Religious Activity Does Not Lower Blood Pressure.

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Religious activity does not lower blood pressure.
Religious activity does not lower blood pressure.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-05-03 20:55:00
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
A survey of 200 residents of Maywood, Ill., found no statistically significant association between most measures of religiosity and lower blood pressure. And in one measure of religiosity -- bringing religion into other dealings in life -- people who were more religious actually had higher blood pressure.

Source

So religion makes you fattier (according to previous studies) and now not only does not help with blood pressure, but according to recent studies may even increase blood pressure.

Do you think these studies have gotten out of hand or do you think there is some validity to them? More specifically this one.
[+]
By Spencyono 2011-05-03 20:56:17
Link | Citer | R

Bigger sample.
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-05-03 20:57:53
Link | Citer | R

I've seen one that also says religion makes you dumber.

I'll keep silent on my own opinion about it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-05-03 21:02:05
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Hohenheim said:

I thought it was something to the effect of if you have brain damage you're more susceptible to being religious.

(I'm not trolling.)
[+]
 Shiva.Darkmacabre
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkmacabre 2011-05-03 21:03:41
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Niniann said:

I thought it was something to the effect of if you have brain damage you're more susceptible to being religious.

(I'm not trolling.)

If that's the case I can see why religion is so common.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-05-03 21:06:41
Link | Citer | R

Link(s)?
 Asura.Silvaria
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-05-03 21:08:00
Link | Citer | R

Actually, an examination of demographics easily reveals that the more educated a person is, the less likely they are to be religious. I'm not slamming religion in the least, just stating a noted fact.
[+]
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-05-03 21:16:05
Link | Citer | R

The incredibly relevant hypertensive religious demographic must be shitting themselves right now.

Those blasted fools!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-05-03 21:27:34
Link | Citer | R

I think blood pressure is a more viable measured link to religious activity than weight gain. With weight gain there are many factors which exceed the normal religious activity, whereas in the case of blood pressure there does not exist too many varying factors.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-05-03 21:33:51
Link | Citer | R

Are you actually being serious?
[+]
 Phoenix.Tunafests
user: Tunafests
By Phoenix.Tunafests 2011-05-03 21:34:59
Link | Citer | R

But activities like prayer have much the same health benefits as meditation (it basically is meditation).
[+]
 Phoenix.Wackatramp
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2011-05-03 21:36:07
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Quote:
A survey of 200 residents of Maywood, Ill., found no statistically significant association between most measures of religiosity and lower blood pressure. And in one measure of religiosity -- bringing religion into other dealings in life -- people who were more religious actually had higher blood pressure.

Source

So religion makes you fattier (according to previous studies) and now not only does not help with blood pressure, but according to recent studies may even increase blood pressure.

Do you think these studies have gotten out of hand or do you think there is some validity to them? More specifically this one.

This is the reason why a cure to cancer hasn't been found yet. Some dumb f^cks are trying to figure stuff like this out first. My eyes are bleeding while my head is shaking.

You know, if people left religion alone regardless of their opinions and pride, people might actually get stuff done for once.
[+]
 Valefor.Pewpeww
Serveur: Valefor
user: Enygma3
By Valefor.Pewpeww 2011-05-03 23:15:02
Link | Citer | R

religion just makes you dumber.
[+]
 Odin.Liela
Serveur: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-05-03 23:22:43
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Tunafests said:
But activities like prayer have much the same health benefits as meditation (it basically is meditation).

I do agree with you that prayer is basically meditation, however, my religious family would not see it that way in the least. They believe that prayer is truly talking to God while meditation is a sin because it empties the mind, which allows Satan to get in. No joke, that's what my old church believed.

Like I said, I agree with you. But never tell a religious person that meditation and prayer are similar. You'll get bellowed at, poor guy. :-(
By Artemicion 2011-05-03 23:23:49
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Wackatramp said:

This is the reason why a cure to cancer hasn't been found yet. Some dumb f^cks are trying to figure stuff like this out first. My eyes are bleeding while my head is shaking.

You know, if people left religion alone regardless of their opinions and pride, people might actually get stuff done for once.

Except, this has no relevance to the research to cure cancer.
It's a study to get a more in depth look at our mental demographics that relates to a drastic majority of the human population.
The more we know about ourselves as humans, the more answers we can unlock to better ourselves including that of medicinal properties.
By Artemicion 2011-05-03 23:26:19
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Liela said:
Phoenix.Tunafests said:

I do agree with you that prayer is basically meditation, however, my religious family would not see it that way in the least. They believe that prayer is truly talking to God while meditation is a sin because it empties the mind, which allows Satan to get in. No joke, that's what my old church believed.

