:49
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Liltrouble said:
I try to go for an even balance of Int and Mab. As a Taru, with capped int merits, I can be more liberal, I believe, with my MAB build. I nuke with a 101+51 Int. I like Int on waist, fingers, neck, definately though.
Talking outside of abyssea right?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-06-24 11:32:18
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
There's like a +4 MAB feet from I think a VNM in Abyssea-Konschat.
There's also Augur's feet that have 8 int on them which would be decent. I know there's a MAB4 subligar that drops I wanna say in T.canyon but i'm not sure about the shoes.
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-06-24 11:32:26
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
that post feels famiiliar lol

Lolol, here we go...
[+]
 Bahamut.Caelestis
user: Caelestis
By Bahamut.Caelestis 2011-06-24 11:33:05
Link | Citer | R

hate to say, but every BLM needs to invest the time to attain as many/all pieces of +2, they just all cater to BLM too much. The only time i dont nuke in all +2 is when im nuking with the appropriate day/weather (AF 2 pants).

As far as back, really try for Searing Cape, im sure ppl still spam Turul on your server, and whoever is fighting it at the time will more than likely let you have it if you ask nicely, its a very common drop from it, so odds are ppl that are fighting it already have it. Consider investing the time to get as many elemental obis as you can, though most will say getting all is unnecessary, im a completion'ist <_>

If +1/+2 gear isnt an option, and im guessing it aint....try at least for some decent augmented gear from Dominion areas, namely Head/Body pieces, both of those can have some nice augments that could hold you over nicely until you can get better alternatives.

Everything else has already been covered, i know you are asking for gear options that arent too time consuming, unfortunately gearing a well-groomed BLM does in fact take just that...time, a lot of it, gl

edit: im assuming you are asking for info on both inside and outside abyssea, as inside you tend to wanna stack more MAB over INT (duh) and outside you tend to wanna have more of a balance
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-24 11:33:57
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Talking outside of abyssea right?
Definately, lol. I rarely comment on abyssea. Inside abyssea, I nuke with a 101+158 Int, LOL!!! or highter, depending on atmas of course

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-06-24 11:55:05
Link | Citer | R

Holy crap I have blocked out my memories of trying for a Dominion blm body with a MAB augment../shivers.

But yeah spam all T1 trophies on that body +3 MAB or better destorys Teal and even wins over AF3+1 (..this actually might not be true..I can't remember but it sure sounds good so why not.)

And yes to searing. Free and awesome...cept the whole finding/killing him thing.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Ironside
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Ironside
By Fenrir.Ironside 2011-06-24 12:18:02
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Twilight actually outnukes both blm af3+2 head and body+2 combined but the benefits the give destroy twilights.

It's a great stepping stone until them though if by chance you have shinryu access. If not then literae body head can be efficient yeah

I'm not even sure on the first part. The last math I remember seeing shows that often, 2 INT is slightly (slightly!) better than 1 MAB. (The math in this case showed that, for the character doing the math, 1.8 INT = 1 MAB, but it varies by character.) Since +2 head and +2 body give 11 MAB + 8 INT, against Twilight Cloak's 15 MAB, the body/head combination VERY slightly edges out Twilight on damage there, if I'm not mistaken.

I haven't actually parsed it (or, really, even mathed it myself), so if you have, please ignore my post here.
 Shiva.Superdan
Serveur: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2011-06-24 12:34:33
Link | Citer | R

I'm definately trying for Af3+1 at the moment, it's just blm isn't my only, or main, job so working on blm alone would neglect the others. Currently seal hunting for blu, blm will be done after that. I'm also trying to get zone boss wins, complete trials and obtain atmas and other jobs gear etc etc, which is why I didn't want anything TOO time consuming for blm at the moment, but I do plan to kit it out properly over time.

Yeah I'm aware of the atmas I need to collect, gotta get some more wins first though. Going for the Durinn kill tonight and maybe another depending on how busy ls mates are. Also witchstone looks very simple to acquire so I'll go for that today too^^