US Military Law?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » US military law?
US military law?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-08 00:51:05
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Hence, my comprehension comment - which evidently indicates your inability to pay attention to detail. Evidently these facts offend your politically correct perspective.

You can say many things about Jet..

Being pre-occupied over remaining politically correct simply isn't one of them.

Just a thought, but maybe he just disagrees with you? Maybe there's not some greater reason he does, maybe his values are different than yours? I dunno just an idea.. I probably would have come to a thousand different conclusions before accusing him of being politically correct.
 Valefor.Endlesspath
By Valefor.Endlesspath 2011-05-08 00:57:18
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Quote:
Hence, my comprehension comment - which evidently indicates your inability to pay attention to detail. Evidently these facts offend your politically correct perspective.

You can say many things about Jet..

Being pre-occupied over remaining politically correct simply isn't one of them.

Just a thought, but maybe he just disagrees with you? Maybe there's not some greater reason he does, maybe his values are different than yours? I dunno just an idea.. I probably would have come to a thousand different conclusions before accusing him of being politically correct.

Np at all he has a different opinion, I just try to base my opinions on facts vs "feelings"...

I did end my last statement to him with "Enjoy your freedom of opinion, those that served their country paid for it." Didn't I?
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-05-08 01:02:57
Link | Citer | R

80% drop out rate for men going for seals.. Whats the point of arguing if 99% of women would drop out.
 Valefor.Endlesspath
By Valefor.Endlesspath 2011-05-08 01:07:17
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Skarwind said:
80% drop out rate for men going for seals.. Whats the point of arguing if 99% of women would drop out.

It's all about maintaining standards, thats my point. I don't care who gets what job/position/etc, as long as they meet/exceed a consistently applied set of standards.
 Carbuncle.Mythikah
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Mythikah
By Carbuncle.Mythikah 2011-05-08 10:04:20
Link | Citer | R

But I'm not talking about "most" men and women, I'm talking about those that have what it takes. No good reason for prohibiting those people. I agree that most women wouldn't be able to do it, but all your points on physical prowess are nil if a woman can pass the right tests. She has all those tough qualities if she does. The bone density argument is questionable. And you know, if a guy is so much as smacked in the balls, he becomes completely incapacitated, and you wouldn't want that! Haha.

I'm not sure exactly what causes society to evolve and change, but I'm hoping the US is eventually going to respect women the special forces, if they can satisfy the requirements. That "babysitting" comment you said annoyed me so much. It goes to show how perceptions of men and women are still really old-timey in certain ways -.- If it's so awful to mix the genders, why not segregate them in every single aspect of life? What if a female civilian gets hurt during a mission, will the men go crazy then as well? I just find this reasoning illogical.

Women and men fight together in all sorts of instances in other countries, and I think they can handle it. I doubt everything would be ruined if they change this law, and I really think it's worth it.
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-05-08 10:09:50
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Mythikah said:
What if a female civilian gets hurt during a mission, will the men go crazy then as well? I just find this reasoning illogical.

The civilians are not part of your core team who are responsible for your life and possible death. The bond you share with your core unit is stronger then that which you share with friends and/or family.

Hence units calling their guys "brothers" and getting their names tattooed on their *** (joke, i hope)..

You cannot compare how a member of a unit reacts to a civilian death/injury to the death or injury to another unit member.

Just wanted to point out what I felt was a flawed statement. :)
 Asura.Ina
Serveur: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-05-08 10:36:34
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Mythikah said:
And you know, if a guy is so much as smacked in the balls, he becomes completely incapacitated, and you wouldn't want that! Haha.

Only in movies and TV is this the case. Yes it hurts like a *** but only at the lower end of physical fortitude will compleatly incapacitated be the case. With the levels of fortitude required of navy seals id guess at most you would get a grunt? and they do make protective gear for balls...

Honestly theres a thread here full of good reasons why this is the case... Yes these reasons are tied to the fact that they are a woman but thats just how the cookie crumbles.
 Cerberus.Jerseymarine
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Jerseymarine 2011-05-08 10:39:17
Link | Citer | R

OK, here goes. I spent 4 years Active duty in the United States Marine Corps, and received a Combat Action Ribbon from serving in Iraq in 03. i actually love arguments over this issue because it comes down to 1 thing over all. no matter what your feelings are on the matter the FACT is that females do NOT have to meet the same standards to join the Military. IF females have the same standards i am ALL FOR it but the FACT is they do not.i knew 2 females in the entire 4 years i spent in the marines that took the Male PFT because they wanted to be EQUAL. 2 of them, thats it. the rest wanted to be treated as equals but REFUSED to have to follow the same STANDARDS for men. the WHOLE country threw a fit because we had a Female get captured in combat, and when she and the 2 or 3 men she was with got rescued they gave HER a Bronze star, but NOT to the other men that got captured with her.
When and IF females can be held to the same standards to get in the military i will be ALL for it, but you cant expect females to be able to be Recon or Seals if they have less requirements to begin with to get in the Military..
[+]
 Cerberus.Oblit
Serveur: Cerberus
user: oblit
By Cerberus.Oblit 2011-05-08 11:35:49
Link | Citer | R

I agree with Jerseymarine. I've been in Active duty military for 9 years now.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Mythikah
By Carbuncle.Mythikah 2011-05-08 11:42:50
Link | Citer | R

Good point. Wish they could have the same sort of bond with "sisters" as well though ._.

At least you agree with me on the principle though. Also, feelings are not part of the issue, I'm focusing on fact as well. I'm guessing you're worried that if they change the law to let women try out, you think people will then want the standards lowered, but that's exactly what I don't want :( But I also don't want women to be completely unable to be firemen, policemen, etc. like Angel was talking about. Ugh this topic is making my head hurt now.
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-05-08 11:50:28
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Mythikah said:

Good point. Wish they could have the same sort of bond with "sisters" as well though ._.

They do, and theat is exactly my point. We are their SISTERS, and what man does not want to protect his sister from all harm and rages when they are hurt ? Its a difference in thinking in gender, not one you can easily fix..It is how it is, just like MOST women are raised to believe big brother will protect us, daddy will protect us...

i see where you are going with this argument and agree with the principle, but there are tooo many flaws for it to be viable I believe.

Also- in MY dept, I had to meet the set standard, not a female vs male standard in every advanced training certification there is (like JAWS of life cert, deep water rescue etc)

I like it...Means I am equal.
 Carbuncle.Mythikah
By Carbuncle.Mythikah 2011-05-08 12:07:16
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Angelskiss said:
Carbuncle.Mythikah said:

They do, and theat is exactly my point. We are their SISTERS, and what man does not want to protect his sister from all harm and rages when they are hurt ? Its a difference in thinking in gender, not one you can easily fix..It is how it is, just like MOST women are raised to believe big brother will protect us, daddy will protect us...

i see where you are going with this argument and agree with the principle, but there are tooo many flaws for it to be viable I believe.

Also- in MY dept, I had to meet the set standard, not a female vs male standard in every advanced training certification there is (like JAWS of life cert, deep water rescue etc)

I like it...Means I am equal.

Yeah I guess you're right, but ideally I think it's something we should be moving towards someday. Same with lots of other issues that are super difficult to fix with society as it is now. Discussing it is one of the first steps eh :D?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8