First Page 2
 Unicorn.Divinian
Serveur: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2011-05-31 10:24:07
Link | Citer | R

Hello everyone..

I have been thinking about doing an MAB Shamshir or two. My ONLY reason at the moment is that I think I can finish the trial in a day or two due to all the trials needing ice weather which is extremely common in the areas that have ice weather. I am working on two STR swords, but it is taking a long time due to a lack of fire weather on Vanadiel outside of the summer season.

Right now, my only reason to make these swords is to have two swords that are better than what I am using (lolrunic analace and beast slayer). I still don't know if that is enough for me to do these trials though. My question...

Will I get ANY use out of MAB swords over the bonus that I could get with H.Q. Staves for magical spells? Will I get any real bonus from the swords at all except for the higher base damage? Anyone have any tips on making STR Shamshirs for the ADHD player?

Thanks for any input...and remember, I know STR are the best of the stat boosting ToM swords...just curious here.
By BorealisV2 2011-05-31 10:26:18
Link | Citer | R

Not the most knowledgable person when it comes to BLU, but I'm pretty sure Mab swords are worthless.
 Cerberus.Kaht
Serveur: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-05-31 10:30:25
Link | Citer | R

BorealisV2 said:
Not the most knowledgable person when it comes to BLU, but I'm pretty sure Mab swords are worthless.

The only use I can think of would be to offhand one when you're trying to maximize your Sanguine Blade damage during a brew for epeen numbers. In the main, you'd want the WS damage +10% machaera.

In other words, it's a waste of time.
 Unicorn.Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2011-05-31 10:57:13
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kaht said:
In other words, it's a waste of time.

So...they'll all laugh at me? ; ;

Well again, I might do them just due to the fact that there are never any falcata on the AH and I need something that's better than the damn runic analace and beast slayer. Once done I can slowly grind out the STR path swords.
 Cerberus.Eliane
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Eliane
By Cerberus.Eliane 2011-05-31 10:58:52
Link | Citer | R

Isn't the DMG+7 Firmament alright for BLU?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Unicorn.Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2011-05-31 11:53:58
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Pretty much "Should I do STR+10 or just use the attack+15% weapon"

Yeah the str one would look stupid for near all situations sadly but your right, nice high base dmg on magian +2s at least to kill some time

This confused me. Did you mean the MAB one would look stupid? My next goal would be to have 2 STR shamshirs while I work on an Almace over the beginning of the summer, but my understanding was that Almace/STR Shamshir is the way to go if possible.

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone...I was really just looking for some other justification for doing the MAB swords, but like I expected I found little more than I thought...they are at least better than what I currently have, lol.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Krsone
Serveur: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-05-31 12:05:15
Link | Citer | R

Thats probably the best use I can think of for it too, to offhand for sanguine during blu, mainhain ws dmg 10% sword.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-05-31 12:25:31
Link | Citer | R

I think 2 MAB swords would outdo the dmg of the HQ staves being there is a mass int bonus to go along with mass MAB... SO if you're in a situation where you're wanting to spam stuff like charged whisker, thurmal pulse, and everyone's grudge, the 2 MAB swords MIGHT NOT be such a bad idea... just sayin..

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-31 12:28:33
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
I think 2 MAB swords would outdo the dmg of the HQ staves being there is a mass int bonus to go along with mass MAB... SO if you're in a situation where you're wanting to spam stuff like charged whisker, thurmal pulse, and everyone's grudge, the 2 MAB swords MIGHT NOT be such a bad idea... just sayin..
Depending on the nuke and your gear/sj/traits/enemy INT it can be slightly better than HQ staves, but only if you're already set up to dual wield and only outside Abyssea. The better your gear, the better staves will be by comparison.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-05-31 12:29:43
Link | Citer | R

.....what? lol I think the main post was asking for a use for the MAB swords...no? I think that would be a situation where it would be useful...idk, perhaps kited stuff that ya just want to hit with long-range spells.... what...? lol
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-31 12:31:08
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
.....what? lol I think the main post was asking for a use for the MAB swords...no? I think that would be a situation where it would be useful...idk, perhaps kited stuff that ya just want to hit with long-range spells.... what...? lol
I have no idea what you just said or how it demonstrates a use for MAB swords.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-05-31 12:33:31
Link | Citer | R

ok...duely noted then Night...its not like I did the 2 MAB shamshirs anyways lol... I just was TRYING to think of a situation they MIGHT be useful.....my bad for trying to think of something to help the OP lol...
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-31 12:38:47
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
ok...duely noted then Night...its not like I did the 2 MAB shamshirs anyways lol... I just was TRYING to think of a situation they MIGHT be useful.....my bad for trying to think of something to help the OP lol...
I never said it was a bad idea, just that I have no clue what you're trying to say. Cut out all the ellipsis and give the post some structure so we at least get the message.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Serveur: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2011-05-31 12:39:39
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Eliane said:
Isn't the DMG+7 Firmament alright for BLU?