Like I said, I agree with you. But never tell a religious person that meditation and prayer are similar. You'll get bellowed at, poor guy. :-(

Meditation and prayer are similar in mental stance taken to alleviate outside influences and essentially "clear" one's mind. However, the motivations therein are quite different, and unfortunately, as demonstrated by your folks and other religious followers, it becomes rather counter-productive to being in the likeness of meditation. If anything that attitude is downright unhealthy.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-05-03 23:27:07
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Pewpeww said:

Religion doesn't make you dumber.
It makes you more closed-minded and prejudiced.

It shouldn't surprise anyone to learn that openly devoutly
religious people have higher blood pressure. They tend to be "Type-A" people (people who prefer control, order, discipline, predictability, etc.).
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-05-03 23:27:38
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Tunafests said:

Activities like prayer and meditation aren't religion however. They're merely tools used by religion. I'm sure there's ancient religions that had foot races in honor of Gods, but you don't go saying running and runners are all religious activities for religious people.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-05-03 23:30:05
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:
Odin.Liela said:
Phoenix.Tunafests said:

Meditation and prayer are similar in mental stance taken to alleviate outside influences and essentially "clear" one's mind. However, the motivations therein are quite different, and unfortunately, as demonstrated by your folks and other religious followers, it becomes rather counter-productive to being in the likeness of meditation. If anything that attitude is downright unhealthy.

There's other types of meditation than zen meditation though. It doesn't all have to be clearing the mind to attain enlightenment (yeah I think it's very selfish and counterproductive actually too, this kind all the time)
By Artemicion 2011-05-03 23:31:37
Link | Citer | R

Hmmm yeah, I mean meditation is kind of a universal activity as far as what you do, but the motivations and purpose therein is what changes it from zen to prayer or otherwise. I hope that sorta makes sense.
By zahrah 2011-05-03 23:38:03
Link | Citer | R

Spencyono said:
Bigger sample.

Agreed! Maybe not a sample exclusively from the Mid-West too!
 Sylph.Cossack
Serveur: Sylph
user: sandman16
By Sylph.Cossack 2011-05-03 23:39:01
Link | Citer | R

I quit smoking and got fatter, think that may have something to do with religion?
 Odin.Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-05-03 23:40:55
Link | Citer | R

You two do make sense, Artemicion and Hohenheim. It's unfortunate, but true. I was given the silent treatment for weeks after my stepmother found out I signed up for a yoga class in college, because the meditation was sure to just turn me into a demonic little nymph. At least in her opinion. :/

I was surprised at Elanabelle's pointing out that many religious people are Type A personalities. I had never thought about it so it startled me, but in my experience, that is also very true. (Obviously my experience is limited to my family, and many of them have the same personality types just for all being in the same family, however. So my experience is not exactly an unbiased and perfect thing to base ideas of off.)
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-05-03 23:41:26
Link | Citer | R

Indeed the sample is far too small to give any significant or conclusive results. Need thousands to even get a hint at what correlation there is between the dos and donts, especially with something as wishy-washy and vague as religion.

Not to mention there are countless subjective and relative conditions that trigger the same outcome. Too much conflicting data to give a concrete answer.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-05-04 00:32:00
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:

religious people have higher blood pressure. They tend to be "Type-A" people (people who prefer control, order, discipline, predictability, etc.).
Since when is this true at all?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-05-04 00:34:17
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Liela said:
Phoenix.Tunafests said:

I feel for ya... seems like kind of an uncomfortable situation. But do you seriously think this is how all religious people are?
 Bahamut.Serj
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-05-04 00:48:41
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:

Since never. Just a baseless generalization.
[+]
 Odin.Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-05-04 00:56:23
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Odin.Liela said:
Phoenix.Tunafests said:

I feel for ya... seems like kind of an uncomfortable situation. But do you seriously think this is how all religious people are?

Not all, certainly. Just the ones I grew up with. Admittedly, that is a very small group for me to take my impressions from. I grew up in a very strict Baptist household, and I highly doubt all Baptists are even as gung-ho about the whole thing as my parents are, much less other denominations or other religions entirely.
 Bahamut.Weasel
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Weasel
By Bahamut.Weasel 2011-05-04 01:00:55
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Serj said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:

Since never. Just a baseless generalization.

Yeah, most Buddhists I know, for example, don't fit that description at all.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6