Yea, not a bad choice if he doesn't have any high base dmg swords available.

I know thats what I did with my Dominion Notes while trial'in up the STR sword.

To original poster: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Firmament
GL on Augments
 Unicorn.Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2011-05-31 12:45:55
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:

Actually, this information WAS what I was looking for. I wanted to know what the damage due to these swords would look like in relation to the HQ staves...mainly in a charged whisker burn. Even if the difference is minimal...it helps me justify the time put into these trials since they are so easy and I want new swords right now! LOL

Thanks for not ripping me to shreds about this btw. I am looking for a quick fix until I have more time to hang around waiting for fire weather. Now I just hope I don't get /point /laugh in game if I decide to actually go through with it.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-05-31 12:46:00
Link | Citer | R

oh, well I can't type long messages on the PS3 browser (comp is curently down lol) so I'd have to type like 80 posts to get my message across sorry Night lol.. Was tryin to say that 2 MAB swords might be ok on stuff you don't engage as blu and just spell spam..thats it
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-05-31 12:46:42
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
I am working on two STR swords, but it is taking a long time due to a lack of fire weather on Vanadiel outside of the summer season.

AoE burn your mobs on Firesday inside Abyssea. Took me about 5 days or so to finish a STR sword from scratch.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2011-05-31 12:47:54
Link | Citer | R

The best thing about the MAB shamshir trials is your can finish them almost instantly when you go to the AH and buy some ele staves
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-05-31 12:50:03
Link | Citer | R

OP, in a charged whisker build specifically, you'll actually want the Jupiter's Staff. Charged Whisker I believe has a dex mod, so the thunder staff does double duty for the bonus it provides for that spell...
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-31 12:50:40
Link | Citer | R

Unicorn.Divinian said:
I wanted to know what the damage due to these swords would look like in relation to the HQ staves...mainly in a charged whisker burn.
It's not even close inside Abyssea, especially for Charged Whisker. Should definitely be using staves.

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Was tryin to say that 2 MAB swords might be ok on stuff you don't engage as blu and just spell spam..thats it
If you're just spell spamming, opening up the ability to melee is pointless and thus it's precisely as I stated previously.
 Unicorn.Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2011-05-31 12:53:50
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Dova said:
The best thing about the MAB shamshir trials is your can finish them almost instantly when you go to the AH and buy some ele staves
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:
I am working on two STR swords, but it is taking a long time due to a lack of fire weather on Vanadiel outside of the summer season.

AoE burn your mobs on Firesday inside Abyssea. Took me about 5 days or so to finish a STR sword from scratch.

The only thing is that I am usually only in game long enough for about one firesday each rl day...since they are about 7 hours apart from one another. This combined with the fact that I want two of such swords for the time being doubles the whole thing. It could be weeks if I do it that way, but honestly it would probably be the quickest way for me to get the trials done and I plan on doing this soon.

The MAB swords are so easy though that in a night or two I should have two swords that are much better than what I have for the time being.

Quetzalcoatl.Dova said:

Yeah...except that they are not swords.
 Unicorn.Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2011-05-31 12:56:47
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
OP, in a charged whisker build specifically, you'll actually want the Jupiter's Staff. Charged Whisker I believe has a dex mod, so the thunder staff does double duty for the bonus it provides for that spell...

Yes, I normally use Jupiter's with CW and the DEX bonus does help it. INT also helps magical spells as does MAB, but with BA up (which is always) the DEX mod is increased to basically double.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-05-31 12:57:22
Link | Citer | R

Unicorn.Divinian said:
The only thing is that I am usually only in game long enough for about one firesday each rl day...since they are about 7 hours apart from one another. This combined with the fact that I want two of such swords for the time being doubles the whole thing. It could be weeks if I do it that way, but honestly it would probably be the quickest way for me to get the trials done and I plan on doing this soon.

One Firesday is enough to finish most trials!
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-05-31 13:02:23
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Unicorn.Divinian said:

Flans... <_>
 Unicorn.Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2011-05-31 13:04:32
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Unicorn.Divinian said:

Yeah I know...I have a problem being able to see the goal of something when I only work on it an hour a day...so it takes me longer to get motivated. I hope the way I worded that makes sense. If anything...maybe this conversation will force me to start thinking of firesday as get your *** to abyssea day.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-31 13:09:35
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Unicorn.Divinian said:

Flans... <_>
Pretty sure you could do it in a day if you bring a friend or two out to Konschtat.
First Page 2